FastHockey.. Your experience?

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

arcprohd

FastHockey.. Your experience?

Post by arcprohd »

Hey everyone.

Just looking for members experiences with FastHockey (for those that subscribe or have access). I noticed the posting on Twitter yesterday that Pointstreak is going into live streaming as well to integrate their statistics data/dynamic information with video of the games.

This would really bring the GOJHL on par with what the pro leagues deliver. I hate having to switch screens when I want to watch the Game Live for stats updates. In Poinstreak video streaming this would be all in 1 window. (The OUA does this with their OUA.tv through Stretch Internet)

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts. Sorry I posted it here in the GHC but I didn't want to multiple post in all forums. Plus since I do most of my work in the GHC for video coverage of the Corvairs it seemed logical.
GOJHLfan1

Re: FastHockey.. Your experience?

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Sounds like a pretty cool idea to me. It is a pain having to switch back in fourth between screens so this would definitely be more convenient for everyone. I have access to Fast Hockey. Quality is brutal for GOJHL games at least but hey its better then nothing I suppose. Every game would be better with commentary to which there is not.
arcprohd

Post by arcprohd »

I agree commentary is a must for games. I've been spoiled in Caledonia having John Molson commentate all the games as long as we've been there. The funny thing about quality is most teams have sufficient computer setups to support HD broadcasting to FH. They would just need to use the HDMI output on their cameras and patch it into the system that way.

It's probably either internet connection speed that's the limiting factor or the fact that they ship the computer systems to the teams with only the analog (SD) hookup.

Not sure why a lot of teams choose the corner location for their cameras. Centre ice at the top of the seats is the best broadcast similar location.

Teams that broadcast in HD from my viewing are: Elmira, Stratford, Caledonia.

Excuse me if I miss any as I let my subscription lapse after 1 month due to not meeting my expectations.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

arcprohd wrote:Hey everyone.

Just looking for members experiences with FastHockey (for those that subscribe or have access). I noticed the posting on Twitter yesterday that Pointstreak is going into live streaming as well to integrate their statistics data/dynamic information with video of the games.

This would really bring the GOJHL on par with what the pro leagues deliver. I hate having to switch screens when I want to watch the Game Live for stats updates. In Poinstreak video streaming this would be all in 1 window. (The OUA does this with their OUA.tv through Stretch Internet)

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts. Sorry I posted it here in the GHC but I didn't want to multiple post in all forums. Plus since I do most of my work in the GHC for video coverage of the Corvairs it seemed logical.
Will their be any live Caledonia playoff games streamed by you guys this year?
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I decided to take the wait and see approach with fasthockey. I didn't want to make an investment until I know more about it.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
arcprohd

Post by arcprohd »

Port hockey1 wrote: Will their be any live Caledonia playoff games streamed by you guys this year?
Unfortunately never again. The rights to live streaming the GOJHL now rests with FastHockey. It's an unfortunate situation as we really enjoyed live streaming the games via YouTube LIVE (and invested considerable money in top-notch equipment). As a whole I guess it's better for the league as they get the worldwide exposure of FastHockey's viewers (plus a minor revenue stream from payments from FH).

We will post highlights in the playoffs at least to keep 'Vairs fans up-to-date on how the team is doing.
Sunnydays

Post by Sunnydays »

GOJHLfan1 wrote:Sounds like a pretty cool idea to me. It is a pain having to switch back in fourth between screens so this would definitely be more convenient for everyone. I have access to Fast Hockey. Quality is brutal for GOJHL games at least but hey its better then nothing I suppose. Every game would be better with commentary to which there is not.

I've had fast hockey access all year and couldn't agree more (free coverage) if I paid for it, it wouldn't last long that's for sure, every team other than the 3 mentioned by Arcpro are absolutely horrible. Hard to watch is being nice about it.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

arcprohd wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote: Will their be any live Caledonia playoff games streamed by you guys this year?
Unfortunately never again. The rights to live streaming the GOJHL now rests with FastHockey. It's an unfortunate situation as we really enjoyed live streaming the games via YouTube LIVE (and invested considerable money in top-notch equipment). As a whole I guess it's better for the league as they get the worldwide exposure of FastHockey's viewers (plus a minor revenue stream from payments from FH).

We will post highlights in the playoffs at least to keep 'Vairs fans up-to-date on how the team is doing.
Thanks for the reply. It was great viewing games with the great play by play calling online. You guys have done a great job!

I'm sure I'll see a few of their games in person this post-season. As long as they play in St.Catharines, Niagara Falls, Fort Erie, or Welland at some point. Caledonia's a little far for me.

Thanks again. :)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Sunnydays wrote:
GOJHLfan1 wrote:Sounds like a pretty cool idea to me. It is a pain having to switch back in fourth between screens so this would definitely be more convenient for everyone. I have access to Fast Hockey. Quality is brutal for GOJHL games at least but hey its better then nothing I suppose. Every game would be better with commentary to which there is not.

I've had fast hockey access all year and couldn't agree more (free coverage) if I paid for it, it wouldn't last long that's for sure, every team other than the 3 mentioned by Arcpro are absolutely horrible. Hard to watch is being nice about it.
Is there ways to get it for free? Or have you had access through a third party... Free access sounds great to me. :D
arcprohd

Post by arcprohd »

Port hockey1 wrote: Is there ways to get it for free? Or have you had access through a third party... Free access sounds great to me. :D
Teams are given a few passes for use viewing games by team related people. Other than that every viewer is paid. They stop sharing of logins by allowing only 1 location to subscribe to a single game at once.
arcprohd

Post by arcprohd »

Sorry.. just wanted to add. The other big issue with me and the way FastHockey runs is that they don't use adaptive encoding for games. What that means is that their system can't tailor the video quality to the internet speed of who is viewing it.

YouTube LIVE used to allow us to send it all of the Corvairs games in 720P HD. The YouTube system would then create multiple live streams of the game at various qualities from slow dial-up quality all the way up to the full HD. It's a necessity in my opinion as no one should be having broken playback just because their internet may be slow.