Guelph relocation to Cambridge

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

FrozenPonds

Guelph relocation to Cambridge

Post by FrozenPonds »

Guelph has relocated to the city of Cambridge! There will be junior hockey again in Cambridge!!

Great move by Guelph as they get into a location with a rabid fanbase and they take the onus off the OHA to get a team in Cambridge...something that might never have happened if it was left to the OHA!
Hockeylover321

Re: Guelph relocation to Cambridge

Post by Hockeylover321 »

That is awesome news! Junior B back at the Galt Gardens where it belongs. I love going to games there. the Midwest wasn't the same without it. I will not miss going to the Sleeman.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Can someone, anyone answer these questions ?

1-A franchise is being moved within the GOJHL, should this not be the responsibility of the GOJHL,
not the OHA, as long as the team being moved meets all OHA, OHF and HC guidelines ?

2-Why does the OHA set the price for a new franchise to open up in Cambridge, shouldn't the GOJHL
be the ones setting the price ?

3- Shouldn't all monies involved in new franchises being granted, go to the league where the new team will be playing (GOJHL), not the OHA ?

4- In the OJ, its the League that sets franchise values, not the OHA. Its the league that shares any revenues obtained from new
franchises granted, why the difference between the 2 Leagues ?

Seems to me the OHA, through somewhat questionable leadership over the years , have lost sight of what their roles and responsibilities
are in this partnership.

Do you agree or maybe disagree . I would be interested how the rest of you see it.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Simple and in a nutshell...because the league has allowed them to do it!

The question I have had for the last 18 months is quite frankly..what does the OHA do for the league? Other than sanctioning which is no big deal as there is no Natl Championship and creating division amongst the teams ie the letter Mr. Toffolo shared..what do they in fact do? They push through fees without a vote which mind you, could be used for a legal fund to fight the very leagues they charge!

It is ridiculous the amount of power this league has given to the OHA. Leagues have an obligation to make decisions that are in the best interests of the teams in the league. Allowing the OHA to influence or control those decisions is only in the best interest of..the OHA!!!
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

According to their Twitter, they are now the Cambridge RedHawks....

I'm an old Winterhawks fan, but wow. This is lame. I Would rather a fresh start for Jr B in Cambridge without much thought of the old Winterhawks and the Machado mess...
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

And they have 2 Twitter accounts already.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

ILuvHackey wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:18 am According to their Twitter, they are now the Cambridge RedHawks....

I'm an old Winterhawks fan, but wow. This is lame. I Would rather a fresh start for Jr B in Cambridge without much thought of the old Winterhawks and the Machado mess...

Yah...would have liked to see them with fully fresh slate! Like the Cambridge Express to celebrate the regions innovative approach to rail service in the 1890's. Or better yet, have a competition to engage the fans who have been without hockey for almost 2 years by having a contest...with the winning entry receiving two free seasons tickets!