Prediction On a Season Start Date

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Letterkenny68

Prediction On a Season Start Date

Post by Letterkenny68 »

With the recent move to a stage 3 for the province but with the expectation that stage 3 will be for an extended period of time what are the predictions for a possible season start date if there actually is a season?
Marcie

Re: Prediction On a Season Start Date

Post by Marcie »

The first challenge is that not all GOJHL areas are in Stage 3. Niagara, Hamilton, Windsor/Essex and Sarnia/Lambton are still in Stage 2. They will get there eventually. We also have a team in the USA to deal with.

The key words in the Stage 3 announcement were "No prolonged or deliberate contact while playing sports." That would certainly rule out hockey.

The province has made it very clear that Ontario will remain in stage 3 until a vaccine is found. That could still take over a year. We might have to prepare ourselves for the fact that there may not be a season this year. Will things change? They possibly could depending on how we come out of this.

Can the OHA and the OHF overrule the premier's Stage 3 to allow hockey with certain safety policies and procedures in place? Don't know. Time will tell. The teams are certainly preparing themselves by signing players and staff and getting the wheels in motion for an upcoming season. Will it happen this fall? Before Christmas? After Christmas?
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Marcie wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:17 pm The first challenge is that not all GOJHL areas are in Stage 3. Niagara, Hamilton, Windsor/Essex and Sarnia/Lambton are still in Stage 2. They will get there eventually. We also have a team in the USA to deal with.

The key words in the Stage 3 announcement were "No prolonged or deliberate contact while playing sports." That would certainly rule out hockey.

The province has made it very clear that Ontario will remain in stage 3 until a vaccine is found. That could still take over a year. We might have to prepare ourselves for the fact that there may not be a season this year. Will things change? They possibly could depending on how we come out of this.

Can the OHA and the OHF overrule the premier's Stage 3 to allow hockey with certain safety policies and procedures in place? Don't know. Time will tell. The teams are certainly preparing themselves by signing players and staff and getting the wheels in motion for an upcoming season. Will it happen this fall? Before Christmas? After Christmas?

There is absolutely NO WAY that HC will overrule what the government is saying. There are a few reasons why they can't. First and foremost, Hockey Canada is a law firm first and a National Hockey organization second. They will not want to assume the liability of going against the government. They would never assume the risk unless the well is beginning to run dry. Plus, they receive funding, many millions of dollars of funding, through the Ministry of Heritage and Sport and Mr. Trudeau has enough problems on his plate to deal with...and I do not mean Covid! Second...even if HC said the hell with these governments and decided to forge ahead...I do not know of too many of these teams who own their own rinks. They will be unable to get municipal ice as municipalities need to be in compliance with the provincial government and NO politician in their right mind will assume the responsibility for this but there are a few who could..and they would expect that an "I am sorry..I made a mistake" would get them through it.
Ron

Post by Ron »

CCHL has announced their season will start October 1
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

They can announce it all they want. But in doing that, and if they don't step on the ice when they say they are...there will be alot of pissed off parents looking to lay a claim. Ice is controlled by municipal governments which takes its direction from the province. Can they go to private ice....absolutely! Whether or not HC would support that, I say unequivocally NO. If I am a private operator...I am hoping they do! Because my ice time has just gone from $200-350/hr up to $500 per hour! But again, liability is the key. HC do not want to assume the liability for anything. Why do you think all the latest board members added in the last 5 years are lawyers! They want to protect their a$$ets!
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

FYI...HC insurance will not cover the Covid-19 crisis. They cannot step on the ice without proper insurance. And I cannot think of one insurer who would be willing to take that risk. Sorry to be the devil's advocate...but these are just the facts.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

In an earlier statement by HC they announced that they were handing over the final word on if and when seasons start to the various provincial governing bodies:

"Currently there are no Hockey Canada-sanctioned activities being conducted, and we are working with our Members on their return-to-hockey plans. After ongoing discussions with the board of directors, our chief medical officer, the 13 Members and public health authorities across the country, it has been determined that the best approach for a return to hockey in Canada is to allow each Member the opportunity to work with authorities in their respective regions to determine when it is safe to return to the ice in areas that fall under their jurisdiction. We expect the timing of each Member’s return to hockey will be different, but will be based on the advice of their government and public health authority."
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

And there you have it! They will not take a chance...and in true HC fashion would rather pass the issue off to the branches and "member partners" in this province rather than get in too deep with it.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I saw this on twitter today (August 5/20) by Casey Kenny radio voice of the Stratford Warriors - I checked in with @GOJHL Commissioner Mark Tuck on the league returning to play. He says they still have 12 teams without ice until September. He says they are working on a "Plan for Return" and they will announce it once completed.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I was told the same thing the other day. There's also 1 health unit, which includes 2 of the teams, that is indefinitely staying in Stage 2, which I'm sure is also affecting the RTP plan.

