Cali vairs!

Re: St.Catharines(2) vs Ancaster(3), 2nd Round Playoff Thread

Post by Cali vairs! »

Wow both teams must love playing at the good old Dave anderchuck arena
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Ancaster 3 St.Catharines 2 4OT

Ancaster scores in the 4th OT. Falcons were crying that there should've been a hooking penalty seconds before the goal. Several players raced to the ref to complain after the goal.

It was the 4th OT, they were letting everything go in OT. Why should they all of a sudden make that call? The right decision was made by the officials to let them play.

St.Catharines was out-shooting Ancaster 78-48 after the 3rd OT. Series is now tied at 2-2. Every game has gone to OT.

Been an awesome series so far!
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

A tough loss for the falcons costly for the wild card chase but I still hope they win the series .
three dog night

I was not at the game was Ceci that good or were the shots from the outside.
15timechamps

Post by 15timechamps »

Congrats to both teams on a very competitive game that could have gone either way. Cole Ceci played phenomenal should there have been a penalty just before the ot winner. Maybe but o well you win some you lose some.
hockeystars59

Post by hockeystars59 »

Ceci played great he saved the game a few times
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Port hockey1 wrote:Ancaster 3 St.Catharines 2 4OT

Ancaster scores in the 4th OT. Falcons were crying that there should've been a hooking penalty seconds before the goal. Several players raced to the ref to complain after the goal.

It was the 4th OT, they were letting everything go in OT. Why should they all of a sudden make that call? The right decision was made by the officials to let them play.

St.Catharines was out-shooting Ancaster 78-48 after the 3rd OT. Series is now tied at 2-2. Every game has gone to OT.

Game 3 other day did not go to overtime but Ancaster scored with what 2 minutes left so close enough I guess.
CC1

Post by CC1 »

Port hockey1 wrote:Ancaster 3 St.Catharines 2 4OT

You're wrong about them letting everything go in OT, Falcons had 2 penalties in the first OT and Avs had one in the second OT. That hook was more blatant than everything else they let go, but looking for the penalty rather than defend their goalie cost them the game. Both goalies were amazing, but Ceci really stood on his head.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

This is now officially the longest game in GOJHL play-off history. It beat the previous game, Kitchener vs. Waterloo on March 23, 2009, by 3:48.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I was at the game. What can you say EPIC.

ANCASTER 3

St. Catharines 2 (4OT) (Series tied 2-2)

HAMILTON (Mar. 23) -- Goaltender Cole Ceci made an incredible 85 saves and Zach Lawrence scored at 11:05 of the fourth overtime period to give the Ancaster Avalanche a heart-pounding 3-2 triumph over the St. Catharines Falcons. The win pulled the Avs even at two games apiece in the Golden Horseshoe Conference semifinal series. Game 5 will be played on Friday at Jack Gatecliff Arena in St. Catharines (7 p.m.)

Ceci's performance was one for the ages; included among his 85 stops were several game-saers. The exhausted Avs were playing with five regulars out of the lineup and suffered a further setback when gritty winger Michael Pollice left the game with an injury after just 13 seconds.

But the Avs played with poise and determination, thanks in part to some inspired work from several players called up from their Glanbrook Jr. C affiliate, including Joshua Pace, who scored Ancaster's first goal on a power-play at the 3:24 mark of the first period. Adam Meijer increased that lead to 2-0 just 26 seconds later.

The Falcons whittled the lead away on a power-play goal by Mitchell Webb in the second period and a goal by Romaeo D'Intino in the third. But Ceci held the fort during a St. Catharines onslaught in the OT periods, in which the Avs were outshot 44-26, until Lawrence connected on the winner. The triumph was a fitting gift for head coach Ryan Kuwabara, who was celebrating his 44th birthday.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Falcons goalie made an unbelievable save in the 3rd or 4th OT. He was down and got the glove up to save a point blank rebound that looked like a sure goal.

