Chatham vs London

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Chatham vs London

Post by RocketGirl »

Figured we might as well have a separate topic for this series.

Game 1: Chatham Memorial Arena — Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 7pm

Game 2: Western Fair Arena, London — Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 7:30pm

Game 3: Chatham Memorial Arena — Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 7pm

Game 4: Western Fair Arena, London — Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 7:30pm

Game 5 (if necessary): Chatham Memorial Arena — Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 7pm

Game 6 (if necessary): Western Fair Arena, London — Saturday, March 25 at 7:30pm

Game 7 (if necessary): Chatham Memorial Arena — Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 7pm

I'm reading that Chatham is up to their old tricks again. Just as they did a few years ago, they have denied London Rogers access to the arena to get highlights of the road games. They claimed the last time it was because of Cogeco, and I kinda get it, but why can't they just be there for highlights? They're not broadcasting the game live.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Re: Chatham vs London

Post by flyers2011 »

Typical Chatham but it is there arena they can do what they want there.
End of a era in Leamington
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I always thought there was something in the league constitution about not denying media access to other teams. I could be wrong. Possibly it was discussed but never added.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Marcie wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:17 pm I always thought there was something in the league constitution about not denying media access to other teams. I could be wrong. Possibly it was discussed but never added.
I remember Toffolo refusing to let the press in the press box for a game in Port several years ago. They weren't impressed, even wrote an article about it in the local paper.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

There is an OHA policy regarding TV/radio.

SECTION R
TELEVISION REGULATIONS
R1 A team may not enter into a long term contract with a cable television company based on the inability of cable television companies to secure advertising revenue under C.R.T.C.Regulations.

C.R.T.C. Regulations could however be amended to provide for changes in this area which would allow the OHA membership to review this policy.

R2 Provided permission has been granted by the OHA and the arena management, and both competing teams have previously agreed, a game may be taped for future broadcast and/or televised live on cable television.

R3 Copies of the standard OHA cable television agreement must be executed and filed with the OHA office prior to any OHA game being shown on cable television.

R4 Where an OHA Game has been televised by cable TV station, without the permission of the parties as outlined in (R2) above, such violation of the OHA Television Agreement will be reported to the C.R.T.C.

R5 Permission for live or delayed broadcasts of any OHA game on privately owned or National networks must be secured from the OHA Board of Directors.

Delayed partial broadcasts of game highlights for the use of Sports News are exempted from this regulation.

RADIO REGULATIONS
R6 A team may have its home games broadcast by radio providing the radio station has secured permission from both competing teams.

It is recommended that permission be secured from management of the arena from which the broadcasts will emanate.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Chatham takes game one 4-1. Looks like Chatham's best players got the job done. Holding London to a single goal is impressive.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Very evenly played game. Goaltender Johnston was the difference.
BlackJacket

Post by BlackJacket »

Saturday night will tell me everything I need to know.
Johnston was good but I thought the team that deserved to win the game won game 1. Londons potent offence was rather limited in quality chances I felt.
Wonder if any of these guys are celebrating st Patrick's day, back to back games sat-sun
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

And London storms back with a 7 2 win.

Johnston got no support in front of him, and he even let them know it in the 2nd when Horvat called a time out and Johnston yelled at his bench. It was funny to watch, but I give him props for that.

I'm really not sure what's going to happen in this series, my gut tells me Chatham in 6, but London's not going to back down either. Whoever wins, it's gonna be a fight to the final whistle.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Pretty much how I saw this series going so far. London makes Chatham look bad in game 2... But I won't be surprised if Chatham returns the favor tomorrow. I gotta give Johnston credit too. There's a ton of talent on that team. Hopefully this was a lesson learned about never taking a shift off in the playoffs. :)
Hockey53

Post by Hockey53 »

Chatham has to stay out of the box. Took four straight unanswered penalties. 4 of London's goals on the PP :evil:
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

I agree with all of the comments about game 2. The reffing was very one sided and they knew it, but by the time they started to call it straight it was to late.