When the league has a plan, they will share it. Right now, they don't want to give any false hope with a start date and then have to push it back later.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

The league has no plan. Nobody has a plan unless directed by the OHF. Therein lies the problem...member partner weekly board meetings about nothing but Covid...and they cannot make a decision because it rests with the government.

No such thing as false hope. People just want to know something...anything. Hopefully the filtering of information doesn't take as long as it did to change the website. But..if past practice persists...all bets are off on that one!
OutsideLookingIn

Post by OutsideLookingIn »

Looks like JR C has posted a tentative start date of Dec 1st. And nothing but crickets from those steering the ship in Jr B...... shocking
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

OHL is also tentative on December 1st, most leagues in Canada have a clue when they could tentatively start. Part of the issue could be that not all GOJHL rinks are being opened by their respective municipalities. Some minor hockey associations are looking at shutting down until Covid due to a shortage of available ice. I suspect some teams are also very dependent on game attendance to keep player fees at affordable levels. Playing with no fans like the NHL bubble wont be an feasible option.
OutsideLookingIn

Post by OutsideLookingIn »

And there we go! Dec 2nd
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

https://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/sport ... y.html

The league has asked for 30% arena capacities.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

https://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com ... sion=true

Definitely some hurdles to overcome in the Return to Play plans.
Queen of the GOJHL

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

That's the same article I posted.
Queen of the GOJHL

Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Capacity 30% Last Year's Average Attendance
Leamington 2500 750 738 – just 12 fans under their limit - staff and volunteers would put them over

LaSalle 1000 300 404 – they are now allowed 104 less fans than last year’s average

Chatham 2412 724 659 – just 65 fans under their limit

Strathroy 996 299 423 – they are now allowed 124 less fans than last year’s average

St. Thomas 2500 750 387 – well under their limit – can add another 363 fans

London 2000 600 505 – 95 fans under their limit

St. Marys 1300 390 452 – a big year in St. Marys last year – averaged 62 more fans than their limit without staff and volunteers

Sarnia 2302 691 990 – last year averaged 299 more fans than their limit even without staff and volunteers

Komoka 1000 300 306 – averaged 6 more fans than their limit but volunteers and staff would put them well over the limit

So overall we have 5 of the 9 teams in the West (LaSalle, Strathroy, St. Marys, Sarnia, Komoka) who averaged more fans last year than they would be allowed this year with 30% capacity. Others are in jeopardy of going over the limit when staff, volunteers, arena staff, security, concession, etc. are taken into consideration.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Everyone is assuming things will improve, or stay the same. Medical professionals are saying there's a second wave coming that will likely be much worse than the first wave. Ontario's recent rising numbers support that. I'm not trying to be a downer, just being realistic. I'd love to see hockey this season, but it's unlikely.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
OffTheRecord

Post by OffTheRecord »

Even if there is a season, it doesn't sound like there will be many referees.
I'm hearing close to 1/3 of all the OHA officials have requested a one year leave of absence.

Unlike the players and team officials, on-ice officials will not be given a dressing room. Which means they will need to arrive at the rink 20 minutes before puck drop in their full gear, not really allowing them to stretch or properly prepare for the game. No place to retreat to during the intermissions and no place to shower after the game, essentially forcing them to drive home in their sweaty gear.

Not to mention the heightened risk of catching/spreading Covid with the close contact to players on the ice.

At the risk of sounding like a prima donna, I can't say I blame them for not wanting to work under those conditions.
ontariohockey

Post by ontariohockey »

OffTheRecord wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:29 am Even if there is a season, it doesn't sound like there will be many referees.
I'm hearing close to 1/3 of all the OHA officials have requested a one year leave of absence.

