Limit 20 years old

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

three dog night

Limit 20 years old

Post by three dog night »

I have heard rumblings this weekend that the GOHL may limit 20 year olds to four per team and up the limit to 16 year olds to four per team.
ILuvHackey

Re: Limit 20 years old

Post by ILuvHackey »

I like the sounds of that.

The league needs to work towards being a real feeder development league. The D1 and D3 pipeline hasn't been as good lately. Work on that, as well as development of OHL talent.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Ok, ok, if that's what we're going to do as a league, let's make sure we're very careful. Because we'll still have teams importing 19 year olds that are just as good as the currant 20 year olds.

Why not just fix what needs to be fixed? The import rule.

Why not limit two 20 year olds to import cards? And make a rule that says you can only have a maximum of two ex CHL players who've played x number of games in the CHL?

What does everyone think about that? :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Yeah, something like that would be a good idea, Port. There should be caps on the number of players teams can carry at each age group, but particularly on the number of ex-major junior 20-year-olds. Consider this. If my count is correct, the Corvairs could ice two full lines of OHL vets (all but one being a 1995 b-y) that would compete gamely against the average two lines of most OHL teams. By name the 1995 OHL veteran Fs are: Pawley, Hore, Seguin, Hill, Maksimovitch (the only 1996), Fitzmorris, Graham, and D Brown (the latter waiting in the wings in Hagersville just in case there are injuries/suspensions on the main squad). Add to that mix the giant 1995 OHL veteran d-men Zottl and Bauman, who together would make the biggest defence pairing in the league on a pound-for-pound basis. Four of these 10 lads are southwestern Ontario boys by birth. Looked at from this perspective, Caledonia is not really a Jr B team at all, which is precisely what rankles the snot out of people who don't like the Corvairs. And this is why people say Caledonia isn't really developing players; what they're doing is buying proven 20-year-old talent and providing these guys with a spring-board to play semi-pro. Yes, the Corsairs are playing within the rules, and yes who can fault them for building/buying such a great team? You can't argue with success, can you? There's nothing stopping everyone else (like Pelham, Lambton or St Marys...) from doing the same thing, right?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Qwerty wrote:Yeah, something like that would be a good idea, Port. There should be caps on the number of players teams can carry at each age group, but particularly on the number of ex-major junior 20-year-olds. Consider this. If my count is correct, the Corvairs could ice two full lines of OHL vets (all but one being a 1995 b-y) that would compete gamely against the average two lines of most OHL teams. By name the 1995 OHL veteran Fs are: Pawley, Hore, Seguin, Hill, Maksimovitch (the only 1996), Fitzmorris, Graham, and D Brown (the latter waiting in the wings in Hagersville just in case there are injuries/suspensions on the main squad). Add to that mix the giant 1995 OHL veteran d-men Zottl and Bauman, who together would make the biggest defence pairing in the league on a pound-for-pound basis. Four of these 10 lads are southwestern Ontario boys by birth. Looked at from this perspective, Caledonia is not really a Jr B team at all, which is precisely what rankles the snot out of people who don't like the Corvairs. And this is why people say Caledonia isn't really developing players; what they're doing is buying proven 20-year-old talent and providing these guys with a spring-board to play semi-pro. Yes, the Corsairs are playing within the rules, and yes who can fault them for building/buying such a great team? You can't argue with success, can you? There's nothing stopping everyone else (like Pelham, Lambton or St Marys...) from doing the same thing, right?
I understand why people are upset. But to be fair they've only went this far in this season. I think the reason is they really want to make history with a third straight Sutherland Cup. They always find great players, but usually they are mixed with a fair number of younger players, some of whom have been very talented.

Pawley, Seguin, Hill, Maksimovitch, and Zottl could play on a teams bottom lines within the OHL for sure. But I don't think Hore, Fitzmorris or Bauman would be able to hold a roster spot at that level anymore. But I do see your example, that's a lot of ex CHL talent on one team.

