OHA ATTENDANCE FIGURES

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Marcie

OHA ATTENDANCE FIGURES

Post by Marcie »

Here are the top 10 teams attendance-wise last season among all OHA Junior teams including Allan Cup Hockey (ACH), Jr A, Jr B and Jr C.

1. Sarnia GOJHL 1,210
2. Brantford ACH 1,010
3. Stratford GOJHL 960
4. Chatham GOJHL 716
5. Leamington GOJHL 712
6. Essex 73's PJHL 595
7. St. Thomas GOJHL 565
8. LaSalle GOJHL 548
9. Trenton OJHL 545
10. London GOJHL 532
Hockeylover321

Re: OHA ATTENDANCE FIGURES

Post by Hockeylover321 »

Where is Listowel? Did the early season games in the old rink pull them down because they had incredible attendance in the new rink.......and I don't buy Stratford's #'s. I was at some playoff games there and the place was only half full.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Does "attendance" include both teams, all players, coaches, staff, ticket booth guy, Zamboni driver, etc? Some Buffalo games had maybe 10-12 people in the stands/building and they would record 59 in attendance?
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Listowel averaged 472 in the regular season (3rd best in the MW - Elmira had 497) and 976 in the playoffs. Teams do vary on how they do attendance figures. Some just go by ticket sales, other include everyone in the rink, including those who sign in with a pass, volunteers, staff, etc.
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

Interesting. I daresay Listowel's numbers will go up next season when they are in the new rink for the entire year.

Obviously another thing the GOJHL has no standardization on.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

numbers include seasons tickets/flex passes sold
not actual attendance at games
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

just to clarify

teams include those tickets sold on top of paid attendance at the door
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

It should also be noted that 7 of the top 10 teams are from the GOJHL including 4 of the top 5. Yet the OHA in its wisdom has until now fought against Jr A hockey west of the GTA. Also of interest is that there is only 1 team that has this volume of support that is not west of the GTA.
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

Since I'm an OJ guy, mostly through geography, I can assure all of you that most OJHL teams fudge attendance figures considerably.

Some teams are worse than others and it's a bit of a running joke.

Consistently the top attendance centres in the OJ are Wellington, Oakville, Cobourg, Kingston and Trenton.

Until recent years, Trenton was never a place that recorded high attendance figures. The Hawks are also one of those clubs that is well known to pump up their attendance average consistently over the season.

Lots of times it was recorded at 600 fans when in reality it wasn't any more than 300.

Truly, the best attendance average starts and ends in Wellington. This is just fact and has been for over 20 seasons
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

The Brantford Senior A team has the second best attendance figures. How will a new Jr A team affect their draw? Can the city support both?
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

I think the 99er's Jr A attendance will be very much the same as the previous 99er's Jr B years! Unless of course they would start winning alot more games which usually starts attracting more fans.
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

Anybody that's expecting to see a fine Jr. A product out of Brantford this season better think again.

The former Milton franchise has been putrid for years and under the same current ownership as today (DD) the team won a grand total of something like four games last season.

When an owner who doesn't know the game or the 'A' product declares himself the GM, you know a horrible product is quick to follow.

Expect a high end of no more than 15 wins this season, and that's probably being generous.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

some of those numbers are hugely exaggerated by season and sponser tickets, Some games ive been to in Sarnia and there is less then 400 people at the game and they announce over 1,000. Essex is the same way in Junior C.
End of a era in Leamington
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Sometimes teams forget to input their attendance for the game and suddenly a zero pulls their average way down.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

flyers2011 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:47 am some of those numbers are hugely exaggerated by season and sponser tickets, Some games ive been to in Sarnia and there is less then 400 people at the game and they announce over 1,000. Essex is the same way in Junior C.
I agree with the Sarnia thing however I know Chatham numbers do not include staff members as staff only counts what comes thru the door after 6 when the box office opens and all staff is there prior to that time
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Blades

Post by Blades »

As has been said another time. the Legionnaires attendance number include season ticket holders as well as those who paid to get in or signed the book. Staff and volunteers are not included in the attendance numbers in Sarnia. Just wanted to clear things up in case there was some misunderstanding.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Lasalle is another one that has inflated numbers but not as bad as Sarnia, Chatham always gets good crowds. I wish all teams would just count who is there in attendance. In Essex they count season ticket holders twice and sponser tickets so you cant go by their numbers. Some night they are lucky to get 200 people in the seats.
End of a era in Leamington
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

It's the great attendance debate that will never be resolved.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Dr. Pepper

Post by Dr. Pepper »

RocketGirl wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:54 am It's the great attendance debate that will never be resolved.
Not much to debate really !. "Attendance" means exactly that, people that "attend" a function or event.
When I was in school they would take "attendance" every day, if you were not there you were not marked as "in attendance", a pupil would not be marked as "attended" simply because they were enrolled in school
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

But is it paid attendance or actual attendance? That's the debate.

A lot of teams start with their season's ticket sales and then add in the additional paid for that game, then the passes that sign in and get in for free.

Unless they have a specific ticket for each game in their season tickets, it's hard to count who is actually there.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

RocketGirl wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:14 am But is it paid attendance or actual attendance? That's the debate.

A lot of teams start with their season's ticket sales and then add in the additional paid for that game, then the passes that sign in and get in for free.

Unless they have a specific ticket for each game in their season tickets, it's hard to count who is actually there.
Seasons tickets are hard to account for...flex passes are a lot easier to track

Paid attendance is good for the club...actual attendance is good for the sport
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I agree Coach. The flex pass is actually a good idea. Make it the same price, but then if you're not able to make a game, you can save it for next time and bring a friend, or you give your ticket to a buddy. It shouldn't matter to the team because they've already received payment for the game, so why should they care who actually uses it. And then you can properly track the attendance at the game.
Queen of the GOJHL

Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Here is a question for you both,

Do you think HockeyTV broadcasting all games has had any effect on game attendance?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Probably, same reason why I don't like Rogers broadcasting London's games live weekly. I prefer to be there live, but there's othters that watch it any way they can.
Queen of the GOJHL

Love our game

Post by Love our game »

HockeyTV broadcasting all games has definitely had an impact on game attendance. As much as watching it live can never be replaced in terms of the sounds, feel and the live action. Scouts and even parents will settle in their own comfy living room and watch it that way ( Sometime watch 3 games at once ). No roads or traffic to contend with, cheaper on gas, live updates, replays, pause available....etc. Sucks for the players but that is the sign of our "media" times.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

I heard Buffalo led the league in on-line viewing - mileage plus border crossing made it very appealing to parents/fans
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

That'll be justification to keep them, right?
Queen of the GOJHL

RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

coachFloyd wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:59 am I heard Buffalo led the league in on-line viewing - mileage plus border crossing made it very appealing to parents/fans
The great thing about watching a game from Buffalo on HockeyTV is that you can easily change the channel to a better game after the first 5 minutes or 5 goals against, whichever comes first.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Buffalo does a good job on their broadcasts. They have good camera position and a fellow doing play by play. I appreciate their efforts.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

I watched some of Buffalo's games last year just for the that exact reason! The Broadcasting was "great"! I would have to also send out a congrats to Ancasters Broadcaster(s) as well, very energetic, keep you on your toes and informative!