Western Conference Awards

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Western Conference Awards

Post by RocketGirl »

I received word on this year's winner of the Western Conference Convenor's Award.

Good Morning with St. Mary’s having their Awards Banquet last night, I shared this award with their Organization so it could be presented, I’m please to announce this years Western Conference Convenor Award Recipient is Bill Bourne, Bill is well known to all in the West and GOJHL, please see below.

Prior to joining the St. Marys Lincolns, Bill Bourne spent four years with the Lucan Irish Jr D Club as an assistant coach eventually winning a provincial championship in 98-99.  Two years later, the Strathroy resident began making the trip to the Stonetown and hasn’t looked back since.  Bill has taken on just about every role in Hockey Operations, joining in 2001 as an Assistant Coach, a role he held for four seasons.  He would advance to the General Manager role for several seasons, guiding the Lincolns to a first place finish in 05-06, eventually losing to the Chatham Maroons in the conference finals.  Through the ups and the downs of Junior Hockey in St. Marys, Bill has persevered and offered a reliable, knowledgeable hand.  In recent years he has spent time as Vice President of Hockey Operations on the club’s executive.  For those tuning into Hockey TV broadcasts, Bill is now the club’s colour commentator as well, a skill that seems to come to him naturally.  For 18 years of commitment and dedication to Jr B Hockey in St. Mary’s, Bill Bourne is a very deserving recipient of this award. 

Thanks,
Mark

Congratulations Bournie! Very deserving indeed.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Re: Western Conference Awards

Post by Marcie »

Love the man! Very well derserved indeed. Always very helpful and courteous. A steady rock with the Lincolns' organization through their ups and downs.
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

RocketGirl wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:04 am I received word on this year's winner of the Western Conference Convenor's Award.

Good Morning with St. Mary’s having their Awards Banquet last night, I shared this award with their Organization so it could be presented, I’m please to announce this years Western Conference Convenor Award Recipient is Bill Bourne, Bill is well known to all in the West and GOJHL, please see below.

Prior to joining the St. Marys Lincolns, Bill Bourne spent four years with the Lucan Irish Jr D Club as an assistant coach eventually winning a provincial championship in 98-99.  Two years later, the Strathroy resident began making the trip to the Stonetown and hasn’t looked back since.  Bill has taken on just about every role in Hockey Operations, joining in 2001 as an Assistant Coach, a role he held for four seasons.  He would advance to the General Manager role for several seasons, guiding the Lincolns to a first place finish in 05-06, eventually losing to the Chatham Maroons in the conference finals.  Through the ups and the downs of Junior Hockey in St. Marys, Bill has persevered and offered a reliable, knowledgeable hand.  In recent years he has spent time as Vice President of Hockey Operations on the club’s executive.  For those tuning into Hockey TV broadcasts, Bill is now the club’s colour commentator as well, a skill that seems to come to him naturally.  For 18 years of commitment and dedication to Jr B Hockey in St. Mary’s, Bill Bourne is a very deserving recipient of this award. 

Thanks,
Mark

Congratulations Bournie! Very deserving indeed.
Morning RG, I assume you would be the best to ask about this. This time last year the awards were given out, would you happen to know when the award winners will be announced for this season? Unfortunate that these boys don’t get recognized in front of their peers this seasons.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Well I happened to ask if the other awards were decided and was told that with no banquets this season, the voting wasn't completed yet, but winners should be announced this week.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

RocketGirl wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:54 am Well I happened to ask if the other awards were decided and was told that with no banquets this season, the voting wasn't completed yet, but winners should be announced this week.
Do you know who votes for the team awards?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

The GM's, unless it's changed.

In years past, each team would put forth their nominees for the awards, each team would have 1 representative. On the day of the banquet, they would have a GM meeting, the last before play-offs, and that's when voting would take place. I believe you could not vote for your own player.

Now that there's no banquets, voting is done by email, at least that's my understanding, and well, we've seen how well communication is among the league/Conferences.

I'm not sure why it's taking so long. I also don't know why they got rid of the banquets, perhaps to save money, but a banquet should still happen. I've seen/received complaints when the Rockets are done around this time and the banquet isn't until May, can only imagine if we decided to not do one at all.
Queen of the GOJHL

SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

RocketGirl wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:58 am The GM's, unless it's changed.

In years past, each team would put forth their nominees for the awards, each team would have 1 representative. On the day of the banquet, they would have a GM meeting, the last before play-offs, and that's when voting would take place. I believe you could not vote for your own player.

Now that there's no banquets, voting is done by email, at least that's my understanding, and well, we've seen how well communication is among the league/Conferences.

I'm not sure why it's taking so long. I also don't know why they got rid of the banquets, perhaps to save money, but a banquet should still happen. I've seen/received complaints when the Rockets are done around this time and the banquet isn't until May, can only imagine if we decided to not do one at all.
That makes sense. I hope votes are public or you’ll get people voting for players to make sure there player wins.
I wish we had lists of passed years winners to prove my sentiment.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

It takes a little work, but the award winners from past seasons are on the GOJHL site. You have to search the news section for February posts, but they're there.
Queen of the GOJHL

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

The award winners have been released. I've only seen them on Twitter, but I've put them on my Facebook page.
Queen of the GOJHL