Conference Finals: Caledonia(1) vs St.Catharines(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Caledonia Fan

Re: Conference Finals: Caledonia(1) vs St.Catharines(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by Caledonia Fan »

drafty wrote:Junior B calibre officials refereeing a Junior B game. Who woulda thought.
Is it the same rifs do JR- C AND JR - A OJHL
three dog night

Re: Conference Finals: Caledonia(1) vs St.Catharines(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by three dog night »

Thank you the Standard said it was Fritmorris funny he can score in junior B could not buy a goal in the OHL.
three dog night

Wonder if Caledonia is going to throw game four to have a chance of wining the championship at home.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

three dog night wrote:Wonder if Caledonia is going to throw game four to have a chance of wining the championship at home.
No chance that happens
HockeyTalk21

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

three dog night wrote:Thank you the Standard said it was Fritmorris funny he can score in junior B could not buy a goal in the OHL.

But that's not true! Fitzmorris had 12 goals in the O because his role wasn't a scorer. Since I live around there(Niagara) he was a power forward 3rd line guy. It's funny though because you didn't mention that as an IceDog 6 of his 10 goals came when he was on the top line! If he played on the top line regularly he would have had more!!
Last edited by HockeyTalk21 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
HockeyTalk21

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

HockeyTalk21 wrote:
three dog night wrote:Thank you the Standard said it was Fritmorris funny he can score in junior B could not buy a goal in the OHL.

But that's not true! Fitzmorris had 12 goals in the O because his role wasn't a scorer. Since I live around there(Niagara) he was a power forward 3rd line guy. It's funny though because you didn't mention that as an IceDog 6 of his 10 goals came when he was on the top line! If he played in the top line regularly he would have had more!!
If your going to chirp a player you may want to have some facts straight buddy!!
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Good win for Caledonia tonight. Mitchell Fitzmorris and Tyler Hill both great game.
Caledonia dominated the third. The way Caledonia pass and cycles the puck in the offensive zone has St. Catharines running around.
What can you say about the reffing it was bad. I was surprised to see only 15 shot on net for St Catharines.
HockeyTalk21

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:Good win for Caledonia tonight. Mitchell Fitzmorris and Tyler Hill both great game.
Caledonia dominated the third. The way Caledonia pass and cycles the puck in the offensive zone has St. Catharines running around.
What can you say about the reffing it was bad. I was surprised to see only 15 shot on net for St Catharines.
Thought game was good! Refs were a little questionable a majority of the night! Gotta give the Corvairs props for sticking around in the game!
Sunnydays

Post by Sunnydays »

drafty wrote:Junior B calibre officials refereeing a Junior B game. Who woulda thought.

Wilmot was in Sochi at the olympics, I think he's a bit higher calibre than JR.B but hey that's just me what do I know
gojhlrules

Post by gojhlrules »

Instead of the 20 year old rule, the league should have put in a salary cap. By the way stop bitching about the refs... the whole world isn't out to get Caledonia
three dog night

Mitchell Fitzmorris when I saw him play for the ice Dogs for the most part could not hit the net always shot wide even when the net was open. Although he was good on the penalty kill,
HockeyTalk21

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

three dog night wrote:Mitchell Fitzmorris when I saw him play for the ice Dogs for the most part could not hit the net always shot wide even when the net was open. Although he was good on the penalty kill,
If you don't mind me asking how many goals did you score in the OHL? Or what ever pro league you played in. And I'm not interested in your house league points if that's where you played your whole life!
HockeyTalk21

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

gojhlrules wrote:Instead of the 20 year old rule, the league should have put in a salary cap. By the way stop bitching about the refs... the whole world isn't out to get Caledonia
Lol you sound like a rocket girl at the moment!
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

gojhlrules wrote:Instead of the 20 year old rule, the league should have put in a salary cap. By the way stop bitching about the refs... the whole world isn't out to get Caledonia
I agree with the ref comment. Would love to see any of them put the skates on and do a better job. Its easier said then done. Especially when you can replay it how ever many times you want on Fast Hockey. Refs have to call it how they see it. Not like they can go watch the replay every time they make a penalty call.
15timechamps

Post by 15timechamps »

Simple let's make port hockey happy and let have Caledonia have a 60 min pp. they do no wrong I was game 1and 2. And the reffing was nowhere near as bad as he lets on. The refs go with the flow. Handing out 10s on chirping is the way it should be called
Hattrick73

Post by Hattrick73 »

Finally had to cave and post on here.....

