Conference Finals: Caledonia(1) vs St.Catharines(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

HockeyTalk21

Re: Conference Finals: Caledonia(1) vs St.Catharines(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

three dog night wrote:The town it self maybe small about 10,000 but they can draw from Hamilton Brantford and other smaller centre near by

Hahaha
Last edited by HockeyTalk21 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arcprohd

Re: Conference Finals: Caledonia(1) vs St.Catharines(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by arcprohd »

The reason Caledonia works as a GOJHL centre is that they pull from the entire Haldimand County, are a bedroom community of Hamilton and are close enough to Brantford to pull diehard former Golden Eagles fans.

It's sufficient. What's not sufficient is that fact that the only local media outlets are Cable 14 (who has a Hamilton focus out of limited resources) and a radio station that is purely robotic. The Sachem does a good job in a print/online capacity.

Jukasa Radio fixes it a bit but they are music focused.
Last edited by arcprohd on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HockeyTalk21

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

three dog night wrote:The town it self maybe small about 10,000 but they can draw from Hamilton Brantford and other smaller centre near by
I learned a few things from my time in the OHL/QMJHL and my Jr.B career. We may have had a lot of fans in JR.A but Jr.B hockey taught me no matter how many fans they are some of the best in jr.b because they respect us so much more especially when in a small community such as Elmira where I played. I had a similar role to most guys who drop down. I was expected to fight on a nightly basis from 16-19 and when I decided enough was enough JR.B was great to me. I got to be a different player, I re found my love for the game. A lot of the players on the Caledonia Corvairs are similar to my situation, they may not all be fighters but we're all in different situations and lose that passion but Jr.B rekindles it!! You can all dislike what the Corvairs have done or the crowds but I as a former Elmira Sugar King and Jr.A player appreciate what they have done. They help these boys refind a new passion for the game, you can say it's all about the $$ but that's not always the case. Guys know each other and talk!! Guys who are 20 want to play with their friends and enjoy the time they have left! Don't blame the staff or owners because all it takes is 1 guy on your team with that experience and then others will come. Hypothetically if Pelham got Sorrentino back he may have a few friends who just want to play..not the best example but it's kinda how things run in the hockey industry! I know a lot of you on here may not agree with me but when I've played over 186 OHL games what would I know right?!?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

HockeyTalk21 wrote:
I learned a few things from my time in the OHL/QMJHL and my Jr.B career. We may have had a lot of fans in JR.A but Jr.B hockey taught me no matter how many fans they are some of the best in jr.b because they respect us so much more especially when in a small community such as Elmira where I played. I had a similar role to most guys who drop down. I was expected to fight on a nightly basis from 16-19 and when I decided enough was enough JR.B was great to me. I got to be a different player, I re found my love for the game. A lot of the players on the Caledonia Corvairs are similar to my situation, they may not all be fighters but we're all in different situations and lose that passion but Jr.B rekindles it!! You can all dislike what the Corvairs have done or the crowds but I as a former Elmira Sugar King and Jr.A player appreciate what they have done. They help these boys refind a new passion for the game, you can say it's all about the $$ but that's not always the case. Guys know each other and talk!! Guys who are 20 want to play with their friends and enjoy the time they have left! Don't blame the staff or owners because all it takes is 1 guy on your team with that experience and then others will come. Hypothetically if Pelham got Sorrentino back he may have a few friends who just want to play..not the best example but it's kinda how things run in the hockey industry! I know a lot of you on here may not agree with me but when I've played over 186 OHL games what would I know right?!?
Well stated. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
HockeyTalk21

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

Port hockey1 wrote:
HockeyTalk21 wrote:
Well stated. :)
Thanks Port Hockey. If I was a current player and was reading this forum it would just add fuel to the fire!! If I was playing for the Corvairs I'd love to see this forum and go out and win just to rile the fans up.
keepcalm

Post by keepcalm »

