Is it working in Komoka?

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

HockeyFan35

Is it working in Komoka?

Post by HockeyFan35 »

The team is 4-10-3-1, sitting in 2nd last place, battling with St. Marys and to some extent, the Rockets, in the basement.

So I will ask - Is it working in Komoka? How has attendance been? Does the “town” even care that they’re there? Thoughts? How many years until they move again or pack it in?

Engage.
I’ve always been a fan of junior hockey at all levels. It’s about the kids. Cheers.
RagingBS

Re: Is it working in Komoka?

Post by RagingBS »

There is a 3 way battle for the basement, so I would say the move has not made a difference from that standpoint. Attendance is up from what it was in Forest they have better access to players through both the Elgin Middlesex Chiefs and London Jr Knights grads that don't find a home with the Nationals. The players are often seen in the community and this has helped at the gate. Overall I would say it is working, but time will tell. If players start bailing for JrC destinations over the next few weeks that is always a sure fire sign that things are not going well.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

At the moment Komoka has shown about an increase of 80 fans a game over what they averaged in Forest last year.
jimmorrison

Post by jimmorrison »

If players leaving for Jr.C is a bad sign perhaps Marcie may want to comment on his Rockets latest departures
Dr. Pepper

Post by Dr. Pepper »

First off lets compare apples to apples. In the Preds first year in the league they averaged 299 fans per game, finishing with a record 10 -35 - 7, that was up 99 fans per game from the previous year in Petrolia. The second year they averaged 266 with a record of 6 - 44,,,, the third with a record of 4 - 46 - 1 they averaged 188,,,, the forth year, they averaged 321, with a record of 22 - 28 - 1,,,, the fifth year with a record of 21 - 24 - 6, they averaged 296 fans per game, year six they averaged 219, with a record of 6 - 38 - 5,,,, in year seven they had a record of 14 - 31 - 4, with an average of 235,,,, year eight an average of 210 and a record of 8 - 38 - 1 - 3,,,, year nine a record of 8 - 37 - 0 - 5 and an average of 191 fans per game. The Preds have never finished higher than 8th in the conference standings. In 2012 in 2 home playoff games the Preds averaged 1,060 fans per game, in 2013 in 3 playoff games they averaged 756

What does this tell us ?,,,,,, It tells us exactly what I have been saying all along, Forest is no different than any other Jr. B town, they will come out and support when a team is competitive, and not so much when a team is not.

As I have said before, the move to Komoka will do nothing to bring in fans when you have a clown who knows nothing about hockey at the helm.

You can be sure if Roop continues to run the team, the few fans that the Kings get will surely drop to below the average that the Preds had in Forest
HockeyFan35

Post by HockeyFan35 »

Dr. Pepper wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:02 pm First off lets compare apples to apples. In the Preds first year in the league they averaged 299 fans per game, finishing with a record 10 -35 - 7, that was up 99 fans per game from the previous year in Petrolia. The second year they averaged 266 with a record of 6 - 44,,,, the third with a record of 4 - 46 - 1 they averaged 188,,,, the forth year, they averaged 321, with a record of 22 - 28 - 1,,,, the fifth year with a record of 21 - 24 - 6, they averaged 296 fans per game, year six they averaged 219, with a record of 6 - 38 - 5,,,, in year seven they had a record of 14 - 31 - 4, with an average of 235,,,, year eight an average of 210 and a record of 8 - 38 - 1 - 3,,,, year nine a record of 8 - 37 - 0 - 5 and an average of 191 fans per game. The Preds have never finished higher than 8th in the conference standings. In 2012 in 2 home playoff games the Preds averaged 1,060 fans per game, in 2013 in 3 playoff games they averaged 756

What does this tell us ?,,,,,, It tells us exactly what I have been saying all along, Forest is no different than any other Jr. B town, they will come out and support when a team is competitive, and not so much when a team is not.

As I have said before, the move to Komoka will do nothing to bring in fans when you have a clown who knows nothing about hockey at the helm.

You can be sure if Roop continues to run the team, the few fans that the Kings get will surely drop to below the average that the Preds had in Forest
Now there is a reply. I love the numbers Dr. Pepper (great beverage too). Good stuff here.

To me, your numbers state that the franchise under the current ownership has been caught in a viscous cycle and unfortunately Komoka is the newest victim. I could be wrong, please inform me if I am.

I have seen the team out in the community via social media outlets, but when I check their pointstreak attendance numbers, they aren't that impressive or much of an improvement. Their record isn't anything to write home about either.

What you have outlined with regards to season to playoffs numbers is Junior B hockey to a "T". If the team is winning and competitive, the numbers will be there. If not, they won't. Simple logic. As for playoffs, sure, I guess I could go support the team for the first round (and potentially beyond), why not right? Playoff hockey is playoff hockey and is always nice to take in. The team just has to make it there and not be blanked in 4 games.

For the foreseeable, I don't see Roop leaving, so I guess it is status-quo for now. I still think the team missed the boat with the name. The area has such a fluent railroad history (and museum... yes it is a real thing). The Komoka Express would have been a good option, but I am no pro at this.

Cheers
I’ve always been a fan of junior hockey at all levels. It’s about the kids. Cheers.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

jimmorrison wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:05 pm If players leaving for Jr.C is a bad sign perhaps Marcie may want to comment on his Rockets latest departures

That would be interesting