Mar 24th, 8:00pm
Haldimand Center

NFC vs CAL
Mar 26th, 7:30pm
Gale Centre

CAL vs NFC
Mar 27th, 7:30pm
Haldimand Center
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Re: Caledonia(1) vs Niagara Falls(4), 2nd Round Playoff Thread

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia takes game one despite terrible reffing

7-3 was the score tonight. Caledonia out-shot Niagara Falls 42-33. Caledonia controlled the play 5 on 5 and played very well while short-handed.

This series isn't going to last long. Caledonia demonstrated the amazing skill some players have on several goals tonight. Goalie M.Sinclair made two straight highlight real saves in the 3rd period as Niagara Falls was pressing for a goal. He played great tonight.

I thought they played with a lot of discipline too. The refs were beyond embarrassing. Foster's awful! Caledonia was assessed 8 penalties in the first two periods, compared to 2 penalties assessed to Niagara Falls.

It was easy to see these clowns were trying to keep the score as close as they could. Everything was called on Caledonia. They couldn't get away with a hold, hook, nothing! Niagara Falls got away with tripping, boarding, interference, etc. right in front of the ref several times.

So Niagara Falls was allowed to play a physical game. But Caledonia had to tread with caution. What a joke! :smt031 :smt031

People didn't pay to see two clowns try to manipulate the outcome of the game. They paid to see the players decide the score. I'm hoping this is just a one-off and we see better officials for the rest of this series. Because the pathetic display that was put on tonight was embarrassing.

These games should be officiated without bias. It's only fair to the kids on both sides. If this garbage continues, the blame will be on the OHA when things get out of control in this series. Call it tight both ways, or let stuff go both ways. :oops: :smt091

Note:

Caledonia continues to play at a very high level despite being without several top players. They again dressed AP's tonight and still controlled the flow of the game. Great job boys.

One down, 3 to go. Go Caledonia!!!
:) :smt109
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I still think that NF is a strong team. They showed it tonight at certain points (mostly the third). But they had a lot of mistakes and they led to goals. Backup goalie for niagra played great except for the turnover behind the net but he made a hell of a save getting back. Should be a great series. Can't wait till Friday
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Was the reffing really that bad? Is there anyone who's not a Corvairs fan who will vouch for that? I get soooo tired of the conspiracy theories about refs trying to dictate game outcomes. Just don't buy it. Regardless of the PIMs, clearly Caledonia was in the driver's seat. Looking forward to see if NFM can bounce back on their home ice.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I didn't think it was that bad tonight. A couple missed calls but that happens in every game. Refs did a decent job in my mind. They certainly didn't effect the outcome of the game
GojhlFan74

Post by GojhlFan74 »

Reffing was fine tonight. Midwest guys who I believe 3 of the 4 ref/Line in the OHL. Couple of cheesy calls or non calls, but for the most part let both teams play.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Wow, really? The first two periods were a joke. Everything Niagara Falls did was a 'missed call'. I noticed they didn't miss anything Caledonia players did though. Missed calls are fine. But when the ref's looking right at the play, that irritates me.

The interference call on the hit on the called offside was pathetic. Kid was going for him and even let up as he hit him...Right after the whistle. It's not like he ran the kid after the whistle.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Refs weren't biased and it went both ways. When pawley got his slashing penalty it was a clear spear. He should of got more than 2 minutes for that. Missed calls both ways. They let a lot go actually. I missed most of the first but the last 2 periods were fine
Last edited by Cali vairs! on Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
gojhlrules

Post by gojhlrules »

You're right there was a missed call on that off side, should have been a 5 min penalty. That showed a real lack of respect. Whistle went coukd have stopped himself.
arcprohd

Post by arcprohd »

Here are the highlights from the game... Excuse my rough job on commentary..

http://youtu.be/1jEhQ8DWcSE
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

"Refs weren't biased"
"Reffing was fine tonight"
"I didn't think it was that bad"
"Was the reffing really that bad'
Did anyone read Ports post Caledonia was assessed 8 penalties to 2 penalties in the first and second periods.
Niagara Falls 11 power plays Caledonia 4 power plays
But the reffing was not that bad tonight ( REALLY)
11 POWER PLAYS to 4 POWER PLAYS
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Caledonia plays a bang and crash style of hockey. They are going to take more penalties because of thieir style. Saying the Falls had 11 power plays and the Corvairs only had 4 does not indicate a bias by the game officials. I attended last night's game and truthfully I didn't even notice who was reffing. They had no impact on the final score.

Oh wait, maybe they did. with out all of the penalties called on Caledonia maybe they wouldn't scored 2 shorthanded goals. :D :D :D
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Just because we got more penalties doesn't mean they were biased. If we deserved the penalties what do u want the refs to do not call them so each team has the same amount? We always cycle the puck in the corner. Their is tons of penalties that do let go. Like I said I didn't see any in the first but they were pretty good. No worse than normal
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:"Refs weren't biased"
Did anyone read Ports post Caledonia was assessed 8 penalties to 2 penalties in the first and second periods.
Shouldn't you be used to this by now?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

gojhlrules wrote:You're right there was a missed call on that off side, should have been a 5 min penalty. That showed a real lack of respect. Whistle went coukd have stopped himself.
Didn't look like he could stop to me. In fact, he clearly tried to let up on the play.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:"Refs weren't biased"
Yup, people like to ignore the facts around here. I watched the entire game, refs were brutal! :)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote:Caledonia plays a bang and crash style of hockey. They are going to take more penalties because of thieir style. Saying the Falls had 11 power plays and the Corvairs only had 4 does not indicate a bias by the game officials. I attended last night's game and truthfully I didn't even notice who was reffing. They had no impact on the final score.

