Race to the Finish

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Race to the Finish

Post by RocketGirl »

With 5 weeks left in the regular season,
how's it going to finish?

Looks like London is running away with first place since taking it from Leamington, and I don't think they'll be caught.

There's only a 5 point difference from 2-5, so anything could happen there.

I think Chatham has 6 locked up.

In the rear, Komoka is slowly pulling away from Strathroy to lock up 7th place. Strathroy and St Marys are going to have a dog fight for the final play-off spot, but they've been separated by 1 point for the last month or so and have yet to swap positions.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Re: Race to the Finish

Post by Marcie »

As you say, 1st and 6th should be locked. In the lower race, as much as I love my Rockets and as much as I believe they are a better hockey club than Komoka and St. Marys they are having a heck of a time trying to prove it. It has been over 2 months since a win on the road and over 3 months since a win at home. The Kings and Lincs play ths weekend and the Rockets play them in back-to-back home games next weekend so we may have a clearer picture after then. The Lincs made a ton of changes at the deadline so we will have to see how that works out for them. At the top, the Flyers started the season winning 11 of 12 games. Since then they have played .500 hockey. If they continue to play .500 hockey they will slip further down the standings. Right now the Flyers have a better winning percentage than the Vipers but that isn't going to last for long if both clubs continue at the level they displayed recently.
Unhappy fan

Post by Unhappy fan »

A little ray of sunshine and optimism showed up in Leamington last night. A major shot in the arm for Josh Diamond and a “w” for the entire team. Way to go Rockets.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Leamington is definatley struggling of late. Big wins for Lasalle and strathroy the past 2 nights against Leamington. I didn't make it to the game last night vs Strathroy, but over 2100 fans packed in the Highbury Canco arena for Domino's night. Pretty impressive. Leamington will be in tough Saturday in Strathroy.
End of a era in Leamington
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

1. London
2. LaSalle
3. Sarnia
4. Leamington
5. Chatham
6. St. Thomas
7. Komoka
8. Strathroy
9. St. Marys
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

St. Marys has continued to make some changes. They have a new GM & Director of Hockey Operations, Jim McEachern and Asst. GM, Greg Smale and Director of Player Personnel, Paul Gaudet.

I'm hoping this finally works out for them.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Looks like they have changed everything everywhere but behind the bench.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

McEachern is a former Guelph Hurricanes coach I believe and apparently is coaching in Midget AAA this year. Might be a dual-role guy next year once he's done with his Midget team?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

There's 2 weeks left, how's it going to end?

Leamington is on a late season surge and could take first from London.

St Thomas has won 4 straight and is looking to catch and pass LaSalle, while keeping Sarnia behind them.

Komoka and Strathroy are tied with St Marys 2 points back. Komoka has 2 games with St Marys and 1 with Strathroy, 2 of them coming up next weekend.
Queen of the GOJHL

brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

As far as I'm concerned Leamington has come on strong and could beat london. Not sure what's wrong in nationals land as the only time I make it there is when Chatham plays there. Chatham has showed signs of life there last 2 games beating st Thomas 5-1 and then LaSalle 7-0 tonight, not sure what has gone on there but the boys have really done a good job in alot of areas they have struggled this year. The race for the bottom 2 play off spots is very tight and I may try to make it to either komoka or Strathroy this Saturday if I get some free time. With play offs around the corner things are really heating up in the west and if the last week or so says anything I feel there could be some upsets in the first round.
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

brad 36 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:03 pm As far as I'm concerned Leamington has come on strong and could beat london. Not sure what's wrong in nationals land as the only time I make it there is when Chatham plays there. Chatham has showed signs of life there last 2 games beating st Thomas 5-1 and then LaSalle 7-0 tonight, not sure what has gone on there but the boys have really done a good job in alot of areas they have struggled this year. The race for the bottom 2 play off spots is very tight and I may try to make it to either komoka or Strathroy this Saturday if I get some free time. With play offs around the corner things are really heating up in the west and if the last week or so says anything I feel there could be some upsets in the first round.
For the bulk of the season, it didn't look like anyone was going to touch london. Seemed like they were beating every team without issue. At first, it was leamington's conference, then were average at best and allowed London to run away with it. Might be a little too late for the flyers to catch the nats, losing to sarnia pretty much sealed their fate in second place. Could be anyone's title this year in the west. Still feel it's London's to lose. older team with skilled guys. Trottier, Vinogranov, Glover and Decicco, plus a goalie that had great stats until their losing streak. Not sure who is the better team between Lasalle and Leamington. Leamington is big and strong, some very good players like Robinson, ferguson, Fedder, Tetrault. Lasalle very well coached with a goalie that could steal a series and a very good top line. Stars/Legionnaires could be good, although Sarnia could have a big advantage if they get home ice. Fun and rowdy crowds should feel like an extra player out there. Would be surprised if 1 or 2 loses any to 7 and 8, unless Leamington gets the Lincolns, who seem to play the flyers tough. Lasalle and Chatham split their season series tonight, and will make for an interesting first round. I'd give the edge to Lasalle. Stewart in net, and quite possibly the best player in the league in Silverio, but Chatham has a few top guys as well, Yetman, Supryka, Johnstone, Bohn. Don't think their goalies could win 4 out of 7 though. Excited to see some good playoff hockey!!
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Quite a crowd in Elmira tonight!
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I think London will end up getting first but IF it ends up Leamington and London I think the Flyers have a real shot. Also a couple possible first round matchups, as of now Lasalle and Chatham would play I believe. I could definatley see the Maroons pulling off an upset. Chatham has been very inconsistent all year but if they could steal one early on the road, Chatham is still a very tough barn to go into.
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:00 pm I think London will end up getting first but IF it ends up Leamington and London I think the Flyers have a real shot. Also a couple possible first round matchups, as of now Lasalle and Chatham would play I believe. I could definatley see the Maroons pulling off an upset. Chatham has been very inconsistent all year but if they could steal one early on the road, Chatham is still a very tough barn to go into.
I have a feeling that London wont make it out of the 2nd round. Guys like Glover, Brookshaw... They should be putting up multiple points most games. But they've really slowed down. It looks like London would rather roll four lines over having the big guns out there every other shift. That works for some teams, but hasn't worked out very well for London so far.

I really think they need to start going with their top two lines more if they are going to do anything in the playoffs.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

Chatham has been inconsistent but if the last 3 games are any sign of what play offs are going to be like then things could be interesting for sure
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

brad 36 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:58 pm Chatham has been inconsistent but if the last 3 games are any sign of what play offs are going to be like then things could be interesting for sure
Chatham has a lot of firepower. I think they're a little underrated. Their goaltending has been questionable at times, but Wagner has been really good at times. I think Chatham can make some noise.

How about St.Thomas this year. This is the deepest offense I've seen them have in a while.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102