Conference Finals: Caledonia(1) vs St.Catharines(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

HockeyTalk21

Re: Conference Finals: Caledonia(1) vs St.Catharines(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:Caledonia and St Catharines been waiting for this all year. What a great rivalry this has become.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... aight-year
I think this Caledonia fan makes the same comments as Shawn Smith the reporter from the Sachem which makes sense why he has all the scoops on things and newspaper articles from all different papers. Not many people that much time to do that other than Port Hockey. Maybe Port hockey is Caledonia fan/ Shawn Smith also, just fighting with himself to stir controversy!
Port hockey1

Re: Conference Finals: Caledonia(1) vs St.Catharines(2), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:Wow cali dominated tonight. St kitts was getting frustrated. Cali had the puck for the most part of the game. Cali was very disciplined tonight and took the jake Evans approach of drawing penalties. Joel didn't really play well but didn't seem as though he had much help defensively.

On a good note for St kitts, their young kids played really well. 1 I beleive had 2 goals and the other had 2 assists on them. Great played well in the third and had a perfect period. Even though in the one scramble at the net it was between his legs and squeaked across the line but he brought it back out on the line with his pads which was in for a quick sec. Also impressed with guest. Very good puck moving defence man.
Guest is a spade. That kid has great instincts out there. I didn't think the Falcons goalie played bad. He's not used to facing that many shots, and the Corvairs scored a few beauty's on him. He made a few big stops, but he's capable of playing better than tonight. I can still see the save he made in triple OT against Ancaster in my head. :)

Those who said the Falcons would step their game up were right on the money. Compared to how they looked in the Ancaster series, they looked like a different team out there in the 1st and 3rd periods tonight.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

HockeyTalk21 wrote:
Caledonia Fan wrote:Caledonia and St Catharines been waiting for this all year. What a great rivalry this has become.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... aight-year
I think this Caledonia fan makes the same comments as Shawn Smith the reporter from the Sachem which makes sense why he has all the scoops on things and newspaper articles from all different papers. Not many people that much time to do that other than Port Hockey. Maybe Port hockey is Caledonia fan/ Shawn Smith also, just fighting with himself to stir controversy!
Nope, this is my only account. And I do have a lot of free time in the Winter months. Busy Summers though. :D :smt006
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

[quote="Port hockey1"][quote="Cali vairs!
Those who said the Falcons would step their game up were right on the money. Compared to how they looked in the Ancaster series, they looked like a different team out there in the 1st and 3rd periods tonight.[/quote
I didn't think St kitts looked any better. Maybe in the first try played decent. In the third it was pretty obvious corvairs already won and they didn't even try because they were up by 5. Segs line barely played and when they did they didn't hit, pawleys line waited outside the blue line when breaking out trying to get Fitzy a batty. Nobody even skated so I wouldn't count the third.

If that's how St kitts is gonna play all series it's easily 4 games. I imagine it's going to be closer
Friday because the ice. Has been all year. And Cali has dominated every game on home ice.

Cali players really looked determined right now. You can see it in their eyes when they play. They want to be the first ever to three peat and sweep the div while their at it.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Idk if anybody will be able to beat this team this year. No expert on leamington or London but I beleive this team is too deep, and skilled to beat by any team
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote:Yes i really do. Lets face it , with the age and experience they have they are as good as some OHL teams (IMO) I'm taking nothing away from the remaining GOJHL teams, they are good in their own right but talk to any experienced GM in this league and they will echo the remarks I have made.
I have been following and been involved with Jr.B hockey for quite a few years now and I've never seen a team as stacked with talent as the Corvairs are. :smt006 :smt006
I would agree with you as I think that this team is the best Jr B team I have seen in my 40+ years of watching Jr B. I think that they are even better than the Stratford powerhouses of the late 70's. Then again if you look at their lineup they should be as they are basically a Jr A team in Jr B jerseys . After watching them annihilate Niagara Falls, it was men playing against boys. I think St Kitts might win one in the Jack but they do not have anywhere near the talent that Caledonia does. The main difference is that the Jr A players on Caledonia could still play in the O.
If Caledonia plays to their capabilities I do not think any team in the West has a chance either but time will tell. If Caledonia does win a third, lets give them their due and lets get on with implementing the Caledonia rule. While Caledonia will still field a top level team due to their resources .. at least it will be a Jr B team.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

St Catharines is in a must win Friday night.
Perlic and McMaster played a great game with Green on wing.
But St Catharines needs Hildebrandt and Jack Webb back sooner the better.
That's two of there top six.
Caledonia will be ready for the trap. They know if they go back two games up on a back to back there in the driver seat.
Should be a better game.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... ies-opener
15timechamps

Post by 15timechamps »

Plain and simple st cath did not play a very good or smart game. And after sequin scored that second goal they knew they were done for the night. There was no way that shot should have gone in but the 2 kids did play very well. Hoping for a better effort Friday night
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Looks like this one's going to be settled in OT. 4-4 after three periods. Falcons led 3-1, and 4-2 but Caledonia scored a pair in the third to send the game into OT.