The bitching about refing isnt UNjustified. Whether it be a caledonia fan or st kitts fan. Anyone who has seen this series in person, all 3 games, you can see there has been a massive difference. Those commenting on here watching the box score or Fast Hockey must not get a true sense for the game cuz these last 2 games have been terriblly refereed playoff hockey games! With deeper round playoff games comes the expectation for the best refereeing the league can supply....if game 2 and 3 is the league's best attempt at doing that, oh wow :shock:

Game 1 was refed superbly! Who woulda thought Caledonia would have been happy with a Purnell-refed game (thats 2 in a row where he called a game caledonia was involved in really well) but he has shown that you CAN let these kids play and not have the refs dictate the game! Rabjohn was as always solid too. Not a single penalty in the first period and aside from the scrum battle calls at the end of the second period, they continued to let the boys play and only called a couple penalties against each.....thats how you call a playoff hockey game!

Then came game 2 at the Cliffe and wow, big difference. Refing was largely inconsistent and called the way the game unfolded meaning when Caledonia was in control, calls made to reign them in and give Falcons a chance. Not the most poorly called game but not great either. Worst call was the OT net-crash call that sent Luscombe out of the game with a one game suspension and gave Falcons a 5 min pp. At best that should've been a 2 min minor as the Corvair kid drove the net with puck, with speed, and the Falcon's D tied him up so he had no chance to get the shot off or avoid the net contact....poor poor call but Caledonia PK was excellent as they dodged that bullet and turned around to win it shortly after as Tyler Hill dominated the 2nd half of that game netting the winner in OT.

And then Last night's game 3 shennanigans where the refs took things to a whole new level of terrible call after terrible call. It went both ways too. Both the Corvairs and the Falcons should be livid about that display of crap refing. I have yet to re-watch the Volpe hit, but at live game-speed, it looked clean....just a good tough hit. Feel bad for the kid who took it too, cuz he's been one of the Falcon's most dominant players so far this series and looks like may be out now. No call was being made by the refs at this time, a scrum insues between the other players on the ice at the time, they hand out offsetting calls (10's and 2's) and then at the last second, they tack on a 5 min major and game misconduct to Volpe. Apparently the Liney made this call after the fact. If the player had gotten up unscathed, i dont think this call is made....its a response call to the injury. 2nd and 3rd periods were riddled with weak call after weak call on both sides...few were really justifiable playoff-game type penalties. Later in game the Lanigan-Hore hit from behind results the same way....if Hore gets up, its a simple 2 min for Lanigan. Lanigan got tossed too btw....someone commented above about this...but ya, he did get tossed. Basically, the flow of the game was destroyed by all the poor calls....and again, mostly both ways.

On a side-note....Sinclair needs to be better even though he always makes some key saves at the right time...but last night, couple questionable ones he should have had. Horodziejczyk was solid allowing Falcons to remain in the game til the 3rd where he was pummeled by the Caledonia onslaught again.

Hoping for decent reffing in game 4!
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Great evaluation. People think the reffing is okay and obviously they don't watch the games. Every time their is a scrum Cali seems to get a extra even when they dont do anything extra. Bad calls either way which kill the game. In the third last game their was a huge hold while Cali was on the power play that they got away with. Even as a Caledonia fan I was wondering how we didn't get a penalty for hawking the player down. League needs new refs because their is so many garbage ones in the league.
Hattrick73

Post by Hattrick73 »

3dog.......

"Mitchell Fitzmorris when I saw him play for the ice Dogs for the most part could not hit the net always shot wide even when the net was open. Although he was good on the penalty kill,"

Why such a hater? With all the complaining and backing of the "Caledonia Rule" re 20yr olds on this site by many, maybe Fitzmorris is being DEVELOPED still after all! Who says a 20yr old that played in the OHL cant be developed further. Surely it comes down to icetime, confidence and expectations.

Most of these kids on any of the GOJHL teams who have spent time in the O were 3rd or 4th line guys, so they see this 'drop' to GOJHL teams as an opportunity to tweak their talents by getting 1st or 2nd line minutes....exposure. They will need this to obtain new opportunities (whether it be CIS or pro somewhere) to get somewhere with all they really know....hockey! They are not going to the SHOW and i would think most know this by now. what else do they do? Sit and rot in the OHL behind 6-12 other better players? NO! They make the best of what they've been given and that's an opportunity in most cases to play some more good hockey and get an education with the packages they already got from their time in the O....question is where they go. This last year allows the scouts etc to see what they can be and the kids to work towards their future AFTER hockey!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

15timechamps wrote:Simple let's make port hockey happy and let have Caledonia have a 60 min pp. they do no wrong I was game 1and 2. And the reffing was nowhere near as bad as he lets on. The refs go with the flow. Handing out 10s on chirping is the way it should be called
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sure buddy. :roll: :roll: :roll:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Hattrick73 wrote:Finally had to cave and post on here.....