Save of the playoffs!
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

by GOJHLfan1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:11 am

Game 3 other day did not go to overtime but Ancaster scored with what 2 minutes left so close enough I guess.
My bad, forgot. :)

by CC1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:18 am

You're wrong about them letting everything go in OT, Falcons had 2 penalties in the first OT and Avs had one in the second OT. That hook was more blatant than everything else they let go, but looking for the penalty rather than defend their goalie cost them the game. Both goalies were amazing, but Ceci really stood on his head.
Fair enough, but they also let a lot go. The one before the winner must have been hard not to call though. It was clearly an infraction.

Hard way to lose a marathon game like that though. Feel bad for the players, but I'm sure they've moved on. :)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Ancaster Avalanche goalie Cole Ceci registers 85 saves in GOJHL playoff bout

By Dhiren Mahiban
4 hours ago

A decision to relocate from his family home in Ottawa to live with cousins in Hamilton is a move that is already paying dividends in the young career of Cole Ceci.

The goaltender’s latest highlight came in an 85-save performance as his Ancaster Avalanche edged the St. Catharines Falcons 3-2 in quadruple overtime during the wee hours of Thursday morning.

With the victory, Ancaster evened its GOJHL best-of-seven series with St. Catharines at 2-2.

Ceci, in his rookie season, saw his record improve to 6-2 in the post-season to go along with a 2.50 G.A.A. and a .925 save percentage.

“Never anything like that. That was definitely the most (shots I’ve faced),” said Ceci, who spent his Thursday sitting around and recouping from the four hour and 29 minute marathon. “I was definitely getting tired. In that last overtime, getting up after every whistle and stuff was (getting) pretty hard. The referees were telling me to take water breaks.”

With the semifinal series headed to Game 5 on Friday, the Avalanche have a renewed sense of optimism after falling behind 2-0.

“We're going in with momentum now,” said Ceci. “It's nice to come back - it's a 0-0 series (now), start new.”

If the last name sounds familiar, it should. Cole Ceci is the younger brother of Ottawa Senators defenceman Cody Ceci.

With five years separating the brothers, Cole Ceci has benefited from his brother’s path in the game.

While Cody Ceci was manning the blueline for the OHL’s Ottawa 67’s from 2010-13, Cole Ceci was on the bench with his brother as the team’s stick boy.

The gig gave Cole Ceci a prime seat to watch current Detroit Red Wings goaltender Petr Mrazek, who spent parts of three seasons with the 67’s.

“He used to be unbelievable when he played in Ottawa,” recalled Cole Ceci. “I find I kind of play like him too - really aggressive and quick. He's been a role model for me definitely.”

As for the advice he’s received from Mrazek?

“He says just have fun out there, he's a guy who always loves to have fun when he's playing - he loves to celebrate and stuff so that's kind of how I like to play now,” Ceci said.

The 18-year-old has benefitted from an opportunity presented to him in December when Avalanche starter, Matt Calas, went down with a torn labrum.

Ceci finished the 2015-16 regular season with a 2.57 G.A.A. and a .921 save percentage in 30 starts.

The Ancaster Avalanche goaltender has been outstanding for his team in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League …
“He's stepped in and definitely grown as a goalie, and definitely as a young man just to be able to handle the pressure there,” said Avalanche coach, and general manager, Ryan Kuwabar, who was selected by the Montreal Canadiens in the second round of the 1990 NHL draft. “Honestly, I didn't think he'd be our guy right now, but since December he's really stepped in to that role and had the ability and the skill level to keep getting better and give us a chance to win. It's tough for a young rookie.”
The Hamilton Bulldogs have taken notice too.

Originally a 10th round selection (184th overall) at the 2014 OHL priority selection, Ceci’s move to the Hamilton-area has allowed him to attend Bulldogs practices and get acclimated to the OHL skill level.

“I think he's now putting himself in a situation where people are becoming more and more aware of him, and we are,” said Bulldogs head coach and general manager, George Burnett, who has attended Avalanche games since the OHL season ended. “I think he's enjoying the opportunity to play (and) the results are pretty impressive.

