Waterloo, London Suthy Finals

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

BeenThereDoneThat

Waterloo, London Suthy Finals

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Well game 1 went pretty much as I expected. London got thrashed by a much faster and well balanced Waterloo squad.
Hope the next three games have similar results but I doubt that they will. Waterloo has not been the most consistent
team during this play off run, example up 3-0 against the Falls in the semi finals then they take the foot off the pedal
and the Falls win the next 2 games before Waterloo settles down and clinches the series.
SugarKing

Re: Waterloo, London Suthy Finals

Post by SugarKing »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:21 pm Well game 1 went pretty much as I expected. London got thrashed by a much faster and well balanced Waterloo squad.
Hope the next three games have similar results but I doubt that they will. Waterloo has not been the most consistent
team during this play off run, example up 3-0 against the Falls in the semi finals then they take the foot off the pedal
and the Falls win the next 2 games before Waterloo settles down and clinches the series.
I agree that their not the most consistent team, but I wouldnt say they took there foot off the petal. The only reason the falls won a game is because Onuska was injured. Would have easily swept if they had there goalie in net
BeenThereDoneThat

I was at all 6 games in that series and the Siskins did most certainly take their foot of the pedal. A good example
was their lack of disciple in game 5. This team has mostly played a disciplined brand of hockey this year and they
returned to that style in their last two games. The goaltending situation was a factor in the Siskins/Canucks series
but it wouldn't have matter who played goal in game 5, the Canucks were definitely the better more disciplined
team that night.

Coaching was also where Waterloo had the advantage over the Canucks, it appears that they have the same advantage
in this series, based on what we've seen in game 1

Go Skins
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:22 pm I was at all 6 games in that series and the Siskins did most certainly take their foot of the pedal. A good example
was their lack of disciple in game 5. This team has mostly played a disciplined brand of hockey this year and they
returned to that style in their last two games. The goaltending situation was a factor in the Siskins/Canucks series
but it wouldn't have matter who played goal in game 5, the Canucks were definitely the better more disciplined
team that night.

Coaching was also where Waterloo had the advantage over the Canucks, it appears that they have the same advantage
in this series, based on what we've seen in game 1

Go Skins

9-4 doesnt tell me coachin was the advantage, but maybe you know some thing more than average fan. Will be at the game sunday night, exited to see for my own eyes
BeenThereDoneThat

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. By the way it's an afternoon game, 1;30 start

Go Skins
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:38 pm I'm sure you'll enjoy it. By the way it's an afternoon game, 1;30 start

Go Skins
Thanks!
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

SugarKing wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:20 pm Will be at the game sunday night, exited to see for my own eyes
You definitely got your money's worth today. After the first period, I thought Waterloo was done but they seemed they seemed to be in it in the 2nd.

The last 2 minutes was crazy though, as well OT.
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

I did not get to the game yesterday but took a look at the gamesheet. I see that Waterloo was given a powerplay in the last minute which they used to tie the game and send it to overtime. London had taken the lead a short time earlier on a powerplay goal of their own and the Sisken goal would appear to be an even-up call to me. Probably not what happened but sure does look that way. Any opinions? Definitely a better game than Game 1.
phillipdh

Post by phillipdh »

Was at the game and it was a very competitive one. Nationals had the upper hand the whole game I thought. One goal was called off, net apparently came off just before the puck crossed the line, was too close in my opinion. Could have been a whole different third period if the goal counted
I make hockey teams look good
Dr. Pepper

Post by Dr. Pepper »

Beehive wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:00 pm I did not get to the game yesterday but took a look at the gamesheet. I see that Waterloo was given a powerplay in the last minute which they used to tie the game and send it to overtime. London had taken the lead a short time earlier on a powerplay goal of their own and the Sisken goal would appear to be an even-up call to me. Probably not what happened but sure does look that way. Any opinions? Definitely a better game than Game 1.

Nothing can be learned simply by reading a game sheet, not an even up call at all.

This from the London Free Press by a Free Press reporter

But Nationals d-man Austin Jeffers was called for a pretty obvious hold in the corner. Waterloo used its timeout and Jeff Schrattner came through with the equalizer with just 16.2 seconds on the clock and the goaltender out for an extra attacker.

