Conference Finals: Caledonia(1) vs St.Catharines(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

Conference Finals: Caledonia(1) vs St.Catharines(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia in 4
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
three dog night

Re: Conference Finals: Caledonia(1) vs St.Catharines(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by three dog night »

I see this going six games at least would not be surprise if it goes seven Caledonia should win but the trap at the jack may be tough for Caledonia.
Canuckalhead

Re: Conference Finals: Caledonia(1) vs St.Catharines(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by Canuckalhead »

Was Frank back behind the St. Catharines bench tonight? I saw his name on the electronic scoresheet.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I can't see this series going more than 5 games. The way the corvairs have been playing lately has been very different from the regular season as has been a big improvement. Not taking stupid penalties, setting up better in the opposing zone, and playing as a team more. These boys are very motivated to win this quickly. I think it will happen
Sunnydays

Post by Sunnydays »

Canuckalhead wrote:Was Frank back behind the St. Catharines bench tonight? I saw his name on the electronic scoresheet.

No, I didn't even see him at all.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

St Catharines will probably win atleast 1

Caledonia is 5
GOJHLinsider

Post by GOJHLinsider »

Key to this series will be how well the Falcons play at home. The Jack is a hard place to play when the Falcons are trapping and forechecking hard. I think the Falcons take 1 maybe 2 on home ice, but Caledonia is simply too good. Unless they self-destruct with stupid penalties of course.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

GOJHLfan1 wrote:St Catharines will probably win atleast 1

Caledonia is 5
I said this about Niagara Falls to I guess though so we will see.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Caledonia in 5
End of a era in Leamington
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

The way Cali played against NF this has a real possible chance at being done in 4. Plus they will now have back jake brown, and zottl. Looks as though shaefs is back aswell and same thing as graham (not %100) but he was skating at practice tonight and was looking pretty good. I think the players are finally realizing and taking serious the expectations that are set for them. Only advantage is St kitts building so they may sneak 1 away
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Conference Final Preview

Caledonia won the season series 5-2, including two OT wins.

Season Meetings:

Caledonia 1 St.Catharines 3
Caledonia 1 St.Catharines 0 OT
St.Catharines 2 Caledonia 9
St.Catharines 2 Caledonia 4
St.Catharines 1 Caledonia 4
Caledonia 1 St.Catharines 0 OT
Caledonia 3 St.Catharines 4

How they got here:

Caledonia defeated Pelham 4-0, then Niagara Falls 4-0
St.Catharines defeated Welland 4-1, then Ancaster 4-2

Playoff Scoring Leaders:

Caledonia:

C.Pawley 8 Games- 9-21--30
M.Hore 8 Games- 10-12--22
B.Luscombe 8 Games- 7-14--21
M.Fitzmorris 6 Games- 9-11--20
Q.Maksimovich 8 Games- 8-11--19

St.Catharines:

N.Dozzi 11 Games- 5-7--12
A.Postiglione 11 Games- 5-5--10
T.Jackson 9 Games- 6-3--9
T.Hildebrandt 9 Games- 3-6--9
J.Guest(D) 11 Games- 1-8--9

Top Goalies:

Caledonia- M.Sinclair 7-0 2 Shutouts, 1.29 GAA, .943 SV%

St.Catharines- J.Horodziejczyk 8-3 2.00 GAA, .931 SV%

Team Playoff Stats:

Caledonia- 78 goals for, 9 goals against, 238 penalty minutes, 4-0 at home, 4-0 away.

St.Catharines- 39 goals for, 25 goals against, 171 penalty minutes, 4-2 at home, 4-1 away.

Team Injuries:

Caledonia- Top defensemen A.Brown, who scored 20 goals this season has yet to play in the playoffs, his status is unknown. Rookie defensemen J.Schaefer hasn't played since being injured in the 1st round, and defensemen J.Brown has been out since the 2nd round, both players status are unknown. Forward M.Graham has also been out since suffering an injury 3 games into the 1st round. On a positive note, 40 goal scorer Jake Brown should be making his playoff debut for the first game of this series after serving his 10 game suspension.

St.Catharines- Top forward T.Hildebrandt's status isn't known, he's missed the Falcons last few games with an injury. J.Webb has missed the last 4 games and his status is also unknown at this time. Defensemen J.Parker hasn't played at all this post season and I'm not sure what that situation is.

A Little Bit About These Teams:

Caledonia has played almost flawless hockey so far this post season despite being 3 defensemen down for a while now, including their top defensemen. Playing without 40 goal man J.Brown hasn't hurt them either. They move the puck very well as a team. Their 4th line is just as dangerous as their 1st line. They make amazing plays out of almost nothing all the time. Their power play is very scary and they are just as dangerous while short-handed.

