Fort Erie 5 Caledonia 2!!!!

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

Fort Erie 5 Caledonia 2!!!!

Post by Port hockey1 »

If anyone still thinks Fort Erie isn't for real, well you'll see in the playoffs!

As for those who were ragging on Caledonia and their level of talent that they shouldn't have... Looks like they aren't so far apart from the rest of the league after all.

Just a special team, like that Thorold team that had a 37 game undefeated streak several years ago. The Corvairs were missing a few to suspension. But a team that potent can absorb that.

I think many jumped to conclusions and owe Caledonia an apology. :) :smt006
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Re: Fort Erie 5 Caledonia 2!!!!

Post by Port hockey1 »

I see a few Caledonia players lost it on the refs at the end of the game. One player took a match penalty for abuse of officials.

This needs to stop! I realize some of these refs are a joke, but by going off on them you are only hurting your team.

Kostyk & Purnell are brutal refs who have very large egos.

If I was Caledonia, I'd start paying someone to go off on the refs all night from the stands if the games aren't being called fairly.

There's a fine line. We can't have players constantly yapping at the refs. It makes things harder on their team. Nobody is of any use sitting in the stands after being suspended. Some of these refs aren't bad and I realize they have a thankless job.

But at the same time some of these guys have no respect or integrity for the game, so why should that be accepted? Paying someone to shame them into calling a more balanced game from the stands is the way to go. The team won't have to deal with suspensions that way. There are pro's who will do this for a set rate. :mrgreen:

Also players say things that are way over the line when things are heated. So it's never a good thing when we have players chirping the refs. All teams should be getting creative to deal with this problem.

I know my opinion won't be popular, but it's my opinion. :smt004 :smt006
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I'll like to here from someone at the Fort Erie game last night.
Not like Jake Brown, 7 games and Fitzmorris 4 games
So that's Hill, Schaefer, Fitzmorris, Zottl, and Jake Brown under suspension
I take it Luscombe, McCartney and Austin Brown must be hurt or something they haven't played the last few games.
Want a way to start the playoffs and St Kitts and Ancaster this FRI. and SAT.
It's a good thing there meeting Pelham in the first round.
This chirping at Refs your not going to win, you know this it only makes it worst.
Letting players goating you in to fights and penalties is only going to get worst.
They know half of Caledonia's players will be up for big suspensions next time.
Don't have to worry about Caledonia getting beat there beating them self's.
NO DISCIPLINE
NO 3PEAT
IT'S THAT SIMPLE
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Port hockey1 wrote:I see a few Caledonia players lost it on the refs at the end of the game. One player took a match penalty for abuse of officials.

This needs to stop! I realize some of these refs are a joke, but by going off on them you are only hurting your team.

If I was Caledonia, I'd start paying someone to go off on the refs all night from the stands if the games aren't being called fairly.

There's a fine line. We can't have players constantly yapping at the refs. It makes things harder on their team. Nobody is of any use sitting in the stands after being suspended. Some of these refs aren't bad and I realize they have a thankless job.

But at the same time some of these guys have no respect or integrity for the game, so why should that be accepted? Paying someone to shame them into calling a more balanced game from the stands is the way to go. The team won't have to deal with suspensions that way. There are pro's who will do this for a set rate. :mrgreen:

Also players say things that are way over the line when things are heated. So it's never a good thing when we have players chirping the refs. All teams should be getting creative to deal with this problem.

What? Kostyk and Purnell are 2 of the best officials in this conference. Also it was changed from verbal abuse to physical abuse so I am not sure how thats big egos. YOU CANT HIT OFFICIALS
CC1

Post by CC1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:I'll like to here from someone at the Fort Erie game last night.
Not like Jake Brown, 7 games and Fitzmorris 4 games
So that's Hill, Schaefer, Fitzmorris, Zottl, and Jake Brown under suspension
I take it Luscombe, McCartney and Austin Brown must be hurt or something they haven't played the last few games.
Want a way to start the playoffs and St Kitts and Ancaster this FRI. and SAT.
It's a good thing there meeting Pelham in the first round.
This chirping at Refs your not going to win, you know this it only makes it worst.
Letting players goating you in to fights and penalties is only going to get worst.
They know half of Caledonia's players will be up for big suspensions next time.
Don't have to worry about Caledonia getting beat there beating them self's.
NO DISCIPLINE
NO 3PEAT
IT'S THAT SIMPLE
Definitely not like Jake Brown. Agree that an undisciplined team is not going to win. Frustrated with reffing or not, they have to man up and walk away. Congrats to FE, they are really stepping it up at the right time. Looks like Caledonia is self-imploding
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GOJHLfan1 wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:I see a few Caledonia players lost it on the refs at the end of the game. One player took a match penalty for abuse of officials.