Quote: I learned a few things from my time in the OHL/QMJHL and my Jr.B career. We may have had a lot of fans in JR.A but Jr.B hockey taught me no matter how many fans they are some of the best in jr.b because they respect us so much more especially when in a small community such as Elmira where I played. I had a similar role to most guys who drop down. I was expected to fight on a nightly basis from 16-19 and when I decided enough was enough JR.B was great to me. I got to be a different player, I re found my love for the game. A lot of the players on the Caledonia Corvairs are similar to my situation, they may not all be fighters but we're all in different situations and lose that passion but Jr.B rekindles it!! You can all dislike what the Corvairs have done or the crowds but I as a former Elmira Sugar King and Jr.A player appreciate what they have done. They help these boys refind a new passion for the game, you can say it's all about the $$ but that's not always the case. Guys know each other and talk!! Guys who are 20 want to play with their friends and enjoy the time they have left! Don't blame the staff or owners because all it takes is 1 guy on your team with that experience and then others will come. Hypothetically if Pelham got Sorrentino back he may have a few friends who just want to play..not the best example but it's kinda how things run in the hockey industry! I know a lot of you on here may not agree with me but when I've played over 186 OHL games what would I know right?!? End quote.

Thanks HockeyTalk21 for sharing your experience and insight. I couldn't agree with you more! I learned a great deal about the OHL/Major Junior hockey when my sons and friends' sons played in the league. It was/is a great league in many ways - they became good hockey players and mature young men. But it wasn't always easy and there were a lot of tough times. The guy you became friends with who had the stall next to you could be gone tomorrow. Or you could be gone tomorrow. You could have a goal and 2 assists one night and be scratched the next. Fighting was an expectation. 3rd/4rth line guys weren't really known to the fans, despite making half the team. You could give 1 to 4 years of your life to the league, then be told you wouldn't be getting an OA spot because the team had decided to "go younger" that year or another OA was brought in. The scenarios are endless. Yes, the OHL offers scholarship packages for years played in the league, but their main focus is moving players to pro hockey. The majority of fans and posters really don't know what life in the OHL for your everyday forward or defenseman can be like, and it can be a rollercoaster so hang on. You're correct - Jr B; in this case the Corvairs, and other GOJHL teams featuring ex CHL players, have given these players back some of what they began playing hockey for. I suspect there is a reason there are a number of former OHLers playing for the Corvairs and you outlined it perfectly - they know of each other from the OHL (guys talk!) and knowing there are others with similar experiences is a drawing card. Some posters are enraged because they feel these positions should be offered to younger players but I reiterate my statement from my earlier post - these players have earned it. Paid their dues, logged their miles, done their time - choose the analogy you like best but at the end of the day each one of them has earned it. Compliments to the coaching staff and management of each GOJHL team who has made their team better by including former CHL players, and for making hockey better for the ex CHLers. Thanks again HockeyTalk21 for sharing some of your story and many thanks for bringing some clarity to a situation many don't understand.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

HockeyTalk21 wrote:
You played for the Kings? My friend was a diehard fan, and I use to be a fan from 2008-2011, after Elmira won the Sutherland Cup.

I find it a bit ironic that some want the GOJ develop future CHL'ers but when their junior career dwindles, they want to wash their hands of these former players.

If you read Caledonia's program, you get a sense of almost a "family". Caledonia is a classy organization in my opinion. I've been to about 30 home games since I started following Jr. B, and the more I went to the games, the more respect they gained in my eyes.

As for players wanting to play with their friends, look at Ty Bilcke, he wanted to play with his friend Mitch Vandergunst in Stratford (I'm not getting into that whole situation).

It's nice to see other people giving their opinions based on experience, not reading the transaction sheet
HockeyTalk21

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

jfvoll wrote:
HockeyTalk21 wrote:
You played for the Kings? My friend was a diehard fan, and I use to be a fan from 2008-2011, after Elmira won the Sutherland Cup.

I find it a bit ironic that some want the GOJ develop future CHL'ers but when their junior career dwindles, they want to wash their hands of these former players.

If you read Caledonia's program, you get a sense of almost a "family". Caledonia is a classy organization in my opinion. I've been to about 30 home games since I started following Jr. B, and the more I went to the games, the more respect they gained in my eyes.

As for players wanting to play with their friends, look at Ty Bilcke, he wanted to play with his friend Mitch Vandergunst in Stratford (I'm not getting into that whole situation).

It's nice to see other people giving their opinions based on experience, not reading the transaction sheet
Yes sir! Playing for Elmira my final year was my best decision thus far in my hockey life. At start if the year I didn't care much because I thought I'd be another fighter to another team but they opened my eyes up and taught me I can do anything I set out to do and that was the changing point in my career. It was great to play in the OHL but it was better to play in the Midwest as a 20 year old. Found my love for the game again :smt007