Elmira Sugar Kings

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Bobbyorr

Elmira Sugar Kings

Post by Bobbyorr »

In the last 10 years have we ever had a worse start. What is wrong with this team ?
HockeyDad1

Re: Elmira Sugar Kings

Post by HockeyDad1 »

Its 4 games.....
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

HockeyDad1 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:52 pm Its 4 games.....
It's being talked about already at Midwest games though. People are stunned.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Bobbyorr wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:31 pm In the last 10 years have we ever had a worse start. What is wrong with this team ?
You don't have Reinhart.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

I think it's funny that they are tied with Buffalo for the most amount of points.

Elmira didn't have Reinhart at the beginning of the 2015/16 season either.

I wonder if they will announce that they were the 2016 Sutherland Cup champions as the players jump on the ice every period. They did that after they won the 2015/16 Cherrey Cup and to be honest, it made me loose respect for the team.
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

Got their first win last night. Wasn't there but it seems like it was a solid effort from the Kings.

I do believe goaltending is part of the issue. Reinhart was their backbone last season. Interesting that they started the young goalie in Stratford last night. Skinner hadn't found the net before last night. A lot of new personnel this season trying to get used to each other. Time will tell if it comes together or not.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

jfvoll wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:24 pm

I wonder if they will announce that they were the 2016 Sutherland Cup champions as the players jump on the ice every period. They did that after they won the 2015/16 Cherrey Cup and to be honest, it made me loose respect for the team.
That's for the fans though, isn't it? To give them something to be excited about, and maybe remind them how good they were last season. It might give the players a boost too, might remind them of what they're capable of.

I get your point though. It does make it sound like they're bragging about it every chance they get. I guess great teams like Elmira don't have much of a reason to announce that though, winning is expected from them, and a few other teams every year. Maybe if a middle of the pack team pulled off a huge upset and won the cup. Then I could see why they would announce it after every period, got to be proud of a once in a lifetime experience.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Gibletman

Post by Gibletman »

That was a convicing win over Startford. Almost outshot Guelph the last game 2-1 and was beating Caladonia 3-1 in the third period, who came back and won. Give this team time with their new head coach and I am sure they will be a very good team. Some of these teams have made miminal changes but Elmira had to re-stock half their roster and now with Goodwin back from the Steelhaeds it will be a very good team.
Bobbyorr

Post by Bobbyorr »

Any word on the Bond kid that left after blocking a shot? We heard he was going to help the offensevand be a strong 3 or 4 D?
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

So any thoughts on what the issue(s) are with the Kings? Up and down this season. A very lacklustre performance in Listowel last night except for young Kimmel in net. :?:
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

Hockeylover321 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:02 pm So any thoughts on what the issue(s) are with the Kings? Up and down this season. A very lacklustre performance in Listowel last night except for young Kimmel in net. :?:
They have the horses, but they don't have the coaching. Skill can only get you so far. Have a look at special teams. Having that good of a roster, and being at the bottom on the power play comes down to coaching. The goalie is obvious, but there is more skill on that roster in my opinion. Midwest is the toughest division to win in, tough games every night. Playoffs will come down to coaching, and if they get bounced early, that will prove it
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

SugarKing wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:53 pm
Hockeylover321 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:02 pm So any thoughts on what the issue(s) are with the Kings? Up and down this season. A very lacklustre performance in Listowel last night except for young Kimmel in net. :?:
They have the horses, but they don't have the coaching. Skill can only get you so far. Have a look at special teams. Having that good of a roster, and being at the bottom on the power play comes down to coaching. The goalie is obvious, but there is more skill on that roster in my opinion. Midwest is the toughest division to win in, tough games every night. Playoffs will come down to coaching, and if they get bounced early, that will prove it
Overall I think the coaching staff doesn't have enough experience. At least one of the assistants should have more experience in the league.

I don't think that is the overall problem though. Last season there was tons of chemistry particularly on the 1st line. This season not so much. It seems to be a struggle to get someone to click with Skinner. Last season he and Brown knew where each other were without even looking. Goaltending is up and down. I keep wondering what would happen if they gave Kimmel the starting job for a while to see what happens. He is totally keen and has the talent and enthusiasm that seems to be missing in the starter now.

Brampton tonight should be a win but the way things are right now who knows.
Gibletman

Post by Gibletman »

I've been watching this team and the question is do these players want to play for this coach, doesnt look at like. The problem is this coach does not hold any of his players accountable. Nobody is sat for brutal give aways or breakdowns. Kids get the same amount of ice and this has been going on so sometimes you have a team that shows up and sometiomes you dont. Do you think a coach like Dale Hunter would stand for this? I think you need that kind of coach to right the ship in this case.