Oh wait, maybe they did. with out all of the penalties called on Caledonia maybe they wouldn't scored 2 shorthanded goals. :D :D :D
I'm not buying that. The penalties that they take are regular calls. Tripping, hooking, interference, etc. That has nothing to do with their style of play, just the refs style of calling a game, IMO
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:Just because we got more penalties doesn't mean they were biased. If we deserved the penalties what do u want the refs to do not call them so each team has the same amount? We always cycle the puck in the corner. Their is tons of penalties that do let go. Like I said I didn't see any in the first but they were pretty good. No worse than normal
Not saying the calls weren't deserved. But when the same thing is ignored when it's the other team... That's not right.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

They really didn't miss all that much that I saw. NF at the end really didn't do anything deserving in the end. They were staying away from corners, after whistles didn't go into scrims. Pretty clean. It might be just cuz I'm used to refs making bad calls in our games but it could've been worse
15timechamps

Post by 15timechamps »

The reffing was decent fitzmorris got away with a major boarding in the first right in front of foster. And it was chippy between whistles on both parts. Dentico was awefull Sinclair did make a couple nice saves
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Just a couple of things. Ratchford went off in the third limping.
Did anyone notice if he came back. There already 3 D down.
Punkari played defence last night.
Also wondering if Pietrangelo will start Tynan Lauziere Friday night.
I take it that Thomas Flack must be hurt.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:Just a couple of things. Ratchford went off in the third limping.
Did anyone notice if he came back. There already 3 D down.
Punkari played defence last night.
Also wondering if Pietrangelo will start Tynan Lauziere Friday night.
I take it that Thomas Flack must be hurt.
When will A.Brown & J.Brown be back? Top defensemen and top forward out hurts... Even a team like Caledonia.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Jake Brown has 3 more games to go.
Jordan Brown, Johnathon Schaefer, Mitch Graham and Austin Brown
Two are injured and two have concussions

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... or-canucks
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Pawley's 4 goal game gives Caledonia 2-0 series lead

Corey Pawley, what a hockey player! Caledonia controlled play 5 on 5 once again. At times it was like watching a 1st place club playing a bottom feeder. Niagara Falls played a lot better than they did in game one though. They battled really hard but just can't match Caledonia's skill & compete levels as they dropped game two 5-2.

The impressive thing is Caledonia is playing this well without several top players. They lost a top defensemen to a questionable 5 minute major in the first period, and lost another top forward to a hitting from behind call in the second period. Missing the regulars plus those two key players and they still dominated play in the third period.

Go ahead and ban 20 year olds. Because this team is extremely well coached and managed. They've proven that they can still dominate middle of the pack teams with a short bench. Sinclair again came up with several key saves to hold the fort for an undisciplined Caledonia team tonight.

I thought the officiating was terrible. Cheap calls made to both sides all game. Let them play hockey, we don't watch these games for the refs!

This series will be over in 4, Caledonia's just too good.

Go Caledonia!!! :) 8)
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I agree. Some of the penalties we got tonight were deserving but the refs didn't let the teams play. It was brutal tonight. Only way that niagra falls wins a game in the series is if we take penalty after penalty like in the second period tonight.

Zottl's hit to the head to me was a hit to the head but no way was it a 5 and a game. The player received a pass and that's when zottl committed to the hit. The niagra falls player turned and passed and bent down. When u have a 6'5 defence man already commuting that's due to happen because of the size difference.
He didn't mean to hit him in the head.
Just my perspective
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Frank. WAKE UP. You can't let a guy like Pawley go unchecked all night. He's just too friggin good to let go do as he pleases all night. :smt017
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I agree the Refs didn't let them play. You're right Zottis hit should of been 2 and 10 minutes. I don't know about anyone else, but to me i didn't think Niagara Falls played as good as they did in Caledonia. I've seen them play a lot better. Players like Patrick McCade were being noticed.
To be effective he's got to use his size and hit. He was invisible last night.

Talking to some Niagara Falls fans last night, a lot of them aren't happy about Niagara Falls applying to join OJHL. It cuts down on their Hockey. They don't just go the the home games, they go to the away games too. With most of the teams being so close. If Niagara Falls joins the OJHL the closest team would be Burlington and most of Burlington's games are Fridays.

There's not a lot of difference between the two leagues, except the letters.
gojhlrules

Post by gojhlrules »

Well if you didn't think Zottyl's hit was bad, the dive Volpe took on the Grieve hit was a joke. Should have been a boarding not worthy of the game ejection, and subsequent game suspension.( I know it was after the 10 min mark of the third that's why he got a game)
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

gojhlrules wrote:Well if you didn't think Zottyl's hit was bad, the dive Volpe took on the Grieve hit was a joke. Should have been a boarding not worthy of the game ejection, and subsequent game suspension.( I know it was after the 10 min mark of the third that's why he got a game)
Read Cali vair ! post he explains it. I never saw Volpe dive. It was in the opposite corner where i was. But I believe it, like Cali vair! said let them play.