Unlike the players and team officials, on-ice officials will not be given a dressing room. Which means they will need to arrive at the rink 20 minutes before puck drop in their full gear, not really allowing them to stretch or properly prepare for the game. No place to retreat to during the intermissions and no place to shower after the game, essentially forcing them to drive home in their sweaty gear.

Not to mention the heightened risk of catching/spreading Covid with the close contact to players on the ice.

At the risk of sounding like a prima donna, I can't say I blame them for not wanting to work under those conditions.
I don't know where you got your information from but I'm sure they are not going to treat the referees/linesman like that.
Allegoryofthecave

Post by Allegoryofthecave »

Stop the insanity. Second wave of CASES or DEATHS. We have also started to increase our testing numbers. All summer long we were at 20 to 23000 test/day and as of last week it doubled to around 40 000. Look at the deaths. Stop spreading fear. Therapeutics and best practices are much better now.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

1 step forward... 3 steps back!

Be prepared... HC has this as a two year project. They WILL not be stepping on the ice in regular format until there is a vaccine... That could take anywhere from 2-4 years
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Due to COVID-19 Welland takes 1-year leave of absence.
Hockeyfan999

Post by Hockeyfan999 »

Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of a season?
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Falcons, Canucks scrimmages go well
By Bill Potrecz

The St. Catharines Falcons and Niagara Falls Canucks played a pair of non-contact scrimmages Friday and Sunday.

No contact, no problem.

The St. Catharines Falcons and Niagara Falls Canucks squared off in a pair of non-contact scrimmages Friday and Sunday and Falcons coach Tyler Bielby came away impressed.

“They missed the memo on it not being a regular season game and that we’re in the middle of a pandemic,” Bielby said. “These guys want to play hockey. They’re preparing the same way before a game and you can see it at the competitive level as well.

“The contact isn’t there but the compete level is. The chirping is there, the will to succeed is there. There were lots of celebrations on the goals. Both teams are trying to find some piece of normalcy and I think we could see that.”

Teams have been practising for about six weeks and recently were given the go-ahead to play non-contact scrimmages. No fans are permitted and only 50 total participants are allowed in the arena.

“I was very curious to see how that would translate into a game setting and the nicest thing to see is these young guys are a special talent,” Bielby said.

The Falcons dressed 10 forwards, six defencemen and two goaltenders for both games, Friday at the Gale Centre in Niagara Falls and Sunday at Jack Gatecliff Arena in St. Catharines.

Friday’s game ended in a 3-3 tie while the Falcons prevailed 5-4 Sunday.

The Pelham Panthers and Fort Erie Meteors also played Sunday in Pelham and skated to a 3-3 tie.

Bielby wasn’t quite sure what to expect heading into the games.

“I think as a coach going into the game Friday with the no contact piece that we were trying to coach accordingly but until we got to witness exactly what it looks like we didn’t really have an idea until you can actually see it,” he said. “The biggest surprise was how quickly the game turned. It was very fast and very difficult on the defenceman, in particular.”

Bielby said the games are useful as a tool to evaluate the players, even without contact.

“Yes, absolutely. From the defensive side of the puck, how our defenceman move up the ice and close gaps and being able to play these one-on-ones without contact, there is some evaluating. It really pushed their foot speed and their agility and you get to see it in a setting like this.”

Bielby was particularly impressed with three of his young forwards — Cameron Lowe, Tai York and Michael Stranges. Lowe is a draft pick of the Erie Otters while York was selected by the Barrie Colts. Stranges scored a pair of goals in Sunday’s win.

“Lowe, York and Stranges made it a point to stand out over these first two games,” Bielby said. “York and Lowe are drafted for a reason. They are smart hockey players who like to bring it and Stranges has been a real nice surprise for us.”

The teams plan to play again Friday in Niagara Falls and Sunday in St. Catharines.

“The plan is to try and absorb everything we saw in a non-contact game and really make some adjustments as we head into practice now,” Bielby said. “We didn’t ever think we’d be coaching a non-contact game but that’s the reality and as a result, there are some adjustments to be made.”

The Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League has set a Dec. 2 start for the regular season date pending government approval.

Bielby said if the season has to start under the current restrictions, he would endorse it.

“I think from on what I saw with the energy level of these young men it’s worth it for the hockey community to do what’s right by them and try and do anything possible to keep them on the ice throughout the season, pending we can keep everybody safe and healthy.

“If they want to be there, then we want to be there.”