#2 St.Catharines vs #7 Welland playoff thread.

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

#2 St.Catharines vs #7 Welland playoff thread.

Post by Port hockey1 »

Recent article about Welland from the local paper;
Welland heading into playoffs with back-to-back wins

For a game that had no bearing on the final standings or on playoff seeding, the Golden Horseshoe Conference regular season finale meant quite a lot.

It wasn't meaningless to the Welland Junior Canadians, a struggling team eager to enter post-season play on a winning note, nor to the visiting Fort Erie Meteors, junior B hockey's hottest team and determined to stay that way.

Both coaches wanted their teams playing “playoff hockey,” with the Meteors having the added incentive of dominating the team that sidelined them in the opening round last season.

Fort Erie did just that, though only in shots on goal, not shots into the goal.

While the Meteors outshot the B's 47-22, including by a 16-4 margin the final period, Welland rebounded from a 2-0 deficit and, thanks to Chris Janzen's stellar play between the pipes, held on for a 4-3 victory.

The win, combined with Friday night's 6-2 come-from-behind road victory over the Pelham Panthers, gave the Junior Canadians their longest winning streak since early January.

Welland head coach Keith Osborne called the victory a “good confidence builder” heading into the playoffs.

“You always want to win heading into the playoffs,” he said. “We can take the positives from this weekend and take them into the series against St. Catharines.”

Osborne praised the play of both Janzen and Brandon McCorriston, who backstopped the Junior Canadians in their win over Pelham that snapped a nine-game losing streak.

“Chris and Brandon have been giving us good goaltending,” he said. “That's been a big plus for us.”

Danial Singer, on the power play; and Mike Masotti staked Fort Erie to a 2-0 lead 6:27 into the first period, but the game was tied at 2 heading into the middle frame thanks to goals from Dorian Maye and Jake Shaw.

Adam Barron's power-play marker accounted for the only scoring in the second period.

Connor Schmalz tied the game at the 6:50 mark of the third, but the B's regained the lead less than five minutes later when Cole Hamilton took a pass in front of the crease and rifled the puck over For Erie goaltender Riley Daniels' right shoulder.

Hamilton admitted trailing early had him thinking Sunday would not be Welland's night.

“At some points in the game we played like we used to during the losing streak,” the 20-year-old from Ottawa said.

He credited the comeback – and the victory – to the team bearing down on its scoring chances.

“It's good to get back into a winning mindset.”

Hamilton, who is ineligible to return for a second season at the junior B level, said the playoffs against St. Catharines will be a battle.

“It always is when we play them,” he said. “I think it's going to be a good series, and I think it's going to take more than four games.”

The Meteors finished the regular season fifth in the conference, only two points behind the team they will face in the first round, the Niagara Falls Canucks.

Fort Erie head coach Rob Hubbert said there's a lot to like about his team heading into the playoffs.

“For us, it's all about playing good hockey, and we've been playing good hockey for the last 5 ½ to six weeks,” he said. “Our older guys stepped their games up.”

Hubbert said the leadership of fifth-year veteran Anthony Passero had a lot to do with the Meteors' winning streak.

“He wants to play playoff hockey every night,” the coach said of the team's top scorer and one of the scoring leaders in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.

Despite the loss, Fort Erie won the season series versus Welland four wins to three, eight eight points to seven.

Niagara Falls beat Fort Erie 4-3 in head-to-head play, while the Junior Canadians went 0-4-2-1 against St. Catharines.

Both best-of-seven quarter-final series get underway Friday. Welland is at Jack Gatecliff Arena for a 7 p.m. puck drop, and the Canucks host the Meteors at Gale Centre starting at 7:30 p.m.

Bfranke@postmedia.com

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2016/02/28 ... -back-wins
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Re: #2 St.Catharines vs #7 Welland playoff thread.

Post by Port hockey1 »

From Bill Potrecz, Standard;
St. Catharines vs. Welland

The Falcons finished in second spot at 33-12-2-3.

The Junior Canadians placed seventh at 17-25-4-4.

St. Catharines took the season series winning five of the seven meetings while two games ended in a tie. All were close games with four of the five wins by only one goal.

Despite finishing 29 points ahead of Welland in the standings, Falcons general manager Frank Girhiny is well aware the Junior Canadians can be tough to play against.

“Your never take your opponent lightly,” Girhiny said. “We respect Welland and the coaching staff they have. We know that Welland is going to come well prepared.

“They’ve played us tight in a lot of games and a lot of that has to do with their goaltending (Chris Janzen). We need to get on them early and often. They rely on him and they should. He’s one of the best in the league and they play a pretty sound game.”

The Falcons have everyone available with the exception of Tyler Jackson, who is suspended for the first two games.

