2018/2019 Schedule

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

flyers2011

Re: 2018/2019 Schedule

Post by flyers2011 »

heard their was suppose to be a decision Saturday, has anyone heard anything ?
End of a era in Leamington
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

A decision by whom?
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I have heard a few false rumours about specific teams that sources say originate with GOJHL Inc based team executive. I have lost count how many times a final decision was going to be made. Someone needs to make a binding decision that carries through the 2018-19 season. If Inc insists on separate B leagues then start the process for 2019-20. I am sure a few players parents would like to know where the money is coming from to bank roll what seems like an endless series of appeals to institute something that isnt feasible for this season.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

The Inc appealed to the OHF which means the decision is in the hands of an arbitrator right now.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

If the Arbitrator rules in favour of the OHA, does Inc appeal to Hockey Canada next?
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

RagingBS wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:35 pm If the Arbitrator rules in favour of the OHA, does Inc appeal to Hockey Canada next?
Very good question. They will try I would assume
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Either way this issue won't be settled this year. A solution needs to be imposed by either the OHF or Hockey Canada if this drags on much longer. If Inc wants to split the league up, they can plan it for 2019-20 when all can do what is best for the players involved. That is whos interests the league should be putting first.
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

Has anyone heard what the situation is? Has a formal decision been made?
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

No! But in 17 days I will be in Hamilton watching a hole bunch of GOJHL season games! I think? We'll that's the plan anyway.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Try writing a start of season and overview of changes article, and not have a clue what's happening to be able to write about it.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

The OHA is also behind on player appeals, I know their are multiple players wanting out of leamington but still haven't got dates yet.
End of a era in Leamington
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Historically, the GOJHL has never communicated very well with its fan base, however independently persons have used this forum, Twitter, Facebook and their individual sites to keep the fans engaged. This year is different. There is a squabble going on between two blocks of teams. With this issue unsettled, it seems like most of the league is operating under a gag order not to disclose any points of contention. Perhaps to avoid discussing those issues many teams seem reluctant to release any information including returning players. A significant number of teams are not even using the online scoring for exibition games keeping the fan base out of the loop even more. A few exceptions like the St Mary's Lincoln's have attempted to keep their fans in the loop through their own social media accounts, however for those who don't follow them there is nothing. Many have noted that attendance fell last season. By keeping fans, scouts and media out of the information loop will drive attendance numbers lower and in turn hurt all 25 teams and their players equally regardless of their stance on the GOJHL fee and/or any other issues of contention. A preview into the league rises interest and fuels discussion that makes the league more appealing to fans scouts and future prospects. They all read.

Hopefully the league and it's 25 members realize shortly that no press is the worst kind of press to have.

Best of luck getting a preview done before mid September.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

flyers2011 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:56 pm The OHA is also behind on player appeals, I know their are multiple players wanting out of leamington but still haven't got dates yet.
I did see somewhere that Jayden Fetter is playing in Merritt (BCHL) this year. Leamington isn't the only team having more trouble than usual retaining veteran players. It wouldn't surprise me to see the average age in the league be very close to 18.00 this year. Some teams may actually have more 16 years than 20 year olds.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Yes! Lots of "Good" Junior B players jumping ship to PJHL!!
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

20 year olds get lured to the PJHL every year to play an extra year. 2018-19 is no exception. What is different are the number of 20 year old players going to the OJHL, the NOJHL, the WSHL and other leagues this year. You would be a fool to assume the PJHL is the only alternative for then.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Lots of alternative for sure! But the players I see coming down to play PJHL aren't 20 they are more in the 17 to 18 year range. They tell me because its close to home, they can sleep in their own beds and still be treated the same as if they were playing A or B!! Much cheaper if I might add also.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

If you ask players and owners why players are choosing other leagues you will get very different answers. Players will cite cost, cages, lack of exposure, poor rule enforcement and a too many unknowns. Owners claim some players are greedy, letter chasing, lack commitment, gullible victims of poachers that are easily replaced and a very few and far between. All is good according to some. Some observers assume that because players parents have paid thousands of dollars to play AAA hockey for 5-8 years they will be willing to continue to pay as much or more for another 4 years. It is like assuming you will be willing to keep paying mortgage payments because you always have. Reality is many players are going into college or university (pay to attend school) so that is where that money spent on minor hockey will be going if the player is going to play Jr it will be on their own dime from their summer or part time job.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Showcase Schedule has been released --- only 18 teams involved. Pelham, Brantford, Brampton, Buffalo, Fort Erie, Hamilton and London not scheduled.
haylo

Post by haylo »

That’s great to hear. Where is it posted?
The league must not realize the delay in scheduling has broader impacts than just hockey. Kids need to coordinate with school schedules and even work schedules.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Nothing yet on the league website. With less than a full complement of teams it may just go down as an exhibition tournament and the other teams can do their own tournament whenever/if they see fit. The games shouldn't count in the standings. I am not sure refering to it as a "League Showcase" is the right thing to do. It is misleading if the entire league doesn't attend.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

