New Jr C Rule

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

New Jr C Rule

Post by RocketGirl »

There's a new Jr C rule restricting Jr B and A players. How do you think this might affect us?

The rule states a team is only allowed four players who are 19 years old or older (1998 or older for the upcoming season) who have previously registered with a higher category team or teams for two or more seasons and is protected on a final roster (Feb. 10) returning to a lower category than originally registered.

I took this from an article in the Cambridge Times about Ayr possibly applying to move up to Be to take Cambridge's spot for next season.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
ILuvHackey

Re: New Jr C Rule

Post by ILuvHackey »

Less players dropping down at deadline in their final B year.

C teams will take more midget eligible players to compensate which will weaken Ontario Midget hockey.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I would think that it would provide the GMHL with a better talent pool. Those players wanting to play down are still going to find something that works. If C is filled they will go to the outlaw leagues before enrolling in beer league. For the GOJHL it will result in less development fees coming back since a release won't be necessary. A lose-lose scenario in my opinion.
Seth

Post by Seth »

There are lots of PJHL teams that didn't even come close to the limit of four B players. They should have just named it the Ayr rule. Before the playoffs had started I remember seeing a stat saying that Ayr's roster had almost 300 playoff games of experience above the C level.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Seth wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:47 pm There are lots of PJHL teams that didn't even come close to the limit of four B players. They should have just named it the Ayr rule. Before the playoffs had started I remember seeing a stat saying that Ayr's roster had almost 300 playoff games of experience above the C level.
I remember last year (2015-2016) seeing all the players I remembered from Jr B.

I can see less players leaving at the deadline to play Jr C, finish their GOJHL career and play an extra year in the GML
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Looks like a positive for this league. Our rule restricts 20 year olds. So maybe we'll get a few more 19 year olds coming down from the OJHL.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

The middle to lower money Jr C teams are happy with this ruling in limiting players with Jrb/Tier 2 experience...until they realize that now the Big money teams will be targeting their top end Jr C players with no Jr B experience...the Ayr - Essex-Alliston-Walkerton-Stayners-Dorchesters of the world still exist and will keep spending boatloads of money...if OHA enforced their own rules on paying players and cap release fees to other teams then there would be fewer problems
richard

Post by richard »

The oha has been around seems like forever yet and this seems crazy they still have to come up with rules to try and level playing fields. How is this working.
Oha has too many rules, too structured, etc.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Bottom line, it doesn't matter if it's Jr.B or Jr,C , the decisions coming out of the OHA Cambridge Office shows how incompetent these decisions makers are. How long can this go on before it all blows up in their face ????????????????
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

There are 2 ways to make a decision. The right way and the OHA way.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Well, then I guess it is time to get down to the business of making decisions the right way!
HockeyGod

Post by HockeyGod »

Also another new rule that should have been put in place is all JRC teams able to sign 3,16yrs.Having been at many jrc,jrb camps the last few years this rule needs to be inplace.OHA you need to wake up with only one 16yrd able to sign in JRC is a joke your not making the league any better.The reason why is total BS
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

The 16 year old caps are imposed by Hockey Canada. The OHA actually isn't at fault for that one.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Upping 16 yr olds to 3 in C would have big implications for Midget Hockey.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

as much as it makes sense for Jr C to have more 16 year olds it will never happen...AAA hockey has more pull than the OHA within the OHF and hockey Canada...Hockey Canada does dictate how many 16 yr old cards are available but I think OHA has interpreted that rule to their own best interests... they are now limiting the movement of 16 yr old cards when they are having off ice battles with the GOJHL...wouldn't expect any less
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Coach..agree..but it wasn't so long ago that Midget hockey was being decimated by the number of 16 year-olds playing at the junior level. Midget Hockey and the Air Canada Cup was where it was at!

I guess there are several ways to get around it. Say, limiting the number of true AAA centres and possibly establish "regional" hubs for AAA. Or limiting, contracting the number of "A", "B" and "C" entries which won't happen because guess what, more teams equals more players equals more registration fees and a whole lot of money for those involved.

Life was so much better and in control under the CAHA! At least there wasn't the clusterf**k that is Ontario. This province, or if I may be frank, this part of the province under the OHF is a clusterf**k!!! This area is far too political and the politics get in the way of making decisions that are truly "in the best interests of the game".