Final Round in the West

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Blades

Final Round in the West

Post by Blades »

I wonder how many here are as surprised as I am that the #3 and #4 seeded teams are playing for the Western crown? I find that I am, at least a little.
Funny also that both games played tonight to clinch the series for the two teams had an identical score of 6-1.
So who becomes the West Champ? and why?
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
RocketGirl

Re: Final Round in the West

Post by RocketGirl »

I know that in Nov I was asked who would be in the West final and I said London, just wasn't sure who they would play.

But like you, I'm a bit surprised about Chatham. Going into play-offs nobody wanted to play them. Everybody I talked to had said that they would be the team to beat. Well, I guess London took that and said, watch us!
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

London is probably too deep to lose a best of seven series to the Flyers. But look at LaSalle, they fired 46 shots at Leamington's net tonight and only got one past their goalie.

Leamington has a few players putting up a lot of points in the playoffs. These were decent players in the regular season, who've seemed to kick it up a notch. With the above in mind, they're also a very well coached team.

London has a lot of firepower up front, but as we saw during the LaSalle series, that might not mean much if Leamington keeps getting amazing goaltending. But I think London has a better defensive game than LaSalle. So this will be an even bigger challenge, IMO, than LaSalle. London has gotten pretty good goaltending, but I think Leamington has gotten better goaltending then them...

London in 7
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

i heard there were some problems between the Chatham ownership and there players. Sounds like some of the players were guaranteed quite a bit of money but never saw any of it. Sounded as though the players weren't too motivated play anymore. This is just what i have heard but can't confirm for sure.

As for this series i think London is too deep and will likely overrun leamington. You can't let 45 shots a game against in a final round series and expect to win.
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

It's funny you say that about Chatham because as I watched them play tonight and the lack of skill I leaned over to my niece and said, "it's almost as if they're playing like this on purpose." LOL. It was horrible.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

London 03/24/17 DEL McKinnon, Ian (F) placed on league suspension for minimum 7 games

He's gone for the finals.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Schedule Released

1 Leamington at London Wed, Mar 29 7:30 PM
2 London at Leamington Thu, Mar 30 7:10 PM
3 Leamington at London Sat, Apr 01 7:30 PM
4 London at Leamington Sun, Apr 02 7:10 PM
5 Leamington at London Wed, Apr 05 7:30 PM
6 London at Leamington Thu, Apr 06 7:10 PM
7 Leamington at London Sat, Apr 08 7:30 PM
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Both teams are welled coached, both teams play on the big ice, both teams are coming off huge playoff wins. Leamington isn't as good as they were last season, not even close and the Nats disposed of them in 6. I honestly don't see this going past 5 games with the Nats defending the west crown. Lasalle should be ashamed of what happened against Leamington, Chatham is just a train wreck so even though its surprising it's not surprising. A few years back they were #2 seed when the #7 seed Nats beat them out, it's been happening for a while now.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I wouldn't say for Lasalle to be ashamed, perhaps give the young flyers some credit, wont be a cake walk like everyone thinks for London.
End of a era in Leamington
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

flyers2011 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:47 am I wouldn't say for Lasalle to be ashamed, perhaps give the young flyers some credit, wont be a cake walk like everyone thinks for London.
I did, I said Leamington were well coached.
I watched the finals last season when the Nats staff found ways to beat a team that finished well ahead of the rest of the conference. It's not luck by any stretch of the imagination. Now my hats off to the Leamington staff and shame on Lasalle for thinking they didn't have to come to the table with a plan. They should be ashamed, they just threw away a great regular season.
phillipdh

Post by phillipdh »

Schedule graphic for the finals.

