Maroons officially add Brendan D'Agostino

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

flyers2011

Maroons officially add Brendan D'Agostino

Post by flyers2011 »

Chatham officially signs the 3rd leading scorer in the GOJHL. Ive known for a couple weeks this was coming, finally made official. Maroons loading up.
End of a era in Leamington
Cali vairs!

Re: Maroons officially add Brendan D'Agostino

Post by Cali vairs! »

wonder what they had to give up for him. Only thing thorold really had going for them. Really good passer which will certainly help chatam
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Wow!! Chatham is a serious contender after this move. Kid has amazing hands and is a points machine. Can't believe they were able to get that kid. :o

Anyone know if he'll be in the lineup Sunday?
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Red blacks

Post by Red blacks »

Cali vairs! wrote:wonder what they had to give up for him. Only thing thorold really had going for them. Really good passer which will certainly help chatam
$$$$$$$$$$$
HockeyGod

Post by HockeyGod »

Any player is available for the right price.Chatham just proved that so,the league has no rules on how much money you can spend.If your a maroon fan you have to be happy this team is only getting stronger.If your a fan of the GOJHI you have to wonder what the hell is going on,well here's the facts chatham has one player from chatham on the team the rest are from near by areas and the rest are bought and paid for from all over just check their roster.To the Prez of the GOJHI how long are you going to let this spending from the teams with lots of money continue.My point is this continues in the next 5yrs their will be many teams folding up.To the teams that don't grow their own players and just spend instead you are going to ruin this league,If the GOJHI doesn't come up with plan to control this I think the league is in big trouble.
BlackJacket

Post by BlackJacket »

The scoring title this year is flawed and may as well have an asterisk(*) next to it because of the teams in the Golden Horseshoe conference that get to feed on their inferior opponents. Case in point D'Agostino. That being said he sits third in league scoring and that is impressive.

The moves Chatham has made are impressive and other teams are taking note, no doubt. They are clearly a resilient group with all the rumours swirling about the organization before camp even began. If the new additions are able to fit in and this group is able to come together under a new head coach they are a force to be reckoned with. It will be interesting to see if their style of play changes at all with the changes they've made.

3 days left until the deadline, more yet to come?

To HockeyGod and others that are, I'll say "perplexed", over privately owned teams that are spending cash to acquire players.. I refer you to the Lasalle Vipers. Almost all of their players are from Lasalle or the close by surrounding area minus a few exceptions. They haven't spent anything to acquire players because their roster is the same as when the season started. All they have done is sit in first place.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

Have not been all that impressed with D'Agostina in the games I have seen against Caledonia, he had little to no impact in any of those games. Hopefully playing with better players around him he will be better. Can't argue with the points he has put up, but I don't see him being a game changer.
Unhappy fan

Post by Unhappy fan »

Hey Blackjet if only La Sally's operations were that simple. How many players had their registration paid for and a few other little "incentives" along the way. Junior "B" hockey as we used to know barely exists anymore. The privately owned organizations including La Salle are killing Junior "B" hockey.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

HockeyGod wrote:Any player is available for the right price.Chatham just proved that so,the league has no rules on how much money you can spend.If your a maroon fan you have to be happy this team is only getting stronger.If your a fan of the GOJHI you have to wonder what the hell is going on,well here's the facts chatham has one player from chatham on the team the rest are from near by areas and the rest are bought and paid for from all over just check their roster.To the Prez of the GOJHI how long are you going to let this spending from the teams with lots of money continue.My point is this continues in the next 5yrs their will be many teams folding up.To the teams that don't grow their own players and just spend instead you are going to ruin this league,If the GOJHI doesn't come up with plan to control this I think the league is in big trouble.
The league has always been this way nothing has changed. Money has always been involved in the game if you have followed the league for the last 20 years these big teams have always spent money
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

HockeyGod wrote:Any player is available for the right price.Chatham just proved that so,the league has no rules on how much money you can spend.If your a maroon fan you have to be happy this team is only getting stronger.If your a fan of the GOJHI you have to wonder what the hell is going on,well here's the facts chatham has one player from chatham on the team the rest are from near by areas and the rest are bought and paid for from all over just check their roster.To the Prez of the GOJHI how long are you going to let this spending from the teams with lots of money continue.My point is this continues in the next 5yrs their will be many teams folding up.To the teams that don't grow their own players and just spend instead you are going to ruin this league,If the GOJHI doesn't come up with plan to control this I think the league is in big trouble.
It doesn't work for them all the time though and sometimes these small priced teams can win also. Somebody brought up Rene Vilon from years ago in London he would spend tons of money and what did he win? RG can back this up look at the Rockets under Dan Gibson always a very competitive team and cash strapped. Look at Stratford when they won back to back they didn't spend tons of money. The league has always been this way it's nothing new here
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

you guys can wine and complain all you want say the lower teams aren't competitive blah blah blah we can have this argument till the cows come home and pigs fly but reality is atleast in the west any team can win on any night st marrys proved that they laid an ass kickin to lasalle in lasalle then lasalle got beat by the rebuilding flyers sarnia beat up london real nice as well i seen on poinstreak as i wasnt able to be at the game. So why dont everyone grow up and quit there bitching ive seen the rockets do well against chatham ANY TEAM CAN BE BEAT money wont always win you a championship. End of story. Unahappy fan if your that unhappy DO something about it get involved help a club out there are ways IT CAN BE DONE.
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Unhappy fan

