Vipers' Dalpe chases OHL dream

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Marcie

Vipers' Dalpe chases OHL dream

Post by Marcie »

Vipers' Dalpe takes his game on the road as he chases OHL dream

Jim Parker, Windsor Star

Another weekend and Belle River’s Zane Dalpe finds himself at another rink trying to showcase his talents.

A week ago, the 17-year-old Dalpe was one of 31 prospects taking part in a Windsor Spitfires mini camp17 at the WFCU Centre.

“Warren (Rychel, the Spitfires’ general manager) called me and he said he’d like me to come out to camp as a free agent, so I came out,” said Dalpe, who spent last season with the junior B LaSalle Vipers. “I grew up here, so it’s exciting for me to skate in the Spitfire environment and get the feel of what it takes to compete with OHL players.”

But on Friday, Dalpe headed north to attend spring camp with the Kitchener Rangers.

“I’ll take any opportunity I can get,” Dalpe said. “The (OHL) Draft doesn’t really faze me. Wherever I get a chance to go play, I’ll go skate, try my best and go from there.”
Dalpe was actually rated to go between the third and sixth rounds of the 2018 OHL Draft, but was not selected. Still, he earned one of two underage spots with the Vipers and responded with 19 goals and 38 points in 47 games as a rookie.

“It was hard,” Dalpe said of being bypassed in the draft. “It was upsetting because I heard some rumours I was going to maybe get drafted. So, when it didn’t happen, it was tough for me a little bit.”

One OHL team put him back on this year’s draft list, but he was again passed over and because he didn’t play midget hockey last season, he wasn’t eligible to be taken in the OHL’s Under-18 Draft.

“He’s great,” Rychel said of Dalpe. “He had a really good year in junior B, put the puck in the net and his skating improved.

“He deserved to be drafted in the (2018) draft and it didn’t happen. I’m sure he’s getting a lot of interest and I’m glad (he attended) our camp.”

Actually, not being drafted is in some ways a blessing for Dalpe as he’s free to explore avenues with any team in the league or he can return to LaSalle and pursue a scholarship in the United States. As well, Dalpe is also a solid lacrosse player and was a first-round pick by the Barrie Lakeshores Junior A lacrosse club.

“All options are open,” the five-foot-10, 178-pound Dalpe said. “I’m looking into all options and what’s going to best to set me up later in life.”

But he admits that he grew up watching the Spitfires and the chance to play in the OHL is something he’s dreamt about doing.

“I grew up here, I’ve been watching Spits since I was five- or six-yeas-old, so it’s cool to skate with them and tryout for the team,” Dalpe said. “It’s all surreal to get that opportunity.

“I’m looking at a lot of thing, but if I can sign in the OHL it would be amazing. It’s been a dream of mine since I was young. But, in the end, it’s what’s best for me in the future.

“I’ve always wanted to play in the OHL and have worked that it my whole life. Now, it’s just a matter of working hard and trying to get there and trying the best I can. Play my game, work hard and do what I can do. I trust my skills and what I can do.”