Moderator: RocketGirl

RocketGirl

Triemstra wins OHA's Donald Sanderson Award

Post by RocketGirl »

This is from the Hamilton Spectator.

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/565 ... son-award/

Triemstra wins OHA’s Don Sanderson Award
Special to The Hamilton Spectator,Glen Cuthbert

Ancaster Avalanche defenceman Lucas Triemstra brought home plenty of hardware this season, but his most recent accomplishment, the Ontario Hockey Association's Don Sanderson Award, stands out from the others.

"I was quite pleased with this one in particular, because it involved multiple leagues within the OHA, rather than just one conference in Jr. B," Triemstra said.

Named after former Whitby Dunlops defenceman Don Sanderson, who passed away in 2009 after hitting his head on the ice during a fight, the award is presented by the OHA to the player who "best exemplifies the four D's that were evident in Don's life: Dedication, Desire, Discipline, and Deportment (attitude)."

Triemstra was unaware of the four D's during the season, but said now that he knows about them, he will strive to consciously apply them to his life.

"I feel that following these four D's is a great way to find balance. Resorting back to them in times of turmoil can help anyone battle through whatever circumstances life presents them with, far beyond the parameters of an ice rink."

The Stoney Creek native worked hard to balance several different pursuits during the season. In addition to his role as assistant captain of the Avalanche, he also maintained an 80 per cent average as a law student at the University of Western Ontario, and volunteered his time at Villa Italia Retirement Centre. Triemstra said his volunteering helped him keep his priorities straight during the season.

"The retirement home residents really instilled in me that I should cherish every moment on the ice. Hockey at its core is a game meant to be enjoyed, and it's easy to lose sight of that sometimes."

Triemstra was also named Golden Horseshoe Conference Defenceman of the Year, and was awarded the Corporal Tyler Crooks Memorial Award as GHC Player of the Year.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.