Caledonia(1) vs Waterloo(4), Sutherland Cup Semifinals Playoff Thread, & Predictions

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

Caledonia(1) vs Waterloo(4), Sutherland Cup Semifinals Playoff Thread, & Predictions

Post by Port hockey1 »

We all know how good Caledonia is. They do everything right out there. Waterloo rely's heavily on their top line, and solid goaltending.

Prediction: Caledonia in 4
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
HockeyTalk21

Re: Caledonia(1) vs Waterloo(4), Sutherland Cup Semifinals Predictions

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

Waterloo looked awful on games 2,3 and 4. Goaltending needed to be better as well as rest of team. I see the Corvairs emerging victorious in this series.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I think this series ends quickly. I'm predicting another Niagra falls series
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Don't know to much about Waterloo. I know there a good young club.
Did they have a lot of injures against Stratford. Because they took care of Listowel and Kitchener pretty easy.
Caledonia can't take them for granted. Waterloo has nothing to lose.
I don't think Waterloo is a better team than St Kitts was.
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

Cali vairs! wrote:I think this series ends quickly. I'm predicting another Niagra falls series
I agree. This one should end very quickly and decisively.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Agree with Beehive and Cali, this series will be over quickly. I will say it again, the Corvairs are going to go undefeated in this Sutherland Cup play-downs. Not saying this to down play the talent on the remaining teams in theses play downs, just saying this because the Corvairs are so strong throughout their lineup.. :)
flyers2011

Re: Caledonia(1) vs Waterloo(4), Sutherland Cup Semifinals Playoff Thread, & Predictions

Post by flyers2011 »

Caledonia in 4....scoring 35-40 goals
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Re: Caledonia(1) vs Waterloo(4), Sutherland Cup Semifinals Playoff Thread, & Predictions

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:Caledonia in 4....scoring 35-40 goals
I love playing the goal guessing game...

I'll say they score 25. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Waterloo will give them a tough time esp if there goalie gets hot I see this a six game series.
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

Port hockey1 wrote:
flyers2011 wrote:Caledonia in 4....scoring 35-40 goals
I love playing the goal guessing game...

I'll say they score 25. :)
The first game should be the lowest scoring as each team needs time for the feeling-out process. Once the Corvairs figure out the Siskins game plan I think the scores should elevate from there. I hope that I am wrong for more than anything else to keep the series interesting.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Schedule:

CAL vs WAT
Apr 13th, 7:30pm
Haldimand Center

CAL vs WAT
Apr 16th, 7:30pm
Haldimand Center

WAT vs CAL
Apr 17th, 1:30pm
Waterloo Rec Complex

WAT vs CAL
Apr 19th, 7:30pm
Waterloo Rec Complex

CAL vs WAT
Apr 20th, 7:30pm
Haldimand Center

WAT vs CAL
Apr 22nd, 7:30pm
Waterloo Rec Complex

CAL vs WAT
Apr 23rd, 7:30pm
Haldimand Center
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Semifinal Preview

Regular season record:

Caledonia- 43-4-1-2(1st)

Waterloo- 20-27-0-3(6th)

How they got here:

Caledonia- swept St.Catharines 4-0 in the GHL finals.

Waterloo- Lost Mid-West final 4-1 to Stratford, won the wildcard.

Playoff scoring leaders:

Caledonia:

1.C.Pawley 12 games- 12-27--39
2.M.Fitzmorris 10 games- 13-16--29
3.M.Hore 12 games- 12-16--28
4.T.Hill 12 games- 11-13--24
5.B.Luscombe 11 games- 7-17--24

Waterloo:

1.C.Jean 14 games- 12-9--21
2.N.Schnarr 11 games- 6-8--14
3.L.Goodman 14 games- 5-6--11
4.J.Slegers(D) 14 games- 1-10--11
5.O.Kipke(D) 14 games- 2-8--10

Top goalies:

Caledonia- M.Sinclair 11-0, 2 shutouts, 1.70 GAA, .921 SV%

Waterloo- M.Datz 9-4 3.24 GAA, .910 SV%

Team playoff stats:

Caledonia- 99 goals, 19 goals against, 342 penalty minutes, 6-0 at home, 6-0 on the road.

