Caldonia Corvairs Over Age Restriction Violation

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

TmnTyler

Caldonia Corvairs Over Age Restriction Violation

Post by TmnTyler »

So after the deadline I noticed that Caledonia picked up Cole Tymikin they are now over the age restriction of 9, 20 year old players with form OHL overage players counting as 2 towards that total. Is the league gonna do anything about this? He's not even the only overager to have played in the OHL after the rule went into effect.
Welland Cougars

Re: Caldonia Corvairs Over Age Restriction Violation

Post by Welland Cougars »

TmnTyler wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:00 pm So after the deadline I noticed that Caledonia picked up Cole Tymikin they are now over the age restriction of 9, 20 year old players with form OHL overage players counting as 2 towards that total. Is the league gonna do anything about this? He's not even the only overager to have played in the OHL after the rule went into effect.
Not sure exactly how it works, but I thought players with past GHL experience didn't count as 2 spots? They currently have five 1999 birth years, with only Tymkin and Burnie requiring "2 spots". So they are currently at 7?

Anyone more familiar with this?
Last edited by Welland Cougars on Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welland Cougars

From an article I found.

"Teams have voted in favour of setting the cap at nine over-age players for each roster. The change also comes with some stipulations. If a 20-year-old played for a CHL team as of January 10, 2015, he counts as two over-agers for his GOJHL team. If however, that player had originally been in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League before moving up, he still counts as one."
TmnTyler

Post by TmnTyler »

Welland Cougars wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:28 am
TmnTyler wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:00 pm So after the deadline I noticed that Caledonia picked up Cole Tymikin they are now over the age restriction of 9, 20 year old players with form OHL overage players counting as 2 towards that total. Is the league gonna do anything about this? He's not even the only overager to have played in the OHL after the rule went into effect.
Not sure exactly how it works, but I thought players with past GHL experience didn't count as 2 spots? They currently have five 1999 birth years, with only Tymkin and Burnie requiring "2 spots". So they are currently at 7?

Anyone more familiar with this?
I just checked Elite Prospects again and they removed a few of the players, it just looked as if they had 9 total overagers with a few having OHL experience last night. My bad, now that the site is updated it looks a lot better.
Professor

Post by Professor »

Better look at Leamington as well Believe they went over the amount as well
Welland Cougars

Leamington is a good catch. They are currently at 9 - 20 year olds.

Looking at the rule listed above, their goalie Matthew Waite should account for 2 spots, bringing their total to 10?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

He played in the BCHL, that's not the CHL, he's 1 card.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Professor

Post by Professor »

I believe that Leamington has used up there American cards, which I believe are 6. They have 6 now but have released 3 during the season
Welland Cougars

RocketGirl wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:46 am He played in the BCHL, that's not the CHL, he's 1 card.
"Teams have voted in favour of setting the cap at nine over-age players for each roster. The change also comes with some stipulations. If a 20-year-old played for a CHL team as of January 10, 2015, he counts as two over-agers for his GOJHL team. If however, that player had originally been in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League before moving up, he still counts as one."

This says GOJHL, nothing about the BCHL.

He played in the CHL for Moncton in the QMJHL.

However, I'm sure you're correct.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

You're interpreting the rule wrong. It's not as of that specific date. It's January 11 of the previous season, so for the 2019-20 season, it's January 11, 2019. Anyone on a CHL card as of that date, as a 19 year old, and did not previously play in the GOJHL, is 2 of the 20 year old cards.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.