What? Kostyk and Purnell are 2 of the best officials in this conference. Also it was changed from verbal abuse to physical abuse so I am not sure how thats big egos. YOU CANT HIT OFFICIALS
I don't condone any of that. Purnell... I've never liked the guy, Kostyk, really? If these are our best... I mean Bulibrook's worse... But you like these two?

Fair enough, we all have our opinions.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Port hockey1 wrote:
GOJHLfan1 wrote:

I don't condone any of that. Purnell... I've never liked the guy, Kostyk, really? If these are our best... I mean Bulibrook's worse... But you like these two?

Fair enough, we all have our opinions.
Name me 2 that are better?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Alright, the more I think about it... I don't care for Kostyk... But he calls good games. I owe him an apology. He does get a little whistle happy sometimes though.

But it's a very hard job to do. And all our refs deserve credit for dedicating their time to calling these games. But at the same time, some of these guys are known to go a little nuts at times, and start power tripping. Something needs to be done because this leads to players saying/doing things in the heat of the moment that they wish they wouldn't have done.

I don't condone that stuff, but I certainly see why it happens at times. Its gotten a lot worse over the last 5-6 years. I don't know, maybe coaches need to penalize their players for talking back to the refs.

Purnell, I've just never liked him. I know a lot of others who will say he's come a long way. And he has, but he still starts power tripping far too often.

Can I name two who are better... I can name several that I miss. I think there's several who let the players play more. But I don't really have a favorite ref anymore. As long as it isn't Bolibruck... I'm usually fine with the refs.

I really don't know how Bolibruck has a job. He's terrible and clearly holds grudges over a few teams.
GojhlFan74

Post by GojhlFan74 »

From someone who was at the game. I'd like to agree and say Purnell and Kostyk are both good refs, Purnell is usually pretty consistent, Kostyk has times where he's not. As for the brown incident, puck was rolling to him at the end of the game (probably 1-2 seconds left) and he took a quarter wind up and slapped the puck into the corner where Purnell was standing. Puck did not hit purny but it was probably within 5-7 feet of hitting him. He immediately blew his whistle as the horn went and threw brown out.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GojhlFan74 wrote:From someone who was at the game. I'd like to agree and say Purnell and Kostyk are both good refs, Purnell is usually pretty consistent, Kostyk has times where he's not. As for the brown incident, puck was rolling to him at the end of the game (probably 1-2 seconds left) and he took a quarter wind up and slapped the puck into the corner where Purnell was standing. Puck did not hit purny but it was probably within 5-7 feet of hitting him. He immediately blew his whistle as the horn went and threw brown out.
Then Brown did NOTHING wrong. The puck was in play. He's entitled to shoot it into the corner. This makes me livid! :twisted:
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Port hockey1 wrote:
GojhlFan74 wrote:From someone who was at the game. I'd like to agree and say Purnell and Kostyk are both good refs, Purnell is usually pretty consistent, Kostyk has times where he's not. As for the brown incident, puck was rolling to him at the end of the game (probably 1-2 seconds left) and he took a quarter wind up and slapped the puck into the corner where Purnell was standing. Puck did not hit purny but it was probably within 5-7 feet of hitting him. He immediately blew his whistle as the horn went and threw brown out.
Then Brown did NOTHING wrong. The puck was in play. He's entitled to shoot it into the corner. This makes me livid! :twisted:
I dont know if I would say he did nothing wrong? Why shoot the puck that way in the first place? Just saw this not to long ago by someone in the NHL to and they were thrown out. Do I think they could appeal and have it reduced seeing how puck didnt hit Purnell yes and they should. Should still be disciplined though.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GOJHLfan1 wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:
I dont know if I would say he did nothing wrong? Why shoot the puck that way in the first place? Just saw this not to long ago by someone in the NHL to and they were thrown out. Do I think they could appeal and have it reduced seeing how puck didnt hit Purnell yes and they should. Should still be disciplined though.
I can respect opinions on this. A poor choice for sure. But if the clock was still running I don't see how that can be an issue, never mind the serious issue this has turned into.

