Deepest Division

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Deepest Division

Post by Port hockey1 »

Since things have been fairly quiet here lately, I thought I would try and start a good debate. Out of our three divisions, witch one is the deepest when it comes to team's overall talent? Example; Witch division see's bottom team's defeating, or playing top teams very closely?

My pick for the deepest division is the West this season. From St.Marys all the way up to LaSalle, London, Chatham, etc. there's always good close games. You know a division is tight when the 7th-8th place team is defeating Cup contenders. And when the bottom team's aren't beating them, they're losing by a goal or in OT. Best hockey I've seen in this league in a while. Will make for great playoff hockey.

After the West, the Mid-West is interesting too. Brampton & Brantford seem to play good teams fairly close a lot. But there has been a few blowouts, but that's just Jr. hockey.

The Shoe is still a great ticket though. But this season there's two teams that were question marks to start the season. But full credit to Pelham, they've had a very respectable season after having a disaster of a season the year before. But Thorold falling apart has hurt the parity a little. I give Kelly a ton of credit for doing his best to hold things together. A few things didn't pan out right from the start, but they should be better next season.

Buffalo has been nothing short of an embarrassment and sideshow this season. From a player tweeting that he was forced to dress while injured , so it would help make it look like they had a full bench, to ruining the scoring title. :oops:

Anyways, just thought I'd give my take on things right now. Let's see what everyone else has to say. :) :smt006
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Cali vairs!

Re: Deepest Division

Post by Cali vairs! »

I would have to agree. The west division seems to have more even competition throughout teams compared to other divisions. I think there lower teams are of a higher caliber. The west isn't very impressing to me. Listowel is good but other then them there doesn't really seem to be a whole lot. Haven't seen Elmira though. Brantford and Brampton can have decent games but get blown out to often. The Golden Horseshoe I think has the best top 3 teams. Close with the west but i think all of these teams could win a championship. But the bottom teams in the GH are brutal. only my opinion though
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I would have to agree about the west .This is from just looking at the stats. I would like everyone to no.
I have not see any west games yet. Only at the showcase. It would be nice to here from some West fans about this subject.
I do hope to get up to London to see a few maybe playoffs. I got a question do the West have the best rivals too.
I no the Midwest and Golden Horseshoe have some good rivals. But it seems like the West have better. Or does this just come with being the deepest
division. I know Caledonia and St Kitts are great rivals but this is new. Caledonia only been in the GHL four years in JR-B hockey for five.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

We've been saying for years that the West is the best, and the Shoe is the weaker sister, it's about time the rest of you realized it.

As for rivalries, I can't speak for the other 2 Conferences, but we have teams that just absolutely hate each other, it doesn't matter what year it is.

Chatham-Sarnia
Sarnia-Strathroy
Strathroy-Chatham
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Welland Cougars

Post by Welland Cougars »

The West is the deepest, but it's not the best.

If being the weak sister wins you 4 of the last 5 Sutherland Cups (soon to be another), I'm sure they're not bothered.
BlackJacket

Post by BlackJacket »

Kind of piggy backing on this thought - I'm excited as hell to see how things shake out in the west and how the standings end up. Based on the last 2 or 3 weeks seems to be more parody than ever. But small sample size.
Playoffs should be quite entertaining as well. Would not surprise be to see a first round upset from a 5-8 seed.
If Lasalle finishes first they can potentially put it on cruise control and let Chatham and London beat up on each and await the winner to play in the conference final. That's provided top seeds all win. Like I said, an upset would be bo surprise.
In the small sample size, Sarnia, St Thomas and St Mary's believe it or not have all impressed me.
Let's buckle up and enjoy the ride.
Look forward to the traffic here picking up and sharing opinions and updates from games the rest of us might miss.
Cheers
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Welland Cougars wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 am The West is the deepest, but it's not the best.

If being the weak sister wins you 4 of the last 5 Sutherland Cups (soon to be another), I'm sure they're not bothered.
Because you have weaker competition, therefore your champion isn't as beat up and exhausted by the time they get to Sutherland.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

So Caledonia beat London last year, 4 straight because they weren't beat up? My god, what a moronic statement. I'm sure if you asked other teams to be rivals with Strathroy or Sarnia they would welcome it, both teams are trash.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

They went a perfect 20-0, so how difficult we're the play-offs?

