New rules for 2017-2018 season

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

HockeyGod

New rules for 2017-2018 season

Post by HockeyGod »

Thought I would start up this subject as I find the GOJHL has many flaws that need to be fixed for the future of this league.I don't think everyone is impressed how this league is being run.Having read some complaints about the trade deadline,the amount of money spent on players etc.I will post my rule changes in the near future and hope others will post theres.With putting the minds together we can hopefully come up with some good ideas.I plan to have new rules brought to the league meeting this summer as I see it many teams will fold in the next 5yrs if new rules aren't put in place or current rules aren't tightend up
Welland Cougars

Re: New rules for 2017-2018 season

Post by Welland Cougars »

The GOJHL doesn't care about your new rules, and neither do I.

Next.
Unhappy fan

Post by Unhappy fan »

My goodness someone attempts to start serious dialogue regarding Junior B hockey and immediately sarcasm starts. I would agree there needs to be huge adjustments, or as you pointed out the smaller market teams will cease to exist. If you don't have something insightful to add to the conversation keep your comments to yourself.
drafty

Post by drafty »

"....smaller market teams will cease to exist...."
I've always been curious as to what constitutes a "small market". Would a town of, say, 10,000 people where 150 show up to watch a game (with that attendance being one of the lowest in the league) be considered such? I would think so, but that would be Caledonia, the richest (apparently) and most successful franchise in the league, much more so than any of the large city teams.
I think a more apt description than 'small market' would be 'shallow pockets'.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Unhappy fan wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:49 am My goodness someone attempts to start serious dialogue regarding Junior B hockey and immediately sarcasm starts. I would agree there needs to be huge adjustments, or as you pointed out the smaller market teams will cease to exist. If you don't have something insightful to add to the conversation keep your comments to yourself.
He never has anything to add. I don't even know what he wrote because I blocked him a month ago, and I haven't had much interest in un collapsing his posts since then.

There's always 'warnings' given to those who go off topic, or to those who are inciting... Yet trolls are allowed to make multiple accounts and just sign in for the sole purpose of trolling. This forum is going to die off soon. I know that I don't plan on coming back next year at this point. :smt031 :smt117
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Why wait for next season, you could stop posting now. And I could delete your account to help ya out.

As for some new rules, I'll pass my suggestions on to a GM who could do something with them rather than a random fan.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:59 pm Why wait for next season, you could stop posting now. And I could delete your account to help ya out.

As for some new rules, I'll pass my suggestions on to a GM who could do something with them rather than a random fan.
I'm free to make my own decisions. Why don't you delete your own account, it's mostly used to incite arguments anyways.

#DramaQueenOfTheGOJHL
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Port hockey1 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:23 pm
RocketGirl wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:59 pm Why wait for next season, you could stop posting now. And I could delete your account to help ya out.

I'm free to make my own decisions. Why don't you delete your own account, it's mostly used to incite arguments anyways.

#DramaQueenOfTheGOJHL
And yours is not?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GOJHLfan1 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:31 pm
Port hockey1 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:23 pm

#DramaQueenOfTheGOJHL
And yours is not?
Looking through my posts from this season... Nope!! Feel free to come back with some quotes though. I could quote hers all night long.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

You said that you aren't coming back next year, so I was just giving you an option.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Welland Cougars

Port hockey1 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:09 pm
Unhappy fan wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:49 am My goodness someone attempts to start serious dialogue regarding Junior B hockey and immediately sarcasm starts. I would agree there needs to be huge adjustments, or as you pointed out the smaller market teams will cease to exist. If you don't have something insightful to add to the conversation keep your comments to yourself.
He never has anything to add. I don't even know what he wrote because I blocked him a month ago, and I haven't had much interest in un collapsing his posts since then.

There's always 'warnings' given to those who go off topic, or to those who are inciting... Yet trolls are allowed to make multiple accounts and just sign in for the sole purpose of trolling. This forum is going to die off soon. I know that I don't plan on coming back next year at this point. :smt031 :smt117
People don't post they are going to leave, they just do. Unless you're just looking for attention....

That reads like a teenage girl on Facebook.

I'm just SO upset right now....
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:39 pm You said that you aren't coming back next year, so I was just giving you an option.
I said at this point, I don't plan on coming back next year. Meaning I'm not sure if I will be posting next year. I didn't say I was leaving 100%.

That's exactly what I mean about trying to start something. You twisted my words, and are saying I said that I'm not coming back. Then you offered to delete my account. That isn't just a little childish in your opinion?

