Welland problems

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

Welland problems

Post by Port hockey1 »

What's the deal with Welland's ownership? A 9-2 loss tonight in Ancaster! :roll:

This team has been somewhat building for 3 years now. Still two great goalies, but no offense, and a defense that isn't what it was last season.

I've been very patient, but I've stopped wasting my money on Welland games after the trade deadline came and went, again without anything happening.

Three years in a row I've been told they were working on a few things but they didn't pan out. Well that's not good enough! These two goalies deserve better than this! The players are out there.

Ownership just doesn't want to spend anything to get anyone. I get that Welland doesn't have deep pockets and can't just go get guys like some other teams are able to. But they're supposed to build with local talent and a few imports to improve the areas that need improvement.

The developing part is happening. But all the imports are younger third line players. Most of whom will move up a level before they're 19 years old.

Where's the added talent needed to win? Welland supporters are getting impatient and deserve some real, detailed answers. Not the same old "things didn't pan out" line! :smt021

BTW: Since there's a band in Welland called "Welland Problems"... I thought the title was appropriate. :wink:

It's All
WELLAND
Good! 8)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
15timechamps

Re: Welland problems

Post by 15timechamps »

Porthockey1 it would be nice if you stopped ripping all these teams apart do you know there finicial situations or what is going on behind the scenesI don't see you bashing all the Caledonia suspensions so close to the playoffs. I know it's all the refs picking on them. Btw how many games have you actually been to or you just go by what point streak shows.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

15timechamps wrote:Porthockey1 it would be nice if you stopped ripping all these teams apart do you know there finicial situations or what is going on behind the scenesI don't see you bashing all the Caledonia suspensions so close to the playoffs. I know it's all the refs picking on them. Btw how many games have you actually been to or you just go by what point streak shows.
It would be nice if you let others voice their opinions!!! I'm not ripping anything, as a Welland fan I am demanding answers!!!

And I left comments about the Caledonia players yelling at the refs. I said it needs to stop!!! I've been to a lot of games this season, how many have you been to?

What was the point of your post? I ask a legit question, that many Welland fans are looking for answers to, and you try to target me with your response.

Comment on the topic at hand or buzz off! :smt004 :smt006
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
15timechamps

Post by 15timechamps »

My point just stop on everything and enjoy the friggin game. Welland has had opertunities to make deals. Just not the right deal and been to almost 70 games from strathroy to Fort Erie
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

15timechamps wrote:My point just stop on everything and enjoy the friggin game. Welland has had opertunities to make deals. Just not the right deal and been to almost 70 games from strathroy to Fort Erie
This is my point. Three years in a row now they've said the right deals just weren't there. Other teams including Fort Erie found players throughout the season this year. Why does this happen to Welland?

Welland has a solid reputation and their owner is a stand up guy. That's why I've been staying quiet on this topic for three years now.

Another poster was complaining a few months ago and my response was to be patient. But when nothing big happened again by this season's deadline I was getting more frustrated. After that embarrassing loss, I guess it kind of triggered me.

They have two great goalies, I think the younger one might be the best in the league next year, if he returns. They also are a very well coached team. A great defense first strategy.

But where's the needed talent to win? Why can't they get an affiliation with a Jr.A club? That would be a huge help. I don't think they currently have one?

I wan't nothing more than ownership to ensure the fans that they are committed to icing a competitive team. I've been very pleased with the young players they've found from all over the past couple of years. I just hope this team isn't turning into Fort Erie. No offense intended, but for years their focus was on development. They'd hardly add any import talent to make a legit go at it.

My understanding is Welland has been looking for a natural goal scorer and a play maker. But they've taken a step back this season. They're really missing Flack up front this season.

I just want to be assured that they'll be competitive next season. I wasn't trying to rip them apart. I apologize to anyone I might have offended.

It's All
WELLAND
Good!

Go Welland! :smt109 :)
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

The reason for the drop off in Welland is all on the shoulders of the organizations top management. The owner is so cheap that it takes four cans of WD 40 to get the squeaks out when he walks. Their coach has turned into a screaming manic that has turned good players off when it comes to playing in Welland. Last night was a fine example of why players don't return to play here. Screaming and yelling at a kid that just made a mistake on the ice is not a way to treat kids that are doing their best. Why do so many players that are eligible to return, do not ? I know, I'm at the games . I just don't read game summaries and then voice an opinion.

Attendance has almost been cut in half over the last few years. We the paying fans are fed up with the gong show going on. Mr. Owner, if you have lost interest in producing a competitive team, then sell your franchise to someone that will put more effort into doing so. :smt075
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: I know, I'm at the games . I just don't read game summaries and then voice an opinion.
If that was directed at me, I've been to many games this season. Most of them being Welland home/away games. I've made a point of not commenting on regular season games involving Welland.

Because I would've posted things that I'd regret by now. I think the coach yelling is frustration. These kids know when they screw up he'll let them know about it. The one's who make the same mistakes get yelled at. There's others who get a quick talking to when they return to the bench after making a mistake too.

They have a good coach, but some kids can't handle playing under pressure. I call that soft, or a problem with anxiety. Hubbs screams at his kids all the time. You see results too. So I don't know if that can be the sole reason for players leaving. They've done a good job at getting kids to come back though. It isn't like bunches are leaving Welland.

Welland treats their players good, I know this as a fact. :)
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote:The reason for the drop off in Welland is all on the shoulders of the organizations top management. The owner is so cheap that it takes four cans of WD 40 to get the squeaks out when he walks. Their coach has turned into a screaming manic that has turned good players off when it comes to playing in Welland. Last night was a fine example of why players don't return to play here. Screaming and yelling at a kid that just made a mistake on the ice is not a way to treat kids that are doing their best. Why do so many players that are eligible to return, do not ? I know, I'm at the games . I just don't read game summaries and then voice an opinion.

Attendance has almost been cut in half over the last few years. We the paying fans are fed up with the gong show going on. Mr. Owner, if you have lost interest in producing a competitive team, then sell your franchise to someone that will put more effort into doing so. :smt075
While I do agree with some of your points you guys do not know the behind the scenes and why it happens either. Ozzy has been a lot better this year (because he was told) then he has been in the past as well with the record that the Jr Canadians have. Wouldnt you be pissed to if you were the coach and the same mistakes happen over and over and you have a record of 15-25-4-4 good for 7th place. Not sure how anyone could be happy with that. Also the team started of the year pretty decent and it all went down hill from there so seeing how you guys are frustrated as fans what do you think the coach is? There is no rewards for losing in this league.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

A couple of points. I didn't direct my comments to anyone in particular. it was just my observation on how some make comments then state "however I wasn't at the game". I agree with the comments made about the coach. I just didn't make it clear at to what I was getting at. Oz is a good coach and is probably frustrated with the lack of support he is receiving. Yes, Welland started out fine and then every team above them in the standings made significant moves to improve their situations, while at the same time Welland made some small and insignificant moves to improve. If we are not frustrated with whats going on in Welland I guess its because we live so close to Pelham. :( :(
jax

Post by jax »

Really? You need to ask what's up with welland?
Welland problems?
It's obvious! The owner will not put money back into the team.
What also is obvious is that they would not of finished last year with more wins than st catharines if it was not for coach Osborne. Should of been coach if the year again! So when they have no talent and no coach Osborne possibly next year Tim may move up a spot.