GOJHL AGM Today

Hockey Talk

Moderators: Blades, RocketGirl

RagingBS
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 11:13 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by RagingBS » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:08 am

Why does the GOJHL site still show 3 divisions if there are only 2 now and if teams like London and Brampton are not in the league then why are their transactions still showing on same site with the GOJHL Inc teams if they aren't in the same league anymore?




ILuvHackey
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:26 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by ILuvHackey » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:19 am

RagingBS wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:08 am
Why does the GOJHL site still show 3 divisions if there are only 2 now and if teams like London and Brampton are not in the league then why are their transactions still showing on same site with the GOJHL Inc teams if they aren't in the same league anymore?
Why did the transactions only show up within the last 2-3 weeks when teams were signing players June 1?

Maybe because it takes time...........

RagingBS
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 11:13 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by RagingBS » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:04 pm

So the site can't even be kept up to date? Someone took the time to update Hamilton and Lockport as teams but cant update these new rumoured divisions? And you ask why players are reluctant to fork over another $750 of their hard earned money annually.

coachFloyd
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:08 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by coachFloyd » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:31 pm

trades only get posted when the team reports them not when completed on HC database

how much control does the OHA have on the Pointstreak...I heard the GOJHL was going to use another system but was told they couldnt

ILuvHackey
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:26 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by ILuvHackey » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:29 pm

RagingBS wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:04 pm
So the site can't even be kept up to date? Someone took the time to update Hamilton and Lockport as teams but cant update these new rumoured divisions? And you ask why players are reluctant to fork over another $750 of their hard earned money annually.
The teams update pointstreak individually. And this rumor about divisions is fairly new if true. So no I dont see why it would be completely updated right away especially when they are still going through the process of schedule and such.

Players have forked over the GOJHL fee for years. It hasn't seemed to be a problem. Even the best leagues like the NAHL have fees (bullets etc). Its par the course when teams have to break even to sustain themselves.

Considering how much is spent in AAA, GOJHL costs are peanuts

RagingBS
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 11:13 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by RagingBS » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:09 pm

ILuvHackey wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:29 pm
RagingBS wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:04 pm
So the site can't even be kept up to date? Someone took the time to update Hamilton and Lockport as teams but cant update these new rumoured divisions? And you ask why players are reluctant to fork over another $750 of their hard earned money annually.
The teams update pointstreak individually. And this rumor about divisions is fairly new if true. So no I dont see why it would be completely updated right away especially when they are still going through the process of schedule and such.

Players have forked over the GOJHL fee for years. It hasn't seemed to be a problem. Even the best leagues like the NAHL have fees (bullets etc). Its par the course when teams have to break even to sustain themselves.

Considering how much is spent in AAA, GOJHL costs are peanuts
I don't know many junior players that carry guns so I would not have thought that purchasing bullets would have been an issue. Most of the best leagues are not pay to play including the NAHL. This is another false statement. See example below

"Jamestown Rebels & North American Hockey League Overview
The Jamestown Rebels are an American Junior hockey team that plays in the 43-year-old North American Hockey League. The premise of the Rebels, and the league itself, is to help aspiring 16 – 20 year olds in their quest to achieve their goal of a better education through collegiate hockey. The Rebels are a non-pay to play team."

The North American Hockey League is the only USA Hockey sanctioned Tier II Junior league consisting of 24 teams from across North America. Over 1,000 players from the NAHL have made NCAA commitments during the past five years.

Some teams in the NAHL maybe pay to play but I highly doubt they would be the top ones. The OJHL has the reputation as the most expensive league, a lot based on the premise that AAA hockey cost is the bar and it is far from a top league.

Just because AAA players wear cages just like the GOJHL players do doesn't make them identical. Comparing junior hockey cost to AAA minor hockey isn't even relevant. In AAA a player can get his own sponsors to reduce or even eliminate team fees including registration, in junior all sponsor money goes to the team owners. Players can also be traded above board in junior, can be recruited without changing address and do not have to get a permission from the local team to pursue a better opportunity with another team at the same level.

Dr. Pepper
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:00 pm

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by Dr. Pepper » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:42 pm

Let's be real, if one needs to pay to play jr.hockey, one likely shouldn't be playing jr.hockey. As I have told many many parents of boys who are inquiring about AAA hockey, unless your kid is going to be playing on the top two lines and pp and pk, save your money and stay in your home center and affiliate up with the next age group. If you are on the bottom of the AAA team you are only being used to help pay bills and pay entry fees to go to better tournaments so as the top kids can be showcased, your son will only get frustrated and you will get pissed off watching the top 6-8 players play the majority of the game while your son plays 5-6 meaningless minutes.
Junior hockey is no different, if you are being asked to pay so you can play you are only financing the team so they can afford to bring in the top guys who not only don't have to pay to play but rather getting paid to play.
If you are a bubble jr. b player you can go play jr. c where there are lots of teams throwing money around like candy

RagingBS
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 11:13 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by RagingBS » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:05 pm

Very well put.

oldtymer
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:14 pm

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by oldtymer » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:03 pm

RagingBS wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:09 pm
ILuvHackey wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:29 pm
RagingBS wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:04 pm
So the site can't even be kept up to date? Someone took the time to update Hamilton and Lockport as teams but cant update these new rumoured divisions? And you ask why players are reluctant to fork over another $750 of their hard earned money annually.
The teams update pointstreak individually. And this rumor about divisions is fairly new if true. So no I dont see why it would be completely updated right away especially when they are still going through the process of schedule and such.

Players have forked over the GOJHL fee for years. It hasn't seemed to be a problem. Even the best leagues like the NAHL have fees (bullets etc). Its par the course when teams have to break even to sustain themselves.

Considering how much is spent in AAA, GOJHL costs are peanuts
I don't know many junior players that carry guns so I would not have thought that purchasing bullets would have been an issue. Most of the best leagues are not pay to play including the NAHL. This is another false statement. See example below

"Jamestown Rebels & North American Hockey League Overview
The Jamestown Rebels are an American Junior hockey team that plays in the 43-year-old North American Hockey League. The premise of the Rebels, and the league itself, is to help aspiring 16 – 20 year olds in their quest to achieve their goal of a better education through collegiate hockey. The Rebels are a non-pay to play team."

The North American Hockey League is the only USA Hockey sanctioned Tier II Junior league consisting of 24 teams from across North America. Over 1,000 players from the NAHL have made NCAA commitments during the past five years.

Do you really think the Jamestown Rebels are a good example of the better way..... They appear to have moved 5 times in 5 years from Washington State to Hidalgo Texas to Rio Grande to Philadelphia and now to Jamestown. That does not seem like the way to consistently attract good players . Perhaps they should have had the players some amount so they would not move so much .

Some teams in the NAHL maybe pay to play but I highly doubt they would be the top ones. The OJHL has the reputation as the most expensive league, a lot based on the premise that AAA hockey cost is the bar and it is far from a top league.

Just because AAA players wear cages just like the GOJHL players do doesn't make them identical. Comparing junior hockey cost to AAA minor hockey isn't even relevant. In AAA a player can get his own sponsors to reduce or even eliminate team fees including registration, in junior all sponsor money goes to the team owners. Players can also be traded above board in junior, can be recruited without changing address and do not have to get a permission from the local team to pursue a better opportunity with another team at the same level.

oldtymer
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:14 pm

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by oldtymer » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Sorry I screwed up and appeared to have imbedded my comment in the previous comment. My question is why would any franchise want to be like the Jamestown Rebels . They have moved five times in five years (Washington state - Hidalgo Texas - Rio Grande - Philadelphia - Jamestown ) That does not seem like a very good model to follow

With regards to the pay to play issue, based on what I have heard , the dissenting teams charge their players at the upper limit. Why are these teams complaining about $750 when they charge substantially more than this amount.

Lastly - the dissenting teams don't want to pay the GOJHL but they want to still play against those teams who have paid their due to the GOJHL ? Wow - sounds like a great deal if you can get it. I can see why the remaining teams are not scheduling the dissenting teams into the schedule. Pay your GOJHL fees or form your own league under the OHA ... Too bad for Pelham as they would get to play in a brand new arena this coming year. Can't' see them getting very big crowds if they play Buffalo 20 times a year.

cchlounger
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by cchlounger » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:26 pm

I agree with much of what is expressed above.

Where I take exception, to a degree, is the theorizing that if you need to pay to play Junior A hockey, you aren't good enough for the level.

That's simply an inaccurate, untruthful statement and it's misleading.

At the core of the issue, whether you disagree or hate it or not, pay to play is here to stay and there's no point in rehashing the topic.

Sort of, get over it and move on, because it is what it is! to stay and there's no point in rehasing the t

Obviously there are examples where that theory is correct. But, pay to play is here to stay and it's a trend that will continue to proliferate our game, eventually landing in every single tier II league throughout North America.

Hockeylover321
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by Hockeylover321 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pm

RocketGirl wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:36 am
The West is the West, minus London. The East is the Midwest, minus Brantford and Brampton, plus St Catharines.
So if I've got this right............the East is Listowel, Elmira, Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Stratford and St Catharine's
The West is Lasalle, Sarnia, St. Mary's, Strathroy, St. Thomas, Leamington, Komoka and Chatham.

Does that mean the Horseshoe is gone from the GOJHL as we currently know it?

I have to say that being the Midwest, I sure won't miss Brampton or Brantford and despite the drive, St Catharine's will add some more depth to the division.

RocketGirl
Posts: 3056
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by RocketGirl » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:08 pm

That is correct. The teams that have decided against GOJHL Inc. are:

London, Brantford, Brampton, Niagara Falls, Thorold, Welland, Hamilton, Fort Erie, Pelham, and Lockport.

Basically, if a split is granted, which I don't think it has been yet, those 10 teams are free to form their own Jr B league under the OHA, much like when the Shoe left the GOJHL back in 2014.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.

User avatar
Blades
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: Watching some sport somewhere.

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by Blades » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:14 pm

Dr. Pepper wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 am
RocketGirl wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:36 am
The West is the West, minus London. The East is the Midwest, minus Brantford and Brampton, plus St Catharines.
Then it would only make sense to move St Marys to the East and save on travel for them and teams having to go there from the Windsor - Chatham area.
If you move St. Marys to the East then who do you send back to the West?
And am I counting correctly that currently there are 8 teams in each of the East and West?
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic

RocketGirl
Posts: 3056
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by RocketGirl » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:28 pm

There's 15 teams, so it's 8 in the West and 7 in the East.

I'm not sure moving St Marys makes a difference. LaSalle wouldn't need to go there anymore, but St Catharines would, and it's almost the same.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.

Marcie
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:25 am
Location: Strathroy

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by Marcie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:30 pm

If we go with just 15 teams I wonder what the playoff format will be.

Dr. Pepper
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:00 pm

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by Dr. Pepper » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:31 pm

RocketGirl wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:28 pm
There's 15 teams, so it's 8 in the West and 7 in the East.

I'm not sure moving St Marys makes a difference. LaSalle wouldn't need to go there anymore, but St Catharines would, and it's almost the same.
It would make a huge difference to St. Marys,,,, drive 2-3 times to St.Catherines (approx 187 km according to mapquest) and everyone else in your division is within an hour drive, or drive 2-3 times to Lasalle (236 km according to mapquest)) plus the drive to Leamington, Chatham, Sarnia, 2-3 times each as well, all well over an hours drive, not to mention the natural rivalry that St. Marys, Stratford and Listowel would kindle.
What difference would it make to the rest of the league weather there is 8 teams in the east or 8 teams in the west.
I am sure Lasalle, Leamington, Chatham would be just fine with not having to make those long winter nights drives to St. Marys.

ILuvHackey
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:26 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by ILuvHackey » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:04 am

RagingBS wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:09 pm
ILuvHackey wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:29 pm
RagingBS wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:04 pm
So the site can't even be kept up to date? Someone took the time to update Hamilton and Lockport as teams but cant update these new rumoured divisions? And you ask why players are reluctant to fork over another $750 of their hard earned money annually.
The teams update pointstreak individually. And this rumor about divisions is fairly new if true. So no I dont see why it would be completely updated right away especially when they are still going through the process of schedule and such.

Players have forked over the GOJHL fee for years. It hasn't seemed to be a problem. Even the best leagues like the NAHL have fees (bullets etc). Its par the course when teams have to break even to sustain themselves.

Considering how much is spent in AAA, GOJHL costs are peanuts
I don't know many junior players that carry guns so I would not have thought that purchasing bullets would have been an issue. Most of the best leagues are not pay to play including the NAHL. This is another false statement. See example below

"Jamestown Rebels & North American Hockey League Overview
The Jamestown Rebels are an American Junior hockey team that plays in the 43-year-old North American Hockey League. The premise of the Rebels, and the league itself, is to help aspiring 16 – 20 year olds in their quest to achieve their goal of a better education through collegiate hockey. The Rebels are a non-pay to play team."

The North American Hockey League is the only USA Hockey sanctioned Tier II Junior league consisting of 24 teams from across North America. Over 1,000 players from the NAHL have made NCAA commitments during the past five years.

Some teams in the NAHL maybe pay to play but I highly doubt they would be the top ones. The OJHL has the reputation as the most expensive league, a lot based on the premise that AAA hockey cost is the bar and it is far from a top league.

Just because AAA players wear cages just like the GOJHL players do doesn't make them identical. Comparing junior hockey cost to AAA minor hockey isn't even relevant. In AAA a player can get his own sponsors to reduce or even eliminate team fees including registration, in junior all sponsor money goes to the team owners. Players can also be traded above board in junior, can be recruited without changing address and do not have to get a permission from the local team to pursue a better opportunity with another team at the same level.
You're still incorrect. NAHL teams charge for billets. Which adds up to far more than the 1000-2000 that I've heard most of the GOJHL teams charge.

AND most GOJHL teams have programs for the players to find sponsorship dollars to cover all their costs.

At the end of the day, businesses aren't sponsoring like they used, fans aren't attending like they used to, and that leads to costs.

RagingBS
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 11:13 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by RagingBS » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:15 am

oldtymer wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:16 pm
Sorry I screwed up and appeared to have imbedded my comment in the previous comment. My question is why would any franchise want to be like the Jamestown Rebels . They have moved five times in five years (Washington state - Hidalgo Texas - Rio Grande - Philadelphia - Jamestown ) That does not seem like a very good model to follow

With regards to the pay to play issue, based on what I have heard , the dissenting teams charge their players at the upper limit. Why are these teams complaining about $750 when they charge substantially more than this amount.

Lastly - the dissenting teams don't want to pay the GOJHL but they want to still play against those teams who have paid their due to the GOJHL ? Wow - sounds like a great deal if you can get it. I can see why the remaining teams are not scheduling the dissenting teams into the schedule. Pay your GOJHL fees or form your own league under the OHA ... Too bad for Pelham as they would get to play in a brand new arena this coming year. Can't' see them getting very big crowds if they play Buffalo 20 times a year.
The "dissenting teams" for the most part see cost as a reason for key player departures. It shouldn't cost a player more to play at the Jr B level than Jr A, but it cost less or nothing to play Jr A in at least 4 Canadian leagues. As an example lets say a player pays 2K for league and team fees plus an additional 2K for billets for a total of 4K. Now compare that to the most expensive place in the BCHL. They have a max $200 fee to participate in their showcase. Teams have the option to charge up to $800 in team fee however all on the roster must pay an equal amount. If a player leaves they are paid a pro-rated refund at the time of departure. Teams are not allowed to charge for biilets and must supply coach bus transportation to all road games as well as hotel rooms and all meals while on the road. The only other out of pocket expense the player faces is moving at the beginning of the season and end. Like it or not the BCHL is the bar in junior hockey and the GOJHL loses good players there every year usually for a PDF often in the 5K range. If you think the quality in the BCHL is similar to the OJHL you are sadly mistaken. As the cost goes up the quality goes down, as the quality goes down so does attendance and revenue.

Unfortunately pay 2 play hockey is likely here to stay in the OHA for the forseeable future

ILuvHackey
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:26 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by ILuvHackey » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:46 am

RagingBS wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:15 am
The "dissenting teams" for the most part see cost as a reason for key player departures. It shouldn't cost a player more to play at the Jr B level than Jr A, but it cost less or nothing to play Jr A in at least 4 Canadian leagues. As an example lets say a player pays 2K for league and team fees plus an additional 2K for billets for a total of 4K. Now compare that to the most expensive place in the BCHL. They have a max $200 fee to participate in their showcase. Teams have the option to charge up to $800 in team fee however all on the roster must pay an equal amount. If a player leaves they are paid a pro-rated refund at the time of departure. Teams are not allowed to charge for biilets and must supply coach bus transportation to all road games as well as hotel rooms and all meals while on the road. The only other out of pocket expense the player faces is moving at the beginning of the season and end. Like it or not the BCHL is the bar in junior hockey and the GOJHL loses good players there every year usually for a PDF often in the 5K range. If you think the quality in the BCHL is similar to the OJHL you are sadly mistaken. As the cost goes up the quality goes down, as the quality goes down so does attendance and revenue.

Unfortunately pay 2 play hockey is likely here to stay in the OHA for the forseeable future
Not understanding supply and demand, I guess.

oldtymer
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:14 pm

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by oldtymer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:52 am

Either you are one of the owners or you are drinking the Kool-Aid. The concern over the pay2play is absolutely ridiculous . The dissenting teams charge amongst the highest rates they can. They might even charge more going forward now that they are out from under the GOJHL. To say that they are doing this for the kids is an absolute joke. The main reason for this change is 100% financial. They will continue to charge their players but they want to keep that money versus giving to the GOJHL. The OHA fees are cheaper so more money stays with the team. I personally don't have an issue with making a business decision but to try to spin it as they are looking out for the players ( free to play) is hilarious. Perhaps though the owners of Pelham, Buffalo, Hamilton have seen the light and will now allow their players to play for free. Wow you know that Kool-Aid tastes real good ..so good in fact that I now think that Buffalo has a chance to win the Sutherland :lol:

BeenThereDoneThat
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by BeenThereDoneThat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:48 am

Oldtymer, You just nailed it my friend.

RagingBS
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 11:13 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by RagingBS » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:51 am

oldtymer wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:52 am
Either you are one of the owners or you are drinking the Kool-Aid. The concern over the pay2play is absolutely ridiculous . The dissenting teams charge amongst the highest rates they can. They might even charge more going forward now that they are out from under the GOJHL. To say that they are doing this for the kids is an absolute joke. The main reason for this change is 100% financial. They will continue to charge their players but they want to keep that money versus giving to the GOJHL. The OHA fees are cheaper so more money stays with the team. I personally don't have an issue with making a business decision but to try to spin it as they are looking out for the players ( free to play) is hilarious. Perhaps though the owners of Pelham, Buffalo, Hamilton have seen the light and will now allow their players to play for free. Wow you know that Kool-Aid tastes real good ..so good in fact that I now think that Buffalo has a chance to win the Sutherland :lol:
Quality will always be a big factor, but don't underestimate the ability of cost to affect numbers. In other words, why would anyone pay for a product when they can get better at lower cost? The best leagues charge less, and as costs go up players will consider alternatives that are less costly. I know Ancaster (now Hamilton) charged the maximun $ they could last year. That likely explains a lot of their turnover. I am sure the GOJHL fee was just another item line on their list of player fees last season.

I am not an owner, however you might want to consult with a GM of any team about how easy it is to convince older players to stick around when they, not their parents, are footing the bill to play hockey. It happens more often than you might think once a player is finished high school and is one of the reasons many good local players opt to go to Jr C when they turn 19. The GOJHL loses players to the BCHL every year because it is a better league (by a long shot) than the OJ and is costs less than either the GOJHL or the OJ.

Make no mistake about the fact that many players and paying parents question if they are getting their moneys worth out of the GOJHL fee. The programs put forth by GOJHL Inc do very little if anything to promote their 19 and 20 year old players to teams after they age out. Other than player of the month award there isn't much. The Prospects weekend is only for younger players often ones that are already protected by an OHL club. Veterans have to find their own ways to promote themselves against players in Jr A that are being showcased by their leagues. As for the GOJHL Showcase many of the stronger players aren't in attendance because they are still with OHL teams. Maybe veterans should have been offered a reduced fee since they can't benefit from some of the higher profile events

oldtymer
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:14 pm

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by oldtymer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:44 pm

So let me understand your reasoning.. players will leave because of the pay to play setup . With the new league, it is most likely that players will still have to pay to play on Pelham, Buffalo or Hamilton but they won't leave now ?? Now if the team owners charge the players less due to the lower OHA fees then the players benefit and I can see some logic to your argument. I do not believe that has been or will be the case going forward. Based on rumors from the grapevine, three of the Shoe teams collected the full fees from the players but these were not forwarded to the GOJHL. If that pattern continues then your point is totally moot. Players will pay the same but won't even get the GOJHL privileges whatever they may be.

If the rumors I hear are true then I think I will be travelling down the road a lot more to see the other Division games in St Catharines. I will still go see the Canadiens play the Falls and London and maybe Hamilton but will skip the rest. While I may be supporting the enemy the quality of those games should be fantastic. Keeping Buffalo but losing St Catharines really waters down this Division. While the addition of London should be good, I can't see the rivalry being the same as when we played St Kitts. It may also effect attendance as I don't see many fans going from Welland to London or vice versa.

RagingBS
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 11:13 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by RagingBS » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Close, players do leave now because they can play for less or nothing at all. Reducing what comes out of a players pocket will help will slow the exodus especially with players who aren't getting financial assistance from their parents anymore. Increased cost whether it be a GOJHL fee or simply a team assessment with have players evaluating firstly if they are getting value for what they are being charged. If they aren't convinced it is worth it they will consider their options, those that have option will exercise them. Some players also feel that paying the OJHL fees is worth it with the increased exposure by playing in the GTA regularly, however I see many going from the OJHL to the GOJHL later in their careers although the new limits on 20 year olds in many Jr A leagues maybe partially responsible as well.

I have always encouraged player to do their due diligence on a team before signing a card. Make sure you ask more than how many sticks do I get. Make sure you know about every penny they age going to ask for including all fees, billets, season passes for parents, transportation to all road games, what equipment will the player need to purchase. This prompts the GM to layout any additional benefits in order to convince the player that this is where you want to sign. It is important to get it right the first time and make the best deal because once signed the team owns your rights for your entire junior career unless released or traded. If a player has options he should compare. Another important tool is to ask a player that has recently aged out what it is like to play for the team. This players can often be the best way to find out if a team is a good fit.

There is no one league/team that fits all. My advice to the owners is simple. They are competing with hot only the OJHL and GOJHL for top players, they are competing with all of 125+/ CJHL teams. These leagues have had many years of success winning and promoting players from Ontario to play beyond junior. The GOJHL is considered a very fertile recruiting area and many have scouts in SW Ontario for a reason. Doing their due diligence will keep players at home, but don't underestimate how attractive it is for a veteran to play Jr A for less or nothing at all.

ILuvHackey
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:26 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by ILuvHackey » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Saying players leave to play in the BCHL because it's cheaper is like saying the players leave the GOJHL to play in the OHL because it's cheaper.

RocketGirl
Posts: 3056
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by RocketGirl » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:05 pm

Because it is considered the be all end all league in Canada, some go to the BCHL because their agents/advisors/school has told them to, not because they necessarily want to, or because it's cheaper to play.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.

RagingBS
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 11:13 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by RagingBS » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:28 pm

ILuvHackey wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:15 pm
Saying players leave to play in the BCHL because it's cheaper is like saying the players leave the GOJHL to play in the OHL because it's cheaper.
I also said it is the best junior league in Canada, however lack of cost to play is also an incentive. As noted above there are a lot of factors that play into making a good decision. NCAA and NHL scout it heavily for a reason

BeenThereDoneThat
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by BeenThereDoneThat » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:12 pm

Schedule for the Eastern Conference of the GOJHL.Inc. has been issued to teams in that Division.

arcprohd
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:37 am

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by arcprohd » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:23 pm

This is a ridiculous situation.

A rogue league... In the OHA? I would make the whole junior B league sit it out until they get it straightened out.

Either shut down the infrastructure that is at the root of this dispute or all endorse it. If they just want GMHL 2 then proceed

I can see now why Caledonia decided to sit this out. It is becoming a sh** show.

Post Reply