2018-19 Signings

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Marcie

Re: 2018-19 Signings

Post by Marcie »

Flyers Sign Goaltender Ryan Polidori
The Leamington Flyers filled the hole between the pipes left by graduating player Noah Hedrick. Joining the Flyers for the 2018-2019 season is Windsor native Ryan Polidori.
Polidori is a 2001 birth year and is listed as a 5”10 190 lbs puck-stopper. He was a product of the Windsor Jr. Spitfires, where he played last season appearing in 19 games. He also earned an AP call up to Crowder’s Essex 73’s team. Ryan would appear in two games, including one start, which he won and posted a shutout. In his 2 games of PJHL action, he finished with a .971 save percentage and a goals-against average of 0.97, a stellar junior debut for a 16 year old APM.
His strong year allowed him to be chosen by the Oshawa Generals in the first round, 11th overall in the 2018 U-18 OHL Draft.
Polidori will be working aside returning goaltender Connor Meyerink, who enters his last year of GOJHL eligibility as a 1998 goaltender. The two will be working with returning goaltending coach Matt Anthony.
From GM Justin Solcz: Ryan is a great young goalie who constantly works hard on and off the ice to get better. Ryan is ready to contribute at the junior level and also brings a wealth of potential that Flyers’ fan should be excited about as he continues his development.
From Head Coach Cam Crowder: Had an excellent Major Midget AAA season , eventually getting drafted to the Oshawa generals. Ryan is a positionally sound goaltender that continues to get better every day. Character person on and off the ice, that was sought after by a lot of junior teams.
Ryan skated in the Flyers Spring Evaluation Camp and was a member of the tournament champion Black team.
Welcome to the Flyers Ryan!
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Maroons Assistant General Manager, Kevin Fisher announced today that the Chatham Maroons have acquired goaltender, TRISTAN LEWIS from the St Marys Lincolns.
In the release to the Media today had the following to say about the acquisition of Lewis.“We have been interested in Tristan since last year‘s trade deadline and coming into this season he was our number one target as our veteran goaltender."
Tristan was born Birthday: May 11, 1998. His Hometown is Port Elgin , Ontario
He is 6-0 feet and weighs 174 pounds
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Another good addition for Chatham, I think next season will be the London and Chatham show. Both teams are stacked. Cant see Leamington doing much next season.
End of a era in Leamington
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Leamington will have fire power and goal tending. I would question the depth of there Defense as it stands?
They'll need a better PK than last year if they are to put up as many penalties as last years. Lewis will need help
from the back end as his GAA is not the most solid statistically? Maybe his veteran presence will help balance things out that way! Should be exciting..!
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Depends who comes back in leamo. They are losing a bit. And Crowder isn't the greatest coach. I've watched him the last couple years in Essex. Makes lots of mistakes.
End of a era in Leamington
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

The thing I like about the "New" Leamington Flyers is that Crowder will be in great company with hockey minds from playing experience in the NHL, NCAA, OHL, etc. It will be a bit of an adjustment as a hole, but I think they will put things together pretty quickly in positive ways.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

The Strathroy Rockets are very pleased to announce the signing of 2000 born forward Zachary Berriault from the Midland Flyers. Last year, Zack scored 30 goals and accumulated 51 points in 44 games and led his team in scoring as a 17 year old. He also participated in the PJHL Top Prospects Game in New Hamburg and last week he won Gold with Team Canada at the U18 World Ball Hockey Championships in Slovakia.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

The St. Thomas Stars are pleased to announce the signing of 18-year-old Jordan Hurtubise.
Jordan is the younger brother of Stars goaltender Anthony Hurtubise.
Jordan is a 6'4" defenceman who played 23 games with the Sarnia Legionnaires last season.
Help us welcome Jordan to the Galaxy!
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

The St. Thomas Stars are pleased to announce the signing of forward Ian Lutowicz.
A native of Strathroy, Ian is a 17-year-old (2001) who is looking to bring his playmaking abilities to the GOJHL.
Lutowicz played with the London Jr. Knights Midget AAA team last season where he registered 8 goals and 28 assists (36 points) in 30 games.
Welcome to the Galaxy, Ian!
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

The St. Thomas Stars are pleased to announce the signings of two players.
Brayden Smith joins us from the Aylmer Spitfires. He's a 2001-born forward that registered 11 goals and 13 assists in 34 games played last season with the Spitfires.
Darren Beattie is a fresh signing from the Lambton AAA Minor Midget program. The 2002-born defenceman played a big role on the blue line for his team last season. He also had a chance to play in a GOJHL game with the Sarnia Legionnaires
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