But I'd be surprised to see them go that all in next year. I think it's all about getting that record this year, and I don't blame them. It's not often a team has a chance to make league history. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

I'm only familiar with a few of the players so won't dispute your assessment of where they'd fit on an OHL roster, and obviously they're all in B for a reason. It's clearly very attractive to play in Caledonia for reasons including being mentored by a former NHLer who has a great track record (according to what I've read on this forum) for graduating players on to higher leagues. Besides the thrill of a three-peat, do you think this is in any way about Bullard landing an OHL gig? Seems like a no-brainer that that may be an underlying motivation here for stacking the team. A final thing I will add, that I've said elsewhere on this forum: it will be an embarrassment if Caledonia doesn't win the Suthie with the crew they've assembled here. If they get on the ropes in the play-offs, I also shudder to think of the violence that may unfold given the penalty minutes the Corvairs have already racked up. That video of Zotti stepping on the Welland kid (a 1998!!) isn't pretty. I see that the intentionality of the incident has been called into question by many on this forum, but you can't dispute that there was a "step" and that Crowder was bleeding from the head when he got up. 11 games suggests someone in the league office saw smoke and called in a fire -- a good call from what I see in that video.
BRIAN RIZZETTO

Post by BRIAN RIZZETTO »

well Qwerty you've managed to get me to post...i am BRIAN RIZZETTO and i'm the general manager of the caledonia corvairs-i'd like to comment on your post of nick zottl and his stepping on wellands crowder.firstly both nick and our entire wish the best for the crowder boy...the incident was an accident,and on feb 16th the oha appeal board will here the case
they will here that two 6'5' players wrestled behind our net,that zottl never even took off his gloves,and if fact the boy banged his head on the ice when they both fell to the ice,upon hearing this nick zottl stopped fighting with the prone crowder
they will hear/see that the linesman in the middle proceeded to pull quite aggressively nick zottl over crowder,and with no tie downs on our sweater the jersey was half way up zottl's face-nick zottl accidentally stepped down on crowder as he was trying to get his footing
the heavily penalized corvairs were given no instigator/aggressor on this play(and two quality refs were right there watching it.)
i read this forum but never post,i think there is a lot of passion on this site-and although i think some get on here with half a story,and half a brain-you Qwerty deserve to here what we interpid this very unfortunate event as
(2) two things you need to know i am BRIAN RIZZETTO who will not stand behind a code name,and secondly Qwerty if i thought nick zottl did this on purpose...he'd be done as a corvair
nick zottl feels terrible about what happened,and so do i
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

BRIAN RIZZETTO wrote:well Qwerty you've managed to get me to post...i am BRIAN RIZZETTO and i'm the general manager of the caledonia corvairs-i'd like to comment on your post of nick zottl and his stepping on wellands crowder.firstly both nick and our entire wish the best for the crowder boy...the incident was an accident,and on feb 16th the oha appeal board will here the case
they will here that two 6'5' players wrestled behind our net,that zottl never even took off his gloves,and if fact the boy banged his head on the ice when they both fell to the ice,upon hearing this nick zottl stopped fighting with the prone crowder
they will hear/see that the linesman in the middle proceeded to pull quite aggressively nick zottl over crowder,and with no tie downs on our sweater the jersey was half way up zottl's face-nick zottl accidentally stepped down on crowder as he was trying to get his footing
the heavily penalized corvairs were given no instigator/aggressor on this play(and two quality refs were right there watching it.)
i read this forum but never post,i think there is a lot of passion on this site-and although i think some get on here with half a story,and half a brain-you Qwerty deserve to here what we interpid this very unfortunate event as
(2) two things you need to know i am BRIAN RIZZETTO who will not stand behind a code name,and secondly Qwerty if i thought nick zottl did this on purpose...he'd be done as a corvair
nick zottl feels terrible about what happened,and so do i
Very nice to read a post from you. You do a lot of great things for junior hockey. Best wishes this season. :)
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Thanks for the post, Brian. I appreciate and respect your providing the extra information and defending your player. There's no half-brain commenting going on here. Any reasonable person watching the video, seeing the outcome/injury, and observing an 11-game suspension is going to pause and wonder what was really going on. Crowder seemed to make a real effort to avoid hitting your tender and successfully leapt over him, so it's fuzzy what lead to the scrap in the first place. No one likes to see kids going off the ice with blood running out of their heads...
BRIAN RIZZETTO

