St. Marys

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

jfvoll

St. Marys

Post by jfvoll »

Is there a reason why St. Marys plays in the Western Conference instead of the Midwest? My friend keeps on telling me they should move to the Midwest instead of the West.
Marcie

Re: St. Marys

Post by Marcie »

The general assumption held by many is that if the West could land another franchise then the Lincs would move to the MidWest to balance out the conferences. Even then that would be a tough decision. St. Marys is an honoured franchise and most West followers would hate to see them leave, including myself. I might feel different though if I lived in the Chatham, LaSalle and Leamington areas. That is one heck of a long haul, especially in bad weather in the winter.
OutsideLookingIn

Post by OutsideLookingIn »

Question is. If the West did land another franchise. Where would it be located? Tillsonburg? To be honest, looking at the map, I have no clue where a team would be best suited for the west.
JruGordon

Post by JruGordon »

If the Western Conference was to get another team, the location could be a place that previously had a Jr B team (Windsor, Tillsonburg, Aylmer), or maybe Woodstock.

Or a PJHL team could move up (Dorchester, Mitchell)
OutsideLookingIn

Post by OutsideLookingIn »

Well... I believe Windsor is out of the question as I believe LaSalle covers that area. But I do agree with Dorchester, Woodstock and Tillsonburg. But Dorchester would be battling for players with London.
RecKing

Post by RecKing »

A history lesson on St. Marys franchise: In 1956/57 the Lincs along with Woodstock entered the OHA West replacing New Hamburg and Simcoe. (Between that tie and 1964/65 Stratford, Preston, Goderich, Ingersoll and Tillsonburg also played in the West.) St. Marys entered the Central B loop in 1964/65 and stayed there until 1967/68 - the West folded in 1968/69 when the "Outlaw League" was created. However several teas joined the Central for one season and then re-organized in 1969/70 as the West which at that tie also included several former Central teams. The LIncolns have remained a part of the West since that time and even when the official OHA divisions came about (Golden Horseshoe, Midwest and West) in 1977/78 the LIncs remained a part of its West Jr. B grouping.
Aaron Wiebe

Post by Aaron Wiebe »

I wouldn't mind seeing Aylmer back in the western conference but then again they weren't very good when they were in the league I remember my Leamington Flyers beating them pretty easily on several occasions and some nights the score would be very bad