Caledonia Fan asked for some West opinions, and since I'm the Queen, figured I'd weigh in and give mine. I don't expect anyone to agree with my logic. But if the West is the deepest, because there's more parity, then wouldn't that make us the best Conference?

And you don't ask a team to be your rival, it just happens.
Queen of the GOJHL

Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

I wish the Shoe was a better division overall. Unfortunately they have 3-4 or the worst teams in the GOJHL and 3 of the best teams.
Here is Caledonia we will have to wait to the third round to get a good series. I wish there was another way!!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Vairs61 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:51 pm I wish the Shoe was a better division overall. Unfortunately they have 3-4 or the worst teams in the GOJHL and 3 of the best teams.
Here is Caledonia we will have to wait to the third round to get a good series. I wish there was another way!!
They might get a good series in the 2nd round.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

Ancaster or Welland, I doubt it.
Welland Cougars

RocketGirl wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:02 pm
Welland Cougars wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 am The West is the deepest, but it's not the best.

Because you have weaker competition, therefore your champion isn't as beat up and exhausted by the time they get to Sutherland.

The excuses are cute. Wouldn't make a difference, Caledonia/St.Kitts would walk anyone in the West/Mid regardless.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Having 2 top teams does not make the Conference the best. You still have Buffalo.
Queen of the GOJHL

nineteensixty5

Post by nineteensixty5 »

21 GA last night. What an embarrassment for the league
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

hate to say this but i agree with rocket girl on this subject i guess miracles do happen
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

They actually have 3 top teams that could win the championship. Like I said west has more parity but I'm pretty sure don't have the best teams. And if you want to say Caledonia or other division champions walk through the first 2 rounds ur completely wrong. Last year for example Caledonia had to play Niagara Falls. They likely would of had a great series against London last year. Every year the toughest thing to win has been the conference series against st kitts. And I doubt it's gonna be any different against them or Niagara this year
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

All conferences have three top teams that could win the championship.But only the GHC have the three worst teams maybe four teams in the league.
That have really help pat the stats for the three top teams. In fact the only way Pelham isn't the worst is because of Buffalo, Buffalo is a sure win. There's not many sure wins in the league but the GHC has one.
Right now before the playoffs start Caledonia, St Kitts, N.F. and Ancaster are going to win.You can't say that about any other conference.
This will wear down the midwest and west teams that make it to the Sutherland Cup final. And this has happen almost every year not just last year.
I think the west teams and the midwest teams make it a bigger deal to win there conference than the GHC. Caledonia and St Kitts build there teams to win it all.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Fort Erie might surprise a lot of people.
Welland Cougars

RocketGirl wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:01 am Having 2 top teams does not make the Conference the best. You still have Buffalo.
Any of Caledonia, St. Kitts and NF would win the West/Mid this year.

Ancasfer would be a top team in those divisions as well. Don't mistake competitive games for quality.
BlackJacket

Post by BlackJacket »

Welland Cougars wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:35 pm
RocketGirl wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:01 am Having 2 top teams does not make the Conference the best. You still have Buffalo.

Ancasfer would be a top team in those divisions as well. Don't mistake competitive games for quality.
you've watched enough games from the other conference to make that determination have you?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

What are you basing your opinion on? The teams don't play each other, except at the very start and end of the seasons, therefore it's hypothetical. You don't know with certainty that Ancaster could beat LaSalle or Chatham or Elmira or Listowel, there's no hard facts to base this on.

This thread is asking which is the deepest Conference. I take that to mean which is the best Conference. I base my opinion of that on looking at the whole Conference, from 1-9. You might base it on something different, which is entirely ok.

So if I'm looking at a Conference from 1-9, I want to see a good balance. There's the cliché of any team can win on any given night, and for me, that goes to the Midwest this year. I think the West is very close behind, but the Midwest is just better, in my opinion. Where do you see a 9th place team pull out a regulation win on the 2nd place team? It doesn't happen very often. Plus, in looking at their standings, there's about 20 points between 1-6, string together some wins, or losses, and you could move up or down a few spots.
Queen of the GOJHL

Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

RocketGirl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:27 pm What are you basing your opinion on? The teams don't play each other, except at the very start and end of the seasons, therefore it's hypothetical. You don't know with certainty that Ancaster could beat LaSalle or Chatham or Elmira or Listowel, there's no hard facts to base this on.

