The OHA

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

BeenThereDoneThat

The OHA

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

This week its OJHL game in Brantford that is cancelled for tonight. Last week it was the GOJHL Inc. Showcase that was postponed.
The reason for both of these actions (no matter what you've been told ) was because the OHA refused to assign game officials. There is a serious problem here and the common denominator is the OHA. Is the OHA so hungry to maintain power that they don't seen to care if they destroy the leagues they are supposed to support. What the leagues want is self governance, the same as most junior leagues in Canada. What is the OHA afraid of, are the afraid of becoming redundant, too late they already are. I was also informed this morning that one of the OHA Directors resigned this week because he did not want to be associated with the incompetent and irrational decisions and lies that were coming out of the OHA office.

Where is the OHF and Hockey Canada on these issues. Both groups are aware of the problems the OJHL and the GOJHL Inc. are having with the OHA.
The decisions being made by the OHA in the long run could affect over 1000 players in the OJHL and the GOJHL Inc. It appears the OHA has little concern for the players based on their actions over the last few months. I would have thought that by now Hockey Canada would have stepped in and made changes, where changes needed to be made. Maybe they did and we are just not aware of them yet. If they haven't, lets hope they do so soon. There's two sides to every story and I'm not naive enough to think that the two junior leagues don't have issues but the issues they have will be cleared up with the new Governance Committee being formed to resolve most if not all of these issues
richard

Re: The OHA

Post by richard »

Need a new southern Ontario hockey committe under hockey Canada to offer junior and senior teams in southern Ontario at a more affordable price and put an end to dictatorship. As past owner operator it is long overdue for best interst of teams and players in southern Ontario.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

These decisions or lack there of are not only an embarrassment to hockey in Ontario, but they are now affecting the players who should be the most important consideration but seem to be more of an afterthought. This should be about them and the game. The inefficient ostriches from the OHA should have made a timely desicion on the OJHL relocation of Milton. Instead of approving or disallowing the move, they allowed the Brantford group to commit to ice in Brantford instead of Milton, resulting in a commitment to ice in Brantford players tto relocate to Brantford, including some players have changed schools and moved there. The OHA sat back and waited until now to speak up that they hadn't actually approved the transfer. Now what? Are they thinking that the Brantford ownership group can just grab some ice in Milton to suit the season schedule, the players can just find new billets in Milton and register the next day in Milton schools? How nieve can they be. They must have known about the GOJHL turmoil before the end of last season and still kept their heads buried in the sand until the end of August when they decided that GOJHL INC was not in compliance so they shutdown the showcase. Did they realy think that GOJHL INC was going to treat teams that refused the prescribed player fees the same as their members or did the think the teams would all decide to pay the fees inspite of their assertions about the fees structure and no clear definition of they were optional or mandatory. Simply put the OHA seems to give no guidance or opinions about how the leagues should operate. They allow league and team operators to do whatever they want but if they is an issue they will only take action when it is too late to alter plans without a major embarrassing disruption that affects the players more than anyone. Hockey Canada and the OHF need to take over the OHA and operate it properly until suitable people can be retained. The OHL did just that with the Flint Firebirds when they were operating to the detriment of the sport no reason it can't happen here. Impeachment maybe the best course of action to start with.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

And the dominoes continue to fall.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180914-153632_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20180914-153632_Twitter.jpg (131.74 KiB) Viewed 35965 times
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

The story on Strauch resigning his position.

https://www.stratfordbeaconherald.co ... versy
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
richard

Post by richard »

Hard to believe someone would accept this position in first place with his health the way it was. Good luck in future to him and hopefully oha wakes up or get their crowns straightened up so hockey games from here on in can now be enjoyed without this nonsense.
arenaguy99

Post by arenaguy99 »

After reading that article i am surprised the OHA hasn't responded with their usual finger pointing response blaming everyone else but themselves
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

The OHA has likely been advised by their legal team to remain silent, any statement on their part can be used as evidence against them.
BeenThereDoneThat

Well if they were advised to remain silent, it didn't last long. Old poison pen was at it last night, sending out a letter to all teams. She blamed everybody except herself for her lack of managing a situation that has gone completely out of control. For the good of the sport, HC, step in and remove her.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

According to the OJ board, Tom Renney is supposed to come down this week.

