Maroons almost toast?

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Love our game

Maroons almost toast?

Post by Love our game »

Does the Chatham Maroons lack sound coaching or do their Vets lack heart, or both? Something is not right?
goj_gigi

Re: Maroons almost toast?

Post by goj_gigi »

lightly browned but not burnt...it’s not over yet ... at this point the lack of coaching experience, gumption, maturity & failure to manage or motivate ‘the personnel who are supposed to count’ seems to be glaringly obvious. The desire to work for the win is missing. The love of the game isn’t present. Leadership needs to make these players feel invincible and know that they can win but ... as a TEAM. Trying to round out the roster with AP’s who haven’t played or practiced with the team consistently this year doesn’t seem to be the answer. Time to set pride aside and shake things up ... not much to lose now (just one game anyway).
ydnarhabs

Post by ydnarhabs »

All year I’ve said that this guy wasn’t building a team and that you need 4 lines especially in the playoffs. He needed to insert his rookies and 2nd year guys into the lineup. Gardiner/O’Brien with a 6’2” 185 lb first yr centre could be a solid line. Shultz/Johnstone and Wells or Baddour, Robinson/Rychel plus one of Wells or Baddour or Lemieux, well you get the pic. The twins and Power being the additional line. Four solid lines playing relatively even minutes would have been tough to defend against. But no first and second line vets were eating up 65/75% of ice time plus pp and pk with 3rd line getting 20% and the last 3/4 kids seizing up on the bench or sent out for a few seconds here and there. You don’t get better by sitting!
Promises made promises not kept.
This is a group of good young men. The overall skill level and experience factor lokked very promising but game in game out as soon as a penalty occurred or god forbid we get scored on panic set in and the bench would be shortenned. Sometimes within the first few minutes of the first period.
Frustrating.....
I still think they can come back and even win this series but the cost will be a very fatigued small group going forward and the chances of advancing further will lessen the longer they go on.
Team chemistry is a fragile thing. As the pressure mounted some questionable personnel moves may have done more harm than good. I guess it all comes down to Thursday. One game at a time. One period at a time, one shift at a time. The team that plays as a team will most likely advance. Should be quite a night.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

This doesn't surprise me. As was stated above, you can't expect to win with one or two lines. That, and the coach isn't getting anything out of his top players. The kids from Caledonia have played like they could care less how their season goes. That tells most of the story right there. Terrible coaching!
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Should the season end soon enough for the Maroons some of the veterans have been added to teams in the OJHL. That may help explain some of the motivation issues.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

It took facing elimination after falling behind 3-1 for the Coach to express this?

“We’ve got a lot of skill and we’ve got a lot of talent on this team, but right now the team that’s beating us is a team that’s playing cohesive and they’re playing for each other and they’re playing desperate,” Makaric said. “They’re playing like they really want to win this series.

No kidding, Rookie!
ydnarhabs

Post by ydnarhabs »

sounds like the coach read my post.
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

Love our game wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:13 pm It took facing elimination after falling behind 3-1 for the Coach to express this?

“We’ve got a lot of skill and we’ve got a lot of talent on this team, but right now the team that’s beating us is a team that’s playing cohesive and they’re playing for each other and they’re playing desperate,” Makaric said. “They’re playing like they really want to win this series.

No kidding, Rookie!
This is a Corvairs type roster. Bully motivated groups like this, Listowel coaches did it with there roster, London coach’s do it. Time to look in the mirror Kyle. Out of excuses, players need to play and earn what your giving them but the coach has a part in it too. In way over his head. Close your eyes, roll your lines and you’ll get better results. Win or lose this series, it’s on the players alone. No help from the bench
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

And they're out...

BTW, when was the last time the Komoka franchise won a playoff series?
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

and the Mighty Maroons are DONE. I believe the last time the Komoka franchise won a playoff series was something like 2006.
End of a era in Leamington
number 17

Post by number 17 »

Komoka deserves some credit they have good coaching an enthusiastic young group of kids a good affiliate system and most importantly a centre that will support them. They had very little support in Lambton Shores and their last few years in Petrolia. Kudos to the management and owner it's been a long dry spell. They will continue to be a threat in years to come.
ydnarhabs

Post by ydnarhabs »

Congrats to Komoka. This result was not a surprize. Chatham’s play / strategy peaked in November. Any team would quickly learn that the key to stopping Chatham was to defend the top 2 lines, frustrate the players prone to taking retaliatory type penalties and press the defence with speed and a quick transition game. Chatham would have done well to trade some of their offensive talent for a solid stay at home defender. Big weakness was on D. To much jumping in to the play and getting caught. You could see by the new year that teams were starting to see the weaknesses. Unfortunately the coach never adjusted, just kept doing the same old over and over again. If it wasn’t Komoka it was going to be Lasalle or Leamington or London. Those teams especially Leamington and Lasalle and obviously Komoka improved as the year wore on while Chatham just wore out it’s vets. Should be some great series coming. Sure wish our players could have gained some additional playoff experience but when at least 10 of your players are moving on does it really matter. Hats off to Harris and Lewis. They played stellar all year and hid the glaring problems on the blueline.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Re: leamington/Chatham trade
Post by Love our game » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:41 pm

SK you bring a very valid point in terms of the coaching! Head coach is a headcase! He and his team would benefit from keeping his loud mouth shut, no doubt! Ref's don't forget those guys, especially come playoff time!
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Sugar King - I disagree with the Corvairs statement although.
PAL

Post by PAL »