The big players for Chatham need to step up in game 3. Where was Beenackers, Yetman, Sarfati, D`Agostino and Thompson? These guys need to step up and lead.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

Game 3 wasnt much better the boys had a slow start and thats on them but they worked hard battled back in the third only to get screwed for overtime and the refs know they screwed up as soon as the winner was scored by london they bolted off the ice. Enjoy your 2-1 lead nats but dont get comfortable.
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

brad 36 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:11 pm Game 3 wasnt much better the boys had a slow start and thats on them but they worked hard battled back in the third only to get screwed for overtime and the refs know they screwed up as soon as the winner was scored by london they bolted off the ice. Enjoy your 2-1 lead nats but dont get comfortable.
Looks like Chatham had more power plays than London. And how can a ref get a spearing penalty wrong? More so, why would a player get involved in something like that with no time on the clock, in a huge game like that. Sorry Brad, I'm not buying it. No discipline, or a coach that can't control his players. That's what I'd put money on.
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

SugarKing wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:39 pm Looks like Chatham had more power plays than London. And how can a ref get a spearing penalty wrong? More so, why would a player get involved in something like that with no time on the clock, in a huge game like that. Sorry Brad, I'm not buying it. No discipline, or a coach that can't control his players. That's what I'd put money on.
I would have to agree. Bushnell has a hot temper (which is good when he focuses it into intensity). But in this case he never should have been on the ice at the part of the game.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

I was at the game you both were not the call was crap even another ref in the stands watched it and went upstairs and watched it again and said the same but you guys believe what you want
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

brad 36 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm I was at the game you both were not the call was crap even another ref in the stands watched it and went upstairs and watched it again and said the same but you guys believe what you want
Looking at some of Chatham's penalties. Captain gets inciting, big acquisition Sarfati takes a charging penalty. Sarfati 1 assist in three games, and Bushnell takes a spearing penalty at the end of the game. That tells me the team is very undisciplined, and has a coach who deploys the wrong players at the wrong time. With Chatham fans screaming for blood, it seems like that's all the team hears, including the coach.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Hey Brad, as the lone Maroons fan who actually posts, I got a question for you, and if you can't/won't answer, that's cool.

I've been reading the Maroons articles in the Daily News lately and notice that there are never any quotes from Chatham. This is presumably due to the communication ban against Mark Malone, but he's got a job to do, so he's gonna do it somehow.

They expressed that they were shutting him out because they didn't like the way the team was being portrayed in the paper. With the communication ban, do you think this is actually benefitting the team? I know that there's CKSN, but the paper is probably more widely read. As it stands now, Maroons fans are heading to a newspaper to read their weekly articles, and it's about another team.
Queen of the GOJHL

brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

Honestly rg its probably not benefiting the team but I see both sides of this issue and at the end of the day its the owners choice right or wrong. Thank you for understanding tho. Sugar king I never stated the refs. were terrible the hole game what I said was that they made a horrible call that potentially cost tge maroons the game there was another ref which I will not name on here that was in the stands that said the same and obviously by the refs action after the goal they knew it as well
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

SugarKing wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm
brad 36 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm I was at the game you both were not the call was crap even another ref in the stands watched it and went upstairs and watched it again and said the same but you guys believe what you want
Looking at some of Chatham's penalties. Captain gets inciting, big acquisition Sarfati takes a charging penalty. Sarfati 1 assist in three games, and Bushnell takes a spearing penalty at the end of the game. That tells me the team is very undisciplined, and has a coach who deploys the wrong players at the wrong time. With Chatham fans screaming for blood, it seems like that's all the team hears, including the coach.
and by the way i just watched the replay as well and there was NO spear on the play the london player skated in to him and fell acted like he was dead to get the call
FedUpSeenEnough

Post by FedUpSeenEnough »

You are right about it not being a spear brad. There was a sharp little crosscheck though. Borderline to call or not, but the rolling on the ice sold it. Dumb play to give the nats who are well known for embellishment, the opportunity to get a call by the maroon player, borderline or not. OT goal scored during the first 2 minute penalty so the double minor didn't have a chance to come into play.
Lilomnivore

Post by Lilomnivore »