I'll be around, I just won't be posting nearly as often. That is for a number of reasons. Anyways, as of now I will only be posting the odd time here or there.(for the rest of the season and playoffs)(will likely only post about Caledonia when/if I decide to post) Mostly because I'm just tired of the drama in general. I have a troll blocked, who I see is still posting right after I do, can just imagine what those little gems say, if I was a betting man, I'd say they have nothing to do with hockey... But again, I have no desire to look.

Then there's a few others, who've been around for a while who seem to think I post garbage and that I like to start arguments, or that I'm 'rude'.

Well I've taken the time to start a lot of threads here over the last few years. Some of those threads exploded, others not so much. But it can't be denied that I've went to great lengths to keep this forum exciting and fun to read. From trade rumors, stats, predictions, and just strong opinions at times.

So again, I'm simply taking a break for the rest of the season. I'm not sure if I'll be back next year or not. That's a decision I'll have to make when the season is about to start.

To those who've enjoyed my threads, posts, and banter; It's been great. To those who seem to dislike me for whatever reason; Enjoy the rest of the season.

BTW: If I do pop up from time to time during the playoffs, remember the above;
as of now I will only be posting the odd time here or there.(for the rest of the season and playoffs)
See ya guys later, best of luck to everyone's team in the playoffs. :) :smt006
Welland Cougars

Port - Drama Queen of the GOJHL

Quite the display of theatrics.
HockeyGod

Post by HockeyGod »

Hi rocket girl I started this topic and I;am very serious about these rule changes.I hope to take all rule suggestions and determine what is good for the league and what doesn't make sense. I will have these rules brought to the table as their are other management people already working on these issues. League summer meeting their maybe some big surprises coming and some owners eyes opened up.Stay tuned
Unhappy fan

Post by Unhappy fan »

Thank you hockey god, for insisting on some civility with your comments on this post. There is nothing to be gained by people engaging in a pissing contest, here or anywhere else. There are changes badly needing to be made and hopefully they will emerge with the summer meetings. Once again thanks for some commen sense and insightful responses.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

I think there need to be several changes made and they will be met with resistance.

First, limit the number of 20 year-olds to 2 per club. If a team wishes to roster a third, the penalty should be a financial one. And I am not talking $250 or $500, I am talking at a minimum $2500 per transaction. A creative way would be the loss of a 16 to 18 year-old roster player who has dressed for a minimum number of games. But if teams want to spend to bring in 20 year-olds, they should be held accountable and have to pay. Afterall, any decision the league makes should ultimately be in the best interests of the league itself.

The GOJHL touts itself as a "development" league first and foremost. How much more development will a 20 year-old player recieve by playing in the GOJHL?? Looking at current rosters, there are only 13 teams who have 2 or less 20 year-olds. A breakdown of the league shows the following:

Birth Year No. Players %
2001 0 0.00
2000 50 8.8
1999 149 26.2
1998 151 26.6
1997 134 23.6
1996 84 14.8

Using a few top teams in the league..

On three teams there are alone 18 20 year-olds with a combined 860 pts. I know it would be a tough road but those players, and the league, would be better served to be spread out more. Having a stacked team does nothing for the credibility of the league. Nor does having a team that is averaging over 10 goals against per game. The GOJHL needs to start making decisions in the best interests of the league. The OHA is not the answer. The OHF is not the answer. League decisions need to be made by the league for the league.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

I don't understand why people have such a problem with 20yr players. These kids are still in a development stage. They make the league better, and help the younger players with their development. You don't stop learning because you turn a certain age.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

I still believe the the best thing the GOJHL could do as a league is make one division with all the top teams " deep pockets" some may say. With 9-12 teams playing each other at the top level this league has to offer. They could have 8 teams in playoffs and have a league champion. The other teams play in one or two divisions, based on travel, and they could playoff against each other for another championship.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

FrozenPonds wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:26 pm A breakdown of the league shows the following:

Birth Year No. Players %
2001 0 0.00
2000 50 8.8
1999 149 26.2
1998 151 26.6
1997 134 23.6
1996 84 14.8

Using a few top teams in the league..

On three teams there are alone 18 20 year-olds with a combined 860 pts. I know it would be a tough road but those players, and the league, would be better served to be spread out more. Having a stacked team does nothing for the credibility of the league. Nor does having a team that is averaging over 10 goals against per game. The GOJHL needs to start making decisions in the best interests of the league. The OHA is not the answer. The OHF is not the answer. League decisions need to be made by the league for the league.
Hockey Canada only allows 2 16 years olds per team, so assuming every team has a 22 man roster, this would be, by HC, 9%.