Waterloo- 44 goals, 51 goals against, 305 penalty minutes, 4-2 at home, 5-3 on the road.

Team injuries:

Caledonia- Forward D.Volpe has 1 game left to serve from his 2 game suspension, while forward M.Graham hasn't played since the 1st round. Defensemen A.Brown who led the GOJHL in defense scoring this season has yet to play a game in the playoffs. Defensemen J.Schaefer hasn't played since the 1st round.

Waterloo- Forwards G.Mantz & R.Sparkes missed their last game, as did defensemen V.Robbins.

A little bit about these teams:

Caledonia is a powerhouse that's 4 lines deep. They do every little thing extremely well on the ice, and Waterloo won't have a fighting chance against them. Caledonia has wen't 12-0 in these playoffs, despite being without 40 goal scorer J.Brown for the first 10 games, and being 3 defensemen down for quite a while, including their top defensemen.

The Mid-West just didn't have all that much talent this season. How else does a 6th seed that rely's on one line sweep the 3rd seed, then breeze past the division winner in 5 games??? Not much to debate here. Waterloo has no business being here and it will show.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

That is incredibly insulting, not only to Waterloo, but to the entire Midwestern Conference. Waterloo worked their asses off to get where they are. At the start of the season, nobody thought they were going to make the play-offs, and now they're heading into the 4th round.

There are teams that turn it on at play-offs and Waterloo is that team this year.

But, here is my preview for the Sutherland Cup Semi-Final.

http://overtimesportsnation.com/oha-sut ... mi-finals/
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Port hockey1 wrote:Semifinal Preview

Regular season record:

Caledonia- 43-4-1-2(1st)

Waterloo- 20-27-0-3(6th)

How they got here:

Playoff scoring leaders:

Caledonia:

Waterloo:

Top goalies:

Team playoff stats:

Caledonia- 99 goals, 19 goals against, 342 penalty minutes, 6-0 at home, 6-0 on the road.

Waterloo- 44 goals, 51 goals against, 305 penalty minutes, 4-2 at home, 5-3 on the road.

Team injuries:

Caledonia- Forward D.Volpe has 1 game left to serve from his 2 game suspension, while forward M.Graham hasn't played since the 1st round. Defensemen A.Brown who led the GOJHL in defense scoring this season has yet to play a game in the playoffs. Defensemen J.Schaefer hasn't played since the 1st round.

Waterloo- Forwards G.Mantz & R.Sparkes missed their last game, as did defensemen V.Robbins.

Caledonia is a powerhouse that's 4 lines deep. They do every little thing extremely well on the ice, and Waterloo won't have a fighting chance against them. Caledonia has wen't 12-0 in these playoffs, despite being without 40 goal scorer J.Brown for the first 10 games, and being 3 defensemen down for quite a while, including their top defensemen.

The Mid-West just didn't have all that much talent this season. How else does a 6th seed that rely's on one line sweep the 3rd seed, then breeze past the division winner in 5 games??? Not much to debate here. Waterloo has no business being here and it will show.
No team is going to beat Caledonia so if we go off by what your saying then no team deserves to be there.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:That is incredibly insulting, not only to Waterloo, but to the entire Midwestern Conference. Waterloo worked their asses off to get where they are. At the start of the season, nobody thought they were going to make the play-offs, and now they're heading into the 4th round.

There are teams that turn it on at play-offs and Waterloo is that team this year.

But, here is my preview for the Sutherland Cup Semi-Final.

http://overtimesportsnation.com/oha-sut ... mi-finals/
I gave my opinion, it is not insulting it's true! This isn't a place where we talk about the good and sweep the negative under the rug.

The Mid-West was clearly watered down, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take a shot at Waterloo. More like taking shots at Listowel & Kitchener. Waterloo worked hard, but they did lose in 5 against Stratford... I'm proud of their players for being here... But that doesn't mean I'm not going to say it how it is.
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GOJHLfan1 wrote:

Regular season record:

Caledonia- 43-4-1-2(1st)

Waterloo- 20-27-0-3(6th)

How they got here:

Playoff scoring leaders:

Caledonia:

Waterloo:

Top goalies:

Team playoff stats:

Team injuries:

No team is going to beat Caledonia so if we go off by what your saying then no team deserves to be there.
I'm pretty sure the winner of the Stratford vs London series will give Caledonia a good run. Caledonia won't go undefeated.