The Falcons have dealt with a bit of a distraction behind the bench this season. They've turned the puck over a lot in the playoffs and it will cost them dearly against Caledonia. They have good team depth, but are younger than past years. If they don't learn to play 60 minutes, fast... This series will be over very fast. They also can't afford to continue to take undisciplined penalties if they wan't to stay in these games. Caledonia kills penalties really well, and they are also a scoring threat when short-handed. If this series turns into a heated one, Caledonia can play through the penalty's, St.Catharines can't.

As Niagara Falls found out, the regular season means nothing now. The Falcons won't have these big advantages at home that some think they'll have. Taking the above into account, I see this series ending in a 4 game sweep.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
three dog night

I think Caledonia will win but not a sweep would not be surprise this goes seven the Falcons play a different style when they play Caledonia esp at home . When does the series start.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

three dog night wrote:I think Caledonia will win but not a sweep would not be surprise this goes seven the Falcons play a different style when they play Caledonia esp at home . When does the series start.
Dates not yet determined.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

I also believe Caledonia will win this series but don't make the mistake thinking Nia. Falls and St.Catharines are similar. The Falcons are much deeper than the Falls and with Girhiny behind the scene they are better coached. Wolfe is learning and Frank is a master of breaking down offences. With this all being said Caledonia are too strong for anyone to expect the Falcons to win this series. Sit back and enjoy the best two teams in Ontario and then watch Caledonia go 8-0 in the Sutherland Cup Play-downs. :smt113
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote:Sit back and enjoy the best two teams in Ontario and then watch Caledonia go 8-0 in the Sutherland Cup Play-downs. :smt113
I really don't see that happening. Do you really think they're that good? :)
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Yes i really do. Lets face it , with the age and experience they have they are as good as some OHL teams (IMO) I'm taking nothing away from the remaining GOJHL teams, they are good in their own right but talk to any experienced GM in this league and they will echo the remarks I have made.
I have been following and been involved with Jr.B hockey for quite a few years now and I've never seen a team as stacked with talent as the Corvairs are. :smt006 :smt006
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

three dog night wrote:I think Caledonia will win but not a sweep would not be surprise this goes seven the Falcons play a different style when they play Caledonia esp at home . When does the series start.
Tomorrow night (March 30) in Caledonia is game 1.
Game 2 is Friday Apr 1 in St Catharines
Game 3 is Saturday Apr 2 in Caledonia
Game 4 is Monday Apr 4 in St Catharines
Game 5 Wednesday Apr 6 in Caledonia***
Game 6 Friday Apr 8 in St Catharines***
Game 7 Saturday Apr 9 in Caledonia***

*** if needed

All 7 are on pointstreak now
Last edited by GOJHLfan1 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I agree. These are likely the two best teams in Ontario at the jr b level. I think that if the loser of this series gets the wild card than they are gonna meet right back in the final. Would be great to have another leamington vs St kitts series because it would show the difference between the start of the year and end of the year. And I'm imagining Cali vs Stratford. I've only really watched the two conferences and even if Kitchener got through (so called best team) I think it would be a blowout against Cali or St kitts. To deep, to skilled. Hope it's a close series.

Also with the stats from the regular season when these teams played eachother don't mean anything. When u look at the games one team had a lot of players missing either way. Both times St kitts won the games Cali had 6-9 players missing both times. And I beleive 2 or 3 times St kitts were missing 7 or 8 players when they were in Cali.

I beleive that home advantages are gonna be huge here. When playing in St Kitts it's more you vs the ice. People say they play a different style of hockey. Well I never really saw it work against Cali. They still dominated the play in all games and outshot St kitts by a lot. The small ice is so hard to score on because you can't set up bully's style of play in that building. You gave to shoot from bad angles to get rebounds. In Cali they will be able to set plays up and that will be the difference. Anybody who thinks that it isn't a advantage than I think their delusional. It limits skating immensely. Why do you think both times we played their with almost full rosters it went to OT and the goals were both scored in 2OT 3 on 3. Makes it look like a normal ice surface when their is less players on the ice. Makes it so skating dominates.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I think the wildcard is going to the loser of the Midwest.
Caledonia in 5
GOJHLfollower

Post by GOJHLfollower »

How exactly is the wildcard determined?
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

GOJHLfollower wrote:How exactly is the wildcard determined?
I think its best winning percentage in playoffs
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

It's the Conference finalist with the best winning percentage. If there's a tie, it goes to goal differential. They use the OHA formula which is total goals for divided by goals for plus goals against [GF/(GF+GA)].

The secret to the wildcard is to get through the first 2 rounds as fast as possible and then drag out the finals.

Personally, I think the Midwest has the best chance at it as Waterloo only has 1 loss and Stratford has 2.