IT is easy to blame the coach .I .am not trying to defend him but the most important thing in hockey is the team.I had older players tell me the young guys have to sit we did.Does that sound like a person with the teams best interest at heart.If a young guy scored he would not be rewarded he would basically be benched a threat to veterans ice time. Defense on this team was non existent most could not move puck effectively lots of fans expressed need for defense man fell on deaf ears.Coach was weak and easily lead a good team ruined by I think a few self centered people.
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

Love our game wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:03 pm Sugar King - I disagree with the Corvairs statement although.
We can’t agree on everything. Shouldn’t compare Listowel Chatham London and Caledonia, but my point is that they all had powerhouses on there roster. You need a coach to handle that. 3/4 of the coach’s do, only only one that didn’t is Chatham. Maroons have maybe the best lines in the conference, to lose first round is on the coach.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Agreed!
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Here's a question, how long until Makaric is let go? Or will he be? Based on some reaction on here and Facebook, it almost feels like Maroons fans will riot if he's not fired.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Dr. Pepper

Post by Dr. Pepper »

I hear Mark Davis is looking {lol}
goj_gigi

Post by goj_gigi »

Powerhouses vs Coach - ego vs. super ego. Coaches remarks in local publications make it clear that he is not taking any responsibility for the failure of this ‘dream team’, and that it was all on the players. Way to sidestep that eh. Time to grow up and own it. The coach is the front man of the team, in glory or defeat. With that comes a great of responsibility and ownership that I’m sure took the coach off guard. As a leader, if you want effort, grit and good character, demonstrate it and demand it. Hold those accountable who don’t show it and be consistent - with everyone, no matter who. Don’t be scared of the backlash. Those who want it, will work for it. Did anyone learn anymore about the game? Probably not but they did learn a lot about human nature and character. The arrogance to want to run the show and ridigness to never adapt or change a thing won’t bode well for any future aspirations in this field. Tweak that resume & fill it with the lies you gave to this squad.
Blades

Post by Blades »

Dr. Pepper wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:15 pm I hear Mark Davis is looking {lol}
Yes, please -- hopefully I thought.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

goj_gigi wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:34 pm Powerhouses vs Coach - ego vs. super ego. Coaches remarks in local publications make it clear that he is not taking any responsibility for the failure of this ‘dream team’, and that it was all on the players. Way to sidestep that eh. Time to grow up and own it. The coach is the front man of the team, in glory or defeat. With that comes a great of responsibility and ownership that I’m sure took the coach off guard. As a leader, if you want effort, grit and good character, demonstrate it and demand it. Hold those accountable who don’t show it and be consistent - with everyone, no matter who. Don’t be scared of the backlash. Those who want it, will work for it. Did anyone learn anymore about the game? Probably not but they did learn a lot about human nature and character. The arrogance to want to run the show and ridigness to never adapt or change a thing won’t bode well for any future aspirations in this field. Tweak that resume & fill it with the lies you gave to this squad.
Well said. In all his press conference, either paper or website, it sounds like he wrote everything down that Hamlin said and repeated it without knowing what it means. That don’t impress jr players like it does minor players. To your point RG, not sure when he gets fired but he will. He had his 1st chance with the best roster, and he got smoked in the 1st series with it. If they give him a not so good roster, hell miss the playoff.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Re: leamington/Chatham trade
Post by Love our game » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:00 am

I am still not convinced that Chatham has the goal tending to reach the Sutherland Cup? A 3.0 G.A.A will get you eaten alive come play off time! Could use a bit more on the back end, 3 or four 4 D won't cut it either.

Unfortunately - Chathams Goal tending looked even worst than I thought they would in these losing playoffs?
PAL

Post by PAL »

Maroons fools are we. The owner for thinking he could buy a team with an inexperienced coach in place . the coach for being unable to motivate anyone to give an honest effort. The older players after the trade was made our top players were demoted to second fiddle causing bigger rift in team and sacrificing two great team mates.The younger players for not realizing there are no friends on the ice you have to compete even if it hurts someone else on the team friends are made after the game.Do not let someone else control your fate.STAFF for sitting back and not influencing the coach to change not one of you should ever coach in this developmental league again.That is a joke.
mightyducks05

Post by mightyducks05 »

When is the owner going to realize that paying a few 4th line OHLers doesn’t result in team success...
Allegoryofthecave

Post by Allegoryofthecave »

"The Maroons (11-4-0-2) and Flyers (9-6-1-2) are only three points apart in the Western Conference. Chatham is in second place and Leamington is tied for third." Combined points after the trade for Rychel and Robinson 80 and for Thomas Michaud and Josh King 34. This was probably addressed by this board already, but the trade in itself doesn't make sense for Leamington at the time however, makes perfect sense after this epic loss to Komoka. What am I missing? Chatham was well on their way to first or second. Coaching was not an issue at that time. I don't buy all this coaching issue explanation. Thoughts?
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

The Coach is self centered, possibly an element of maturity or lack there of? Its not hard to hear it or read between the lines of his remarks or comments about the team, when he's talking about why they lost!
PAL

Post by PAL »

Numbers can always be used to prove a point but in many cases if you do not consider all the facts you will not come up with the right answer.Allegoryofthecave seems like he might be one of the staff looking for a second chance the only way to get that is as was said earlier own up to it and move on.Coach will not, do not make same mistake his career will be short.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Maroons paid a high price for ex OHL and QMJHL players that underachieved and did not get the job done.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Yes! That also was a big factor. Good coaches are usually quick to pick up on the fact that they have been handed heartless, washed up players and address that as soon as possible. I agree