2018/2019 Schedule

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Letterkenny68

2018/2019 Schedule

Post by Letterkenny68 »

Has anyone seen a schedule as of yet? Website doesn't even have exhibition games posted. WTH!
Love our game

Re: 2018/2019 Schedule

Post by Love our game »

Nope, none of it is out yet? Lots of Junior B kids jumping ship to PJHL and OJHL as a result from the of lack of info. Just doesn't seem fair to the players and their families which are the foundation of it all? Puck drop only 30 days away. I sure
it will all work out but seems like a pretty crammed timeline.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

nobody jumping anywhere

nice try
haylo

Post by haylo »

@coachFloyd...I do think there is some merit to the comment about players leaving for the PJHL and OJHL. Amid the uncertainty and complete lack of communication about what this GOJHL season is going to look like we are definitely keeping our options open even though we are verbally ‘committed’ to a JrB team already. Teams from the other leagues have called and the last thing I want for my son is to be in a game of musical chairs where hockey is concerned. If something, like an update or schedule, is not provided soon we aren’t waiting for the music to stop to see if he will have a place to play. I know of half dozen kids in our area (Western) who have already opted to play elsewhere after playing in the GOJHL last season. I do know one issue for some older kids was the league fee and the team fee. For those paying their own way at 19,20 the ~$2k hit is a lot and can make JrC look like a better option.. I sincerely hope the GOJHL gets its act together as I truly believe it is a great league and would love for my son to play in it.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Hearing an announcement is coming from the OHA this week. Or so they say.
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

I don't think I'm going to hold my breath the way things have been going!
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

haylo wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:47 pm @coachFloyd...I do think there is some merit to the comment about players leaving for the PJHL and OJHL. Amid the uncertainty and complete lack of communication about what this GOJHL season is going to look like we are definitely keeping our options open even though we are verbally ‘committed’ to a JrB team already. Teams from the other leagues have called and the last thing I want for my son is to be in a game of musical chairs where hockey is concerned. If something, like an update or schedule, is not provided soon we aren’t waiting for the music to stop to see if he will have a place to play. I know of half dozen kids in our area (Western) who have already opted to play elsewhere after playing in the GOJHL last season. I do know one issue for some older kids was the league fee and the team fee. For those paying their own way at 19,20 the ~$2k hit is a lot and can make JrC look like a better option.. I sincerely hope the GOJHL gets its act together as I truly believe it is a great league and would love for my son to play in it.
True, OHA/league/team fees play a far greater role in kids leaving GOJHL...why pay $2-4 K when the dream is over...with a lot of PJHL teams flush with cash it only makes sense to be looked after
leaving for the OJHL to pay even more to play doesn't make any sense...there's nobody policing the fact that the bottom 2/3 of the team pay for the top 1/3 to be there...the 1/3 that have any hope of schooling or moving on to better hockey...not withstanding the 2 teams that pay for everything

guess what I'm trying to say is if you haven't been signed to a card in the OJHL by now you'll just be subsidizing the same guys that will get all the ice-time...and if you're not happy in that role you'll be sold back to GOJHL or PJHL at the Jan roster deadline ( Dec 1 if you want the extra year in PJHL)
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

London released their preseason schedule today - a pair of games each against Brantford and Stratford.
HockeyDad1

Post by HockeyDad1 »

Sorry, but hasnt the schedule been late every year for the last few years? Mid August is the new norm sadly.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

The GOJHL is always one of the last leagues to publish a schedule, but this is even late by their own standards. Their league showcase is only 4 weeks away. GOJHL Inc claims that the showcase is one of their events so it is still unknown if all teams will be attending with the squabble still unresolved.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Leamington preseason:
Wed. Aug. 22 and 23 at LaSalle 7:20 pm
Tues. Aug. 28 - at Chatham (Thames Campus) 7:20 pm
Thurs. Aug. 23 and 30 at home vs LaSalle and Chatham 7:10 pm
(I see under the new ownership group that there is 5 preseason games. They have had only 2 for the past few years.)
HockeyDad1

Post by HockeyDad1 »

The 2016/2017 Schedule was released August 16 (like seriously, camps started the same week)
http://gojhl.ca/view/gojhl/news-1625/news_459530