“For a 17-year-old to play in any junior league, and play as well as he's played, is a real feather in his cap. I think it’s a tough league. The teams that they're playing against now at this time in the playoffs are good hockey teams. He's facing a lot of shots and good quality shots and he's given them a chance to win every night.”

As it stands, Hamilton will return 19-year-old goaltender Connor Hicks and 17-year-old netminder Kaden Fulcher next season, but that doesn’t mean the door isn’t open for Ceci to steal a job at camp.

“I'm hopeful that he's going to come back and challenge to be a part of our group,” Burnett said. “Everybody is on notice, we missed the playoffs by (five) points. Whether you're a goaltender or forward or defenceman - you better have a great summer and be ready to go or somebody is going to be taking your job.

“You can never have too many top young goaltenders. He's certainly put himself in the mix to be apart of things moving forward. As I would tell any young player, if you're strong enough to play in our league, then I either have to create a spot for you or help you find a place to play.”

When told of Burnett’s confidence in him, Ceci was appreciative.

“That means a ton to me,” he said “I'll definitely be training hard in the summer and hopefully get stronger and faster and come in to camp and just try to play my best, just worry about me.”
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-ga ... -playoff-b
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Going to the game in St kitts tommorow (technically today). Hope for it to be a good game after the last one. I beleive Ancaster is gonna win the series. They to me are a better team than St kitts. Goalies really are even, defence likely even since they both skate well and have size, forwards is almost even though Ancaster has more skill St kitts has more depth unless Ancaster brought up some glanbrook players. Plus shorter drive
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2016/03/24 ... rtime-loss

Wolfe's still upset about the missed call. But he says everyone kind of stopped, expecting a call to be made. That was their mistake. Take nothing for granted in a playoff game, even more so when its OT.

Game 5 should be the best game of the series.
GOJHLfollower

Post by GOJHLfollower »

A lot of focus on this missed call. Yes if earlier in the game, it gets called. But what no one has mentioned is the high stick Ancasters forward took on the play that split his lip. Does the ref call both and give the St. Kitts player a 4 min. I guess Wolfes point is a that they expected a whistle?
St Kitts shouldn't complain. Learn's hit from behind at the end of the third should or could have been a major. I expected it be a boarding which would have been a 2 plus 10 but they got lucky with just a minor.
Biggest takeaway I see from this is how much whining Wolfe and the rest of the bench do. Wolfe not quite the circus act of Bullard, but getting close. I always thought St Kitts were very classy, in victory and defeat. It's not what I'm seeing this year. It's unfortunate as the league already has its bad guys in Caledonia. Need a good guy to cheer for. I guess that is Ancaster.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

GOJHLFollower, Whatever helps you sleep at night. :smt015 :smt015 :smt015 :lol: :smt015 :smt015
three dog night

Maybe the refs watched the video on the boarder line call in game three and did not make the same mistake in game four , How come when a coach makes a statement after the game it sounds like whining when he may be stating f acts , Falcons a re the better tem I expect them to win the next two games Ceci can not stay hot forever.
GOJHLfollower

Post by GOJHLfollower »

I did not read the article about what the coach said after. I was referring to his behaviour on the bench during the game. Like I said, St. Kitts has a reputation for being a classy team. Whining at the refs all game long, every game is not class, and not what I have seen from this team in the past. I am content with Caledonia being the only bad guys in town. I agree that St.Kitts depth should prevail, and if so, I hope to have a classy team to root on in the next round not two circus acts to choose from.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Bad guys in town? What is ur definition of bad guys? 1st place? All the players I have ever talked to love playing for the corvairs for multiple reasons. Some its $ and others its that the players are treated amazingly. They are expected to work hard and never take a shift off which is implemented by bully and riz. But they are allowed to all hang out and do what they want during the day and are even treated by the owner of the team (Kenny) for supper. Cali is a very classy organization and so is Ancaster. Can't call a team bad guys just because they are a great team on the ice. I'm not by any means saying that St kitts aren't a classy organization because they are but u can't call others bad organizations because u don't like them :wink:
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GOJHLfollower wrote:I did not read the article about what the coach said after. I was referring to his behaviour on the bench during the game. Like I said, St. Kitts has a reputation for being a classy team. Whining at the refs all game long, every game is not class, and not what I have seen from this team in the past. I am content with Caledonia being the only bad guys in town. I agree that St.Kitts depth should prevail, and if so, I hope to have a classy team to root on in the next round not two circus acts to choose from.
I thought Niagara Falls, the team that trashed a dressing room, and put skate shavings on their opponents bench were the bad guys in town. :smt003