The bitching about refing isnt UNjustified. Whether it be a caledonia fan or st kitts fan. Anyone who has seen this series in person, all 3 games, you can see there has been a massive difference. Those commenting on here watching the box score or Fast Hockey must not get a true sense for the game cuz these last 2 games have been terriblly refereed playoff hockey games! With deeper round playoff games comes the expectation for the best refereeing the league can supply....if game 2 and 3 is the league's best attempt at doing that, oh wow :shock:

Game 1 was refed superbly! Who woulda thought Caledonia would have been happy with a Purnell-refed game (thats 2 in a row where he called a game caledonia was involved in really well) but he has shown that you CAN let these kids play and not have the refs dictate the game! Rabjohn was as always solid too. Not a single penalty in the first period and aside from the scrum battle calls at the end of the second period, they continued to let the boys play and only called a couple penalties against each.....thats how you call a playoff hockey game!

Then came game 2 at the Cliffe and wow, big difference. Refing was largely inconsistent and called the way the game unfolded meaning when Caledonia was in control, calls made to reign them in and give Falcons a chance. Not the most poorly called game but not great either. Worst call was the OT net-crash call that sent Luscombe out of the game with a one game suspension and gave Falcons a 5 min pp. At best that should've been a 2 min minor as the Corvair kid drove the net with puck, with speed, and the Falcon's D tied him up so he had no chance to get the shot off or avoid the net contact....poor poor call but Caledonia PK was excellent as they dodged that bullet and turned around to win it shortly after as Tyler Hill dominated the 2nd half of that game netting the winner in OT.

And then Last night's game 3 shennanigans where the refs took things to a whole new level of terrible call after terrible call. It went both ways too. Both the Corvairs and the Falcons should be livid about that display of crap refing. I have yet to re-watch the Volpe hit, but at live game-speed, it looked clean....just a good tough hit. Feel bad for the kid who took it too, cuz he's been one of the Falcon's most dominant players so far this series and looks like may be out now. No call was being made by the refs at this time, a scrum insues between the other players on the ice at the time, they hand out offsetting calls (10's and 2's) and then at the last second, they tack on a 5 min major and game misconduct to Volpe. Apparently the Liney made this call after the fact. If the player had gotten up unscathed, i dont think this call is made....its a response call to the injury. 2nd and 3rd periods were riddled with weak call after weak call on both sides...few were really justifiable playoff-game type penalties. Later in game the Lanigan-Hore hit from behind results the same way....if Hore gets up, its a simple 2 min for Lanigan. Lanigan got tossed too btw....someone commented above about this...but ya, he did get tossed. Basically, the flow of the game was destroyed by all the poor calls....and again, mostly both ways.

On a side-note....Sinclair needs to be better even though he always makes some key saves at the right time...but last night, couple questionable ones he should have had. Horodziejczyk was solid allowing Falcons to remain in the game til the 3rd where he was pummeled by the Caledonia onslaught again.

Hoping for decent reffing in game 4!
Well stated! Try telling a few of the homers on here that though. :lol: :smt004
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
GojhlFan74

Post by GojhlFan74 »

Hattrick73 wrote:3dog.......

"Mitchell Fitzmorris when I saw him play for the ice Dogs for the most part could not hit the net always shot wide even when the net was open. Although he was good on the penalty kill,"

Why such a hater? With all the complaining and backing of the "Caledonia Rule" re 20yr olds on this site by many, maybe Fitzmorris is being DEVELOPED still after all! Who says a 20yr old that played in the OHL cant be developed further. Surely it comes down to icetime, confidence and expectations.

Most of these kids on any of the GOJHL teams who have spent time in the O were 3rd or 4th line guys, so they see this 'drop' to GOJHL teams as an opportunity to tweak their talents by getting 1st or 2nd line minutes....exposure. They will need this to obtain new opportunities (whether it be CIS or pro somewhere) to get somewhere with all they really know....hockey! They are not going to the SHOW and i would think most know this by now. what else do they do? Sit and rot in the OHL behind 6-12 other better players? NO! They make the best of what they've been given and that's an opportunity in most cases to play some more good hockey and get an education with the packages they already got from their time in the O....question is where they go. This last year allows the scouts etc to see what they can be and the kids to work towards their future AFTER hockey!
Well said. Seen a lot of these 20 year olds we get do this year after year!
HockeyTalk21

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

Hattrick73 wrote:3dog.......