The 2017/2018 schedule was released August 9th (Still bad)
http://blackburnnews.com/sarnia/sarnia- ... -schedule/

How can the league complain about scouts going to games when they don't even give them a schedule to look at. Most D1 guys are already planning and the GOJHL is nothing but crickets.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

RagingBS wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:06 pm The GOJHL is always one of the last leagues to publish a schedule, but this is even late by their own standards. Their league showcase is only 4 weeks away. GOJHL Inc claims that the showcase is one of their events so it is still unknown if all teams will be attending with the squabble still unresolved.
If the schedule doesn't exist I guess at best the showcase is "Tentatively" 4 weeks away
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

HockeyDad1 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:29 pm The 2016/2017 Schedule was released August 16 (like seriously, camps started the same week)
http://gojhl.ca/view/gojhl/news-1625/news_459530

The 2017/2018 schedule was released August 9th (Still bad)
http://blackburnnews.com/sarnia/sarnia- ... -schedule/

How can the league complain about scouts going to games when they don't even give them a schedule to look at. Most D1 guys are already planning and the GOJHL is nothing but crickets.
Exactly. They must consider the GOJHL very mickey mouse.

No wonder the schedule always seems to be such a mess. It must get thrown together last minute each season.

Was there ever a meeting this week?
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

Commisioner is sure earning his money. Scout putting together their schedule to watch games and this jokeshow has no schedule still. That's money well spent by the player isn't it?
Jumpin

Post by Jumpin »

The Inc group has a camp listed what they set out to do. They have destroyed a great league. People question the greed factor!!! Well there is no question that greed and arrogance are the factors. The good thing is that Hockey will continue on without them and be better and stronger without each and everyone of them. They truly have forgotten what the game is about. Someone said the Showcase is the GOJHL Inc’s. Not so!!! Showcase was started and ran by the OHA and the conferences. It was never the Inc’s. The INc gets to take credit for making it a mess.
FedUpSeenEnough

Post by FedUpSeenEnough »

Not that I really give a sh** one way or another, but I'm pretty sure 'they' said that Inc. PAYS for the showcase, so ya, that kinda makes it theirs by default.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Letterkenny68 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:35 pm Commisioner is sure earning his money. Scout putting together their schedule to watch games and this jokeshow has no schedule still. That's money well spent by the player isn't it?
Schedule isn't made by the commissioner...
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Jumpin wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:24 am The Inc group has a camp listed what they set out to do. They have destroyed a great league. People question the greed factor!!! Well there is no question that greed and arrogance are the factors. The good thing is that Hockey will continue on without them and be better and stronger without each and everyone of them. They truly have forgotten what the game is about. Someone said the Showcase is the GOJHL Inc’s. Not so!!! Showcase was started and ran by the OHA and the conferences. It was never the Inc’s. The INc gets to take credit for making it a mess.
Okay, Tim Toffolo.
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

Commissioner may not do the schedule but the buck has to stop with the top buffoon.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Letterkenny68 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:04 pm Commissioner may not do the schedule but the buck has to stop with the top buffoon.
So... the OHA then?
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

What does a GOJHL Commissioner do? That is the $431,250 question. He has nothing to do with creating a league schedule or the release of information or even ensuring that issues are resolved in a timely manner. One has to ask what his function might be.
HockeyDad1

Post by HockeyDad1 »

ILuvHackey wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:22 pm
Letterkenny68 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:35 pm Commisioner is sure earning his money. Scout putting together their schedule to watch games and this jokeshow has no schedule still. That's money well spent by the player isn't it?
But its his job to make sure that its out in a timely manner. The last three years they've been the last league to release it. What was so bad about mid July schedule releases?
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

and sometimes the schedule doesn't get done as certain teams are unable to confirm icetimes until they get their finances(debt) in order with the local arena/municipality
they should have that put to bed the same time they can sign players and collect their team/league/OHA fees- June 1
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

RagingBS wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:56 pm What does a GOJHL Commissioner do? That is the $431,250 question. He has nothing to do with creating a league schedule or the release of information or even ensuring that issues are resolved in a timely manner. One has to ask what his function might be.
If you think the Commish makes 440K, you're smoking something I'd love to try.
HockeyDad1 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:59 am
But its his job to make sure that its out in a timely manner. The last three years they've been the last league to release it. What was so bad about mid July schedule releases?
He's a new commissioner from what I've been told.

I think everyone is in favor of early releases, but behind the scenes things have prevented it the last few years, like trying to kick out teams.
coachFloyd wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 am and sometimes the schedule doesn't get done as certain teams are unable to confirm icetimes until they get their finances(debt) in order with the local arena/municipality
they should have that put to bed the same time they can sign players and collect their team/league/OHA fees- June 1
League tried to boot teams that brought a bad name and had some of these issues. The OHA stopped it. They seem to love keeping the GOJ down.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

RagingBS wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:56 pm What does a GOJHL Commissioner do? That is the $431,250 question. He has nothing to do with creating a league schedule or the release of information or even ensuring that issues are resolved in a timely manner. One has to ask what his function might be.
one of the GOJHL Commissioners jobs is to deal with upset parents that paid the $750 GOJHL fee directly to their kids team and then find out it was never forwarded to the GOJHL...takes up a little time :lol:
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

ILuvHackey wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:08 am

If you think the Commish makes 440K, you're smoking something I'd love to try.

23 rostered players X 25 teams X $750 = $431250 representing GOJHL Inc proposed revenue. Obviously with 7 teams no longer drinking the koolaid revenue will be less.
HockeyDad1 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:59 am

I think everyone is in favor of early releases, but behind the scenes things have prevented it the last few years, like trying to kick out teams.

Being new at the job isn't an excuse for not getting things done on time. What else won't get done properly because the commissioner is a rookie? Allegedly their is a showcase in St Catherines that presumably the "commissioner" should be recruiting scouts for but their is no schedule for it either. Players are expected to show for main camps this week and yet not even an official exhibition schedule. As for schedule releases the GOJHL has always been late but this year seems to be extremely slow due to the squabble.
coachFloyd wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 am and sometimes the schedule doesn't get done as certain teams are unable to confirm icetimes until they get their finances(debt) in order with the local arena/municipality
League tried to boot teams that brought a bad name and had some of these issues. The OHA stopped it. They seem to love keeping the GOJ down.
The OHA needs to step up and take control of this league or it will end up being a shitshow like the OJHL. The GOJHL is their JrB league and they need to take control and responsibility of it. As for GOJH
L Inc trying to kick out some teams, there are reasons they haven't been successful in excluding their fellow league members.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

coachFloyd wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:08 pm
one of the GOJHL Commissioners jobs is to deal with upset parents that paid the $750 GOJHL fee directly to their kids team and then find out it was never forwarded to the GOJHL...takes up a little time :lol:
So this is an excuse for not having a schedule published? Furthermore how would the players know that Inc didn't get their $750. Has this fee been explained to parents and players 18 and older? Does GOJHL Inc ever issue financial statements to parents? What happens with excess revenues? Are teams refunded money that should be returned to the players or is GOJHL Inc a for profit corporation? Most parents don't even know that The GOJHL and GOJHL Inc are not the same entity.
HockeyDad1

Post by HockeyDad1 »

ILuvHackey wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:08 am

Its stillt he same issues and its really not that hard.

In April, you start to prepare the schedule, while also trying to kick out the teams that you want out. Set a date, say June 1st.

If you don't get confirmation from your bosses (in this case the OHF) that the teams you don't want in the league are out, then you move forward as is.

You can't keep trying to push it and push it later and later, it causes crap like this that only really hurts the kids themselves. I mean the GTHL now has released their starting schedule, minor hockey is doing their schedules. If every other Tier 2 league can get theirs out by late July or early August, then its not that hard to do, the GOJHL makes it hard.

You obviously know that there will be an issue in January with regards to teams, start working on it then, not in June.

you might as well cancel the showcase at this stage, its in 3 weeks, how do scouts plan their schedule with little to no notice?
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

It is likely too late to cancel. They will have booked for most of the weekend. The facility is likely not interested in buying back 75 hours of ice without a significant financial penalty this late.