This thread is asking which is the deepest Conference. I take that to mean which is the best Conference. I base my opinion of that on looking at the whole Conference, from 1-9. You might base it on something different, which is entirely ok.

So if I'm looking at a Conference from 1-9, I want to see a good balance. There's the cliché of any team can win on any given night, and for me, that goes to the Midwest this year. I think the West is very close behind, but the Midwest is just better, in my opinion. Where do you see a 9th place team pull out a regulation win on the 2nd place team? It doesn't happen very often. Plus, in looking at their standings, there's about 20 points between 1-6, string together some wins, or losses, and you could move up or down a few spots.
I agree with that statement. 1-9 the other divisons are stronger. But what welland cougars is trying to say I think is that the GH has likely the top 3 teams in the league and the fourth could be a top 2 team in the other divisions. And that is likely correct. Just trying to say that you can call the GH a "weaker sister" when the conference has 3 better teams. Congrats you have better 5-9 teams.

On the other topic of Westplayoffs beating up there teams. That's a really poor exscuse. That is just saying there too teams aren't good enouguh to walk through the weaker teams.in the GH the. 5th and 6th place teams are decent teams (not great) but the top teams are so good that they can't compete all the time. Other divisions might win the deepest division year after year but the GH has been the strongest in my opinion.
Welland Cougars

Smart guy that Cali Vairs!

Most would be a weak sister compared to Caledonia, St. Kitts and NF.
Larkman

Post by Larkman »

This is interesting - Caledonia is certainly a powerhouse - can't deny that but they are 'beatable' Looking over the past 3 years of their cup runs I see there are games they did lose in the final round (with exception of last year 4-0 route of London). There will come a time for sure when the 'vairs' will be dethroned. Perhaps this year? Can't speak so much for other conferences but follow the West close. Top teams are gaining strength as the season turns towards the playoffs - just don't think a title is a 'shoe in' for the vairs. Go West!
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Not at all a "shoe in" for the conference neither the corvairs. There is 3 teams that are capable of winning the cup. Nothing is given but from seeing the other top teams a couple times in a 7 game series it would be tough to beat the top teams in the shoe. Chatham could be a pain in the side but I don't think in a 7 game series they could beat one. The three teams. But u can say any team is beatable by looking at there record. Problem is that they don't play each other enough. Teams play different against each other. Some cross conference matches with top teams playing other top teams and lower teams playing lower teams would be great hockey to see
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

This is just a hunch, but something tells me London is the team with a legit shot at a Cup from the West. I still don't think anyone from the Mid-West will give the other two division winners many problems... I don't mean to sound like the Mid-West isn't as good or anything, but I just don't see a deep enough team over there. One team that might make some noise is Cambridge. Something about them... I could see them advancing to the league finals...

I also think some are getting too far ahead. Earlier this season I thought St.Catharines was a team that was capable of defeating the Corvairs in the playoffs. I still feel that way, but I think Niagara Falls can be added into that mix. It's their coaching, I think they'll go fairly far this year, and won't go down without a big battle. I don't see Ancaster as being a legit contender... I'm not sure why exactly, just a feeling.

But if the Falcons or Canucks do manage to take down the Corvairs, I wouldn't be cheering too hard if I was a fan of one of the other division's teams. Anyone who takes out the Corvairs will feel like they're on top of the world. Momentum can do a lot of damage in the playoffs.

I still expect Caledonia to win the divisional playoffs, but it isn't a lock like last year. :)
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Cali vairs! wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:38 pm Problem is that they don't play each other enough. Teams play different against each other. Some cross conference matches with top teams playing other top teams and lower teams playing lower teams would be great hockey to see
That's what makes this conversation seem kinda pointless. There's no real metrics which we can compare the 3 conferences interlocking so it all boils down to biases.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Yea people will always stick with there conference. And you can't really take start of the year games to compare them either. This conversation will always be the same
Welland Cougars

BlackJacket wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:49 am
Welland Cougars wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:35 pm

you've watched enough games from the other conference to make that determination have you?
Yes, I have.