Mar 25th, 7:00pm
Jack Gatecliff Rink

ANC vs SCF
Mar 27th, 6:30pm
Morgan Firestone

SCF vs ANC
Mar 28th, 7:00pm
Jack Gatecliff Rink
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Re: St.Catharines(2) vs Ancaster(3), 2nd Round Playoff Thread

Post by Port hockey1 »

Falcons lucky to escape game one with OT win

St.Catharines looked really undisciplined tonight. I saw a few calls that were good calls. I don't know the whole story though, as I only caught bits and pieces of this game.

But the Falcons took 8 penalties compared to 2 for Ancaster.

Ancaster held a big advantage in shots on goal, but it's a new game in OT. 3-2 was the score tonight.

One thing I noticed, the Falcons still have too many players doing their own thing out there. Too many kids trying to do too much, and too many trying to make lazy plays with the puck at times. They might get past Ancaster playing like that. But if they continue this trend against the Corvairs it will be a quick sweep. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Ancaster got away with a few penalties in this game good thing they do not have a good power play Nice goal to win in overtime by Webb . Again the Falcons play a different style when they play Caledonia I expect a long final if the two teams meet.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

three dog night wrote:Again the Falcons play a different style when they play Caledonia I expect a long final if the two teams meet.
Not sure about long final, but I suspect tight, like last year. Close, intense games. I just don't think the Falcons can steal more than one or two from them.
three dog night

Not sure about long final, but I suspect tight, like last year. Close, intense games. I just don't think the Falcons can steal more than one or two from them. if we get them to six games and we loose it should all but assure the Falcons has the wild card team .
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Can't believe Ancaster was that more disciplined than St Catharines
16 straight minor penalty minutes. A big scratch to my head on that one
three dog night

Ancaster was not more displine t they got away with a lot last night has a neutral fan told me in the second intermission they just hid it better.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

three dog night wrote:Ancaster was not more displine t they got away with a lot last night has a neutral fan told me in the second intermission they just hid it better.
And from what I understand, most, if not all Falcon penalties were good calls. Not the refs fault this time. lol
GOJHLfollower

Post by GOJHLfollower »

Some thoughts on game one. St. Kitts deserved the penalties they got, and maybe thankful they didn't get more. The missed calls were probably even, so we'll call it square.
Big advantage of the night was the home ice. St.Kitts is a hard working team that is built for that barn. They pressure hard and finish checks. Away teams having to play with bench in wrong end for first and third period makes it tough, plus the penalty box beside the home bench. This plays more of a factor than the homers may want to admit.
Both teams are better up front than on their back ends so playing in the offensive zone is key. Ancaster had chances to put it away and couldn't finish. Hods looking more susceptible than earlier in season, so Ancaster has to be upset they didn't capitalize in game 1.
Playing on bigger ice will help Ancaster, BUT the compressor is down in Ancaster and they will be playing in the smaller B rink. The loss of the larger home ice advantage is gone.
I thought I would add some comments on Evans from St. Kitts. He's as dirty a sh** disturber as previously noted by another poster commenting on the Welland series. First period he was about set to take a draw when he noticed a shift change. As he skated by the Ancaster winger, he threw his shoulder into him, no call. Second period was a blatant slew foot behind the play in front of his bench which he conveniently ran to right after. He ended up taking 3 minor penalties, but probably deserved 6.
He'd fit in well with Caledonia with that type if play.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

GOJHLfollower wrote:He'd fit in well with Caledonia with that type if play.
Didn't see the game, but I believe every word of what you said. He's that kind of player. I lol that you had to drag Caledonia in to the equation. :D
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

lol, Evans isn't good enough to play for Caledonia. You can keep him.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Difference between him and our players is that our players will step up and fight. All he does is talk then when it comes down to it he just skated away to his bench and complains to the ref.

On this series, I think the only way St. Kitts wins is by playing on their own rink. Once their on a bigger ice surface their a average team at best. They are built for the arena they play in. Ancaster will out skate them all the time and same thing for Cali. I think St. Kitts will win but I hope Ancaster does. Ancaster is a better team overall I Beleive but the home ice in St kitts will be to tough for Ancaster to overcome
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

That's been mention a lot before about there rink.
But there home record over the years is know better than there away record.
St Cathharines is a real good team.They have way better goaltending and defencemen than Ancaster.
St Catharines beat them all year . There in Ancaster head.
But Ancaster better wake up or there out in four.
I saw Ancaster play Thorold they were lucky to win the two games I saw.
There special teams horrible. You guys blaming there rink.