I spoke to someone on the weekend and asked how is the OHA structured, since it feels like Karen is just a puppet. I was told that theoretically, she is at the top, because she's President, but Brad Grant is the one pulling the strings. I was also told that Karen's term ends December 31 and will not be renewed.
Queen of the GOJHL

HockeyDad1

Post by HockeyDad1 »

'After Darren DeDobbelaer bought the Icehawks in 2017, he requested to move the team to Brantford earlier this year. According to DeDobbelaer, the OHA did not respond to his request so the team went ahead and moved.'

https://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/sport ... n-icehawks

So he just moved it and expected everything to be ok? Sorry, if thats the case then I can't see why this is the OHA's fault. If I try to move a team without 100 percent confirmation its a go, thats on me, no?
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

HockeyDad1 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:14 pm 'After Darren DeDobbelaer bought the Icehawks in 2017, he requested to move the team to Brantford earlier this year. According to DeDobbelaer, the OHA did not respond to his request so the team went ahead and moved.'

So he just moved it and expected everything to be ok? Sorry, if thats the case then I can't see why this is the OHA's fault. If I try to move a team without 100 percent confirmation its a go, thats on me, no?
Why did the OHA sit back and watch DeDobbelaer set up shop in Brantford, move the Jr B team to another location, market the team as the Brantford 99ers Jr A allow players to be billeted in Brantford and attend schools in Brantford if everyone was going to have to commute to Milton. The OHA knew what was going on and allowed the owner to invest heavily in time and money. Just think for a second how this affects the players who moved to Brantford and are in school. The OHA could have prevented this by simply making a timely decision. The OHA allowed a franchise to set itself up for failure because they could make it happen. Going forward why would Mr DeDobbelaer want to waste his time and money on anything connected to the OHA, and why would players chose to play or accept a trade to the OJHL if this is how players and franchises are treated by their governing body?
BeenThereDoneThat

RagingBS,
Well stated and based on facts.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Saying for years that this province is ass-backwards and needs an overhaul!
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

RocketGirl wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:12 pm According to the OJ board, Tom Renney is supposed to come down this week.

I spoke to someone on the weekend and asked how is the OHA structured, since it feels like Karen is just a puppet. I was told that theoretically, she is at the top, because she's President, but Brad Grant is the one pulling the strings. I was also told that Karen's term ends December 31 and will not be renewed.
The real question is what does BG have on the board that allows him to control things behind the scenes???
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

HockeyDad1 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:14 pm 'After Darren DeDobbelaer bought the Icehawks in 2017, he requested to move the team to Brantford earlier this year. According to DeDobbelaer, the OHA did not respond to his request so the team went ahead and moved.'

I would think DD operated under the guise that OJHL had the final say on its member teams activites ( location, ownership, etc), which should be a league decision.
richard

Post by richard »

Would this situation have happened if Brent ladds was still in charge? What an avoidable mess. Heads should roll.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

What a sh!t show!!!
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

That is a "very big" mess going on there to say the least! Hopefully they have good replacements coming in to take charge in the most positive way for the good of the players and ultimately the future of the league!
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

The well being of the players needs to be the top priority at this point. Players with Brantford (aka Milton) in the OJHL and every team in the GOJHL have been adversely affected by the OHA's refusal to assign game officials protocol as a substitute for doing due diligence.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Queen of the GOJHL

oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

RocketGirl wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:28 pm And it continues.....

https://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com ... -for-now
For the membership to vote out the directors, they would need a significant # of members to vote to remove. If so why are the directors fighting this unless they have lost the confidence of the membership? If that is the case then the system works and they should be removed.
BeenThereDoneThat

I quote Mc Kee, "I thought we had a solution in June". News flash,you did but YOU failed to do the proper follow up to insure that all details that were agreed to at the June meeting were posted in the minutes of the meeting. When you were notified that portions of the agreement were left out of the OHF's report you ignored it.

I quote McKee again, " we are confused as everyone" you confuse everyone with your lack of leadership and skills in not being able to resolve this issue that has now grown into a major issue for all that are involved.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

the OHF should be able to deal in good faith with the OHA but learnt the hard way ...just like the OJHL and GOJHL Inc.
OHA has numerous skeletons in the closet that require a complete change up on the board for them to ever be revealed to the membership.
we are talking years of financial impropriety that will result in numerous legal wranglings for the foreseeable future

Allegedly... :P

it is just too sad really
Jamtart

Post by Jamtart »

OMG? Just learning about this ongoing saga. Can someone PLEASE tell me in simple terms how this drama started, what is now going on and how it will be solved.
I don't think we need another daytime soap opera.
TIA
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

President Karen Phibbs has resigned.
Queen of the GOJHL

BeenThereDoneThat

To the surprise of nobody.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Big win today for the GOJHL Inc!!!!
Blades

Post by Blades »

What happened? Maybe a link to an article?
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Seth

Post by Seth »

The vote was 58-47 to oust the OHA board. Special Meeting tomorrow night where Tom Strauch is supposed to be appointed the new President. Everything for this year stays the same, any changes would take affect next season.