How doesn't London & Stratford deserve to be here? They were at the top of their divisions. A 6th seed that finished several games below .500 is the team that shouldn't be here.

Why not... Because they were eliminated in a quick 5 games! They couldn't even skate with Stratford when they were on top of their game. So breezing past Listowel & Kitchener tells me the division is watered down.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Port's right this time. Waterloo will be demolished by the Corvairs. When you look at the Siskins roster and season record, it's a miracle they got as far as they did. And when you compare their roster and season record to the Corvairs, the numbers speak for themselves. I'll be rooting for Waterloo and wish them the very best, with no disrespect, but they don't have a hope. They will be small boys playing among large men. Leamington would have been a much more deserving, credible and viable wildcard team to enter the race, or perhaps St Catharines -- but we know how well the Falcons fared against Caledonia. The Flyers might have at least given Caledonia a battle, but even they would still be unlikely to manage better than a few close games.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Port hockey1 wrote:
GOJHLfan1 wrote:

Regular season record:

Caledonia- 43-4-1-2(1st)

Waterloo- 20-27-0-3(6th)

How they got here:

Playoff scoring leaders:

Caledonia:

Waterloo:

Top goalies:

Team playoff stats:

Team injuries:

I'm pretty sure the winner of the Stratford vs London series will give Caledonia a good run. Caledonia won't go undefeated.

How doesn't London & Stratford deserve to be here? They were at the top of their divisions. A 6th seed that finished several games below .500 is the team that shouldn't be here.

Why not... Because they were eliminated in a quick 5 games! They couldn't even skate with Stratford when they were on top of their game. So breezing past Listowel & Kitchener tells me the division is watered down.
Your right they wont go undefeated but I dont think it goes more then 5 or 6. Who said London and Stratford do not deserve to be there? Of course they do they are both great teams and that is why they are there but they do not have a chance of beating Cally either if you ask me. Who should be there over Waterloo? Do not try and tell me St Catharines because the GHC was a joke this year and Caledonia beat them just as easy as they will Waterloo. Nice to see a different team for once.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Never take Teams lightly. That's what Kitchener did (even though Kitchener did. I could see the team that lost to Stratford beating Kitchener. Kitchener wasn't very good when I saw them. Midwest was not very deep this year. Stratford is A pretty decent team and I think they are the right team to represent the Midwest. But it's a new time of year and that's when weird stuff can happen. Look at lasalle last year.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:Never take Teams lightly. That's what Kitchener did (even though Kitchener did. I could see the team that lost to Stratford beating Kitchener. Kitchener wasn't very good when I saw them. Midwest was not very deep this year. Stratford is A pretty decent team and I think they are the right team to represent the Midwest. But it's a new time of year and that's when weird stuff can happen. Look at lasalle last year.
Exactly, the playoffs are a whole new game. Regular season standings does not mean anything for MOST teams.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

by RocketGirl »

I got a message from a Siskins Assistant Coach saying that his team needs a little confidence going into this Sutherland Cup Semi-Final.
Well if my preview isn't motivation... I don't know what is. Post what I wrote on their dressing room wall. If that doesn't motivate them, then they really shouldn't be here.

But that above quote makes it easy to see why my preview upset you. :wink:

Funny how you're all of a sudden so politically correct in your posts. It wouldn't have anything to do with a certain magazine you now write for, would it. :?: :idea:

I'm going to remind you of something. You were laughing and making fun of Tanner Ferguson after he had his face caved in several years ago. Just because you write for blueline now doesn't mean you can take back all of the terrible things you've said over the years on here. Think about that. :smt003 :smt004 :smt006
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I think their gonna need more than just motivation. Cali is a whole different beast than Kitchener. If people they think Stratford is physical than they better keep their heads up or their gonna drop like flys. I hope Waterloo can make the games close but I'm not counting on it if they play like they did against stratty
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I have 2 articles written for the OHA now, and yes that's part of it, but I'm also almost 32 years olday. I'm matured and not the same 20 year old I was when I first got on here.