“For us, we need to continue to play to our strengths which is our speed and depth,” Girhiny said. “We need to get on their defence and, more importantly, we need to be disciplined which has been a challenge for us.

“I like the depth of our team. We don’t have to rely on only one or two guys which is key.”

The Falcons have had second place locked up for a few weeks now.

“Our guys realize what playoffs are all about,” Girhiny said. “They’ve been anxious to play playoffs for the last four weeks.”

Prediction: Janzen might be able to steal a game or two but not the whole series.

Falcons in five.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
15timechamps

Post by 15timechamps »

Just informed from gojhlfan1 vuic has been told to stay away from team. Good about time
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Welland comes back to win game one in OT

Down 2-0 after two periods, Welland rallied to tie the game and win it in overtime. :smt003 :smt004
Shots were 32-31 in favor of St.Catharines. Welland went 1-8 on the power play, the Falcons were 0-4. Special teams decided this game.

Welland now leads the best of seven series 1-0.

I stand behind my prediction. 8)
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

15timechamps wrote:Just informed from gojhlfan1 vuic has been told to stay away from team. Good about time
I'd have to agree. :)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

An article about game 1;

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... off-opener

Losing Stranges for any amount of time will be a huge blow. Same goes for Shaw. :(
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Was not at the game but it sounded like penalties caught up with the Falcons good crowd on hand from the box score esp with the Ice Dogs playing at home,
Volvoman

Post by Volvoman »

Was at the game last night and wanted to comment on a couple of things. First and foremost, thought the goaltending was outstanding on both sides but edge to Janzten. Was the difference. If he doesn't keep it up, Welland going is down in the next 4 games. (which is my prediction).
Secondly and most importantly, referees were a disgrace. I thought they missed a couple of calls against our team, but then I saw the no call on several blatant terrible hits on some Welland players. (that's right, I can be honest). Some things never change, and bad, bad reffing is one of them. I want to win honestly and with a good clean game. Last night wasn't one of them. Come on Falcons, we are better than that. So much talent, use it!!!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Falcons hang on to even series at 1-1

St.Catharines jumped out to a 3-0 lead on their way to a 5-3 victory, evening the best of seven series 1-1.

Welland played with a lot of heart, but being short a few key players made things a little harder. Still skated with the Falcons well. Shots were 34-32 St.Catharines. The Falcons power play was the difference maker.

Welland can win this series, just keep plugging away boys! :)
three dog night

Read the Falcons square the series up at one big game Tuesday night.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Falcons take game 3

6-1, was no contest. Welland can't keep up with them.

A classic quote in the paper from Bill Potrecz;
Jake Evans set the tone early for the St. Catharines Falcons Tuesday night.

The veteran forward could have easily retaliated after a Welland player attempted to goad him into an altercation and get him off the ice. Instead, Evans backed off and kept his cool.
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's because he runs around stirring the pot, but refuses to drop the gloves...Ever! That one really made me laugh though. Classic Bill. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8)

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2016/03/08 ... -canadians
jax

Post by jax »

Can't keep up? No kidding they have one forward and one d man and a bunch of kids. But they work hard and should be proud of themselves!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

So what happened late in the 1st period tonight? I see M.Martin of Welland appears to have jumped a Falcon player.
PENALTIES
Period 1

Welland - Matt Martin - (Fighting (Aggressor)) (AGG37), 2 MIN, 19:12
Welland - Matt Martin - (Fighting (Instigator)) (INS36), 2 MIN, 19:12
Welland - Matt Martin - (Playing without Helmet) (Gross Misconduct) (GRM62), 0 MIN, 19:12
Welland - Matt Martin - (Fighting) (Game Misconduct) (GM30), 0 MIN, 19:12
Welland - Matt Martin - (Fighting) (Major) (FI), 5 MIN, 19:12
Why do I think it involved Evans... :roll: :lol:
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Blowing a 3-0 lead is hard to swallow. Should be an even series right now. Full credit to the Falcons for not giving up and battling back. :)
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Port hockey1 wrote:Blowing a 3-0 lead is hard to swallow. Should be an even series right now. Full credit to the Falcons for not giving up and battling back. :)
No it shouldn't be an even series, Falcons won tonight. :-)

I didn't see the game, but if Evan's was quoted in the paper the other night about sucking it up for the team, then was able to suck a Canadien in to doing that, well, shame on the Canadiens. ;-) All of that being said, Falcons didn't score on the 9 min power play :shock:
Canuckalhead

Post by Canuckalhead »