And this from coach Powers

“We shouldn’t be in that situation,” Powers said. “We should be stick on puck and keep the puck away from our net instead of bear-hugging a guy. We’re down 6-on-4 and our penalty kill executes as if it’s a 5-on-4 – and it’s in our net.
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

Thanks for the info Dr. Pepper. Just the timing of the infraction is what caught my eye.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Was at the game but both calls were in the same spot on the ice and so I had a hard time getting a good read on either of them. Saw the highlights this morning and the call on London is legit, but am I the only one to think the call on Waterloo was soft? I'm a Midwest fan - Redhawks baby! so maybe I'm just seeing through rose colored glasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O2gY0J_2gg
Welland Cougars

Post by Welland Cougars »

Obviously can't see the call on Waterloo from those highlights, but the holding call on London is 100% legit. Definitely and odd choice to wrap the man up like that just feet from the Referee.
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

jfvoll wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:50 pm
SugarKing wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:20 pm Will be at the game sunday night, exited to see for my own eyes
You definitely got your money's worth today. After the first period, I thought Waterloo was done but they seemed they seemed to be in it in the 2nd.

The last 2 minutes was crazy though, as well OT.
I sure did!! what a game. i just dont get how the skins won 9 to 4 in the first one. the teams look really even and id even say the nats outplayed them. both penalties at the end were good calls. first one the nats player dived but he didnt have the puck anyways and the nats penalty looked like he was trying to bear hug him. great game I hope london wins some of them i want to see 5 more of these
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

SugarKing wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:04 am i just dont get how the skins won 9 to 4 in the first one.
That's how Loo seemed to be all year long. There's no denying their offense can rack them up, but man do they seem to be a team that can float a lot.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

SugarKing wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:04 am I hope london wins some of them i want to see 5 more of these
As a Siskin fan I hope not hahaha , but I honestly can't see Waterloo sweeping London.
BeenThereDoneThat

MacRae for London gets 4 game suspension for vicious head shot to Waterloo player Taylor on Sunday. Original call was a 2 minute minor for head contact and an automatic 10 minute misconduct.
phillipdh

Post by phillipdh »

Series is all tied up now after many thought the Nationals might be out.

Place your bets
Welland Cougars

Post by Welland Cougars »

London has been the better team in 3 of 4 games played so far. I don't see that changing.
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:21 pm Well game 1 went pretty much as I expected. London got thrashed by a much faster and well balanced Waterloo squad.
it looks like you thaught wrong. two great teams that should both get credit. there in the finals for a reason. time to give credit where its duee
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

cant remember the last time there was a game 7. this has to be the best final ever since there was no round robin. dose anyone know if their are ticket sales before the game?
phillipdh

Post by phillipdh »

SugarKing wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:40 pm cant remember the last time there was a game 7. this has to be the best final ever since there was no round robin. dose anyone know if their are ticket sales before the game?
Last Game 7 I think was 2013 with London/Cambridge.

No advance tickets, cash at the door
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Caledonia needed 7 games to win over St. Catharines too. I think that was the following year and the first 3 in a row for the Corvairs. Not sure though.
BeenThereDoneThat

Sugar King, yep, looks like I underestimated the London team. Oh well, I can live with that.
It has been a great series as previously mentioned, should be a great game 7

As usual, Go Skins
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

The OHA has suspended Waterloo's Sam Cherry for 4 games on video review of a hit on London's Christian Polillo.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RecKing

Post by RecKing »

The last time the Sutherland Cup went to game 7 was in the 2013/14 season when Caledonia beat St. Catharines. Prior to that in 2002/03 Stratford topped Thorold. Since 1980 only three other SC finals have went to 7 games: in 1981/82 St. MIchaels beat Sarnia; in 1997/98- Niagara Falls edged Elmira and in 1998 Chatham got by Stratford. So in the last 40 years there have only five ties has the SC went the full distance. That makes this year's game 7 a rarity.
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

RecKing wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:31 pm The last time the Sutherland Cup went to game 7 was in the 2013/14 season when Caledonia beat St. Catharines. Prior to that in 2002/03 Stratford topped Thorold. Since 1980 only three other SC finals have went to 7 games: in 1981/82 St. MIchaels beat Sarnia; in 1997/98- Niagara Falls edged Elmira and in 1998 Chatham got by Stratford. So in the last 40 years there have only five ties has the SC went the full distance. That makes this year's game 7 a rarity.
game sevens are the best. i wish i could go but i would only be able to watch 1/2 of it after work. point streak said sam cherrey got suspended four games. i was at both 130 games in waterloo and didnt see either of the hits that the players got suspended for. both were given to the league by london and waterloo. did anyone see the hits that could explain why the refs didnt give them suspensions in the first place?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Congratulations to Waterloo on winning the Sutherland Cup tonight!
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Well what I thought was pretty cool was that #SutherlandCup was trending on twitter. That's impressive to be in the top 10 throughout Canada. It makes you realize how important our league is.
phillipdh

Post by phillipdh »

I know it won’t change anything (and lord only knows the uprising it will cause) but here’s an interesting video from last nights game

https://twitter.com/ryanatlfpress/statu ... 66304?s=21