You can download the schedule for your phone/tablet/computer here: http://bit.ly/2c5r1AH
I make hockey teams look good
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Game 1 was intense last night, anyone else there to see it? Leamington is actually playing alot better then I originally thought, should be great games regardless of how long it goes.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Big 2-0 win for the Flyers. They might have the best 1-2 punch in the league guarding their net.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

definatley not the same Flyers team as the regular season, Been awesome to see this young team get better and better. Solid performance in net by Noah Hedrick last night between the pipes. GO FLYERS
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Nice seeing an under dog story this year. Kinda like waterloo last year
Cal 99ers

Post by Cal 99ers »

Picked a couple of nice days went for the long drive to see London play,saw a big Chatham team skate just as hard and fast as the little speedsters on London.What a surprise to see the last game and there doesn't appear to be any urgency to Chathams game.Everyones skating half speed from what we saw.They slowly moved into Londons zone unapposed took their shot then skated back up ice.Is London really that good?Maybe a St Kitts Leamington final.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I think London has the best offense in the West. They have a lot of players that are used to logging a lot of minutes on the team's they were on before.(St.Marys, St.Thomas) I think having several veterans who've played big minutes for other team's in this league is a big advantage over imports. Imports need to get used to the league, and that can take a lot of time in some cases.

Nother, Brookshaw, Glover, Trottier, etc. They have a lot of firepower on that team.
Cal 99ers

Post by Cal 99ers »

3-0 London, looks like Kitchener playing the 99ers
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Cal 99ers wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:46 pm 3-0 London, looks like Kitchener playing the 99ers
Ya I felt it was as close to a dominating win as you could get. Never really any doubt tonight. Now it's Leamington's turn.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

That was the most boring game I've seen in a while. Definitely not a Conference finals game. Leamington had no energy, London wasn't any better. I spent the majority of the game scanning the crowd to see who I knew.
Queen of the GOJHL

Cal 99ers

Post by Cal 99ers »

In London tonite it reminded me of some Caledonia series over the last few years.When that happened people were livid over the talent differences.Don't see anyone here spewing about raiding bottom teams of their talent, leaving the division a lot weeker.
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

RocketGirl wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:57 pm That was the most boring game I've seen in a while. Definitely not a Conference finals game. Leamington had no energy, London wasn't any better. I spent the majority of the game scanning the crowd to see who I knew.
Allowing 12 shots in a game, and not being any better? Watched the game on hockeytv, and I respect the way London played that game. Good on special teams, had the puck in Leamingtons end most of the game. Leamington didn't get any momentum elsewhere, and I think there's a reason for that. Have to give credit where credit is due. Maybe you should have watched the game instead of scanning the crowd.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

The game wasn't captivating enough to keep my attention for all 60 minutes, so I found other things that were more exciting.
Queen of the GOJHL

Cal 99ers

Post by Cal 99ers »

She's right,it was brutal.Bunch of little guys figure skating around pylons,felt sorry for the goalie then went back to my knitting.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Very boring game, I agree with RG. And nothing against the western Fair arena its a nice complex but it has to be the most boring place to watch a game, no atmosphere or anything. Very strange. Hopefully a much better game tonight, must win in my eyes for the Flyers.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cal 99ers wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:53 pm In London tonite it reminded me of some Caledonia series over the last few years.When that happened people were livid over the talent differences.Don't see anyone here spewing about raiding bottom teams of their talent, leaving the division a lot weeker.
Funny, isn't it. :wink:
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

With their win tonight, London advances to the Final Four.

This might be the most balanced final four teams since the league switched to this format.
I figure the final four will probably be;

London
Caledonia
Listowel
Elmira
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/04/05/londo ... e-champion

A lot of talk about Chatham and LaSalle. The Great run Leamington was having in the playoffs.
But London has quietly won the division fairly easily. Winning 12 games and losing 3 games.
They look to be the top team going into the Sutherland cup playoffs.
Not seeing them play ( only at the showcase) this year are they that good. They look to get a lot of scoring from there forwards not to much from there D
Is Zanussi that good. Don't know a lot about him only saw him play a couple times in Brantford. Or is this another Savory ( St Kitts) story better team better goalie.
DropDPuck

Post by DropDPuck »

London is very much a deserving Champion. This is one of the better teams to come out of the West in a while. Zanussi can run hot and cold but puck possession forwards and good skating, puck moving D are a nice thing to have on your side. They are not near the same team they were on showcase weekend, similar to your Corvairs. Haven't seen your team since the changes but saw lots of London and really like them. 3 strong lines, speed and skill!

Should be some great hockey to finish this season off.
Hockey1

Post by Hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:57 pm That was the most boring game I've seen in a while. Definitely not a Conference finals game. Leamington had no energy, London wasn't any better. I spent the majority of the game scanning the crowd to see who I knew.
I guess you have to be on the winning team to appreciate it.