Post by BRIAN RIZZETTO »

Qwerty you are 100 percent right crowder did an excellent job trying to avoid our goalie,and I was pissed off that zottl tangled with him over this-BUT!!!-from a young age good rearguards are taught/told to protect your goalies-nick zottl is a good rearguard,and in his mind thought our goalie was wronged...don't forget it's a split second decisson made.what happened is terrible,but their was no intent on zottl's part to injure,if there was he would of pounded on crowder(as he had position A on the boy)meaning he was on top of him-and at 6'5" 235 pounds,he'd of been tough to get get off of...agree
in Caledonia you play hard for 60 minutes,or you may find yourself eating popcorn in the stands the next night,you take no quarter..and you give no quarter- my last words on this are as follows-the incident was terrible,and could of been tragic-but it 100 percent an accident with no intent
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Quote taken from recent story published in Cambridge Times: GOJHL may restrict number of 20-year-old players

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-sto ... d-players/

"The Caledonia Corvairs of the Golden Horseshoe Conference came under fire this season by GOJHL fans on social media for signing 16, 20-year-olds to their 23-player roster, some with varying degrees of Ontario Hockey League experience. While that isn’t against GOJHL rules, the league is considered a development loop for the Canadian Hockey League (CHL), the Ontario Junior A Hockey League, and U.S. and Canadian universities, and signing 20 year olds doesn’t mesh with that aim."

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, Caledonia... it tolls for thee.
HockeyTalk21

Post by HockeyTalk21 »

Qwerty wrote:Quote taken from recent story published in Cambridge Times: GOJHL may restrict number of 20-year-old players

"The Caledonia Corvairs of the Golden Horseshoe Conference came under fire this season by GOJHL fans on social media for signing 16, 20-year-olds to their 23-player roster, some with varying degrees of Ontario Hockey League experience. While that isn’t against GOJHL rules, the league is considered a development loop for the Canadian Hockey League (CHL), the Ontario Junior A Hockey League, and U.S. and Canadian universities, and signing 20 year olds doesn’t mesh with that aim."

Is this called the Caledonia rule? Lol. I still feel they will ice a team that will still be better then most teams.
BRIAN RIZZETTO

Post by BRIAN RIZZETTO »

Qwerty there you go again tweaking my interest to respond,i guess the sound of bells tolling will do that to a guy...I can assure you these league changes are very flattering to our organization and myself,and are already being called the CALEDONIA RULES. I can assure you just as sure as you hide behind the name Qwerty,that these proposed changes will make Corvair Nation just as stong as we'll choose to be...believe that.
The wind may have changed,but the SS CORVAIR ship will sail in the new direction with an ardent desire to build a team that FEARS NONE...BUT WILL RESPECT ALL.
If any of the gutless wonders on this forum knew the real story they would know that I proposed a limit of 3 or 4 20year olds starting next year (per team) I also had a lot of other great ideas for league parity that were not listened too.I've always said our organization were always everyones buddies/pals when we hung near the bottom of the league,but now that we've got to the top...we are not so well liked.
But...were always talked about and seem to be constantly on peoples minds...which is great(liked??-no respected?? or admired??)we hope so- Being the GM of Caledonia is a physical,and emotional grind...so I thank people like you and others on this forum that motivate me to build the best team possible....whatever the rules are. HOPE TO BE PLAYING IN MAY AGAIN...see you at the rink
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

BRIAN RIZZETTO wrote:If any of the gutless wonders on this forum knew the real story they would know that I proposed a limit of 3 or 4 20year olds starting next year (per team) I also had a lot of other great ideas for league parity that were not listened too.
I've been told this by a few people in various rinks around the Midwest.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Mr. Rizetto, well done if you're proposing ideas to improve league parity. You should be applauded for that given the lack of parity in the Shoe especially, but also to some lesser extent in the other two divisions. 20yrolds are far from being the only issue preventing parity in the league. I get that, and so does everyone. It's a hard thing to fix with so many variables. The main point that I hope you and the league consider, however, is that Jr B should not be an exit strategy for seasoned CHL players, especially 20 year olds. Yes, you've built your team within the rules and done one hell of a job doing it. Congrats. However, the approach runs counter to the sprit and aims of a what a "development" league should be about. On this point we disagree, but the Cambridge Times article suggests there are others in the league office that may share my (and others') point of view. Guess we'll maybe find out on Friday. Depending on which way it goes, the Corvairs may go down in GO history as the first team ever to 3-peat -- and the last team ever to win the Suthie with a roster packed full of CHL overagers.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