Finally a statement from someone who understands the game unlike the half the people that sit around in their underwear carving up teenagers athletes who are doing something with their lives.
keepcalm

Post by keepcalm »

Quote: "Why such a hater? With all the complaining and backing of the "Caledonia Rule" re 20yr olds on this site by many, maybe Fitzmorris is being DEVELOPED still after all! Who says a 20yr old that played in the OHL cant be developed further. Surely it comes down to icetime, confidence and expectations.
Most of these kids on any of the GOJHL teams who have spent time in the O were 3rd or 4th line guys, so they see this 'drop' to GOJHL teams as an opportunity to tweak their talents by getting 1st or 2nd line minutes....exposure. They will need this to obtain new opportunities (whether it be CIS or pro somewhere) to get somewhere with all they really know....hockey! They are not going to the SHOW and i would think most know this by now. what else do they do? Sit and rot in the OHL behind 6-12 other better players? NO! They make the best of what they've been given and that's an opportunity in most cases to play some more good hockey and get an education with the packages they already got from their time in the O....question is where they go. This last year allows the scouts etc to see what they can be and the kids to work towards their future AFTER hockey!" End quote.

Many thanks for this well thought-out and insightful post. The former OHL players have taken an undeserved bashing from a number of posters on this forum whom I suspect have little to no knowledge of the OHL or how it operates. It is unquestionably the best junior development league in the world - for SOME players. Unfortunately for many, they are relegated to 3rd and 4rth line minutes, little to no special teams play, and are in and out of the lineup on any given night. On any given night at an OHL game you will see players for both teams sitting in the stands - some injured or suspended yes, but several simply not in the lineup because they are not top-line players. Instead of the bashing and criticizing remarks, consider the effort and accomplishment of these players for actually cracking an OHL roster. Out of over 300 kids per year drafted to OHL teams, a very small percentage ever see OHL ice. Those who do and decide to play in the OHL are well-aware they are giving up their opportunity to play future NCAA hockey - they accept that in order to play at that calibre. If a former OHLer makes the decision to play in the GOJHL, he has weighed his options carefully. These players receive multiple offers from Jr A teams across Canada, Jr B teams, and often the QMJHL upon their exit from the OHL - it is a compliment to the GOJHL if they choose this league because they will have had other offers. And exactly as stated, watch these players - they are now playing top minutes and developing their skills where they were not getting those opportunities in the OHL. For those posters suggesting they are "at the end of their careers" etc; why is a former OHLer, who is arguably more skilled than a non-OHLer, at the end of his career, when a career Jr B player is not? That's simply contradictory. There are definitely some very skilled Jr B players who have not played at the CHL level and they deserve every credit for their accomplishments; in the same vein the former OHL players deserve the same respect.

A quick comment on the 20 yr old issue. Consider this - a 20 yr old player with a roster position on a GOJHL team, with or without CHL experience, has that position for a reason - he's EARNED it. Years of effort and training with the accompanying skill-set make these players deserving of their roster spots. Younger players, if they bring the effort and skill-set, will get their opportunity. Younger players who don't receive roster positions directly out of minor midget hockey have the opportunity to develop at the Midget and Jr C levels before playing in the GOJHL or other junior leagues.

While I can understand both sides of the 20 yr old and former CHL player argument, my opinion is this rule change is a knee-jerk reaction from the league to the situation in Caledonia this season. This team is not typical of most seasons and it would have been more prudent for the league to monitor the situation carefully league-wide over the next few seasons before making such a drastic change. Although it's been stated that the issue has been on the table for some time, it's hard to argue that this season's Caledonia team isn't the driving force behind the change.

Lastly, if the GOJHL's driving mandate is truly development, the opportunity for development should be offered to all players who bring the effort and skill-set to the league, regardless of age or hockey background.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

Very good post!!
three dog night

Point out where I said Fritmorris did not belong in this league. I do not like any team stacking there team with 20 year old the scouts are not looking at all of them plus there senior hockey they can go to.
HockeyTalk21

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

keepcalm wrote:Quote: "Why such a hater? With all the complaining and backing of the "Caledonia Rule" re 20yr olds on this site by many, maybe Fitzmorris is being DEVELOPED still after all! Who says a 20yr old that played in the OHL cant be developed further. Surely it comes down to icetime, confidence and expectations.
Most of these kids on any of the GOJHL teams who have spent time in the O were 3rd or 4th line guys, so they see this 'drop' to GOJHL teams as an opportunity to tweak their talents by getting 1st or 2nd line minutes....exposure. They will need this to obtain new opportunities (whether it be CIS or pro somewhere) to get somewhere with all they really know....hockey! They are not going to the SHOW and i would think most know this by now. what else do they do? Sit and rot in the OHL behind 6-12 other better players? NO! They make the best of what they've been given and that's an opportunity in most cases to play some more good hockey and get an education with the packages they already got from their time in the O....question is where they go. This last year allows the scouts etc to see what they can be and the kids to work towards their future AFTER hockey!" End quote.

