And the Caledonia debate continues, with plenty of false statements

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

And the Caledonia debate continues, with plenty of false statements

Post by Port hockey1 »

Lot's of talk about the new rule, and about Caledonia on the other forum. This includes comments that simply aren't true.

Here's a link;
http://www.network54.com/Forum/626310/t ... -Year-Olds
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Vairs61

Re: And the Caledonia debate continues, with plenty of false statements

Post by Vairs61 »

I hope Caledonia loads up again next yr with top level players aged 19, and sticks it to the league again.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Vairs61 wrote:I hope Caledonia loads up again next yr with top level players aged 19, and sticks it to the league again.
You and me both! :D
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

I hope they falter tired of the same team wining.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

three dog night wrote:I hope they falter tired of the same team wining.
That's how the league's always been... The same teams winning their league's for several straight years. I'm used to it.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

But it gets boring and we want other teams at the top.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
GojhlFan74

Post by GojhlFan74 »

^ then build better programs....
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

RocketGirl wrote:But it gets boring and we want other teams at the top.
To under stand Caledonia Corvairs. You have to go back to the MWJBHL. From around 1987 to about 2004. 18 years of below .500 hockey.
When they were the Ohsweken Golden Eagles they were worst then Pelham. In 1997-1998 they went 48-0-47-1
It's been a long road to get to where they are now. In one way or another they have stayed the course. A few name changes and a few moves.
So Caledonia (Brantford) in the last few years have seen there hard work starting to pay off.
RocketGirl if Caledonia 3 peats this year that's the story and how they got there. Waterloo would be a good story too. Just think if Waterloo ends up playing Caledonia in the Sutherland Cup finals. But there's still a long way to go one game at time for all the teams that are still alive. If this is getting boring for you to watch, then watch some NHL that's boring. You want other teams on top.This will happen it took Caledonia (Brantford) almost 20 years. Of all the people on this forum you should know this best.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

three dog night wrote:I hope they falter tired of the same team wining.
More changes are needed if true parity will come.

It's hard for many teams when the top centers (London for example) have to "release" the top AAA Midget players because they own the rights to London players at this level. Players should be free to try out and play for whoever they want.

Most teams have budgets for billeting players, so most teams couldn't have a team full of out of towners - they'd have to be selective and still fill the ranks with locals, but it would allow teams like Strathroy/St Thomas from having to take the London Jr Knights leftovers after the Nats had picked the best.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Part of the Nats recruitment process, and it has been for years, is that when a team like Strathroy or St. Thomas or St. Marys asks for a release for a kid, that they have never heard of, the Nats immediately say NO, we need to look at him first. That's why people think we get their 'cast offs'.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
gojhlrules

Post by gojhlrules »

Caledonia Fan wrote:
To under stand Caledonia Corvairs. You have to go back to the MWJBHL. From around 1987 to about 2004. 18 years of below .500 hockey.
When they were the Ohsweken Golden Eagles they were worst then Pelham. In 1997-1998 they went 48-0-47-1
It's been a long road to get to where they are now. In one way or another they have stayed the course. A few name changes and a few moves.
So Caledonia (Brantford) in the last few years have seen there hard work starting to pay off.
RocketGirl if Caledonia 3 peats this year that's the story and how they got there. Waterloo would be a good story too. Just think if Waterloo ends up playing Caledonia in the Sutherland Cup finals. But there's still a long way to go one game at time for all the teams that are still alive. If this is getting boring for you to watch, then watch some NHL that's boring. You want other teams on top.This will happen it took Caledonia (Brantford) almost 20 years. Of all the people on this forum you should know this best.
Was it the same owner in Brantford that's in Caledonia now? If not not too hard to figure out why the sudden success...$$$$$$$$$$$$$
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

gojhlrules wrote:
Caledonia Fan wrote:
Was it the same owner in Brantford that's in Caledonia now? If not not too hard to figure out why the sudden success...$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Brantford was good before they moved to Caledonia. They won the Sutherland cup few years back against Stoney Creek.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

GOJHLfan1 wrote: Brantford was good before they moved to Caledonia. They won the Sutherland cup few years back against Stoney Creek.
But lost to LaSalle in 2010, and St. Catherines in 2012 before moving to Caledonia
gojhlrules

Post by gojhlrules »

Same owner in Brantford that's in Caledonia now?
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I don't know for sure how long Peter, Kenny and Jerry have been ownership. I'm a Caledonia Corvair fan. All i know there's a good story by Mr. Brain Rizzetto last page of the 2015/16 official program. About him and his son a must read for any hockey parent. But in the article he mention helping out a struggling JR-B local hockey team and they were getting new owners and that was almost 14 years ago.That ownership was Peter, Kenny and Jerry.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

jfvoll wrote:
GOJHLfan1 wrote: Brantford was good before they moved to Caledonia. They won the Sutherland cup few years back against Stoney Creek.
But lost to LaSalle in 2010, and St. Catherines in 2012 before moving to Caledonia
Your right but they were still good enough to make it there.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

RocketGirl wrote:Part of the Nats recruitment process, and it has been for years, is that when a team like Strathroy or St. Thomas or St. Marys asks for a release for a kid, that they have never heard of, the Nats immediately say NO, we need to look at him first. That's why people think we get their 'cast offs'.
Wouldn't surprise me a bit -- just more or less believe the league needs to do away with teams owning the rights of players just because they were born there. Force teams to do the dirty work and actually scout and recruit. It'll allow smaller centers a bit more of a chance.

In Cambridge, we always have to work a bit harder to be competitive -- the minor midget and midget programs in Cambridge are AWFUL. And when we want to look at kids from Waterloo, Kitchener, Brantford -- they usually say no, from what I understand.

I've always wondered if a draft would work at the OJ and GOJ levels.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

I agree the kids graduating from minor hockey into the GO should be free agents with an opportunity to try-out (or be recruited) by teams of their choice. Better for the kids and forces teams to compete on more of a level playing field. Owning player rights by virtue of where they live ain't fair.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ILuvHackey wrote:
It could work and should be implemented. That way there's no teams loading up.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:
ILuvHackey wrote:
It could work and should be implemented. That way there's no teams loading up.
Something we agree on ;-)

If we could get to 2 conferences with 8 teams of the 13 making playoffs, plus either a draft or removing teams having rights to their local players... that would force teams to do more and in turn help raise the level of the league, in my opinion.

In the case of a draft, it would have to be a major midget draft. And minor midgets who make the jump here would be assigned by their OHL club.