All 25 teams had the option of entering the Showcase or not. Good for the GOJHL.Inc to step forward and run this event and good for the Canucks, Blackhawks and Canadians to put the best interest of their players before all else.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

RagingBS wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:53 pm Nothing yet on the league website. With less than a full complement of teams it may just go down as an exhibition tournament and the other teams can do their own tournament whenever/if they see fit. The games shouldn't count in the standings. I am not sure refering to it as a "League Showcase" is the right thing to do. It is misleading if the entire league doesn't attend.
I think the teams can schedule regular season games whenever/wherever they see fit...I would think these are all league games

If you choose to not attend ( and not have 150+ college scouts see your players plus other leagues) that's on you as an owner/organization

no matter how you stand on the whole OHA/GOJHL INC drama, sitting this one out is only hurting the kids

18 out of 25 say lets do it...sounds like a majority to me
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Here's an update on the schedule situation. Apparently, they have two completed schedules ready to go depending on the final decision.

http://www.bpsportsniagara.ca/falcons-may-fly-away/
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

RagingBS wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:53 pm Nothing yet on the league website. With less than a full complement of teams it may just go down as an exhibition tournament and the other teams can do their own tournament whenever/if they see fit. The games shouldn't count in the standings. I am not sure refering to it as a "League Showcase" is the right thing to do. It is misleading if the entire league doesn't attend.
Excluding London, you've got the best of the league's teams so I would still call it a showcase. Not having Buffalo and Pelham is probably a good thing.. I've heard that Pelham wanted to host the showcase in the new arena which would have been a good thing but not sure how they could host the GOJHL showcase when they have opted out of the league. I think the owner might be a little delusional to think he had a shot at it.
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

Your need to use better terminology there oldtymer. Pelham has NOT opted out of the league. They have only opted out of the Inc organization.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Pelham didn't opted out of the INC., they were told they were not wanted. Heard they were going to hold a Showcase the same weekend the GOJHL
.Inc are holding theirs but with Niagara Falls, Thorold and Welland choosing to go to the GOJHL.Inc's Showcase Pelham is left with only 7 teams. Maybe they can import some Jr.C's to bail them out like they did this weekend.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

zantimisfit wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:07 am Here's an update on the schedule situation. Apparently, they have two completed schedules ready to go depending on the final decision.

Why would the OHF entertain the idea of
forcing a league realignment that increases travel expenses for almost every team? How does Inc proposed to pay for these extra expenses? Just collect more from the players?

Assuming Incs realignment scheme fails and the showcase games were to count in the standings as Clairmont proposes, how would the final standings be calculated with teams playing varying amounts of games? Winning percentage instead of points? Should Inc get it's way how many of the 15 teams would make playoffs under Inc preferred plan? 8 Inc teams and 8 on the other side looks like the most logical way although I can see some owners and players not liking the 47% probability that an Inc team misses post season compared to 20% probability for Inc free teams.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

RagingBS wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:53 pm
zantimisfit wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:07 am Here's an update on the schedule situation. Apparently, they have two completed schedules ready to go depending on the final decision.

Why would the OHF entertain the idea of
forcing a league realignment that increases travel expenses for almost every team? How does Inc proposed to pay for these extra expenses? Just collect more from the players?

Assuming Incs realignment scheme fails and the showcase games were to count in the standings as Clairmont proposes, how would the final standings be calculated with teams playing varying amounts of games? Winning percentage instead of points? Should Inc get it's way how many of the 15 teams would make playoffs under Inc preferred plan? 8 Inc teams and 8 on the other side looks like the most logical way although I can see some owners and players not liking the 47% probability that an Inc team misses post season compared to 20% probability for Inc free teams.
Well they will have over 100 grand from the Inc teams in less than a week.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

This GOJHL disturbance that has unraveled over the summer has me really wondering what its going to look like in 365 days from now?
18 teams here, 7 teams there. It just makes no sense? I kind of feel bad for those that work/donate their free time for the GOJHL that want to do the right thing for the kids/teams that are stuck shaking there heads as they try to move forward with things.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

The damage has been done. I doubt that some of these teams can operate in a co operative setting again. There is just too much bad blood now. Looking forward to 2019-20, the OHA will be more open to the OJHL locating some teams further West. London maybe an ideal market for this. Inc clubs will be overall better this year, but watch for older players to ask for trades to the other league since Inc offers very limited benefits at a higher cost for the older player. The other league will likely have its own showcase and an all star game to market their top players to NCAA and CIS for the upcoming season. Inc will run with its philosophy that players and payers are synonyms and it will become a younger but more expensive league that it is now. Scouts that live in the GTA will still mainly watch the teams within a 1 hour drive, the US based scouts will primarily watch games within 30 minutes of the border. Jr B players will continue to move to JrA teams for better exposure some leaving Ontario because the OJHL isn't the only place to move up to, however with more teams in the West some players will choose to stay close to home. All in all 2 competing Jr B leagues will give players the choice of system that they believe will work to help them achieve their goals. Everyone should be able to get their ducks in a row before this season ends. Next summer won't have as much controversy as this one has.