POWER PLAY PENALTY KILLING
TEAM GP PPGF ADV PP% SHGA PPGA TSH PK% SHGF
Ancaster 5 1 25 4.00 0 13 28 53.57 1

1 - PPG IN 25 CHANGES 13 PPGA IN 5 GAMES
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Or u could even look at the scores when teams play their vs when they play away. When they actually played us with somewhat of a full roster we bet them ther 1-0 in 2OT twice. They come to Caledonia and we kill them once and beat them by I Beleive 3 the next time. The arena works in their favour. Same thing against NF they play them their and it went to Ot and than they go to the hale and lose 5-2 twice.
GOJHLfollower

Post by GOJHLfollower »

Doesn't take much to get under the skin of some Caledonia fans.
Nobody was blaming the rink for the loss. Just sharing an opinion that of all the rinks in the loop, or in any league, this rink holds a distinct home advantage. There's no disputing it.
The game was Ancasters to win and yes their abissmal special teams will be their downfall. That and the fact that that all other teams built throughout the season. Ancaster did the opposite: #1 goalie out for season, a top centerman gone home to Buffalo, a veteran d sustains career ending injury early in year (knee on knee against Caledonia by the way), another veteran d and a forward leave for Jr C and another forward goes home for private school. Despite this they still have a mix of some high end skill and a bit of grit. The young players are playing quite admirably and the experience/development they are receiving will serve them well in their respective futures. That said they simply do not have the depth to go far in the playoffs. It's too bad as the look of this team back in October was quite promising. Promising enough to challenge Caledonia, let alone St Kitts.
three dog night

Falcons won three out of four in Ancaster I think the big rinks suit them better.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:Difference between him and our players is that our players will step up and fight. All he does is talk then when it comes down to it he just skated away to his bench and complains to the ref.
Nailed it!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Falcons take commanding 2-0 series lead

Another nail biter tonight, with St.Catharines winning 4-3 in OT.

Ancaster had a great chance to end it early in OT after the Falcons took a roughing penalty, but the Falcons goalie shut the door. I didn't see any of this game, but it looks like the Falcons goalie was the hero again tonight. Looks like the Falcons played better than they did in game one.

Jake Evans appears to have cost Dozzi a fighting major early in the game. There was a slew of penalty's on the play, including minors to Evans, and a fight involving Dozzi.

Does Evans ever back his play up? :lol: Looks like his antics cost the Falcons a top forward early tonight.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

St.Catharines full value for their 3-2 overtime win tonight.Both teams played well but the depth in St.Catharines line up wore down the Avs. The goaltending was also great at both ends.

Just a couple of points, so much for the bigger ice surface theory and Dozzi and Nagy were fighting. When the refs made the call they made a mistake with the numbers and came back and changed it at the end of the second period. For Evans, he did play a pretty impressive game. :smt023
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

It's still not that big of a rink on side 2 of the firesTone. I was just saying that when they get to a faster team like us or NF they can't compete on the bigger Ice So their goalie has to bail them out
Brent A

Post by Brent A »

Game #4 Wednesday March 23, 2016 has been moved to the Dave Andreychuck (Mountain) Arena, 25 Hester St., Hamilton.
Start time is now 7:30pm
GOJHLfollower

Post by GOJHLfollower »

I believe I brought up the larger ice surface advantage for Ancaster, and did mention that this was lost due the the compressor failure on the 'A' rink.
Ancaster can take advantage of St. Kitts on larger ice, but it still does not guarantee a win. Nobody out works the Falcons. That with their depth, (and more-so Ancaster's lack of depth) makes this a high mountain to climb.

I think Ancaster has already proven their competitiveness with St. Kitts, it's just a matter of finishing opportunities. We'll see if the roster gets an AP boost next game and hopefully not be down 3-0 when they get Hilton back whose offensive upside can only help the cause.

Mountain rink small too. The Avalanche are just going to have to figure it out.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

They have played short bench a lot this year.
They don't seem to like to call up A Ps
I'll understand if Glanbrook playing in a play off game you don't call up players.
But it was like this all year.And the guys they called up never got any ice time.
They play there top 6 guys a lot. Matteson and Sullivan wanted to go back to JR-C to get some playing time.
They play 3 lines that's it. They lose Nagy Sunday. So Hughes and Burnell had to center every other shift.
I know Bell started in Glanbrook but I think that's the only one.
That's one thing about Caledonia and St Catharines they call up there A.Ps and play them.
But Sunday Ancaster survive the second period, St Catharines all over them.
Hughes ties it to take it to O/T. And almost wins in the first few seconds of O/T.
Ancaster really needed that game.I think they might have lost two players to injury Sunday Ponzzobon and Gauvin
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Ancaster back in series after huge win

St.Catharines took a late penalty that was very costly, as Ancaster scored a late power play goal and won game three
2-1.

This has been a really close series. It could easily be a 3-0 series for either team.
three dog night

Ancaster was the better team most of the game Falcons almost tied it up late . Next game on a neutral site if the Falcons win they can wrap it up Friday
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Terrible call by Kindree on St.Catharines forward Hildebrandt with less than 2 minutes remaining in the game. Kindree nailed him with a hit from behind which because it was called in the last 10 min of the 3rd period carries a one game suspension. Kindree obviously doesn't understand what constitutes a hit from behind. The Avs however deserved the win and its too bad we the fans have to tolerate the annoying officiating that these teams have to endure. :smt100
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote:Terrible call by Kindree on St.Catharines forward Hildebrandt with less than 2 minutes remaining in the game. Kindree nailed him with a hit from behind which because it was called in the last 10 min of the 3rd . Kindree obviously doesn't understand what constitutes a hit from behind. The Avs however deserved the win and its too bad we the fans have to tolerate the annoying officiating that these teams have to endure. :smt100
Careful, we're not allowed to be critical of these perfect refs due to a complaint. :lol: :roll: :smt003
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

3OT in Ancaster (Hamilton) tonight. Looks to be a great game with St kitts leading in shots. What a great series so far.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Going to a 4th OT.