Once the teams have played 4 games, we'll have a better idea as to who will get it.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:I agree. These are likely the two best teams in Ontario at the jr b level. I think that if the loser of this series gets the wild card than they are gonna meet right back in the final. Would be great to have another leamington vs St kitts series because it would show the difference between the start of the year and end of the year. And I'm imagining Cali vs Stratford. I've only really watched the two conferences and even if Kitchener got through (so called best team) I think it would be a blowout against Cali or St kitts. To deep, to skilled. Hope it's a close series.

Also with the stats from the regular season when these teams played eachother don't mean anything. When u look at the games one team had a lot of players missing either way. Both times St kitts won the games Cali had 6-9 players missing both times. And I beleive 2 or 3 times St kitts were missing 7 or 8 players when they were in Cali.

I beleive that home advantages are gonna be huge here. When playing in St Kitts it's more you vs the ice. People say they play a different style of hockey. Well I never really saw it work against Cali. They still dominated the play in all games and outshot St kitts by a lot. The small ice is so hard to score on because you can't set up bully's style of play in that building. You gave to shoot from bad angles to get rebounds. In Cali they will be able to set plays up and that will be the difference. Anybody who thinks that it isn't a advantage than I think their delusional. It limits skating immensely. Why do you think both times we played their with almost full rosters it went to OT and the goals were both scored in 2OT 3 on 3. Makes it look like a normal ice surface when their is less players on the ice. Makes it so skating dominates.
Leamington is a better team than St.Catharines, by a mile. I've seen both play, Flyers are very organized and physical.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:Anybody who thinks that it isn't a advantage than I think their delusional. It limits skating immensely. Why do you think both times we played their with almost full rosters it went to OT and the goals were both scored in 2OT 3 on 3. Makes it look like a normal ice surface when their is less players on the ice. Makes it so skating dominates.
Delusional... I guess we'll see. 8)
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Caledonia and St Catharines been waiting for this all year. What a great rivalry this has become.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... aight-year
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Falcons coach says they have the best goalie in the GOJHL... I'd say both Wall & Sinclair were better. Falcons goalie started the season on fire, then he struggled for a couple of weeks. Looked outstanding in the playoffs... But to declare him the best hands down, a little much.
three dog night

Falcons do have the best goalie once he got healthy again big difference facing 40 plus shots and around 20 shots per game.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Undisciplined penalty's cost Falcons

Caledonia skated to a 6-2 win in game 1 tonight. They controlled play in the 1st & 3rd periods, and dominated the 2nd. The Falcons took several very undisciplined penalty's in the 2nd period, and it cost them a pair of power play goals.

A lot of people gave Corvair T.Seguin a bad name this season, saying he's only here to be a goon. Well he played great tonight collecting a goal & an assist. T.Learn of the Falcons was the only goon on the ice tonight. He was trying to injure and/or start a fight with one of Caledonia's top forwards late in the 2nd period. He was on top of him giving him shots in the head. I was very pleased to see a teammate jump in and put a stop to it. :smt075

M.Fitzmorris scored a pair of goals for Caledonia, while C.Pawley had a 4 point game(1-3) & M.Hore had a goal and two assists, McCartney rounded out the scoring for Caledonia. A.McMaster collected a goal & assist while N.Perlic scored the other Falcons goal. Caledonia out-shot St.Catharines 51-17. The Falcons goalie made several huge saves to keep them in the game. Sinclair was his rock solid self in the Corvairs net, making 3 or 4 outstanding saves in the game.

I thought Caledonia played with great discipline. They did a good job of staying out of the Falcons head games. I thought the officials called a great game! They made calls when they needed to, but really let the kids play tonight. Great job gentlemen . :smt023

On a side note, the Falcons diving was just unreal tonight. Should call them the 'St.Catharines Flippers' :smt044 :mrgreen: And Felker should get an academy award for his attempt at getting the 2 minute tripping penalty turned into a 5 minute major. :lol: :lol: :lol: Fortunately the refs already were aware of the Falcons tactics.

Go Corvairs!!! :smt026 :smt033

Notes:

Caledonia continues to be without their top defensemen A.Brown, who led the league in defense points this season. They were also without standout rookie defensemen J.Schaefer. M.Graham & backup goalie Conway also were scratches.

St.Catharines was still without top forward T.Hildebrandt. J.Webb & J.Parker were also scratches.
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Wow cali dominated tonight. St kitts was getting frustrated. Cali had the puck for the most part of the game. Cali was very disciplined tonight and took the jake Evans approach of drawing penalties. Joel didn't really play well but didn't seem as though he had much help defensively.

On a good note for St kitts, their young kids played really well. 1 I beleive had 2 goals and the other had 2 assists on them. Great played well in the third and had a perfect period. Even though in the one scramble at the net it was between his legs and squeaked across the line but he brought it back out on the line with his pads which was in for a quick sec. Also impressed with guest. Very good puck moving defence man.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

During the second period I thought the Pelham Panthers were on the ice wearing red jerseys.