As for the 20 year old thing, this isn't the OHL where it's NHL or CIS, they're guys still trying to get NCAA scholarships. This demonization of 20 year olds is a bit old.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

If you played even an ex game in the OHL, your NCAA eligibility is done! I actually think it is now even less than an ex-game. As for a 20 year-old non-OHL grad, the numbers are fewer and fewer as the years go on as there are just too many good young players especially south of the border that coaches will take a chance on. They don't view the 20 year-old as being a leader. They have junior and seniors who provide the necessary leadership.

Not demonizing any age group. What I am saying is this, spread it around! That will make the league much more competitive.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Vairs61 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:44 pm I still believe the the best thing the GOJHL could do as a league is make one division with all the top teams " deep pockets" some may say. With 9-12 teams playing each other at the top level this league has to offer. They could have 8 teams in playoffs and have a league champion. The other teams play in one or two divisions, based on travel, and they could playoff against each other for another championship.
I don't think this will ever happen. There's no way that St Catharines is going to want to get a charter bus and have to get on it around 1:00 to be in LaSalle for a 7:00 game on a Wed.

We already have 20 year olds restricted and now some of you think we should restrict 19 year olds? That's not going to solve the issues in the GOJHL.

None of you want to hear it, but the first thing that should happen is taking the money out of the game. Trading players for thousands of dollars is killing us. That's why there's such a clear divide between the haves and have-nots. It was never like this a matter of years ago. There should be a standard player value.

Next, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to cull a few of the bottom feeder teams and then do a realignment. Cut us down to 20-24 teams and then make us 2 Conferences and 4 divisions.
Queen of the GOJHL

Hockeyhead1

Post by Hockeyhead1 »

Rule Change: Mandate the rubber hose net pegs. Way too many nets come off on great scoring chances using the small pin pegs....I believe a couple of times may have been on purpose (< = sarcasm), too often effecting game outcomes.

If you don't like this, citing safety concerns, give the ref's discrection to call it a goal as they see it.
nineteensixty5

Post by nineteensixty5 »

Hockeyhead1 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:50 am Rule Change: Mandate the rubber hose net pegs. Way too many nets come off on great scoring chances using the small pin pegs....I believe a couple of times may have been on purpose (< = sarcasm), too often effecting game outcomes.
Oh I REALLY like this suggestion. :smt006
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I've heard that a GM in our Conference has made this suggestion repeatedly, to have similar pegs to Stratford and is constantly met with resistance.
Queen of the GOJHL

SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

I think in order to create a more level and competitive playing field, amalgamation or termination of organizations is the easiest way to do it. Most teams in the west have created an identity or has a history so it would be tough or unfair to do it to certain teams. St.Mary's and Lambton shores are an easy two, although the Lincolns could be on to something. Young talent being developed, players taken from other teams have been given a chance to play and succeed. But what about Strathroy? Team has gone downhill for sometime now. Amalgamating them and Lambton and have them play in Forest. Both towns seem close enough to each other, and Lambton has a nice facility with a good sized pad. Strathroy on the other hand is a low level jr.c rink at best. Too small for highly skilled players. Players benches and penalty boxes are too small, hardly any seating with most assigned to season ticket holders. Neither Lambton or Strathroy would ever have a chance competing with a higher budgeted team, but if they combined, they could maybe have enough skill to win some.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

RocketGirl wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:19 am
Vairs61 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:44 pm I still believe the the best thing the GOJHL could do as a league is make one division with all the top teams " deep pockets" some may say. With 9-12 teams playing each other at the top level this league has to offer. They could have 8 teams in playoffs and have a league champion. The other teams play in one or two divisions, based on travel, and they could playoff against each other for another championship.
I don't think this will ever happen. There's no way that St Catharines is going to want to get a charter bus and have to get on it around 1:00 to be in LaSalle for a 7:00 game on a Wed.

We already have 20 year olds restricted and now some of you think we should restrict 19 year olds? That's not going to solve the issues in the GOJHL.

None of you want to hear it, but the first thing that should happen is taking the money out of the game. Trading players for thousands of dollars is killing us. That's why there's such a clear divide between the haves and have-nots. It was never like this a matter of years ago. There should be a standard player value.

Next, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to cull a few of the bottom feeder teams and then do a realignment. Cut us down to 20-24 teams and then make us 2 Conferences and 4 divisions.
I am sure St Catherine's would have no problem travelling down to Lasalle a few times a year if it they were in a top division together. If the deep pocket teams have the money to pay large amounts for releases, I am sure they would not mind spending extra on travel for better competition. It would draw more interest and fans support as well.