Sutherland Cup Semis

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

SugarKing

Sutherland Cup Semis

Post by SugarKing »

London Nationals and Listowel Cycs back again. Nice to see two new teams in. Canucks can thank Caly that they get a new representation from the Shoe. And the Loo is in as the Midwest champ. 4th year and a row that the Midwest sends 2 to the Suthy. Any predictions?? RG I’m looking at you, cuz ur the 1 that watchs all the leagues.

(#1) London Nationals vs (WC) Listowel Cyclones
(#2) Niagara Canucks vs (#3) Waterloo Siskins
RocketGirl

Re: Sutherland Cup Semis

Post by RocketGirl »

I'd like to see Listowel take out London again, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I predict that Waterloo and Niagara Falls will be a good series to watch. I think it'll be a coin flip on who emerges.

Perhaps this round, I'll make it to a game.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Canucks vs London Final is my quess. Canucks in 6, thanks Caly!
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

Hopefully Niagara Falls still has enough left after that series with St. Catharines. It is a shame that the Falcons did not make it to the semi's
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

Beehive wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:17 am Hopefully Niagara Falls still has enough left after that series with St. Catharines. It is a shame that the Falcons did not make it to the semi's
Its a shame that a team lost a serie’s already and is in the suthy. Dont see how The team with the 5th best winning record not making it is a shame also.
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

Unfortunately the determination of the wildcard entry will always be in question for some reason or another. The best way would be the creation of a fourth division thus eliminating the need for the wildcard. Another obstacle is the seeding of the teams. You can only gain an accurate value of wins, losses and goals for and against if the teams involved have a fully interlocking schedule. That would eliminate the argument that one of the three divisions (West, Midwest and Horseshoe) play weaker or stronger teams than the next.
I do think that the current wildcard situation is better than the old three-team home and away round-robin where one bad game could spell doom for any particular team. Any way you look at it, it would be a real injustice if the wildcard winner defeated the team that eliminated them in the Sutherland Cup final.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

You mean like when Elmira won the Sutherland Cup 2 years ago as the wild card.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

Yes, but it would have been worse if they defeated Listowel in the final and not London.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Love our game
Having seen them play half a dozen times or so between this year and last. I could see his defensive systems as a 5 man
unit and their power play especially had a unique twist to it from most other GO teams I witnessed. 2 big elements of the game that take successful teams a long way.
Well, your best coached team is getting out coached by the Cherrey Cup Champs.
Queen of the GOJHL

SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

RocketGirl wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:09 pm
Love our game
Having seen them play half a dozen times or so between this year and last. I could see his defensive systems as a 5 man
unit and their power play especially had a unique twist to it from most other GO teams I witnessed. 2 big elements of the game that take successful teams a long way.
Well, your best coached team is getting out coached by the Cherrey Cup Champs.
“Best coach” my rear end! Most undiplined, no control over there players, use only 10 outta the whole 18 players. Once and forall we know who the worse conference is. Not seeing those 5 point games by there players against real competition. Franky had his shot, now bring back Caly!
drafty

Post by drafty »

One only has to look at the players penalty minutes in the playoffs. Canucks have the top 3 and 6 of the top 10, led by 'why is he even in this league' McCabe. Stupid penalties and overall lack of effort has doomed them.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

All of the undisciplined action we have seen during the playoff shown by the Canucks, has been condoned by their coach for the entire season. His belief is, as he has so often stated, if it takes bullying to win, then so be it, what will be will be. Well Frankie boy, now that McCabe and Mendonca have put you in such a deep hole, what are your thoughts now.I believe the Siskins are no better then the Canucks, the big difference is coaching. The Siskin coach knows how to win, the Canucks coach hasn't learned that yet.
drafty

Post by drafty »

And yet Mendonca is the playoff scoring leader. Go figure.
But it's not just those 2, it's a total team effort in the bad penalty department.
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

drafty wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:49 pm And yet Mendonca is the playoff scoring leader. Go figure.
But it's not just those 2, it's a total team effort in the bad penalty department.
30 points verses Lockport and Pelham. If they can’t win a game verses Waterloo, how bad would those teams be.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

SugarKing wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:56 pm 30 points verses Lockport and Pelham. If they can’t win a game verses Waterloo, how bad would those teams be.
I'm pretty sure Lockport and Pelham didn't build their teams for a SC run either though.
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

Niagara Falls goin out with a derogotory comment to finish the season off. Golden Hoseshoe last hope. Now havent one a suthy cup final game in 3 straigt seasons
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Canucks were having troubles with Thornton and VanHeeswyk this afternoon. Entire bench was yelling at Thornton at the end of the game, McCabe was right in his face.
Queen of the GOJHL

Beehive

Post by Beehive »

SugarKing wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:01 pm Niagara Falls goin out with a derogotory comment to finish the season off. Golden Hoseshoe last hope. Now havent one a suthy cup final game in 3 straigt seasons
Which obviously pleases you to no end for whatever reason Sugar King. It is not the fault of the Canucks or Falcons that Lockport or a few other weak sisters are in their division. Every division has some weaker entries which top clubs pad their stats against.
Let's hope the final between London and Waterloo is a good one.
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

Beehive wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:48 pm
SugarKing wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:01 pm Niagara Falls goin out with a derogotory comment to finish the season off. Golden Hoseshoe last hope. Now havent one a suthy cup final game in 3 straigt seasons
Which obviously pleases you to no end for whatever reason Sugar King. It is not the fault of the Canucks or Falcons that Lockport or a few other weak sisters are in their division. Every division has some weaker entries which top clubs pad their stats against.
Let's hope the final between London and Waterloo is a good one.
When a team acts like that, derogitory comments penalties in 200 minites, coach complaning to the paper bout the referes. Not shamed to admit it, it pleases me. Taking about the teams like they’re so great when they play junior c type teams in the season. Not makin a fan out of me, I’ll tell ya that
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

Well, how was that for a final? A seven game series with a one goal differential between the teams. It just doesn't get any better than that!