If not for the outstanding goaltending the Falcons received tonight, this one would've been over. The Falcons looked a lot better tonight, they controlled the play at times, but Caledonia pretty much dominated in the 3rd period.

Absolutely terrible officiating tonight. Both team's have been undisciplined tonight, but not as undisciplined as the boxscore might lead people to believe. Sinclair had a bit of an off night in the Caledonia net, but he still came up with a few great saves.

Caledonia needs to be better if they plan on sticking around though. The effort wasn't there in the first two periods tonight. Everyone needs to buckle down and stay focused here.

Caledonia is still without two key defensemen, while the Falcons are still down two key forwards.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia defeats Falcons & OFFICIALS in OT

The Corvairs killed a two minute penalty to start OT, then killed a 5 minute major. Shortly after that they potted the game winner, and completed their comeback win.

But the major that was called in OT was completely asinine!!! Charging means the player left his feet, or took several big strides before making contact. It was a race to the net, and a Falcons player had his stick in the kids feet when he hit the goalie.

I watched it over and over again.That was NOT CHARGING!!!! Absolutely brutal call. Yes Luscombe could've done more to attempt to avoid the goalie, but it was a 2 minute interference call at the most. Even making a call was questionable, as the Falcon player had his stick in Luscombe's feet. It was also a race and battle for a puck, not a kid charging the goalie!

Refs P.Rawn & B.Frede, you two are a disgrace!!! :smt078 :smt076 :smt116

But that brutal call just made the win that much sweeter. :smt004 :smt020

I felt bad for the Falcons, that was one hard loss to swallow. But as was seen again tonight, when you take a hit, lay on the ice and play dead... A sure bet your team will get a 5 minute power play! :smt031

C.Pawley paced Caledonia with 2 goals & an assist, while T.Hill potted 2 goals. M.Hore scored the other Caledonia goal. J.Evans, A.Postiglione, N.Dozzi & R.D'Intino scored for St.Catharines. Caledonia out-shot the Falcons 43-24

Go Corvairs!!! :) :smt006
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

oldtymer wrote:
BeenThereDoneThat wrote:Yes i really do. Lets face it , with the age and experience they have they are as good as some OHL teams (IMO) I'm taking nothing away from the remaining GOJHL teams, they are good in their own right but talk to any experienced GM in this league and they will echo the remarks I have made.
I have been following and been involved with Jr.B hockey for quite a few years now and I've never seen a team as stacked with talent as the Corvairs are. :smt006 :smt006
I would agree with you as I think that this team is the best Jr B team I have seen in my 40+ years of watching Jr B. I think that they are even better than the Stratford powerhouses of the late 70's. Then again if you look at their lineup they should be as they are basically a Jr A team in Jr B jerseys . After watching them annihilate Niagara Falls, it was men playing against boys. I think St Kitts might win one in the Jack but they do not have anywhere near the talent that Caledonia does. The main difference is that the Jr A players on Caledonia could still play in the O.
If Caledonia plays to their capabilities I do not think any team in the West has a chance either but time will tell. If Caledonia does win a third, lets give them their due and lets get on with implementing the Caledonia rule. While Caledonia will still field a top level team due to their resources .. at least it will be a Jr B team.
It is difficult to compare teams from different eras as the style of the game has evolved over the years. In my opinion the best Junior B hockey team was the 92/93 Barrie Colts. Their record speaks for itself.
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Tough loss for the Falcons they needed this game must find a way to steel tom game.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Game was a joke tonight. Didn't let the guys play tonight. Penalty after penalty.

St kitts looked decent in the first and second using the trap on the small ice and had a solid lead. In the third St. Kitts made the deadly mistake of trying to protect the lead and lay back against the best team in the league. St kitts was also dead tired in the third and were totally dominated. In OT St kitts got no shots on the 2 min and got 2 shots on the 5 min. Tommorow is gonna be so or die for St kitts. They lose their guaranteed to lose the series. They win they go back to home ice and have a chance. Agree with PH. Worst reffing I've seen in a while. Comparable to bolibruck. They dictated the game and it changed the way the flow of the game went.

