Maroons FIRE Verbeek

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

BlackJacket

Maroons FIRE Verbeek

Post by BlackJacket »

The Chatham Maroons fired Brian Verbeek on Tuesday despite their strong start in his first season as head coach.

The Maroons didn't give any reason for the surprising move, but Verbeek cited a “difference in management philosophy.”

Verbeek said president/general manager Bill Szekesy had been interfering with his coaching decisions.

“I told them, 'I'm not a puppet,'” Verbeek said. “If you're looking for a puppet, I'm not your guy.”

Assistant coaches Bob Burroughs and Ryan Hope will serve as interim co-coaches until a replacement is named.
flyers2011

Re: Maroons FIRE Verbeek

Post by flyers2011 »

Chatham's downfall
End of a era in Leamington
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm pretty sure he's the first to actually come out and say that Szekesy tries to control them like puppets.

I'm a little surprised with this news though. Considering how well they are doing.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Verbeek said president/general manager Bill Szekesy had been interfering with his coaching decisions.

“I told them, 'I'm not a puppet,'” Verbeek said. “If you're looking for a puppet, I'm not your guy.”
Looks like a lot of people have been right on the money about Chatham's ownership. If he know's so much, maybe he should get behind the bench and coach the team for now on.

Meddling with the team doesn't work, period.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Unhappy fan

Post by Unhappy fan »

I am a tad confused over the ex Chatham coach firing. The level of expertise apparently is to constantly yell and swear at your players, berate the referees in equally as colourful a language and pat yourself on the back for being a "good" coach. The mantra we constantly here is "respect in sports" , obviously Verbeek didn't get the memo.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I was posed this question, so I'm asking you.

With Verbeek gone:

A) will Roeszler return, or

B) will Steven become head coach?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

As much as I dont agree with what unhappy fan says most of the time they hit the nail on the head on this one. Its unfortionate that things didnt work out but you cant treat your players like that and expect to keep your job.
And as for your question rg I dont think either of those are going to happen altho the first would be the more likely out of the 2 but even that im not so sure on. For now lets wait till the new year and see who they announce
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

RocketGirl wrote:I was posed this question, so I'm asking you.

With Verbeek gone:

A) will Roeszler return, or

B) will Steven become head coach?
Option "B" will be more likely. I've heard Roeszler felt like he was a puppet as well.

The coaching carousel of Chatham keeps on spinning.
BlackJacket

Post by BlackJacket »

I agree Port, I'd like to see Szekesy get behind the bench. The circus continues in Chatham but somehow the players are hanging tough and are a serious contender in the conference. Kudos to them.
hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/12/ ... rst-season

From the above article: ... He added: “I'm grateful for the opportunity. I went in with class and I told Bill I'll leave with class.”...

If taking pot shots at the owner and giving himself huge props is going out with class, then he doesn't know what class is. I wonder how he would have felt if it had been his son who was being stretchered out when he strongly encouraged players to purposely go out and injure a player enough to be stretchered out? Thankfully none of the Chatham players followed that order.
Last edited by hockeyfan77 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
FedUpSeenEnough

Post by FedUpSeenEnough »

I know zero about the entire situation in Chatham, but that newspaper article makes Verbeek sound like a serious megalomaniac. Guy seems to think he is the second coming of Scotty Bowman.
Unhappy fan

Post by Unhappy fan »

Interesting response from Brad36. I guess you condone that type of behaviour from bench staff. It's perfectly acceptable to yell and scream like a melagomanic behind the bench, use the filthiest language available all in the name of winning a game. I just find it so disgusting when pre game minor hockey teams are acknowledged for their accomplishments and five minutes into a game they witness this behaviour really gives them something to strive for eh?
hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

I'm pretty sure Brad36 was agreeing with you this time. ;) "As much as I dont agree with what unhappy fan says most of the time they hit the nail on the head on this one. Its unfortionate that things didnt work out but you cant treat your players like that and expect to keep your job."
Unhappy fan

Post by Unhappy fan »

Perhaps I misunderstood the way it was written, however I still stand by my previous remarks, the unfortunate part of this behaviour is he is not the only coach guilty of this . I once challenged all three coaches from another team asking if they thought the language and behaviour they exhibited was acceptable to young fans sitting behind them. All I got was silence and three very red faces. I rest my case.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

We had a similar situation a number of years ago in London. Rene Vilon was the owner. He kept interferring with his coaching staff to the point where he ended up being the head coach.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Anytime you see an Owner also listed as a GM there is going to be trouble, never fails. It works in Major Jr because typically those guys have NHL experience and are actual 'hockey guys' that know how an organization is supposed to run properly. Just look at Lambton Shores, Chatham and St. Thomas.....
Chatham owner hired Verbeek...what does that say about his hiring process and judgment...embarrassing.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Marcie wrote:We had a similar situation a number of years ago in London. Rene Vilon was the owner. He kept interferring with his coaching staff to the point where he ended up being the head coach.
We? I thought you were with the Rockets not the Nationals?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

BillyTheKid wrote:
Marcie wrote:We had a similar situation a number of years ago in London. Rene Vilon was the owner. He kept interferring with his coaching staff to the point where he ended up being the head coach.
We? I thought you were with the Rockets not the Nationals?
I don't think she is with the Rockets.(But I could be wrong)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

Has anyone heard what's happening with the coaching situation in Chatham? I can only assume they are taking their time in finding the right fit because of the Christmas break, but that ends next week and would only make sense that the new coach would want a few practice's before their next game.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

The press release said a new coach will be announced in the new year so for now we wait
Lilomnivore

Post by Lilomnivore »

They already do and have had for a while, Not sure on what the hold up on the official statement is.
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

Lilomnivore wrote:They already do and have had for a while, Not sure on what the hold up on the official statement is.
Can you please share. As a fan, it's driving me nuts. :D
Rick

Post by Rick »

It's Roeszler, done deal
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm not surprised they'd go back to him, since he'll do what Szekesy wants, but with the way things went down with Verbeek's hiring and Roeszler leaving, I'm surprised he would agreed to go back.
Queen of the GOJHL

flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I am sure he will get paid very well, which he should.
End of a era in Leamington
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

Rick wrote:It's Roeszler, done deal
Wrong its not tyler chatham maroons announced this morning ron horvat is the new coach of the chatham jr maroons. Welcome to chatham ron
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Where was this announced? I've looked on the Daily News, CKSN and Twitter and can't find it.
Queen of the GOJHL

brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

originally on fb rocket girl