If developing players at a great rate, as they've done the last several years makes them the 'bad guys'... :roll: :smt006
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:Bad guys in town? What is ur definition of bad guys? 1st place? All the players I have ever talked to love playing for the corvairs for multiple reasons. Some its $ and others its that the players are treated amazingly. They are expected to work hard and never take a shift off which is implemented by bully and riz. But they are allowed to all hang out and do what they want during the day and are even treated by the owner of the team (Kenny) for supper. Cali is a very classy organization and so is Ancaster. Can't call a team bad guys just because they are a great team on the ice. I'm not by any means saying that St kitts aren't a classy organization because they are but u can't call others bad organizations because u don't like them :wink:
Well said, not to mention the countless young players Caledonia has developed over the last several years. :)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Falcons take 3-2 series lead

6-3 tonight. Ancaster skated well with St.Catharines 5 on 5 for the most part. But penalty's killed any chances Ancaster had tonight. Falcons power play is too good to be taking undisciplined penalties. The Falcons took several undisciplined penalty's too, leading to Ancaster scoring two straight goals to erase a 3-1 Falcons lead.

The Falcons were clearly the better team. They showed their higher skill set at times, and had a lethal power play going tonight. Cole Ceci kept Ancaster in the game again with several outstanding saves. But he could only do so much.

If Ancaster plays smart hockey they have a real chance at winning this series. But penalties will likely decide this series.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Very weak game overall tonight. Both played the same in the first. Second St kitts dominated the second period. In the third the first 10 mins was the total opposite. Ancaster dominated and came back even. But they kinda fell apart and laid back after that. If Ancaster kept their pace of play up all game I think Ancaster would've won
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:Very weak game overall tonight. Both played the same in the first. Second St kitts dominated the second period. In the third the first 10 mins was the total opposite. Ancaster dominated and came back even. But they kinda fell apart and laid back after that. If Ancaster kept their pace of play up all game I think Ancaster would've won
It's a hard task though. St.Catharines rolls three lines all night, plus they use their fourth line more often than most teams. That really wears teams like Ancaster down. Ancaster is a two line team. They use their 3rd line when the top two lines are gassed, and they don't use their fourth line that much.

But you're right. With a full 60 minute effort Ancaster can win this series. St.Catharines is very undisciplined and Ancaster needs to capitalize on that. They need to do that by playing smart hockey and staying out of the box.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Yea Ancaster doesn't have the depth. That's the difference with Cali. They can dominate St kitts because they roll 4. All lines can score if u give them a chance. And their 4th line with seguin and McCartney will wear dear even the best of players
three dog night

Falcons pull off a big 6 to 3 win Nagy takes a five min Kneeing penalty and the Falcons scored twice one with the teams four on four . Nice power play winning goal by Dozzi in the third. The Falcons can wrap it up Easter Sunday.
GOJHLinsider

Post by GOJHLinsider »

Thought I would introduce myself to everyone. I am a 1995 born player from the GHC and I checked this forum casually before. Decided to make an account and give opinions from a guy who is/was in and around what you talk about here on a daily basis. I am in no way affiliated with the GOJHL insiders Twitter.

I am not here to argue and get in keyboard wars, as that is one thing the players look at here and just laugh at.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Would be great to have a players perspective on the topics discussed. Hope it can bring new insight