First Round

Flyers 4 Rockets 0

Nationals 4 Stars 1

Maroons 4 Kings 1

Vipers 4 Legionnaires 3
Marcie

Re: First Round Predictions

Post by Marcie »

Usually a popular thread in the postseason, but not this year for some reason. I'll take a stab at it. Not necessarily my hopes, but my expectations - Flyers, Nats, Maroons all sweep in 4, the Legion in 7.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Leamo in 4, London in 5, Chatham in 5, Sarnia in 6
End of a era in Leamington
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

GOJHL WESTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFF MATCHUPS (London Free Press)

(2) London vs. (7) St. Thomas

Head-to-head: Nationals took four of six, but Stars won last two meetings in February.

Outlook: Based on their regular-season tilts, don’t expect a ton of goals.

Standouts: London – Conference scoring king Cal Davis had nine points in six games against the Stars; Zach Springer was 3-1 with a shutout, 1.27 goals against average and .942 save percentage. St. Thomas – Knights prospect Sean McGurn had three goals and six points in six games against the Nats; Goalie Anthony Hurtubise had both Stars wins, with 2.41 GAA and .938 save percentage.

Series starts: Wednesday, 7 p.m. at Western Fair.
(1) Leamington vs (8) Strathroy

Head-to-head: First-place Flyers won four of six and outscored the Rockets 17-2 in their three home games.

Outlook: Strathroy is league’s best eighth seed in years. If they can bag a win on the road, look out.

Standouts: Leamington – Adam Jeffery led the way with five goals in the six games. Michael Andrews (10 points) and Dylan Weston had four apiece. Strathroy – Carson Perry was the top offensive threat (3 goals, 7 points in six games) while TJ Harris added three tallies, including an overtime winner.

Series starts: Thursday in Tomato Town.
(3) Chatham vs. (6) Komoka

Head-to-head: The Maroons won four of six. The final meeting in Chatham ended in a 4-4 tie.

Outlook: New Kings coach Ron Horvat was the Maroons’ previous boss, leading team to consecutive second-round appearances (and defeats to London).

Standouts: Chatham – Dane Johnstone scored seven times, including two winners, against the Kings in six games. D-man Dakota Bohn is always dangerous from the back. Komoka – Blake McConnell-Barker (4 goals, 7 points) and Kurt Watson (four goals, six points) did most of the damage, but the Maroons need to stop sniper Joel Mazzilli.

Series starts: Thursday at imposing Chatham Memorial Arena.
(4) Sarnia vs. (5) LaSalle

Head-to-head: This should be the most competitive first-round series in the Junior B ranks. The Vipers had the edge with three wins in six meetings. One of the Legionnaires’ two wins came in overtime and another game ended in a tie.

Outlook: It really should be a homer series that goes the distance.

Standouts: Sarnia – Alex DeKoning blasted home six goals in six meetings. Nolan DeGurse chipped in three, including a winner. LaSalle – Brett Vorshuk had four goals to lead the Snakes. Will Tragge put up a 2.13 GAA and .923 save percentage in five starts.

Series starts: Thursday at the old Sarnia Arena, where you must keep your eye on flying pucks.
Allegoryofthecave

Post by Allegoryofthecave »

I have Thomas winning this one. Komoka has a chance, but young and the rest goes to the seeding.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Last night was a fantastic game, despite some comments I read on Leamington's Facebook page. I haven't been that stressed and excited during our games in a long time. Had Leamington tied it and pushed it to OT, I'm not sure we would have won it.

There was something about yesterday that I was super excited for this game. I haven't been to Leamington in 2 years and I haven't used my cowbell all season, but I was all in last night. And this may sound crazy to most of you, but I know my Dad was there last night, I saw him during O Canada.

Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Keep that spirit alive RG! Good to see the Rockets pull off the Win! Good stuff!
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

This leamington/strathroy series is interesting. When do 8 seeds put up this much of a fight in the first round? Yes, it’s early, but 1-0, then an overtime game to follow. From the looks of things on gamesheets (haven’t seen a game), games seem close even in shots on net aside from one period. Is Strathroy this good? Pleasantly surprised to see how they’ve faired so far. I’m on the bandwagon. St. Thomas must have forgotten that playoffs started this week. Nationals have a very good roster, not many weaknesses. Shocked st Thomas had beaten them twice in a row to finish the season. Looking at the gamesheet, in a must win game, they put up 3 shots in back to back periods. Backs against the wall, wonder what they have up there sleeves, or do they lay down and count the days until training camp. I think the most likely upset, of any at all would be the kings. Young, fast, motivated. Chstham’s Coach is in over his head with this group. Lots of money spent on that roster. Owner gave the keys to a Ferrari to kid without his licence. Talent may take them past this round, but can see them running out of gas. How long can you ride 3 lines and 4 defenders?
Was tough to cal thenlasalle and sarnia series, both good teams. But where are the trade deadline pickups for sarnia?? Stoia and Barraclough aren’t even playing. Things are heating up in the west
ydnarhabs

Post by ydnarhabs »

Have to agree about Chatham coach. This guy hasn’t developed his young bench. He had ample opportunies to grow the young players but he obviously doesn’t realize that you need 4 lines to contend especially in the playoffs. Tonight they are down 4-0 going into the third period. Maroons are taking a lot of penalties which could be fatigue. Will he change his ways? Not likely , he’ll kkeep going to the well with his same 6-7 forwards and 3-4 D. Hope they can turn it around but the longer the series goes the tougher it will be for the players.
If you’ve got a young prospect you might want to find out who coaches the team next year.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

I agree with SugarK and ydnarhabs re: Chatham Coach! Not shocked at their current playoff situation at all!
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

3 of the 4 series go tonight and here are my bold predictions for the evening:

St Thomas is done and both Strathroy and Chatham will win to tie up their series 2-2.

Let's go further, Sarnia is done tomorrow.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

I would tend to agree with those except for Chatham! Maroons D/Goaltending seem a bit little skaky/
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

So much for my bold predictions tonight.
Queen of the GOJHL

flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

0 for 3
End of a era in Leamington
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

1 for 3 for me!
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

That's why they're predictions and not spoilers.
Queen of the GOJHL

Allegoryofthecave

Post by Allegoryofthecave »

Any thoughts on whats up with Chatham? Down 3-1? Never expected that.
hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

Allegoryofthecave wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:28 pm Any thoughts on whats up with Chatham? Down 3-1? Never expected that.
It's called 'insanity'... doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting different results.

Komoka players deserves the wins so far, they've been tenacious and definitely the more hungry team. Kudos to the coach for keep the guys motivated and following their game plan. Kudos to the young Komoka team for having heart and working hard.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

I have an idea for tomorrow night's game. Swap current Maroons coach for Maroons former and current Komoka coach
Horvath, Chatham wins!
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Sometimes teams are good on paper, some teams are good on the ice. Chathams problem has been that the game is not played on paper. Bottom line forking out money doesn't guarantee a championship as happened last year with the Caledonia Corvairs. Now add in a rookie coach going head to head against a veteran coach that has a history of winning and knows many of your players better than the current coach, this is what happens.

London over St Thomas, no surprise there other than the Stars didn't get swept.

LaSalle sweeping Sarnia is very disappointing for the Legionnaires. Injuries and Christmas defections hurt Sarnia, a team that made several off ice changes with the basic goal of getting past the 1st round. Special teams were a huge factor.

Despite the 3-1 deficit, Strathroy has given Leamington a tough battle. This series could easily be tied, however the Rockets cant afford to give Leamington many powerplays going forward. 4 of the Flyers last 10 goals have come with the man advantage.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Well, my boys season has come to an end. I wasn't there tonight, but I'm so proud of them! They didn't roll over because of where they finished and who they were playing and they fought to the end.

And hey, we weren't the first team knocked out!
Queen of the GOJHL

Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Absolutely! Kudos to the Rockets they deserve a tip of the Hat! Hold your heads up high gentlemen starting from Staff to all the Players.