BRIAN RIZZETTO wrote:Qwerty there you go again tweaking my interest to respond,i guess the sound of bells tolling will do that to a guy...I can assure you these league changes are very flattering to our organization and myself,and are already being called the CALEDONIA RULES. I can assure you just as sure as you hide behind the name Qwerty,that these proposed changes will make Corvair Nation just as stong as we'll choose to be...believe that.
The wind may have changed,but the SS CORVAIR ship will sail in the new direction with an ardent desire to build a team that FEARS NONE...BUT WILL RESPECT ALL.
If any of the gutless wonders on this forum knew the real story they would know that I proposed a limit of 3 or 4 20year olds starting next year (per team) I also had a lot of other great ideas for league parity that were not listened too.I've always said our organization were always everyones buddies/pals when we hung near the bottom of the league,but now that we've got to the top...we are not so well liked.
But...were always talked about and seem to be constantly on peoples minds...which is great(liked??-no respected?? or admired??)we hope so- Being the GM of Caledonia is a physical,and emotional grind...so I thank people like you and others on this forum that motivate me to build the best team possible....whatever the rules are. HOPE TO BE PLAYING IN MAY AGAIN...see you at the rink
Another great post! Glad to see you coming here to clear things up. I feel this is a witch hunt by the league. :)
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Qwerty wrote:Quote taken from recent story published in Cambridge Times: GOJHL may restrict number of 20-year-old players

I have a better idea at the start of every Caledonia game play Metallica's" For Whom the Bell Tolls"
(For there oppositions of course)

Stiffened wounds test their pride
Men of five, still alive
Through the raging glow
Gone insane from the pain
That they surely know
FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

couldn't their be another part to the rule something like the jr.c's overage rule. If a player who is 19 was with your team in December then they would be eligible to return for their 20 year old season. Therefore they don't count towards the 3 or 4 that you are allowed to have for the first season as a 20 year old In the league. I disagree with the limit because you are taking a year of hockey at a higher level away from these players. If you make it that they Are allowed to be with the team when their 19 and 20 I think you will attract stronger players and make the league better
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Cali vairs! wrote:couldn't their be another part to the rule something like the jr.c's overage rule. If a player who is 19 was with your team in December then they would be eligible to return for their 20 year old season. Therefore they don't count towards the 3 or 4 that you are allowed to have for the first season as a 20 year old In the league. I disagree with the limit because you are taking a year of hockey at a higher level away from these players. If you make it that they Are allowed to be with the team when their 19 and 20 I think you will attract stronger players and make the league better
They have limits on overagers in the OHL. Should they start letting unlimited of those because they are "taking away a year of hockey a higher level"?

Hell, how about we start making junior hockey have no age limits. Maybe I could get my 30 year old butt in shape and play.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

So are u suggesting that the 20 year olds now go to jr c teams. Taking another league away from me c players. Their so too many reprecastions of limiting it. These players need a place to play aswell. I get it should be a development league but by having a lot of 20 year olds in the league it makes it more competitive. Look at Cali and St.kitts. 2 very strong teams that have a lot of 20 year olds. Do they try to win the league with having development still in their system. They use jr.c too develop their players and then bring them up when the time is right to
Have them in the league. Go watch some of the jr. C teams. A lot of great kids about to come up to the level.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

It does not matter to Caledonia what rule changes they do.
With one of the best ownership, GM and coaching staffs in the league.
They will still have one of the better or best teams in the league next year.
This effects a lot of teams not just Caledonia.They better be careful here on what they decide.