Many thanks for this well thought-out and insightful post. The former OHL players have taken an undeserved bashing from a number of posters on this forum whom I suspect have little to no knowledge of the OHL or how it operates. It is unquestionably the best junior development league in the world - for SOME players. Unfortunately for many, they are relegated to 3rd and 4rth line minutes, little to no special teams play, and are in and out of the lineup on any given night. On any given night at an OHL game you will see players for both teams sitting in the stands - some injured or suspended yes, but several simply not in the lineup because they are not top-line players. Instead of the bashing and criticizing remarks, consider the effort and accomplishment of these players for actually cracking an OHL roster. Out of over 300 kids per year drafted to OHL teams, a very small percentage ever see OHL ice. Those who do and decide to play in the OHL are well-aware they are giving up their opportunity to play future NCAA hockey - they accept that in order to play at that calibre. If a former OHLer makes the decision to play in the GOJHL, he has weighed his options carefully. These players receive multiple offers from Jr A teams across Canada, Jr B teams, and often the QMJHL upon their exit from the OHL - it is a compliment to the GOJHL if they choose this league because they will have had other offers. And exactly as stated, watch these players - they are now playing top minutes and developing their skills where they were not getting those opportunities in the OHL. For those posters suggesting they are "at the end of their careers" etc; why is a former OHLer, who is arguably more skilled than a non-OHLer, at the end of his career, when a career Jr B player is not? That's simply contradictory. There are definitely some very skilled Jr B players who have not played at the CHL level and they deserve every credit for their accomplishments; in the same vein the former OHL players deserve the same respect.

A quick comment on the 20 yr old issue. Consider this - a 20 yr old player with a roster position on a GOJHL team, with or without CHL experience, has that position for a reason - he's EARNED it. Years of effort and training with the accompanying skill-set make these players deserving of their roster spots. Younger players, if they bring the effort and skill-set, will get their opportunity. Younger players who don't receive roster positions directly out of minor midget hockey have the opportunity to develop at the Midget and Jr C levels before playing in the GOJHL or other junior leagues.

While I can understand both sides of the 20 yr old and former CHL player argument, my opinion is this rule change is a knee-jerk reaction from the league to the situation in Caledonia this season. This team is not typical of most seasons and it would have been more prudent for the league to monitor the situation carefully league-wide over the next few seasons before making such a drastic change. Although it's been stated that the issue has been on the table for some time, it's hard to argue that this season's Caledonia team isn't the driving force behind the change.

Lastly, if the GOJHL's driving mandate is truly development, the opportunity for development should be offered to all players who bring the effort and skill-set to the league, regardless of age or hockey background.
Excellent summary. Thanks keepcalm for your fabulous insight and maybe rocket girl could post your summary of this subject on her"so called blog" instead of the garbage that is posted.....
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Just curious, which garbage are you referring to?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
keepcalm

Post by keepcalm »

three dog night » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:17 pm

Quote: "Point out where I said Fritmorris did not belong in this league. I do not like any team stacking there team with 20 year old the scouts are not looking at all of them plus there senior hockey they can go to." End quote.

I can appreciate your position. I would ask however, which scouts are you referring to? On any given night, particularly during playoffs, there are scouts in attendance representing various leagues, including the OHL/CHL, various Jr A leagues (OJHL, CCHL etc), NCAA, CIS, minor pro, and likely other organizations. CIS, NCAA and pro scouts are definitely in attendance scouting 20 yr olds. I would also ask why a junior eligible 20 yr old would go to Senior Hockey rather than play out his final year of junior eligibility where he can receive top-line minutes and continue to develop before moving on to the next phase of his career? As players graduate from the league due to age, roster spots are created. Younger players will get their opportunities just as older players received theirs - by earning them.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

HockeyTalk21 wrote:rocket girl could post your summary of this subject on her"so called blog" instead of the garbage that is posted.....
It's a legit blog, it's one of the few that actually takes an interest in the GOJHL
three dog night

Big game for the Falcons I am sure they will bring their A game no team likes to be eliminated on home ice can not make the game tonight hope they acualty win the next two so I have a game Friday night unless the Ice Dogs open round two at home.