Brantford Going Jr A?

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Brantford Going Jr A?

Post by RocketGirl »

I've heard, and now seen on Twitter, that Brantford's owner has bought Milton of the OJHL. I've also heard that he's applied to move them to Brantford. If this gets approved, what does this mean for the GOJHL?

Does Milton essentially just fold and Brantford becomes Jr A? Does Milton become a GOJHL team? If Brantford does move up, that leaves only 7 teams in the Midwest. Do they move a team over from the other Conferences?

So many questions and of course no answers. We'll have to see what happens.

Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Undertaker

Re: Brantford Going Jr A?

Post by Undertaker »

I saw that but nothing yet on Miltons site or the OJHL site, however that doesn't mean nothing is happening. Assuming this is factual, I would think it would be a relocation with all of the Milton players like we are seeing with Lambton Shores moving to Komoka. Some players may ask for trades to stay close to the GTA but the bulk would be moving to Brantford. I would think Dedobbelaer would be looking to sell the JR B franchise to someone who might move the team to a new location, Trying to operate both teams in Brantford maybe a significant challenge since they would be looking for more billets and sponsors to support both teams.

I don't think there are enough fans in Brantford to support 2 teams so in the end there is a possibility of folding the Jr B team. The league could move St Marys to the Midwest to create 3 divisions of 8. Then the playoff structure needs to be reworked, so the regular season isn't meaningless by not eliminating any teams for playoffs.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Would still need OHA rubber stamp approval but it would be interesting to see how it plays out.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm reading that the OHA has denied the purchase and relocation of Milton, so I guess the 99er's will still be Jr B for this season.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

It looks like the OHA is being tight lipped on this decision. Here is a bit more insight.

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2017/0 ... -franchise
arenaguy99

Post by arenaguy99 »

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact they missed the deadline to file for change in ownership / relocation?
HockeyFan35

Post by HockeyFan35 »

I like this line the best - "You can't just say no we deny because we don't feel like it" - I feel this line is the OHA to a "T" recently. So many smoke and mirrors. It's a bit concerning.

Hoping Brantford can grasp this in the next year or two, I think it would be great for the city granted the brass can put on a solid show.
I’ve always been a fan of junior hockey at all levels. It’s about the kids. Cheers.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

If it isn't the timing of the application, I don't know what the rationale could be. Mr DeDobblelaer appears to have structured this in a way that should cause minimal harm if any to either community. With the proposal to relocate the B team to Milton it would leave both communities with junior hockey. A level hockey west of the QEW is a need the has been reiterated many times. Bringing a GOJHL team into the GTA could only help with player exposure. The OJHL was 100% in favour of this move. What we don't know is what was the GOJHL position on this and what the OHA concern is.
Seth

Post by Seth »

According to Darryl Smart's article DeDobellar was hoping to move the Jr B Franchise to Hamilton.

https://www.brantnews.com/sports-story/ ... gA.twitter
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2017/ ... hawks

The OHA has reversed their decision about the purchase of Milton.
Queen of the GOJHL

arenaguy99

Post by arenaguy99 »

RocketGirl wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:24 pm http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2017/ ... hawks

The OHA has reversed their decision about the purchase of Milton.
Now isn't that an interesting turn of events.

All of a sudden Milton gets approved I wonder what changed their minds....

I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that late last week the sale of the Wellington Dukes was approved and then a couple days later Milton decision is reversed.

How would that look of the announcement of the Wellington Dukes being sold and Milton being rejected could explain the change of heart from the OHA lol
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

Simple answer. Follow the proper process and procedure and then things will get done. Original activities around the Milton sale did not follow proper procedures.