Refs Picking on Caledonia?

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

hurricane73

Refs Picking on Caledonia?

Post by hurricane73 »

I have cheered for the Corvairs right to the Sutherland Cup for the last two cheers, never missing a Caledonia home game. And I'm a St. Catharines fan. However to those experts who suggest that opposing players are out `to get' Caledonia players, and the refs are biased against Caledonia, is simply not true. Sure, there may me some instances where the Corvairs got jobbed by the refs but no more than any other team. In fact the Corvairs generally deserve the penalties they get and even get away with obvious violations and attempts to incite while the referees look the other way.

In Caledonia, the Corvairs and visitors change lines at benches that have gates a few feet away. Caledonia goes out of their way to skate as close to the opposition's bench as they can during joint line changes and uses foul language, sticks, elbows and bumps to goad the unsuspecting opposition players. The referees stand within a few feet and generally look the other way and do nothing. The Caledonia `coach' does nothing to correct this situation either.

The referees also seem to look the other way when elbows to the head are added to an otherwise clean check along the boards. The Corvairs are also exceptionally well trained to finish checks against opposing puck handlers who have already passed the puck to another player. They try to obliterate at full speed (and sometimes injure) unsuspecting players who have momentarily let up after passing the puck. Within the rules? Yes! Necessary? No! The Corvairs also send some of their `expendable' players to pound on the skill or key players on other teams (always just marginally within the rules).

As we all know, a few years ago referees were ordered to take a `no nonsense' approach to all infractions be they verbal or `head contact' , even extremely minor violation during warm-ups. In my opinion, the referees are way over doing it with penalty calls and should let the kids play hockey. The Corvairs do receive some cheap and unfair calls by the referees, but they are not treated any differently than other teams. Those who think they are treated differently are looking for excuses for a team that certainly doesn't need any.

The Corvairs are taught, and expected by their `coach', to play very aggressive hockey. The penalties they receive are a direct result of their style of play and not because they are being`picked on' by the referees.
Caledonia Fan

Re: Refs Picking on Caledonia?

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Not talking about refs picking on Caledonia. Talking about Mike Bolibruck. Everyone agree's he's a control freak.
As far as your post you got Caledonia issues. Your a St Catherines fan but the last two year's you said you cheered Corvairs right to the Sutherland Cup. You do know we played St Catherines in the final ( 2014). I don't believe you been to any Caledonia game.If you been to game you know THERE'S NO EXPENDABLE PLAYERS POUND ON THE SKULLS OF KEY PLAYERS. Caledonia runs 4 lines all game long if you been to a game you would know this. Like I said before you got Caledonia issues. Your just another upset St Catherines fan cutting down Caledonia.Can I borrow your post and change the name Caledonia and put in St Catherines.
drafty

Post by drafty »

Just saw Caledonia for the first time this year at the game in the Falls last night. I was expecting to see a slick machine and, to a certain extent, that is what they are. But the lingering impression that I had all game is that this is a bully team. As hurricane73 said, they play an extremely aggressive, in-your-face style and, like the schoolyard bully, when things didn't go their way, they exploded, physically and verbally, incurring penalty after penalty, every one deserved. The sad thing is, they played a great deal of the game shorthanded, ended the game with only about 12 players, and still won, so obviously have an abundance of talent and skill. I don't understand why they play that style of game, when they could be just as dominant without it.
hurricane73

Post by hurricane73 »

For the record to Caledonia Fan, I've seen Caledonia play eight games this year including three in their arena and I stand by what I said and I'm sure there are many others that agree with me. And for the record, I raised this topic not because of the Bolibruk issue but in response to a common thread about the refs being biased against Caledonia that has been mentioned in several articles before. It's time to realize that all the complaining is just a smoke screen to cover up for the aggressive and somewhat unsportsman-like tactics employed by Caledonia. Caledonia is by far the most physical and dominant team in Jr. B hockey and other teams are not going incite them, save for the odd loose canon, in fear of getting re-paid many times over. Enough about the refs, enjoy the game.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

hurricane73 wrote:I have cheered for the Corvairs right to the Sutherland Cup for the last two cheers, never missing a Caledonia home game. And I'm a St. Catharines fan. However to those experts who suggest that opposing players are out `to get' Caledonia players, and the refs are biased against Caledonia, is simply not true. Sure, there may me some instances where the Corvairs got jobbed by the refs but no more than any other team. In fact the Corvairs generally deserve the penalties they get and even get away with obvious violations and attempts to incite while the referees look the other way.

In Caledonia, the Corvairs and visitors change lines at benches that have gates a few feet away. Caledonia goes out of their way to skate as close to the opposition's bench as they can during joint line changes and uses foul language, sticks, elbows and bumps to goad the unsuspecting opposition players. The referees stand within a few feet and generally look the other way and do nothing. The Caledonia `coach' does nothing to correct this situation either.

The referees also seem to look the other way when elbows to the head are added to an otherwise clean check along the boards. The Corvairs are also exceptionally well trained to finish checks against opposing puck handlers who have already passed the puck to another player. They try to obliterate at full speed (and sometimes injure) unsuspecting players who have momentarily let up after passing the puck. Within the rules? Yes! Necessary? No! The Corvairs also send some of their `expendable' players to pound on the skill or key players on other teams (always just marginally within the rules).

As we all know, a few years ago referees were ordered to take a `no nonsense' approach to all infractions be they verbal or `head contact' , even extremely minor violation during warm-ups. In my opinion, the referees are way over doing it with penalty calls and should let the kids play hockey. The Corvairs do receive some cheap and unfair calls by the referees, but they are not treated any differently than other teams. Those who think they are treated differently are looking for excuses for a team that certainly doesn't need any.

