Stephen Harvey

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

Stephen Harvey

Post by Port hockey1 »

I found an article about Pelham's goalie;
Junior B goaltender Stephen Harvey still standing after facing 104 shots in playoff game

By Special to Yahoo! Canada Sports
10 hours ago
Buzzing The Net

By Dhiren Mahiban

Stephen Harvey is used to facing a high volume of shots on a nightly basis with the Pelham Panthers, but you wouldn’t blame the goaltender if he filed for overtime earlier this week.

Harvey, faced a staggering 104 shots Tuesday (that’s right, 104), in a 13-0 loss to the Caledonia Corvairs. With the victory Caledonia – the reigning OHA Sutherland Cup champions - completed the sweep of its opening-round playoff series with Pelham, outscoring the Panthers 45-1.

The 19-year-old goaltender was a busy, busy, busy man for his GOJHL team this season.
The Corvairs, the best junior B team in the OHA the past two seasons, pelted Harvey with 67 shots through the first two periods in Game 4. Pelham, the worst team in the Greater Ontario Hockey League with one win in 50 regular-season games, responded with just six.

“I was busy, that’s for sure,” Harvey joked less than 24 hours after the game. “There’s two ways to look at it. If you get 20 shots in a game, you’re sitting there doing nothing, kind of hard to stay in the game and then you can look at it getting 35-40 shots a period, you don’t really have a choice.

“I find staying in the game and keeping your head in it is easier when you’re getting more action, but I mean obviously it wears you down over the game.”

Harvey, uh, had no problems keeping his head in games this season, especially against a high-octane Caledonia offence that averaged almost six goals a game during the regular season. The two teams met seven times during the regular season including a 15-2 Caledonia win Feb.15, a game in which Harvey made 52 saves.

In 40 games, the Nanaimo, B.C., native averaged 45 shots faced per game. He finished the season with a 1-34-0 record to go along with a 7.55 G.A.A. and an .856 save percentage.

“Stephen Harvey is a good kid, good goaltender,” said Panthers GM Tim Toffolo. “I think Stephen this year thrived on playing minutes and thrived on getting a lot of shots because at the end of the day, it makes him a better goaltender.”

Before Tuesday’s 104-shot barrage, Harvey had a 10.13 GAA and .875 save percentage while facing 240 shots in the first three games of the series.

“I had a great year,” Harvey said matter-of-factly. “The experience was unreal.”

Harvey was introduced to the Panthers through one of his coaches in B.C. who knew Pelham head coach Paul MacLean. The 19-year-old made the move to the GOJHL after spending last season split between the Peninsula Panthers and Victoria Cougars in the Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League.

As for his future aspirations in the game, Harvey has school on his mind.

“I’d obviously like to obtain a scholarship, if I could,” he said. “I’m from B.C. so obviously the (Tier II) BCHL would be a good fit, but I don’t want to hurt my development and be a backup.”

After facing 1,814 shots in 40 games this season, Toffolo believes his goaltender will be well prepared for next season.

“When we’re a better hockey team next year, when we go through the recruiting process and recruit a lot of older guys for next year, when a player like Stephen Harvey only has to face 30 or 40 shots next year, it certainly changes how things happen,” he said. “All of a sudden he’s gone from facing tons of shots to now he’s got to face what’s normal and reap the benefits of this year.”

But first, a few bags of ice and a bottle of Ibuprofen for the young man.
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhoc ... 48777.html
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102