Will the GOJHL look different next Season?

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

OutsideLookingIn

Will the GOJHL look different next Season?

Post by OutsideLookingIn »

Those organizations that are very tight on their purse strings....will they make it to next season? Will there be teams looking to take a leave of absence? If so, which organizations? Buffalo? Brampton? Caledonia? Ft Erie? If there are teams looking at this, will the league restructure divisions?
RocketGirl

Re: Will the GOJHL look different next Season?

Post by RocketGirl »

I think things will be different. I think the crowds will be smaller and there will be teams that won't be able to sustain and will be forced to fold the following year. I'm honestly a little afraid for my team for that reason. I think there will be some that will seek and capitalize on new avenues to get an audience. There will be a shift in public perception of going out to sporting events and there won't be the packed crowds of yesterday year.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

So no camps until at least September.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio ... -sept-1/
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

That is September at the earliest. And remember, the facilities are controlled by the municipalities so any decision that is made would need full municipal, provincial and federal approval as Hockey Canada is a NGB and receives funding from the Ministry of Heritage and Sport. They will not be able to arbitrarily make decisions. Hockey Canada has a closet full of lawyers and the last thing they want is to have to defend themselves from any sort of liability.

Until a vaccine is found...the way things were done in the past are over. The paranoia from Covid19 has definitely made sure of that. The NHL is continuing without fans in the seats....FYI...I do hear that Luxury Boxes will continue to be utilized as they are easier to oversee. That is from a contact south of the border who is working on a thermal temperature gate for sports arenas/venues that will be able to monitor and read approximately 1000 fans a minute coming through the turnstiles.

With the GOJHL...alot different. They need that community support at the gate as there is no multi-million dollar tv deal. There are many fans who have been following these teams for 20+ years and are in the "high-risk" category....I can see them staying home if nothing has changed in fighting this virus. That will be a shame!