Someone answer this for me.....

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

FrozenPonds

Someone answer this for me.....

Post by FrozenPonds »

I heard through the rinkvine the following:

If a GOJHL team has a player and the OJHL wants said player, the maximum that GOJHL can "request" is $1500 for said player.

Now, if an OJHL team has a player who wants/needs to go to Junior "B" for whatever reason, that OJHL team can charge whatever amount the going rate is for that player's calibre!

Can someone shed some light on this for me and if possible, maybe some logic?
blanegretzky

Re: Someone answer this for me.....

Post by blanegretzky »

zero logic ( GOJHL does the same to PJHL )

its not even a request, you just get the money sent to you ( think its E98 i think)
There was a gentleman's agreement that OJ teams would advise if a GO player was in their camp but that agreement is only as good as the individuals involved
but the most a GOJHL team can lose by this is 4 players...after that the OJHL has to negotiate the release fee...so get moving lol
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

The agreement between the Jr.A's and Jr.B's prior to this year would allow the Jr.A's to take no more than 3 players from any one team. They would pay the Jr.B club $1500 for each of the 3 players taken. Open negotiations would take place for any further player movement from said team. There was also a stipulation in the A-B agreement that the 3 players had to be chosen by I think the date was June 1st.

What I've been told now is that there is no number that the the Jr.A clubs have to abide by. If they take 3, 5 or 8 from the Jr.B club, the price is $1500 per player.( not negotiable after 3 players) At the same time, if a Jr.A club wants to sell a player back to the the Jr.B League next year the A club can sell him back for what they figure fair market value is for that player. Example, buy the rights to a player for $1500 and 2 years later sell him back to the same team you took him from for double or triple of what you paid for him.

Sounds to me like the original A_B Agreement which was signed by the OJHL and the GOJHL some 8 to 10 years ago has been scrapped. I know the leagues have gone through a year of developing self governance model to live by that would give the leagues more control of the day to day operations within their own categories but can someone please explain to me what the negotiators for the GOJHL were thinking when the agreed to this outrageous agreement.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

There should be no "gentleman" agreements especially when both leagues compete for the same players.

Would love to see this league take steps to get back to the days where kids actually WANTED to play in this league but alas...the crew currently steering the GOJHL vessel seem inclined to just play second fiddle. To me..that just isnt good enough!!
blanegretzky

Post by blanegretzky »

word is OJ just decided to drop out of the agreement...no negotiating with the GOJHL involved