Prospects Games & Showcase

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Drummer

Prospects Games & Showcase

Post by Drummer »

With things starting to sort themselves with the OHA, anyone have any info if the Prospect games are going to happen? Also, any word on a rescheduled showcase? When would they typically announce the games/rosters?
RocketGirl

Re: Prospects Games & Showcase

Post by RocketGirl »

Dec 27 in Waterloo.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Drummer

Post by Drummer »

Thanks, I know that date is on the GOJHL site. However, I was hoping for a little more info. Given how the last 3 months have gone, we all know a date on a website doesn't mean much. Showcase had a schedule posted and it didn't happen.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I doubt there will be a Showcase this season. Without all 25 teams on board, the games wouldn't count towards the season, and it's a lot of money to spend for exhibition games.

The Prospects Game should go as planned, just interested to see if all 25 teams will be represented.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

I doubt the non GOJHL Inc teams would be allowed to send anyone since this an Inc function. It will likely exclude all 19 and 20 year olds as has been past practice for the last couple of seasons
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

All teams are now GOJHL Inc except Lockport, Fort Erie and Pelham.
BeenThereDoneThat

Players from all 25 teams will be allowed to participate
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I must say I was disappointed in the Hockey TV broadcasts of these two games. Unlike last year there was no play by play or colour commentary. It is very difficut to follow when you aren't familiar with the players and their numbers (if you can even read numbers from that distance) however on the positive side I did learn a great deal about the teenage girl who was running the camera and her friend as they chatted throughout both broadcasts. If I was a scout tuning in to observe some players I would have been very disappointed at the broadcast and the lack of professionalism and attention to detail of our league.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Hockey TV broadcasts in the GOJHL are generally much lower in quality compared to the Junior A leagues. Some have a single camera set high in a corner to capture the entire ice surface with no audio at all. Shooting through mesh isn't ideal but with many arena set ups there is little choice. Lack of a play by play announcer really diminishes the broadcasts as well. Many of the Junior A broadcasts have clear video with multiple camera angles on the ice surface, some even use overhead cameras. Play by play and colour commentators are the norm, some of the teams near the Quebec border even do bilingual broadcasts. As far as gate attendance goes, it seems that it is common place for the teams with the better quality broadcasts to have better and louder crowds in the stands. As for players, coaches, fans, parents, agents and scouts, Hockey TV also gives subscribers the option to watch any game video on demand. Increasing the quality of this tool may be something the powers that be in the GOJHL should consider going forward.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Wednesday I suffered through another LaSalle Viper broadcast when they played Strathroy. There is no audio in LaSalle - just dead air. Now I know what it is like to be deaf and go to a hockey game. LaSalle has been that way for the past couple years as has Strathroy. Due to some sort of difficulties - I've been told camera, I've been told computer - there has been no broadcasts in Strathroy since late October. West convenor Mark Tuck instructed all West teams to have play by play this season. London, Leamington, St. Thomas, Sarnia and St. Marys do on most games. Obviously LaSalle and Strathroy do not - Chatham and Komoka do not either. In the Midwest only Brampton has play by play. Brantford has no broadcasts at all. In the Golden Horseshoe, Hamilton and Lockport - yes Lockport! - has play by play. Niagara Falls belongs to the same club as LaSalle and Strathroy and chooses to have dead air - not a fun way to watch a game. If you want to be consdered a professionally run league you must do things in a professional manner. Hockey TV does not create a good impression for anyone - fans, family or scouts. Certainly not a good recruiting tool. Watching a BCHL game on Hockey TV is like watching an OHL game - mutiple camera angles, play by play, graphics, replays, etc.
Last edited by Marcie on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

BCHL broadcasts are typical of many of the other junior A leagues. I have been to Komoka and often they have a guy standing near the camera doing play by play, maybe they should hook him up to a mic.
BeenThereDoneThat

As long as you keep subscribing to the third class broadcasting, it will continue. Cancel your subscriptions to all Jr.B games (if that is possible) and force the broadcasting to improve. Its money in every jr.b teams pocket and I'm sure if it becomes lost revenue to the teams , it will force Tuck to mandate changes to improve what people are paying for.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Sadly, the way HTV is set up you can't just unsubscribe to a particular league. It is all or nothing.