I see the league's/officials side too. Shooting a frozen puck at an official is dangerous. But if the clock was running, kind of a grey area, no?

Would be like a catcher "missing" a ball that's crotch level with the umpire. lol I guess I could see being suspended a game or 2... But under what grounds? That's why the call had to be what it was. There was basically nothing else to call? Maybe a 10 minute misconduct?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Port hockey1 wrote:I see the league's/officials side too. Shooting a frozen puck at an official is dangerous. But if the clock was running, kind of a grey area, no?
How is this any different than Battisti shooting the puck at the ref last Sunday, other than the fact that contact was made?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
OHAHockeyFan

Post by OHAHockeyFan »

or Stratford player getting 7 for using a "slur"

so it's okay to put a ref in PHYSICAL DANGER intentionally

but you have to sit out almost a quarter of a season for saying a bad word
Sunnydays

Post by Sunnydays »

RocketGirl wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:I see the league's/officials side too. Shooting a frozen puck at an official is dangerous. But if the clock was running, kind of a grey area, no?
How is this any different than Battisti shooting the puck at the ref last Sunday, other than the fact that contact was made?

Well you just kind of explained why right there.... NO CONTACT was made so how did he physically abuse him? i could see an attempt to injure or something but seeing as it didn't actually physically harm him how do you call it that way? not saying it didn't warrant a suspension just saying it didn't warrant that suspension in particular.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Sunnydays wrote:
RocketGirl wrote:

Well you just kind of explained why right there.... NO CONTACT was made so how did he physically abuse him? i could see an attempt to injure or something but seeing as it didn't actually physically harm him how do you call it that way? not saying it didn't warrant a suspension just saying it didn't warrant that suspension in particular.
Yep basically what I said. Suspension worthy but not 7 games.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:
The play was dead when Battisti did it. Huge difference.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

When I looked at the box score for that game, he had been called for MP24 which is Threatening an Official. I now see that it's been changed to MP25 for Physical Abuse. As the puck didn't hit the ref, it's not really physical, but based on what's been described above, he shot the puck in the referee's direction, therefore in my opinion, it's no different than Battisti.
GojhlFan74 wrote:As for the brown incident, puck was rolling to him at the end of the game (probably 1-2 seconds left) and he took a quarter wind up and slapped the puck into the corner where Purnell was standing. Puck did not hit purny but it was probably within 5-7 feet of hitting him. He immediately blew his whistle as the horn went and threw brown out.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:When I looked at the box score for that game, he had been called for MP24 which is Threatening an Official. I now see that it's been changed to MP25 for Physical Abuse. As the puck didn't hit the ref, it's not really physical, but based on what's been described above, he shot the puck in the referee's direction, therefore in my opinion, it's no different than Battisti.
GojhlFan74 wrote:As for the brown incident, puck was rolling to him at the end of the game (probably 1-2 seconds left) and he took a quarter wind up and slapped the puck into the corner where Purnell was standing. Puck did not hit purny but it was probably within 5-7 feet of hitting him. He immediately blew his whistle as the horn went and threw brown out.
But players fire the puck at the boards all the time as the clock winds down. Is doing so against the rules?(serious question)

Because if it isn't, I think Brown made a poor choice, but I just don't see how there's a penalty there. What was the infraction?

Battisti fired the puck after the play was dead. That's completely different. Players aren't allowed to shoot the puck when the play is dead. But they most certainly are when there clock's rolling.

Is there a rule about not shooting the puck near officials while the game is in play? I've always thought it's up to the official to not be in the way of the puck. I'm a tad confused. :)
OffTheRecord

Post by OffTheRecord »

I saw Bullard at the Glanbrook/Hagersville game last night speaking to an OHA supervisor. Bullard told him he felt awful and the next time he saw Purnell he'd personally apologize. He admitted his player was wrong.