SIGNING - Lincs welcome speedy FWD and London native Christian Froese! Froese comes to the Stonetown form the London Jr Knights Midget program

SIGNING - Lincs bring in FWD Carson McMillan! The Azilda, ON resident laced up for the Sudbury Major Midgets last season, and was the AAA International Silver Stick MVP

SIGNING - Lincs welcome Michael Haddad (D). Michael is from Brampton, and played for the Halton Hurricanes AAA Major Midgets. He also suited up in 7 games last year for the Milton Icehawks of the OJHL.

Congratulations to former Lincoln Jordan Kooy, selected in the 7th round of the NHL entry draft by the Vegas Golden Knights! Jordan backstopped the Lincolns during the 2016-17 season
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

By Pat Payton

A general manager once said that the process of building a team is simply adding one player at a time.

With still over six weeks before the team’s main training camp, St. Marys Lincolns have signed 13 players for the upcoming Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League (GOJHL) season. Director of Hockey Operations Jim MacEachern made the announcement at the Lincs’ Annual General Meeting last Monday, June 25 at the PRC.

June was a “busy month” and management is “excited about the players we’ve signed,” MacEachern told approximately 30 people who attended the AGM. He also noted that they were “disappointed” with losing a couple of top prospects to the Sutherland Cup champion Listowel Cyclones.

“But we’re on the right track,” he said. “We’re going to be a young team and we’ll have to be patient.”

One of the latest players to sign is Carson McMillan, a 17-year-old forward from the Sudbury Wolves ‘AAA’ Major Midget team. “He’s a huge signing for us,” assistant GM Greg Smale said.

Another forward from the same team, Joe Mazur, has also committed to St. Marys. McMillan and Mazur competed for the Wolves at the Telus Cup Midget national championship in Sudbury this past season.

“We’re going to need some billets,” MacEachern added.

Another name Lincolns would like to get on a player’s card is Jake Weston. The 17-year-old Thorndale area native was named Lincs’ top defenceman last season.

“We’d love to have Weston,” MacEachern told the Independent. “We’re going to have more conversations with him in the next week or so. I think he’ll be in the line-up.”

When asked the question, the Director of Hockey Operations expects to have just two or three players back from last year’s team, which finished ninth and out of the playoffs.

‘Kids want to be here’

Smale also talked about the “positive” player signings recently. “These kids want to be here,” he stressed. Six of the new Lincolns are Major Jr. ‘A’ draft picks.

“Everybody is on the same page,” Smale continued. “We said from day one that we would recruit young players, and there could be some tough nights. We’re not selling anything but what we are. We want to retain these players for the following year.”

The assistant GM predicts a “young exciting team” in 2018-19.

“That’s the culture change we’re starting,” Smale said. “The hard work has paid off. We want 90 percent of our team in place going into training camp (starting Thursday, Aug. 16 at the PRC).”

Financial picture

Team treasurer Stewart Grant reviewed the Lincolns’ financials for the 2017-18 season. Grant noted that roughly two thirds of the team’s revenue came from fundraising ventures such as sponsorships, donations, and the annual golf tournament.

The treasurer added that the hockey club lost $15,000 during the 2017-18 season, which fell short of expectations. This loss followed a profit of $4,000 earned during the 2016-17 season.

“With additional fundraising events planned for the New Year, along with an exciting young team on the ice that is being put together by the hockey operations department, the Lincolns are forecasting a profit for the 2018-19 season to offset the losses incurred in the prior year,” Grant added.

Club president Brandon Boyd was pleased with last week’s turnout as several returning and new faces attended the AGM.

“We look forward to growth in many areas of the organization, from new fundraising initiatives to enhancing the in-game experience for our fans,” he said.

“An improved on-ice product will be vital to the club’s long-term sustainability. The innovation and new vision of our expanded Hockey Operations staff has us positioned to become a competitive GOJHL club and ultimately improve the bottom line.

Dressing room getting refurbished

At the AGM, MacEachern also talked about the refurbishing of the Lincolns’ dressing room, which will include painting the room and staining the players’ stalls.

A new 6 ft. by 6 ft. carpet is in the plans for the centre of the dressing room, as well as 26 small carpets for the players. “We want to bring the room back to life,” the Director of Hockey Operations said.