Chunk Williams sounds to me he's just justifying his job.
Keith Stewart still hurting over the year Cambridge had.
Keith, Corey Pawley was not nominated for MVP.
Keith, Corny Pawley played 155 games in the OHL.
And played 99 games in the GOJHL that's more JR.B games than a lot of guys.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Cali vairs! wrote:So are u suggesting that the 20 year olds now go to jr c teams. Taking another league away from me c players. Their so too many reprecastions of limiting it. These players need a place to play aswell. I get it should be a development league but by having a lot of 20 year olds in the league it makes it more competitive. Look at Cali and St.kitts. 2 very strong teams that have a lot of 20 year olds. Do they try to win the league with having development still in their system. They use jr.c too develop their players and then bring them up when the time is right to
Have them in the league. Go watch some of the jr. C teams. A lot of great kids about to come up to the level.
I watch a ton of Junior C. I don't like that it's filled with 20 and even 21 year olds, specifically in certain loops.

I don't call it "development" when a player goes and plays in the OHL and then comes back to Jr. B or C essentially to "win". (And you can argue those 20 year olds are taking away ice and development time from the younger guys with OHL/NCAA futures) The AHL - the premier development league for the NHL and it's prospects - has a limit on "veterans". Because yes, veterans are great for development of the young players. But it's not a development team when it's a bunch of 36 year old has-been NHL'ers.

his isn't me being salty because my team sucks - my GOJHL team of choice won in 2006 and 2007.

I just prefer to go to Junior B (and Junior C) to see the young guys who eventually move onto the O or NCAA. This year I loved watching Kyle Heitzner, Nate Schnarr, Kyle Walker, Scott Del Zotto, etc. And I do love watching guys who become top end players in our league at 17, 18, 19... like Ethan Skinner, Adam Kawalec, Brady Anderson and Jamie Huber.

I keep coming back to the best junior (non-major junior) in the country - the BCHL, AJHL, etc. And they promote young players looking for D1 scholarships. If the GOJHL is ever going to join the ranks of Junior A - which it wants to, then there has to be a mentality change.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

BRIAN RIZZETTO wrote:Qwerty there you go again tweaking my interest to respond,i guess the sound of bells tolling will do that to a guy...I can assure you these league changes are very flattering to our organization and myself,and are already being called the CALEDONIA RULES. I can assure you just as sure as you hide behind the name Qwerty,that these proposed changes will make Corvair Nation just as stong as we'll choose to be...believe that.
Don't know what or who you mean by gutless wonders on this forum.
There's only a few regulars that put anything on this forum.
And there's only a couple that like to talk about Caledonia's 20 year olds and players from the OHL.
And Qwerty is one of them.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Caledonia Fan wrote:It does not matter to Caledonia what rule changes they do.
With one of the best ownership, GM and coaching staffs in the league.
They will still have one of the better or best teams in the league next year.
This effects a lot of teams not just Caledonia.They better be careful here on what they decide.
100% I believe Caledonia and Brian could build one hell of a team if they focused on 16-18 year olds. He's a smart ass hockey man.

So are the GMs in other places. Keith built a great program in Elmira the past umpteen years before coming to Cambridge and inheriting the sh** Hodson left him with (mostly meat heads).

I think a big part of this whole initiative will help refocus the league back on development of young players while still trying to build competitive hockey teams. Like I said above, the GOJHL wants to join the ranks of the OJ and become a Junior A loop in Ontario. Moving away from being a place for guys to just come back to to play a year and becoming a place to springboard players to the O and NCAA D1 has to be their focus and priority.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Qwerty wrote:Mr. Rizetto, well done if you're proposing ideas to improve league parity. You should be applauded for that given the lack of parity in the Shoe especially, but also to some lesser extent in the other two divisions. 20yrolds are far from being the only issue preventing parity in the league. I get that, and so does everyone. It's a hard thing to fix with so many variables. The main point that I hope you and the league consider, however, is that Jr B should not be an exit strategy for seasoned CHL players, especially 20 year olds. Yes, you've built your team within the rules and done one hell of a job doing it. Congrats. However, the approach runs counter to the sprit and aims of a what a "development" league should be about. On this point we disagree, but the Cambridge Times article suggests there are others in the league office that may share my (and others') point of view. Guess we'll maybe find out on Friday. Depending on which way it goes, the Corvairs may go down in GO history as the first team ever to 3-peat -- and the last team ever to win the Suthie with a roster packed full of CHL overagers.
I don't think there's that much lack of parity in the Shoe.
Just take away Pelham.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Cali vairs! wrote:So are u suggesting that the 20 year olds now go to jr c teams. Taking another league away from me c players. Their so too many reprecastions of limiting it. These players need a place to play aswell. I get it should be a development league but by having a lot of 20 year olds in the league it makes it more competitive. Look at Cali and St.kitts. 2 very strong teams that have a lot of 20 year olds. Do they try to win the league with having development still in their system. They use jr.c too develop their players and then bring them up when the time is right to
I watch a ton of Junior C. I don't like that it's filled with 20 and even 21 year olds, specifically in certain loops.