There are times when a player is just dumping the puck into the corner, obviously nobody will have a problem with that...it seems this time the player intentionally shot the puck in the direction of the referee, as a type of 'warning shot'.

We also don't know what could have transpired leading up to this. Someone on Caledonia may have told Purnell to keep his head up as a puck may be heading in his direction. Obviously Caledonia would not have been happy being down 5-2 at the time, so natural reaction is to be pissed off at the refs. Referees sense this, so when a puck is shot at him, he knows if it's a dump in or not. Time remaining was also a factor in the decision.

An appeal was filed and the league essentially saw it the same way that the refs did.
BRIAN RIZZETTO

Post by BRIAN RIZZETTO »

PLEASE GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT (OFF THE RECORD)THE CALEDONIA CORVAIRS DID NOT APPEAL THIS CALL...WE FEEL IT WAS A STUPID ACT MADE BY AGREAT HOCKEY PLAYER,AND A VERY NICE KID. WE DON'T CONDONE THIS CONDUCT IN CALEDONIA,AND THE MATTER HAS BEEN CLEARLY DISSCUSSED WITH THE PLAYER INVOLVED...END OF STORY
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

I made the following comment earlier on the Shoe forum as part of a different conversation, but it seems relevant to what I read on this thread:

"...it will be an embarrassment if Caledonia doesn't win the Suthie with the crew they've assembled here. If they get on the ropes in the play-offs, I also shudder to think of the violence that may unfold given the penalty minutes the Corvairs have already racked up..."

Subsequent to this, it's been interesting to read the commentary about Caledonia's recent losses, largely attributed to undisciplined play, and all the ref-blaming that's going on by some observers. It's also interesting to look at what's been happening with the most penalized team in the league with regard to suspensions. Within the last month, nine suspensions in total, and all but one multiple games -- all in, 36 games.

Caledonia 01/23/16 DEL Schaefer, Johnathon (D) placed on league suspension for 4 games
Caledonia 01/23/16 DEL Hill, Tyler (F) placed on league suspension for 1 games
Caledonia 01/23/16 DEL Bullard, Mike () placed on league suspension for 2 games
Caledonia 01/24/16 DEL Zottl, Nick (D) placed on league suspension for 9 games
Caledonia 02/06/16 DEL Volpe, Daniel (F) placed on league suspension for 4 games
Caledonia 02/20/16 DEL Schaefer, Johnathon (D) placed on league suspension for 2 games
Caledonia 02/20/16 DEL Hill, Tyler (F) placed on league suspension for 3 games
Caledonia 02/21/16 DEL Brown, Jake (F) placed on league suspension for minimum 7 games
Caledonia 02/21/16 DEL Fitzmorris, Mitchell (F) placed on league suspension for 4 games

I hope the coaches and management are trying to rein this gong show in. Yes, the Corvairs are a "special" team. Let's hope no one gets seriously hurt as they try to prove the fact.
OffTheRecord

Post by OffTheRecord »

Thank you Brian for responding.

I was under the impression that the suspension was reduced as a result of an appeal. Again, thanks for clearing that up.

Your response in fact supports the reason for my original post on the matter. The organization felt that their player was wrong, unlike the fans who are trying to defend him and claim it was an overreaction by the ref.

Cheers and good luck in the playoffs to all teams.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

OffTheRecord wrote:Thank you Brian for responding.

I was under the impression that the suspension was reduced as a result of an appeal. Again, thanks for clearing that up.

Your response in fact supports the reason for my original post on the matter. The organization felt that their player was wrong, unlike the fans who are trying to defend him and claim it was an overreaction by the ref.

Pointstreak still shows minimum 7. Was it reduced?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Qwerty wrote:

Yes, the Corvairs are a "special" team. Let's hope no one gets seriously hurt as they try to prove the fact.
That's a two way street.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

OffTheRecord wrote:Thank you Brian for responding.

But the point is it isn't a penalty. A bad choice, sure... But how's that a penalty?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

But bad choices are penalties.
Queen of the GOJHL