That incident happened over 4 years ago now, and how do you know I was laughing about it and making fun of Tanner? Were you at that game, because I wasn't. And I seem to recall that I didn't really respond to the topics about it at the time because a) it was a serious matter involving my team b) I wasn't at the game, so I didn't see it happen, just some video that the Preds leaked to media sources and c) I received a threat of a lawsuit from our then President regarding the topics.

But we're not discussing the incident because it happened over 4 years ago and has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on in the league today.

But I have no regrets about anything I've said on here. They are my opinion at the time and like you, I have the right to voice my opinion.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:I have 2 articles written for the OHA now, and yes that's part of it, but I'm also almost 32 years olday. I'm matured and not the same 20 year old I was when I first got on here.

That incident happened over 4 years ago now, and how do you know I was laughing about it and making fun of Tanner? Were you at that game, because I wasn't. And I seem to recall that I didn't really respond to the topics about it at the time because a) it was a serious matter involving my team b) I wasn't at the game, so I didn't see it happen, just some video that the Preds leaked to media sources and c) I received a threat of a lawsuit from our then President regarding the topics.

But we're not discussing the incident because it happened over 4 years ago and has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on in the league today.

But I have no regrets about anything I've said on here. They are my opinion at the time and like you, I have the right to voice my opinion.
I know for a fact that you were laughing about it and calling him 'Golden-Boy'. 4 years ago or not, just pointing out people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :wink:
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Yep, he was the Golden Boy. I dont deny that I've called him that. He could do no wrong. We were the bad guys in that situation, but again, that is not being discussed.

You guys all throw stones at my team, so don't be surprised when I chuck them back.
Queen of the GOJHL

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:Yep, he was the Golden Boy. I dont deny that I've called him that. He could do no wrong. We were the bad guys in that situation, but again, that is not being discussed.

You guys all throw stones at my team, so don't be surprised when I chuck them back.
That's fine with me. I love a great discussion. I just get a little riled up about hypocrisy at times.

Have a good night. :)
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove or why you all like to throw the things I've said years ago back in my face. That was then and this is now. You maybe haven't, but I've matured over the years. It's probably a good thing you can't access my posts from 2004-2007 because I used to argue with myself between my different profiles and would hurl all sorts of personal attacks at myself.

Yes, I write for the OHA, and yes I'd like to have some sort of official capacity with the GOJHL, and in order to achieve that, I have to be political correct and show that I can be objective.

You asked in the other thread why I brought up the Caledonia thing. I didn't cover the Shoe this season, so this was the first preview of them, outside of the Showcase. And all I stated was facts, not my opinion. I've already written an opinion piece about it, which got all of you up I'm arms about it to begin with, I'm not writing another one because there's no point.
Queen of the GOJHL

Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

RocketGirl
(Login RocketGirl16)
Re: Can the Siskins test the Corvairs?...No score for this post April 13 2016, 9:31 AM

When Pawley was 16, he was signed by the London Nationals and they traded him to Lambton Shores Predators where he finished his season before jumping to the OHL.

In my opinion, this 'Caledonia Thing' is about more than how many 20 year olds they have on their roster. It's who those 20 year olds are and how and why they are playing for Caledonia. I've heard from different people the incentives the players have received this season. I've also heard what they're reward is if they complete the 3-peat. All of Caledonia's fans, there's about 5 of them, believe that they will continue to be a powerhouse even with the new rules because success breeds success. We'll see how mighty they are if/when their owners scale back the money they've been spending.

This was on the OJ forum today from the "objective" Rocketgirl.

This is from the "objective" Rocketgirl
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

Good seats at the rink tonight in Caledonia, since there is only about 5 of us.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Cali vairs! wrote:I think their gonna need more than just motivation. Cali is a whole different beast than Kitchener. If people they think Stratford is physical than they better keep their heads up or their gonna drop like flys. I hope Waterloo can make the games close but I'm not counting on it if they play like they did against stratty
Yeah I think the same as well. I've only seen 2 Cali games this year (against Pelham and St. Catherines) and Caledonia reminds me of a steam roller just crushing everything in sight. I think Caledonia will take it in 5, Waterloo could take game 1 from a well rested Corvairs team