On a side not Webbs arm looked broken after the hit Moran put on him. Should be interesting to see if he's ok. Hope for the best.
Heard shaefer is ready to go now. Likely won't be playing tommrokw night. The plan was to play him if the vairs lost tonight. A. Browns concussion seems to be day to day to day. Doesn't seem to be getting better but I hope he returns.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

A.Brown is a big loss back there. I hope he's alright for the next two rounds...
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Power plays, penalty killing------------coaching, coaching, coaching----Caledonia has it and St.Catharines doesn't---its as simple as that. :smt103 :smt090
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Caledonia was lucky to get out of St Catharines with the win.
Good penalty kill in overtime.Who were those two refs. I can't recall them.
I think it's team Frank to get back behind the bench.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Out of conference officials they were.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Tonight's scratches

Falcons- T.Hildebrandt, both Webb's, J.Parker

Corvairs- A.Brown, B.Luscombe, J.Schaefer, M.Graham, backup goalie Conway.

Luscombe is serving a one game suspension.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia up 3-0

Caledonia rallied from a 3-1 hole to win 6-3 tonight, in one of the worst called games that I've seen in years.
The game started with great flow and had a great playoff atmosphere. That changed halfway through the 1st period. The refs
took over from there. The next 30 minutes featured two donkey's doing everything they could to let St.Catharines win the game.

Then they somehow thought putting away the whistles in the 3rd period, except for a couple of Falcons penalties would somehow make the previous 30 minutes acceptable. :oops: The ref was looking directly at the play as a Corvair had his legs taken out with a stick after Caledonia's 5th goal, and when a Falcon dropped a Corvair with a cross-check a few minutes later. No call on either play. Then they let Caledonia get away with some stuff, because they know the roofs about to come off the building!

If these two clowns thought making a pair of calls on the Falcons late in the game would make people forget, I don't know what they were smoking... These two donkey's were so awful, they've been awarded their own thread on here.

The Caledonia Corvairs should be livid. If game 2 wasn't bad enough, these two so-called officials came in and topped them by a mile! :smt023 :smt013 :smt011 :smt076

3 down, 1 to go... Go Corvairs!!! :smt004
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

I don't see your argument Port. They won the game 6-3 (like there was any doubt) and outshot St. Catharines 49-15. Would it satisfy you more if the Corvairs won by 10 or 12 more goals just to prove that they are indeed the superior team?
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I agree with port. Beehive what ur suggesting is that the refs should be unbiased so that the games become fair. Last time I checked hockey is played by the players.

Anybody else notice that on volpes hit both refs didn't even have their hand up for a penalty. Then the scrum happened 10 seconds later and changed their mind on the call and have a 5. Feel bad for the kid who got hit, but sh** call.

Cali has beaten the ref multiple times this year and are gonna have to keep doing it.
drafty

Post by drafty »

Junior B calibre officials refereeing a Junior B game. Who woulda thought.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Beehive wrote:I don't see your argument Port. They won the game 6-3 (like there was any doubt) and outshot St. Catharines 49-15. Would it satisfy you more if the Corvairs won by 10 or 12 more goals just to prove that they are indeed the superior team?
What are you even talking about? What does the embarrassing display put on by the officials have to do with game sheet stats?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:I agree with port. Beehive what ur suggesting is that the refs should be unbiased so that the games become fair. Last time I checked hockey is played by the players.

Anybody else notice that on volpes hit both refs didn't even have their hand up for a penalty. Then the scrum happened 10 seconds later and changed their mind on the call and have a 5. Feel bad for the kid who got hit, but sh** call.
I noticed, that's just one example of how the game was rigged. Then there's the 2 minute penalty on Langdon.... If that was a Falcon laying on the ice, there would've been a 5 minute major. That's a fact, it's already happened twice.

This game is another example of why this league won't get Jr.A status. The officiating is beyond embarrassing. The game was called as if the Falcons were choir boys, and the Corvairs were devil worshipers!

#GOJHLISABUSHLEAGUEJOKE!
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Totally agree port. The refs literally are blind in these games. Langans hit was a brutal hit and nobody knew how it was only a 2 minute. Refs can make these games really dangerous to play if they keep blowing these calls
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

Port hockey1 wrote:
Beehive wrote:I don't see your argument Port. They won the game 6-3 (like there was any doubt) and outshot St. Catharines 49-15. Would it satisfy you more if the Corvairs won by 10 or 12 more goals just to prove that they are indeed the superior team?
What are you even talking about? What does the embarrassing display put on by the officials have to do with game sheet stats?
Only that you are never satisfied. Just be happy that your team won the game. Questionable officiating has been around for as long as the game itself. It is up to the league to come up with a solution.
GojhlFan74

Post by GojhlFan74 »

The linesman called the 5 minute major head check. Ceko, that's why both refs didn't have there hands up.
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Why was Fritsmorris playing I though t a five min major is a one game suspension.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Fitzy didn't get a 5 minute major. Luscombe was the one that got it