I don't call it "development" when a player goes and plays in the OHL and then comes back to Jr. B or C essentially to "win". (And you can argue those 20 year olds are taking away ice and development time from the younger guys with OHL/NCAA futures) The AHL - the premier development league for the NHL and it's prospects - has a limit on "veterans". Because yes, veterans are great for development of the young players. But it's not a development team when it's a bunch of 36 year old has-been NHL'ers.

his isn't me being salty because my team sucks - my GOJHL team of choice won in 2006 and 2007.

I just prefer to go to Junior B (and Junior C) to see the young guys who eventually move onto the O or NCAA. This year I loved watching Kyle Heitzner, Nate Schnarr, Kyle Walker, Scott Del Zotto, etc. And I do love watching guys who become top end players in our league at 17, 18, 19... like Ethan Skinner, Adam Kawalec, Brady Anderson and Jamie Huber.

I keep coming back to the best junior (non-major junior) in the country - the BCHL, AJHL, etc. And they promote young players looking for D1 scholarships. If the GOJHL is ever going to join the ranks of Junior A - which it wants to, then there has to be a mentality change.
With the NHL talking about waiting to draft kids when they're 19, I see no reason why a lot of these 20 year olds aren't still developing.

I think this league is playing too many(head) games. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just my opinion. :)

And no doubt they can build great team's with younger players. Caledonia's done that before. I see this as being the 'Caledonia' rule. Well Caledonia will simply load up on 17-19 year olds that are extremely talented.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Isn't it strange that this type of conversation never happens in the OJHL. Ever wonder why they don't, as a rule, load up with 20 year old, ex OHL players. The reason of course is that they truly are a developing league. Saying you are and actually doing it is two completely different things. :smt083
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

I Luv Hackey and Been There get it. Caledonia Fan, well, we get you, too, my friend. Your forum name says it all. Make no mistake. The writing is on the wall. The days are numbered for stacking Jr B teams with 20yrold CHL overagers. The GO needs to become more of what it was intended to be -- a development league for players trying to advance to major Jr or NCAA/CIS hockey.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:With the NHL talking about waiting to draft kids when they're 19, I see no reason why a lot of these 20 year olds aren't still developing.

I think this league is playing too many(head) games. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just my opinion. :)

And no doubt they can build great team's with younger players. Caledonia's done that before. I see this as being the 'Caledonia' rule. Well Caledonia will simply load up on 17-19 year olds that are extremely talented.
Because 20 year old former OHL'ers ARE NOT developing in Junior B. They're playing inferior talent to what they were and putting up huge points. If they move on, they're moving to CIS. Nothing against CIS but it's not exactly the same as working towards a CHL or NCAA career.

D1 teams who come up and take a good solid look, come to look at 16, 17 and 18 year olds, mostly. And the 20 year olds they are looking at are long term players in our league, not guys who couldn't hack it in the CHL.

This league used to be a direct line to NCAA schools and somewhere along the line there was a slight shift towards CHL guys, while we watched the OJHL and other leagues become the premier place in the province for aspiring college hockey players. The league hired the new commissioner to move back to what it used to be for a reason.

This vote/rule is an extension of that mandate.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Bingo. ILuvHackey nailed it. I hope the league is listening to this kind of logic when the try to sort out the 20yrold rules tomorrow. Cap the number of CHL vets who can play, especially the 20yrold variety, or ban them all together.