Post by Unhappy fan »

I have been around hockey for a very long time, and I have never seen the largesse that clubs engage in to obtain players. Two years ago Chatham spent a small fortune and got what? The point I have continued to re-enforce is community owned organizations do not have access to huge amounts of cash to buy players no matter the outcome and every year. That alone tips the scales in favour of privately owned teams no matter what the outcome is. The chasm between the teams is growing ever wider and as I have stated along with several others on this site is the smaller market teams will cease to exist. Take away Chanderdats bankroll and what would be in Lambton Shores?
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

Unhappy fan wrote:I have been around hockey for a very long time, and I have never seen the largesse that clubs engage in to obtain players. Two years ago Chatham spent a small fortune and got what? The point I have continued to re-enforce is community owned organizations do not have access to huge amounts of cash to buy players no matter the outcome and every year. That alone tips the scales in favour of privately owned teams no matter what the outcome is. The chasm between the teams is growing ever wider and as I have stated along with several others on this site is the smaller market teams will cease to exist. Take away Chanderdats bankroll and what would be in Lambton Shores?
You bring up what chatham did a couple years back for your argument then turn around and say we got beat in the first round. There for where did it get them my point is you dont HAVE to spend that kind of money to win hockey games. With all this so called cash chatham pays the preds why arent they icing a competitive team yet hell according to my calculation and what people say we pay them they could be in excess of over about 30000 dollers. ITS NOT THE MONEY WINNING chatham hockey games heart and coaching will win game 6 out of 7 days a week. END OF STORY
Last edited by brad 36 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

Maybe some teams need cease to exist!! Unfortunately times are changing and the way things have been done for years may not work anymore. I don't like some of the money that seems to be involved now, but that seems to be the future of doing business in Ontario junior hockey. I just want to see good competitive hockey each night.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

Vairs61 wrote:Maybe some teams need cease to exist!! Unfortunately times are changing and the way things have been done for years may not work anymore. I don't like some of the money that seems to be involved now, but that seems to be the future of doing business in Ontario junior hockey. I just want to see good competitive hockey each night.
i want to see competitive hockey as well but my point is it can be done with out crazy amount of money st marrys is living proof of that since the break they have been playing great hockey and it bit lasalle in the ass and almost bit chatham friday night.
friday night was probably one of the best games ive ever seen st marrys play and for a young team other than a couple guys they put in a hell of an effort
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

I prefer the Vipers approach (good ownership, good off-season scouting, good coaching and create a positive team environment).

The Maroon approach is lazy ownership, no off-season scouting, poor coaching, spend a lot of money on players and no money on what the players need and create a terrible team environment where no one has any chemistry. On paper this may appear to be a good team, but I predict that they will not come together and lose out in the play-offs (second round).
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

brad 36 wrote:With all this so called cash chatham pays the preds why arent they icing a competitive team yet hell according to my calculation and what people say we pay them they could be in excess of over about 30000 dollers.
No, it doesn't ice a competitive hockey team, but it fields a heck of a baseball team.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Unhappy fan wrote:Hey Blackjet if only La Sally's operations were that simple. How many players had their registration paid for and a few other little "incentives" along the way. Junior "B" hockey as we used to know barely exists anymore. The privately owned organizations including La Salle are killing Junior "B" hockey.
This is how these leagues have always been and always will be. It's not like we have teams folding every year like the GMHL.

And how about St.Marys? Used to be a top team then they hit rock bottom. Well they still don't have the money some of the other teams have. But they've made some interesting moves this season and look to be in the right direction.

It's easy to blame the teams with better resources for the bottom teams problems. But when you have teams like Lambton Shores, who are willing to sell their talent year after year, that's the real problem. If kids want out, get prospects back like St.Marys has done. All Lambton ever does is collect the money for their talent, and not invest it in making their team better.

There's more than one way to look at this. The top teams compensate the bottom teams for their 19-20 year olds. It isn't the top teams problem/fault if the other team decides to only want cash, that will never go towards making their team any better.

I've followed this Jr.B league since the 90's. It's always been like this. And the bottom teams have turned into good teams over the years, when they've done things right. St.Catharines was at the bottom for several years, so was Stoney Creek(Ancaster), Leamington, etc.

It's all about if you want your team to do well. Clearly there's owners in this league that are running their teams into the ground. Sad but true.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Unhappy fan wrote:
I have been around hockey for a very long time, and I have never seen the largesse that clubs engage in to obtain players.
Niagara Falls ownership used to sell off houses so they could pay their players serious cash. This was in the late 90's and early 2000's. So yeah, this is how the league has always been. :)

brad 36 wrote:
You bring up what chatham did a couple years back for your argument then turn around and say we got beat in the first round. There for where did it get them my point is you dont HAVE to spend that kind of money to win hockey games. With all this so called cash chatham pays the preds why arent they icing a competitive team yet hell according to my calculation and what people say we pay them they could be in excess of over about 30000 dollers. ITS NOT THE MONEY WINNING chatham hockey games heart and coaching will win game 6 out of 7 days a week. END OF STORY
Nailed it!