MacEachern is also suggesting a new slogan for the team, ‘Build the Future and Respect the Past.’ Past team pictures will hang in the coaches room as well.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

I hope the St. Marys Lincolns fans come out and support their local Junior B team this upcoming season, they deserve it. They have great team Brand, all around good team support. I watched them play Guelph at the showcase last season. It was one of the most exciting games I saw that weekend!
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

The Lincs are excited to welcome back Defenseman Jake Weston for the upcoming season! Jake took home the honours for the Lincs' top D man last year, and showed tremendous growth during his first Jr B season. A resident of the St. Marys area, Jake was a fan favourite as well.

The Lincs are thrilled to welcome back veteran Tanner Hertel! The Stratford resident is entering his 3rd season for the green and white.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Komoka Kings sign 2 new players for 2018-2019. Forward Joe Capirchio who played last season with Strathroy Rockets & Lambton Jr. Sting & goaltender Trent McGrail Guelph Hurricanes & London Nationals.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

St.Marys looks like they'll win quite a few games this season. I've heard Welland will be better than the last few years this year. Should be an interesting season.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Welland is stating that they only charge $395.50 to play there! Caveat to those running there to save! The players get 1 stick! They will still have to pay the GOJHL $750 on top of that and may have to fork out the remaining billet cost if billeted and want to stay on the roster after Dec 01st, etc! They are in need of players, more than half the top players on the team are gone again this year. Caledonia is out of the loop with no players to send there to help Welland fill their roster! Its a great place to play don't get me wrong, just a heads up!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Wow, that's good to know. Someone was just telling me they would be better this year. But, I still have my doubts. lol
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Love our game wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:47 pm Welland is stating that they only charge $395.50 to play there! Caveat to those running there to save! The players get 1 stick! They will still have to pay the GOJHL $750 on top of that and may have to fork out the remaining billet cost if billeted and want to stay on the roster after Dec 01st, etc! They are in need of players, more than half the top players on the team are gone again this year. Caledonia is out of the loop with no players to send there to help Welland fill their roster! Its a great place to play don't get me wrong, just a heads up!
From the Welland website

"A number of players have asked "What does it cost to play for the Welland Jr. Canadians?"
All players are required to pay the OHA Annual Player Registration Fee for 2018-19.
The OHA fee is $350 + HST ($45.50) = $395.50.
Our owner does not believe players should have to pay to play hockey and the Welland Jr. Canadians do not charge any additional fees.
We will also supply your hockey equipment (skaters only) and sticks (Skaters & Goalies). (excludes skates"

Someone is lying
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Two years ago the Welland owner was one of the 23 that voted in favour of the $750 Player Assessment Fee. Someone earlier stated that Welland should win more games this year, well no kidding, with Caledonia and St. Catharines gone all teams in that division will win more games.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Welland did not go with the Inc so nobody will be paying the unnecessary 750 a player fee.
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

GOJHLfan1 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:00 am Welland did not go with the Inc so nobody will be paying the unnecessary 750 a player fee.
Welland could benefit from this in terms of $ for the owner or players but with the top two teams gone, not sure London can replace the regional rivalry. This is good for fans in Niagara as we can see more of the better teams without having to travel too far. Looking forward to the new setup. Rather see Elmira than Buffalo or Pelham any day.
Jumpin

Post by Jumpin »

Has anyone taken a look at the new Pelham Community Centre. I went for a visit and was floored. Nicest facility l have ever seen. I don’t think Pelham will be a the bottom anymore. Spoke to the coach there and they have Cals goalie and Def from last year plus several other guys. With that building they could be on the move up!!
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Without Cali it will be interesting to see what team or teams immerge in the Shoe as strong teams. Many scouts and agents have focused more on the Shoe than the other conferences in the league in past seasons. Personally I always thought the Midwest was the better conference.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

I did see the new Pelham rink and it is a beauty! Lots of community support in Fonthill/Pelham area for that team.
I would send my kind to play there in a heart beat! Well scouted, Great ownership, GM/coaching staff...
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Yes and Santa Clause is going deliver the Sutherland Cup to the Buffalo Franchise on April 1st.
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:03 pm Yes and Santa Clause is going deliver the Sutherland Cup to the Buffalo Franchise on April 1st.
I hear Port Colborne has a nice arena as well. Sailors could be a contender too I guess :roll:
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:03 pm Yes and Santa Clause is going deliver the Sutherland Cup to the Buffalo Franchise on April 1st.
I heard it's being delivered on Feb 29.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.