Brantford going Jr A

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RagingBS

Brantford going Jr A

Post by RagingBS »

Looks like the Milton Icehawks are moving to Brantford and will be known as the 99ers. What does this mean for the future of GOJHL hockey in the Brantford region with the recent folding of the Caledonia Corvairs.

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2018/0 ... -brantford
Hockeylover321

Re: Brantford going Jr A

Post by Hockeylover321 »

I was wondering that myself. If the Jr B 99er's are toast that leaves only 7 teams in the MidWest. Would they move someone over from the West?
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Heard from a 99er staff member that Brantford Jr.B was moving to Milton and Milton Jr.A was moving / playing in Brantford?
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Here's more info.

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2018/0 ... y-for-city

I guess this is the best way to get a JR-A team. Maybe this is what other owners of JR-B teams that wanted to go JR - A should have done.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Caledonia Fan wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:17 am Here's more info.

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2018/0 ... y-for-city

I guess this is the best way to get a JR-A team. Maybe this is what other owners of JR-B teams that wanted to go JR - A should have done.
With all that money that the mostly community owned GOJHL teams have?
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

It is somewhat encouraging that the OHA has not voiced a concern about this, although their lack of response is a bit puzzling. There should be Jr A hockey available west of the GTA, so that is encouraging as well. Unfortunately some Jr B players in Brantford are in limbo since there is no firm commitment that there will be a team or where they will play out of. This might be a fantastic time for the new commissioner to introduce himself to the league and take an interest in the fate of yet another team this year. Hopefully moving to Jr A is a positive move in the end. The owner has stated "
Our program is going to attract west kids,” he said. “Kids from St. Thomas, London, Woodstock that want to play junior A but don’t want to billet". I can see a player commuting from Woodstock, but from the London/St Thomas area the commute would be in excess of an hour each way in good weather. Many of the road games will be in excess of 2 hours on the bus on top of that. Players that far away may choose Brantford over another OJ team but if a player can play in BC or Alberta (where most if not all player fees and expenses are covered by the team and you can play with a visor instead of the cage) they would likely still go since those leagues are stronger and more heavily scouted than the OJHL for NCAA D1, CIS and pro teams
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Yup! The only thing that would deter me from sending my kid to play in the OJ is the cost, its a big "money" league!
I wonder what the conscience would be on a pole of asking 1000 parents whether that would be the determining factor Y/N ?
FedUpSeenEnough

Post by FedUpSeenEnough »

If you have to pay big money to play junior hockey, you are at a level above your ability.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

The OJHL is the most expensive of all legitimate Junior hockey leagues. Some of the outlaw leagues cost more. I don't know that you can realistically operate a team at the Jr A level if you don't plan to billet some players
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

RagingBS wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:40 pm It is somewhat encouraging that the OHA has not voiced a concern about this, although their lack of response is a bit puzzling.
What is the OHA going to say when it's the OHF making these decisions?
Attachments
Screenshot_20180620-174937.png
Screenshot_20180620-174937.png (203.31 KiB) Viewed 14833 times
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

I would think this will be a welcomed intervention especially in Southwestern Ontario.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I'll follow the new team, it should be fun.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

OHF are no different than the OHA...just on a larger scale!