FedUpSeenEnough wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:13 pm You are right about it not being a spear brad. There was a sharp little crosscheck though. Borderline to call or not, but the rolling on the ice sold it. Dumb play to give the nats who are well known for embellishment, the opportunity to get a call by the maroon player, borderline or not. OT goal scored during the first 2 minute penalty so the double minor didn't have a chance to come into play.
I understand either way the pentaly was called, 2 or 4, it would have incurred in the time the goal was scored. The part that bothers me the most is this incident happened with at least 30 seconds left on the clock. The play came out of their zone, all the way back in and all the way to the buzzer with 20 laying on the ice flopping like a fish on ice. Thus if anyone saw it, the play should have been blown down right away. Instead they all huddled for 5 min after the period ended and decided to call something that never happened.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Sounds like both series have had bad officiating, Game 2 in Leamington, Vipers 4th goal the flyer goalie gets ran over which leads to the vipers putting the puck in the net, No call. Game 3 Flyers goalie gets ran no call which leads to Piroski's ejection. I also saw a video of the "spear" and I don't normally agree with Brad at all but in this case looks like hes right.
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Gotta love it when they call stuff that they didn't even see. When that happens, it just proves that they make a lot of stuff up as they go. They are supposed to call what they see, how do you see something that didn't even happen. :?:

So they huddled up, well after the play, and decided that they thought he was speared... Had to have 'thought', not 'seen', because the video doesn't lie. Where's the discipline to the refs in these situations?? They clearly made a call that nobody saw happen. :smt031
Blades

Post by Blades »

Until such time as having video evidence that refs can access easily during a game -- you know, like in the NHL where a call is made to the head honchos who have multiple angles to see a play and they determine if there is sufficient evidence to reverse the call -- we will have to deal with what is called.
I *think* the OHL might also have something similar but ... well brain is in a fog today :D

I also believe there was a means to protest actions of a game. Not sure if this is still in place or how it works and what type of action/call a team can protest.

Sounds like an "interesting" series thus far.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Dr. Pepper

Post by Dr. Pepper »

Blades wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:15 pm Until such time as having video evidence that refs can access easily during a game -- you know, like in the NHL where a call is made to the head honchos who have multiple angles to see a play and they determine if there is sufficient evidence to reverse the call -- we will have to deal with what is called.
I *think* the OHL might also have something similar but ... well brain is in a fog today
:D

I also believe there was a means to protest actions of a game. Not sure if this is still in place or how it works and what type of action/call a team can protest.

Not the NHL nor any other league has the means to reverse or confirm the call on a penalty with video replay . The other on ice officials will come in and discuss what the severity of the penalty is or if one is warranted. Video replay is for scoring plays only. No league is going to throw their officials under the bus like that. Can you imagine how long it would take to play a game with all these replays of penalties and missed penalties because no coach ever thinks his team did anything wrong.
I also don't believe the statement that "even another ref in the stands watched it and went upstairs and watched it again and said the same", unless the guy was a Chatham minor hockey reff.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Tonight's game is everything to London. Strangle hold or seven game marathon. Going to be a great game, the missed calls are behind both teams now. It's put up or shut up time.
Blades

Post by Blades »

Dr. Pepper wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:31 am
Blades wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:15 pm Until such time as having video evidence that refs can access easily during a game -- you know, like in the NHL where a call is made to the head honchos who have multiple angles to see a play and they determine if there is sufficient evidence to reverse the call -- we will have to deal with what is called.
I *think* the OHL might also have something similar but ... well brain is in a fog today
:D

Not the NHL nor any other league has the means to reverse or confirm the call on a penalty with video replay . The other on ice officials will come in and discuss what the severity of the penalty is or if one is warranted. Video replay is for scoring plays only. No league is going to throw their officials under the bus like that. Can you imagine how long it would take to play a game with all these replays of penalties and missed penalties because no coach ever thinks his team did anything wrong.
I also don't believe the statement that "even another ref in the stands watched it and went upstairs and watched it again and said the same", unless the guy was a Chatham minor hockey reff.
I stand corrected ... thanks :D
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

8-2 thumping tonight, looks like this series is pretty much over.