Favorites to win it all

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Favorites to win it all

Post by Port hockey1 »

Gotta figure London has a good chance of ending Caledonia's Sutherland Cup streak this season. They had a solid team to begin with but have added several big names over the last several weeks. They look like a team that doesn't really have any weaknesses.

I figure London & Caledonia are the clear cut favorites this season. Also think St.Catharines has a legit shot this season. They've been a very solid team that has been playing better & better as the season has passed.

Not sure what to expect from the Mid-West. Listowel & Elmira look like contenders to win that division, but I'm not sure if either of them are deep enough to compete with the three teams listed above. I'm not trying to take anything away from that division, but they have a lot to prove after the last couple of seasons.

I think a London vs Caledonia Cup final would be the best hockey this league has seen in years. Same goes for St.Catharines if they face London. But I really can't see anyone from the West taking London out in a seven game series, not even LaSalle, Chatham or Leamington.

What does everyone else think?
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Re: Favorites to win it all

Post by RocketGirl »

I don't think you can count any team out yet. LaSalle is traditionally a play-off team. This doesn't mean I don't agree with your assessment that London will be the West rep, but I still think it's a little too early to speculate.

As for the Midwest, I haven't been paying as much attention this year, but Listowel just lost their goalie, so I expect them to drop a little now.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

I don't think you're giving the Midwest enough credit. They're usually one of the most competitive each year, and beat the living sh** out of each other so the Cherry Cup winners are usually pretty banged up.

From my vantage point, Elmira is a legit contender. Listowel has done a lot of winning this year, but I feel like they don't have that pure skill factor that Elmira has when they trot out Brown and Skinner. Nothing against Huber and Lansink, but that Elmira team has an innate ability to just put the pedal to the metal and cut your heart out. And Reinhart is the best goalie in the entire GOJHL, in my opinion.

I wish I could say my Winter Hawks were Suthy bound, but I feel like we'll be in a battle just for a Cherry because the MW has 6 legit teams from the Listy/Elmira down through Cambridge, Waterloo, Kitchener and Stratty.

From the other side, from what I've seen of the West, London is obvious, but I really like that LaSalle team too. Think they have surprise potential.

In the Shoe, they have two obvious teams and after that I don't see anything (have only seen about 4 GH games this year - mostly in Ancaster and Caledonia - besides the showcase games)

RG - Baier is going to Windsor? Isn't him signing just to have him on a card, not to actually take him?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Normally when an OHL club announces that they've signed a kid, it means he's going there to play. But I've also seen all kinds of tweets welcoming him to Windsor, including 1 from Michael DiPietro, their current goalie, and he responded saying he's excited to get there.

So based on that, I'd say he's going to Windsor, but I guess we'll see.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote:I don't think you can count any team out yet. LaSalle is traditionally a play-off team. This doesn't mean I don't agree with your assessment that London will be the West rep, but I still think it's a little too early to speculate.

As for the Midwest, I haven't been paying as much attention this year, but Listowel just lost their goalie, so I expect them to drop a little now.
Did he join the spitts roster or did they just sign him
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Personally I think St Catharines will win it all this year, and I could see a London vs Chatham final IF Chatham gets it together off the ice.
End of a era in Leamington
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

My prediction is another st kitts vs Caledonia final. Each of these teams are extremely talented. Can't speak About lasalles team because I have not seen them play. From what I heard London is supposed to be a solid team but when I went and saw them play Chatham they dominated the 1st period but then they fell off and Chatham took over. London looked terrible. That is obviously not how they usually play though so I can't judge them off that game. I don't see a lot of very talented teams in the Midwest. Even against some of the better teams in there division, brantford competes with. Brantford usually loses all the games in the third. So from what I've seen there division isn't the strongest but you never know come playoff time
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

There's only one team to beat. And there the champs. It's not going to be easy to beat Caledonia in a 7 game series.
With the trade deadline coming up. We will have to see who or what kind of players teams pickup.
I can't comment on the other conferences. I have seen some Midwest games. The Showcase but all the teams have made changes.
I wouldn't be surprise if Caledonia and St Kitts are in the final. I think one of these teams will get the wildcard.
The other conferences will beat up on each other.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

If chatham get there d situation fixed they could be a serious contender as well
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!