The Corvairs are taught, and expected by their `coach', to play very aggressive hockey. The penalties they receive are a direct result of their style of play and not because they are being`picked on' by the referees.
Do they take many deserved penalties? You bet, just like everyone else. But the problem is, you know how players find a flow to the game, such as what's a call and what isn't. Well it always seems Caledonia has a set of rules, while the opposition has another. It's probably because the refs feel Caledonia is already at an advantage. But that doesn't mean it's the right way to call the game.

The thing that gets me going is when there's a nice flow, then the opposition gets away with a hard slash and cross check. No big deal, that's how we keep the game flowing. But then I'll see a Caledonia player do the same thing and the ref makes the call. That isn't right.

I believe the officials feel bad for opposing teams to some degree. They see how mad and frustrated they're getting so they hesitate on making calls that should be made at times. That's where half of those abuse of officials calls come from. Something won't be called, or two or three things won't get called, then...Boom! Can't expect the players to be able to accept that. Bullard lets the officials hear it when things are getting bad too.

Yes they are a fast paced team and they finish their checks hard. But it is necessary. It's how they wear their opponents down. It's how they get them off of their games. This isn't Senior A hockey. It's supposed to be physical. Just because they play their game plan very well, that shouldn't make them a target. But yes I understand that playing a style like that will come with penalties. Sometimes kids get carried away and hit the head, slash the wrist, ect. And that should be called for sure. The issue is, it doesn't get called on the opposition nearly as much.

I also agree that Caledonia has their talkers, just like the other teams do. Caledonia's style is to play hard, and not let the opposition get comfortable.

Nice to read another angle though. Thanks for posting. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

hurricane73 wrote:For the record to Caledonia Fan, I've seen Caledonia play eight games this year including three in their arena and I stand by what I said and I'm sure there are many others that agree with me. And for the record, I raised this topic not because of the Bolibruk issue but in response to a common thread about the refs being biased against Caledonia that has been mentioned in several articles before. It's time to realize that all the complaining is just a smoke screen to cover up for the aggressive and somewhat unsportsman-like tactics employed by Caledonia. Caledonia is by far the most physical and dominant team in Jr. B hockey and other teams are not going incite them, save for the odd loose canon, in fear of getting re-paid many times over. Enough about the refs, enjoy the game.
It's easy to only see one team. What gets them going like that? Maybe all the uncalled slashing, head checks, cross checks, etc.

All I'm asking is for the refs to call it both ways. If a slash in the corner is ok for Niagara Falls, then it sholud be ok for Caledonia too. Agree?

Sure, they deserve the 10's they get. That's not my point. It's the reason they're taking them. They're forced to start yelling at the refs. It's that or risk injury.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
hurricane73

Post by hurricane73 »

Thanks for your objective comments Port. I agree with everything you say, particularly the frustration the players feel with incompetent, inconsistent and inexplicable (no tolerance) calls made by the referees. Give the game back to the players. Caledonia has reason to be frustrated with the referees as do all the other teams.
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Some time has a player and maybe has a team you get penalties on reputation like some times you get non calls on a player or a team. But I do agree the refs need to improve in this league.
OHAHockeyFan

Post by OHAHockeyFan »

Caledonia also has 5th MOST Powerplay opportunities in the league (and most in GHC)

Maybe it's not that the refs pick on them so much as they are involved in dirty games both ways.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

OHAHockeyFan wrote:Caledonia also has 5th MOST Powerplay opportunities in the league (and most in GHC)

Maybe it's not that the refs pick on them so much as they are involved in dirty games both ways.
Good post.Never thought of it that way.
Just wondering were Leamington, Chatham and Kitchener are on the powerplay opportunities list.
OHAHockeyFan

Post by OHAHockeyFan »

Times on PP (TOP 10)
http://gojhl-cms.stats.pointstreak.com/ ... sortby=adv

Niagara Falls
Listowel
Kitchener
Cambridge
Caledonia (they're #2 in GHC - NF #1 my bad)
Fort Erie
Stratford
Ancaster
Guelph
Brampton

Times on PK (TOP 10)
http://gojhl-cms.stats.pointstreak.com/ ... sortby=tsh

Caledonia
Brampton
Cambridge
Kitchener
Niagara Falls
Leamington
Thorold
Chatham
Pelham
Guelph
LaSalle

Leamington has fourth LEAST powerplays. Chatham sixth LEAST. If anything, they get picked on
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Man that's good, GREAT FIND.
Never looked at it that way. I always look at the PIM.
I always thought the three conference leaders where getting picked on.(while one is)
Hats off to Leamington there still first in there conference and have the best GA in the GOJHL.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Its hard to really compare though because one night you can get a ref who lets them play and makes no calls then the next night you get Bolibruck and you get a game sheet like Fridays. Also pointstreak for some reason counts 10 minute misconducts as powerplays so if teams arent entering powerplay numbers manually (which some dont) then its not accurate at all.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GOJHLfan1 wrote:. Also pointstreak for some reason counts 10 minute misconducts as powerplays so if teams arent entering powerplay numbers manually (which some dont) then its not accurate at all.
I wish pointstreak would fix that. It screws up the reporters when they do their articles too.
Blades

Post by Blades »

The mysterious 10 minute misconducts as power play opportunities ... yes, that has been a problem for years. You'd think a company that handles multiple leagues in hockey (and other sports) would have been told of this problem and corrected it. NOPE. I think it's pretty much been this way since the West started using Pointsteak about 10 years ago.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic