GOJHL AGM Today

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

BeenThereDoneThat

GOJHL AGM Today

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

The TSN Turning Point could happen today. At the GOJHL AGM, could decide what direction the League will pursue.
Hopefully the 3 holdouts are turfed and the remaining 22 move on and if London wants to join them, good riddance.
Love our game

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by Love our game »

Who are the 3 holdouts?
hockey21

Post by hockey21 »

With the talk of holdouts, this must be an GOJHL Inc. (not OHA GOJHL league) meeting correct?
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

Yes I believe today's meeting is the Inc. meeting so the holdouts are not able to attend. With the ruling issued last week in the letter from the OHA it appears all except Caledonia will be part of this years schedule.
hockey21

Post by hockey21 »

Any update on the GOJHL Inc. AGM?
phillipdh

Post by phillipdh »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:53 am The TSN Turning Point could happen today. At the GOJHL AGM, could decide what direction the League will pursue.
Hopefully the 3 holdouts are turfed and the remaining 22 move on and if London wants to join them, good riddance.
Why exactly would the Nationals join them, and who?
I make hockey teams look good
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Although there hasn't been anything publicized, our Commissioner is working behind the scenes with the OHF to resolve the dissention amongst our league. My source has told me that he's working to get the OHF to approve a split within our league and the formation of a new GOJHL.

My source has told me that at the AGM on the weekend, of the 25 OHA Jr B teams, there are 17 teams that are united together in being the GOJHL. That leaves 8 teams that are against the other 17, being London, Brantford, Brampton, Lockport (Buffalo), Fort Erie, Pelham, Hamilton, and Thorold.

My understanding is that it was passed that GOJHL fees are due in 2 parts, with a first deposit due next week and the balance after the season starts. After collection of fees next week, a schedule will be submitted to the OHA that only includes those teams that have paid.

Depending what happens with the OHF, there could be a split of the GOJHL into 2 Jr B leagues.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Does anyone actually know what the points of dissention are?
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

RocketGirl wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:23 pm Although there hasn't been anything publicized, our Commissioner is working behind the scenes with the OHF to resolve the dissention amongst our league. My source has told me that he's working to get the OHF to approve a split within our league and the formation of a new GOJHL.

My source has told me that at the AGM on the weekend, of the 25 OHA Jr B teams, there are 17 teams that are united together in being the GOJHL. That leaves 8 teams that are against the other 17, being London, Brantford, Brampton, Lockport (Buffalo), Fort Erie, Pelham, Hamilton, and Thorold.

My understanding is that it was passed that GOJHL fees are due in 2 parts, with a first deposit due next week and the balance after the season starts. After collection of fees next week, a schedule will be submitted to the OHA that only includes those teams that have paid.

Depending what happens with the OHF, there could be a split of the GOJHL into 2 Jr B leagues.
Wow. I had no idea there is such dissention in the ranks. Most of it seems to be in the Golden Horseshoe (and London). I'm curious to know what those points are as well.
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

Huff and puff and do all he wants. You will not see a split that falls under the OHF and HC. If the Inc goes independent would be the only way but that too me would not be a wise maneuver.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

cozy up to the OHA, get your own league, have OHA deem you a Junior A league and you'll get to E101 the hell out of your old buddies lol

OJHL may have something to say about that one
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

What exactly does the OJHL have in any of this?
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

The OJHL can recruit players from the GOJHL and only pay the prescribed development fee. If GOJHL inc could be classified as a Jr A league, the OJHL teams would have to arrange a trade just like they do for a player from one of the other Jr A leagues. Those acquisitions are more expensive. GOJHL Inc if approved by the OHA as a Jr A league could also recruit or affiliate players from GOJHL. For example in London's case they could easily affiliate players from any GOJHL West team or just sign players for a player development fee instead of negotiating a trade.
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

This would be the ideal situation except for the fact that Jr A designation is not something that is in the hands of the OHA. Jr A designation structure comes down thru HC in thru the CJHL. The OHA cannot just wave a wand and poof the B teams are A. It just is not that easy unfortunately. And I am not arguing against at least some of the teams in the GOJHL moving to A its just the process to get there is such a mess. And yes the OJHL has a hand in this but I understand that monopoly may come to an end soon. If that happens then maybe this change of some B teams to A becomes easier.
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

I could be way off base here, but from the information I've been told, what's good for the goose is also good for the gander.
Meaning; any team in the GO can do exactly the same thing as OJHL clubs, and pluck players from that league for a nominal development fee, as well.
Again, if I'm wrong on this, I apologize. But the handwringing on this subject appears to be misguided, if indeed, I am correct.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Because you guys are talking about 2 GOJHL's, it's confusing trying to follow. We have 1 group of 17, which I understand might be down to 14 now, and the other group at 8, potentially 11. Can we determine which group is Inc.?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

majority are Inc. ( 17 )...did not hear 3 are switching...who did you hear?
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

In Southwestern Ontario we have so many good young talented players in the GO, OJ and even some throughout the PJ!
Its crazy how often this fact is over shadowed by the governing. money and politics of it all! These 3 leagues are all
great in their own regard, we need to support them, its important! Imagine not having these local clubs
around. It would be boring as hell!!!
drafty

Post by drafty »

Do I have this right?
GOJHL is a Junior B league under the OHA.
GOJHL Inc. is a group of owners of teams within the GOJHL that charges players to play on their teams.

Does GOJHL Inc. have any authority to make any decisions (rules, policy, etc.) about the GOJHL? What exactly is their purpose?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

coachFloyd wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:13 am majority are Inc. ( 17 )...did not hear 3 are switching...who did you hear?
I've heard that the remaining 3 in the Shoe are considering their options.

Heard something that the teams have until this weekend to decide what they're doing.
Queen of the GOJHL

RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

The OHA has already stated that the GOJHL is the Jr B league in Ontario and membership in GOJHL Inc is not a requirement to play in the GOJHL. That in itself would suggest that a GOJHL Inc membership is not necessary to participate or set rules or policy. Pay to play has been a controversial issue its inception and is certainly a consideration when a player has choices as to where he chooses to sign on or if he accepts a trade. If a league has some teams that look after most or all expenses through sponsorships etc, and others make their players foot the bill it is obvious where the better talent will land. The BCHL for example give teams the option to charge players a maximum of $800 per player, however if a team charges one player money, they are required to charge everyone on the roster the same amount. The more successful teams tend to be the ones that charge $0 and not coincidentally that is where the best players available gravitate to.
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

On top of that; making things even more difficult to compete for homegrown talent with the BCHL, many advisors, agents, NCAA schools and Ontario private schools such as St. Andrews, push players out west.
I know some Prep schools, like a St. Andrews, won't barely talk to teams in the OJHL or GO, already having relationships with Jr. A teams in British Columbia or a Brooks in the AJHL.
It's as clear as day that a place like St. Andrews functions hand in hand with teams in the BCHL, funnelling their best and brightest to clubs on the left coast.
Whether it be about zero cost to play out there, simply the school(s) believes that league is superior or they are getting something out of this arrangement, we will never know.
But as it stands now, it's one of those things where it is what it is, I guess.
Wouldn't it be nice though, if some of our own homegrown talent decided to buck this trend and stay within province to ply their trade?
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

The reason so many kids want to play in the BCHL is that it is recognized as the #1 Tier II A league in Canada with 155 college commitments last season.

https://bchl.ca/college_commitments
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

RocketGirl wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:50 am Because you guys are talking about 2 GOJHL's, it's confusing trying to follow. We have 1 group of 17, which I understand might be down to 14 now, and the other group at 8, potentially 11. Can we determine which group is Inc.?
RocketGirl wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:28 pm I've heard that the remaining 3 in the Shoe are considering their options.

Heard something that the teams have until this weekend to decide what they're doing.
I've been told this is false and they are 17 teams strong.
Queen of the GOJHL

hockey21

Post by hockey21 »

What value do the group of 17 see in GOJHL INC. that the other 8 teams apparently do not see?
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

hockey21 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:35 am What value do the group of 17 see in GOJHL INC. that the other 8 teams apparently do not see?
The league fees pay for league initiatives. In talking to the former commissioner, Chuck, part of his mandate was working closer with NCAA and CIS schools to bring back scouts and scholarships to the league that had waned a bit. That helps elevate the league and make recruitment easier, and makes the teams more valuable.

Not only that, but whether people will agree or not, many of these teams are businesses. Most of them are break even businesses, some lose, some gain. Business owners want to see their business value rise, and a united front together to build the league into more than just a "Jr B" league would increase team value as well. That would be a part of it.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

It is still a very difficult mandate when you have to convince the NCAA and CIS recruiters that they should spend the same amount of resources scouting the OHA's Jr B league as they would the OHA's Jr A league. Knowledgeable people close to the league realize the differences in talent aren't that big if the exist at all. Ontario has 4 of the 10 Jr A hockey leagues in Canada, however Ontario exports a lot of talent to leagues such as the BCHL, AJHL, USHL, NAHL, QMJHL to name a few. In contrast these leagues are scouted better than any of the 4 Jr A leagues or the GOJHL because the level of play is in some cases very close to that of the OHL.

Now when you factor in pay to play model vs a fully funded model it is understandable where players will choose to go
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

How mush does it cost for a player to play in the PJHL vs GOJHL? I've seen lots of Junior A and OHL scouts at PJHL games over the years?
Understanding that they are both different animals so to speak in terms of skating, passing, etc!!
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Player cost for league fees in PJHL is about $400 (OHA fee), GOJHL is about $1150 (OHA + GOJHL fees). Then it can go up from there depending on the team. Most teams in both charge an additional team assessment fee that can range from a few extra hundred to upwards of $2500 maybe more. Some teams will supply 2 sticks, some 4 sticks some no sticks. Some supply pants or pant shells helmets and/or gloves, others the player must purchase them. Some provide a bus for all road games, some provide for some of the games some the player is responsible for his own transportation for all games. For out of town players, some provide billets others charge the player for billet expense. Some, all or none of these fees may be covered in a team assessment fee. Each team seems to have their own way of doing things. It is always best for a prospective to player to find out what the team will and will not provide as well as all costs before signing a card.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

And the plot thickens....
Attachments
Screenshot_20180721-004117.jpg
Screenshot_20180721-004117.jpg (94.38 KiB) Viewed 110458 times
Queen of the GOJHL