It was just a case of "Welland is not very good" and St. Catharines " played with no intensity." Man for Man St. Catharines should beat Welland by 10 goals every game. The 9 minute penalty that Welland took was probably the most stupid penalty I have seen in a long time. Your team is up 2-0 and the period is coming to an end and you jump someone?? He deserved every penalty that he received. Why he was even on the ice blows me away. If he is your "goon," then he sits on the bench until you need him. That situation was totally Osborne's fault.
You can see how much the Falcons miss Girhney on the bench. Johnstone looks uninterested on the bench and fat guy in the white sports coat (Wes whatever his name is) couldn't win a game when he coached Midget or with Pelham so he really has no business being on the bench with a team like that. Their 9 minute power play was a joke. If they do make it to the final against Caledonia they will get their lunch handed to them.
three dog night

It was just a case of "Welland is not very good" and St. Catharines " played with no intensity." Man for Man St. Catharines should beat Welland by 10 goals every game. The 9 minute penalty that Welland took was probably the most stupid penalty I have seen in a long time. Your team is up 2-0 and the period is coming to an end and you jump someone?? He deserved every penalty that he received. Why he was even on the ice blows me away. If he is your "goon," then he sits on the bench until you need him. That situation was totally Osborne's fault.
You can see how much the Falcons miss Girhney on the bench. Johnstone looks uninterested on the bench and fat guy in the white sports coat (Wes whatever his name is) couldn't win a game when he coached Midget or with Pelham so he really has no business being on the bench with a team like that. Their 9 minute power play was a joke. If they do make it to the final against Caledonia they will get their lunch handed to them.
Might be a case of looking ahead if the Falcons play Caledonia it should be a good series all but one game was close has the Falcons tend to play a trap style game against Caledonia but first they have to wrap this series up and get by Ancaster.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Canuckalhead wrote: The 9 minute penalty that Welland took was probably the most stupid penalty I have seen in a long time. Your team is up 2-0 and the period is coming to an end and you jump someone?? He deserved every penalty that he received. Why he was even on the ice blows me away. If he is your "goon," then he sits on the bench until you need him. That situation was totally Osborne's fault.
How's that Osborne's fault? Why shouldn't he have been on the ice? I've never heard of players spending the entire game on the bench, this isn't basketball.

And he's no goon. Wan't to talk about goon? Just look at Evans. Cheap-shots and chirping all night every night but turtles when he's finally called out. :lol: :lol: :smt044 :smt005

He made a bad choice for sure. He knew Evans would turtle like a little coward. So he shouldn't have went after him like that with his team in the lead.

But as much as I dislike Evans, he made a smart move by not fighting back and giving his team the power play...Even though I believe he went down because he's a coward. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Port hockey1 wrote:
Canuckalhead wrote: The 9 minute penalty that Welland took was probably the most stupid penalty I have seen in a long time. Your team is up 2-0 and the period is coming to an end and you jump someone?? He deserved every penalty that he received. Why he was even on the ice blows me away. If he is your "goon," then he sits on the bench until you need him. That situation was totally Osborne's fault.
How's that Osborne's fault? Why shouldn't he have been on the ice? I've never heard of players spending the entire game on the bench, this isn't basketball.

And he's no goon. Wan't to talk about goon? Just look at Evans. Cheap-shots and chirping all night every night but turtles when he's finally called out. :lol: :lol: :smt044 :smt005

He made a bad choice for sure. He knew Evans would turtle like a little coward. So he shouldn't have went after him like that with his team in the lead.

But as much as I dislike Evans, he made a smart move by not fighting back and giving his team the power play...Even though I believe he went down because he's a coward. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes it was Evans he jumped and it was all sparked by Tuesday nights game. Was stupid when he did it then and was even more stupid when he jumped him last night.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Like I said on previous posts, head games are also part of hockey and it sounds like Evans got into Martin's head and played him like
a one string violin. :smt035 Don't blame this one on Ozzie. Evans plays at a much higher skill level then Martin and obviously at a
much higher brain level too. :smt056
jax

Post by jax »

Martin a goon? Lol.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Falcons end Welland's season

Falcons win this one 4-2. I called an upset, but after losing a couple of key players early in the series, it became evident that an upset wasn't in the cards.

But I have to give the Falcons the credit they deserve. Even if Welland had a healthy lineup, they would've had a very hard time with St.Catharines. The Falcons are a veteran team, their depth and discipline won them this series.

Congrats on a great series, best of luck with Ancaster. :)
15timechamps

Post by 15timechamps »

Welland has nothing to be ashamed of they played every game hard. Even though they were missing 5-6 regulars and weren't. A scoring team in the first place. Keep your head up boys and be proud. Most people had St. Catharines in a romp
three dog night

Have too give Welland credit tonight they never gave up but not scoring on the five min power play in period two hurt their cause.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

CC1

Post by CC1 »

Kudos to Welland who gave it their all right up to the last minute but the Falcons were the better team. Bring on the Avalanche!